Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
In case people forgot, Arino challenges Super Mario Kart in the episode. Can't wait to see more of Arino play Super Mario Kart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

joek0 posted:

In case people forgot, Arino challenges Super Mario Kart in the episode. Can't wait to see more of Arino play Super Mario Kart.

Super Mario Kart is kinda eh but I'd kill to see him challenge Mario Kart 64. They could do a 2-parter with the 2nd episode being staff tournaments.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It wouldn't be exactly "retro" but could you imagine a staff Double Dash tourney? That would be glorious.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Gamecube is retro now, right? Can't wait for the Four Swords live challenge!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Technically it kinda is. I mean it's twelve years old.. but it doesn't feel retro.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
It's definitely got that retro-style difficulty!

To this day I can't believe I beat the Mirror Cup...

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I was reading over some of my old papers from college tonight and came across something that seemed relevant to translation discussion.

In 1911, after the first full stage production of a Japanese translation of Shakespeare's Hamlet, a prominent novelist wrote in a newspaper article: "Dr. Tsubouchi [the translator/director] should have chosen to become a faithful translator of Shakespeare without thinking of staging a performance, or to become an unfaithful adaptor in order to put Shakespeare on the stage."

Even over a hundred years ago, people were having the debate of "authenticity" versus "localization". I know it's not going to be completely settled for me until we have some sort of brain download device that can instantly deposit the language and cultural information straight into my head before watching.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Technically it kinda is. I mean it's twelve years old.. but it doesn't feel retro.

gently caress! Why do I keep hearing things that make me feel old

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nipponophile posted:

In 1911, after the first full stage production of a Japanese translation of Shakespeare's Hamlet, a prominent novelist wrote in a newspaper article: "Dr. Tsubouchi [the translator/director] should have chosen to become a faithful translator of Shakespeare without thinking of staging a performance, or to become an unfaithful adaptor in order to put Shakespeare on the stage."
I think the real quesiton here is, did Hamlet's super-literal translation sound like he was batshit insane or not?

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

I think the real quesiton here is, did Hamlet's super-literal translation sound like he was batshit insane or not?

Translator's note: Nothing means vagina. And everything means penis.

Erwin Tuwonwon fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 6, 2013

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Obeast posted:

What could be tasty in a game store? :confused:

I'll tell you one thing -- he's not referring to anything edible.

Nipponophile posted:

In 1911, after the first full stage production of a Japanese translation of Shakespeare's Hamlet [...]

This got me curious about the Japanese translation of "to be or not to be." There's a little section about it in the Japanese wiki article on Hamlet that talks about the different interpretations/translations it's had over the decades. From oldest to most recent:

(復讐を)すべきかすべきでないか: "To do or not to do" (take revenge)
生きるべきか死ぬべきか: "To live or to die"
世にある、世にあらぬ: "To exist, to not exist"

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
As someone with no practical experience translating, but who's studying to pursue a career in translating, I think it's more important to think about the meaning behind the original language instead of getting hung up on the words themselves.

Take honorifics for example, since whether or not to use them is a common argument in fansubbing cirlces. They convey a lot of meaning, but most English speakers aren't going to have any idea what "chan" means or why it's tacked onto the end of names sometimes, so to them it doesn't mean anything at all. You should think "This character is calling that character [name]chan because they're close, how do I convey that closeness in English?" rather than just leaving it as-is and calling it a day.

I wouldn't do anything silly like calling rice balls donuts, but leaving a phrase untranslated like "o-baka-chan-tachi" is just lazy.

In short, TV-Nihon sucks. Mostly because they seem to barely understand Japanese at all, but also because they're lazy translators who probably don't really give a poo poo about the work they do.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Although I'm one for avoiding using honorifics in translations, orenroren had a pretty good reason for it in his LPs of the Dangan Ronpa series: they're murder mystery games that often convey crucial details through subtle writing.

Sure, you could go through the whole game and try to lock down any instance where localizing the honorifics could cause issues in how important information is presented to you, but that's a little absurd to expect a single person to do just for a Lets Play.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

The DVD box was confirmed to be region free, right? I'm finally going to get around importing it to Germany but I want to make sure it'll actually play on my PS3 first.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

zari-gani posted:

I'll tell you one thing -- he's not referring to anything edible.

