Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

JaddaCaddra posted:

Well that sucks. At least he was given some kind of heads up so he could write a proper ending.

Black Mirror was great, ghostpilot. Thanks for recommending it bro :)

To be fair, both the endings for seasons 1 and 2 could stand as series finales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

To be fair, both the endings for seasons 1 and 2 could stand as series finales.

Oh dang, that's grim. It has gotta suck writing for something you think is so doomed, but at the same time it's probably good since from what I can tell, usually those types of shows get more care put into them. They aren't allowed to just glide by, so the writers put actual effort into their craft.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

JaddaCaddra posted:

Oh dang, that's grim. It has gotta suck writing for something you think is so doomed, but at the same time it's probably good since from what I can tell, usually those types of shows get more care put into them. They aren't allowed to just glide by, so the writers put actual effort into their craft.

Oh, dude... You don't even know. There are so many tiny little things tucked away in every episode, especially in season 2, that you could watch and rewatch, finding new stuff and new references along the way.

If/when you do check it out, head on over to the thread; sure you could talk about it here, but that other thread is actually good, and we're obviously all huge fans over there.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

JaddaCaddra posted:

Black Mirror was great, ghostpilot. Thanks for recommending it bro :)

Certainly! :) Oh and another one that I can't believe slipped through my mind until now: A Nero Wolfe Mystery are excellent as well (the A&E Series from the early 2000's). I've gone through the series several times over the years and it's just so goddamned good.

It's unique in that, while it is episodic in nature (as per the books), they approach it like a theater production in that (aside from the principal cast) the same actors will play different roles from episode to episode (e.g. an actor playing the villain in one episode may play a client in the next, etc).

You can find most (if not the entire) series on Youtube as well. Here was my entry point into the series (the first episode after the pilot).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEk4Jz94tEk

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Oh, dude... You don't even know. There are so many tiny little things tucked away in every episode, especially in season 2, that you could watch and rewatch, finding new stuff and new references along the way.

If/when you do check it out, head on over to the thread; sure you could talk about it here, but that other thread is actually good, and we're obviously all huge fans over there.

Sounds kinda like The Wire, in the attention to detail :) Sure, I'll head over to the thread whenever I watch it and talk about it there. I'll probably still post here about other stuff though. I love the discussions that have taken place in this thread.

Ghostpilot posted:

Certainly! :) Oh and another one that I can't believe slipped through my mind until now: A Nero Wolfe Mystery are excellent as well