This got me curious about the Japanese translation of "to be or not to be." There's a little section about it in the Japanese wiki article on Hamlet that talks about the different interpretations/translations it's had over the decades. From oldest to most recent:

(復讐を)すべきかすべきでないか: "To do or not to do" (take revenge)
生きるべきか死ぬべきか: "To live or to die"
世にある、世にあらぬ: "To exist, to not exist"

Geeze, I never realized how difficult translating "to be or not to be" could be. Japanese doesn't really have a word that combines the copula and existential verbs, I guess. Those are all possible renderings, but they seem somehow more limited than the original.

I think I'd go with, "To be or not to be, sore ga mondai, o-baka-chan-tachi."

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Katana Gomai posted:

The DVD box was confirmed to be region free, right? I'm finally going to get around importing it to Germany but I want to make sure it'll actually play on my PS3 first.
Yes, the DVDs are region and DRM free, meaning you can even rip and stream them from your computer to your PS3 if you so desired (although I think it's a little tricky since the subtitles are actual DVD subtitles, not on the video itself like SAGCCX's videos).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Obeast posted:

Yes, the DVDs are region and DRM free, meaning you can even rip and stream them from your computer to your PS3 if you so desired (although I think it's a little tricky since the subtitles are actual DVD subtitles, not on the video itself like SAGCCX's videos).

Just to be clear, that's the US DVD set. The Japanese DVD's are region 2 disks.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

zari-gani posted:

This got me curious about the Japanese translation of "to be or not to be."

The soliloquies presented another problem in that they were an unfamiliar mechanic to the Japanese audience. Shakespeare and his contemporaries used the soliloquy to have a character explain his thoughts and state of mind to the audience, but traditional Japanese theater such as Noh or Kabuki typically used a narrator to explain the proceedings. Some early adaptations tried to move the monologues to the narrator instead, but in some early adaptations Hamlet's soliloquies, including the play's most famous line, were written out entirely.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nipponophile posted:

The soliloquies presented another problem in that they were an unfamiliar mechanic to the Japanese audience. Shakespeare and his contemporaries used the soliloquy to have a character explain his thoughts and state of mind to the audience, but traditional Japanese theater such as Noh or Kabuki typically used a narrator to explain the proceedings. Some early adaptations tried to move the monologues to the narrator instead, but in some early adaptations Hamlet's soliloquies, including the play's most famous line, were written out entirely.

This is really interesting, I had no idea about this. It reminds me a lot of Kurosawa's Throne of Blood and its differences from Macbeth due to these cultural differences (e.g. "Macbeth" being killed in a duel at the end was seen as an honorable way to die in Japanese culture and had to be changed to his men turning on him, the ultimate disgrace, to have the same effect).

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

kirbysuperstar posted:

It probably doesn't feel retro because Nintendo basically went and recycled its technology into the Wii, which was released alongside the next generation of consoles. So people were still playing a Gamecube up until the release of the Wii U.

A more sobering thought is that the NES is getting pretty close to being "vintage" gaming at this point, if it's not there already.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Tewratomeh posted:

A more sobering thought is that the NES is getting pretty close to being "vintage" gaming at this point, if it's not there already.

I'm not sure how we're defining vintage, but considering you can make a better than NES-equivalent game on a PC using free tools in a few hours I'd say it's pretty much there.

EDIT To pre-emptively clarify, I'm mainly referring to looping-style games and not something like Final Fantasy. Someone who knows what they're doing with Unity or Gamemaker: Studio and can slap together decent pixel art reasonably quickly could make a game like 1942, Binary Land and the like within a work day or two.

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 6, 2013

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

Cross posting from the gif thread cause it owns

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

univbee posted:

I'm not sure how we're defining vintage, but considering you can make a better than NES-equivalent game on a PC using free tools in a few hours I'd say it's pretty much there.

The commonly accepted time frame seems to be about 40 years after the fact, so the NES isn't quite there, but the old Pong machines or the Odyssey or whatever might.

Once those of us in our 20's or early 30's reach Arino's age, the NES will be "vintage", and anything from roughly the 360 and earlier will be "retro". Man, I can't wait to play some Red Dead Redemption on my Totally Retro X-Box.

As if there'll be a working 360 left in existence by then.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

univbee posted:

A 3rd-gen PSP and a $10 cable? :v:

I wish I knew why the Japanese were so dang infatuated with 4 which has to be the absolute worst of the SNES era FFs, and is sort of a bad game in general. It gets all the rereleases and all of the nostalgia love.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Meme Emulator posted:

I wish I knew why the Japanese were so dang infatuated with 4 which has to be the absolute worst of the SNES era FFs, and is sort of a bad game in general.

Yeah, Mystic Quest was clearly superior.

Also, you're wrong and a bad person.

But, more on topic, has there ever been talk about re-subbing the Northern Trip special that, I'm assuming, TV Nihon did? It's probably one of my favorite episodes because it's literally just an hour long tamage, but now I must be suspect of what Arino REALLY thinks about clown-themed chance games due to TV Nihon's questionable quality.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Meme Emulator posted:

I wish I knew why the Japanese were so dang infatuated with 4 which has to be the absolute worst of the SNES era FFs, and is sort of a bad game in general. It gets all the rereleases and all of the nostalgia love.

I honestly don't know how you can say that when FF5 exists.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

Yeah, Mystic Quest was clearly superior.

Also, you're wrong and a bad person.

Mystic Quest owns. :3:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

TheWanderingNewbie posted:

Mystic Quest owns. :3:

Certainly hard to beat the amount of metal it had for battle themes. :rock:

Too bad RPGs don't make for good TV, I'd like to see Arino play that one. (Did it ever actually get released in Japan? Thought I read somewhere they made it just for the US because we sucked at RPGs or whatever.)

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Ciaphas posted:

Mystic Quest had the most badass three loving battle themes for the sheer VIGOUR they had. Seriously love those.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I honestly don't know how you can say that when FF5 exists.
As much as I love FFV, it's certainly the weakest of the SNES era since it only has the job-class system going for it. And pirates.
I think the Japanese love FFIV so much because of how classical it is, like the whole story is very reminiscent of a westernised Jidaichi thing so maybe they get really romantic about it for the parallels they might have between it and some old tales.
That's just me though, I have no idea.

univbee posted:

This is really interesting, I had no idea about this. It reminds me a lot of Kurosawa's Throne of Blood and its differences from Macbeth due to these cultural differences (e.g. "Macbeth" being killed in a duel at the end was seen as an honorable way to die in Japanese culture and had to be changed to his men turning on him, the ultimate disgrace, to have the same effect).
Wow really?! drat I had no idea, that's actually really fascinating to hear about Shakespeare in Japan and changes they have to make. Certainly makes me feel better about things we have to change from their works.
That also makes sense too since gently caress Macbeth you pussywhipped piece of shitfuck :argh:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

But, more on topic, has there ever been talk about re-subbing the Northern Trip special that, I'm assuming, TV Nihon did? It's probably one of my favorite episodes because it's literally just an hour long tamage, but now I must be suspect of what Arino REALLY thinks about clown-themed chance games due to TV Nihon's questionable quality.

Stuff that hasn't been subbed before is top priority. We may eventually do some of the stuff TV-Nihon has done, but that won't be for a while. Sometimes I'll think stuff like, "I really want to translate the Konami Wai Wai episode," but I quickly shoot myself down with "but our time and effort should be focused on non-subbed challenges." Ghosts'n Goblins was an exception because our intention was to release the whole trilogy, along with Clover's help, in time for Halloween. Something like that might happen again in the future if it fits the occasion but don't count on it. Northernmost Trip will probably be subbed by us one day but not for a while.

I thought it might interest you guys to know that sometimes Japanese TV subs aren't the greatest. I mean they're usually accurate, but really simplified to the gist of what was said.

An example from the GCCX in USA episode. When asked what they like about Arino, someone said: "I just love the fact that you have someone who is... a little bit older, but is still really into the video games. So it's fun seeing him play through them."

The Japanese subtitle said: "How he's knowledgeable about video games. It's fun to watch him play."

When Ray said: "I've run a fansite for about five years now. I discovered the show on the Internet and I started to write up all the episodes and it's been a lot of fun so far. I'm still covering the show."

The subtitle said: "I learned about the show five years ago. I run a fansite." :geno:

Ray, how does it feel to know that you've been portrayed as a gaijin robot?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I've found Japanese subs to be all-around pretty terrible and often avoid nuances entirely, but then I think there's a cultural thing there too (i.e. subs need to be raw information only). One example that stuck out for me the most was the movie "The Queen" where everyone used the neutral verb tense when speaking to the loving Queen of England. I only watched it because I was expecting it to be dripping with honorific language and came away extremely disappointed.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Ciaphas posted:

Too bad RPGs don't make for good TV, I'd like to see Arino play that one. (Did it ever actually get released in Japan? Thought I read somewhere they made it just for the US because we sucked at RPGs or whatever.)

They did a Fire Emblem challenge for Nintendo Channel, but even the Producer told him that clearing the entire game would be impossible, so they just set a certain goal for him to meet before 5 hours(clear a certain part with all of your men intact or something).

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I'm really late to this but I was just wondering what happened with the RGC2 translation and then looked to see that zari-gani had joined the team. Glad to hear it's still going on, I was worried they had abandoned it completely.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ciaphas posted:

It totally got a release in Japan, but you're pretty much right: they called the Japanese release "Final Fantasy USA" or someshit :eng101:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I was playing Punch-Out!! for Wii earlier, and every time Soda Popinski knocked me down and laughed, I just pictured Arino mimicking his laugh and lost it.

FinalGamer posted:

I think the Japanese love FFIV so much because of how classical it is, like the whole story is very reminiscent of a westernised Jidaichi thing so maybe they get really romantic about it for the parallels they might have between it and some old tales.

I know the classical aspect and heavy medieval fantasy bent is why I love it. It's the last FF to really cling to those DnD roots and have paladins and dark knights and wizards in pointy hats running around, and it's got a cool and straightforward personal journey for the main character. It also feels a lot more sure-handed and less experimental than some of the other titles in the series. Sure, it's no FF6, but I'd rank it pretty high. Certainly higher than the NES games or FF5.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Does anyone here know Khmer or anyone who knows it? Khmer-English websites just aren't cutting it; I need a person.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I'd probably check the Language subforum in A/T.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=162

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Ray, how does it feel to know that you've been portrayed as a gaijin robot?

For the record, it was totally expected, plus the katakana-ized Japanese I used. At least it wasn't a diplomacy meeting.

BTA
Sep 30, 2012

Hokuto posted:

This is something TV-N viewers in the thread keep claiming, and it's not true. It's not a loyal translation. If you look at the comparison shot of SA vs TV-N, that's clearly a case where they do not grasp the meaning of a sentence at all, even on the most basic and fundamental level. This happens constantly in their subs, even in GCCX. They do not understand basic words or sentence syntaxes, and as a result their translations end up being completely mangled far more often than you'd think. It is not the work of loyal experts making educated editorial choices. It is the work of amateurs trying to pass themselves off as loyal experts by making editorial choices to cover up their own ignorance and inability to properly understand Japanese or English. It's a smokescreen.

On topic, I'm pumped for the Cambodia episode. I really enjoy all the trip digests the show does. The South Korea episode was great.

Fair enough. I thought they had improved as of late (or so I was lead to believe), but if they haven't... I'm an Over-Time fan, in any case.

And I've seen that blog, TheGreenAvenger. Some of them are sorta questionable (I think Begins Night was used by O-T as well? Not to say that it being a universal decision makes it a good one, though), but it's interesting to see some of the weirder stuff, like the Wizard sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
Some of the screens are personal preference, that's for sure. But you'd be surprised how badly TVN mangles some things. I'd feel bad about capping old stuff if they weren't continuing to be terrible with the new stuff too. O-T tended to use "The night it all began" instead of Begins Night.

There's a lot of Game Center CX caps in the queue now. They screwed up a lot of stuff in the northernmost game center trip, not to mention most of the interviews they translated.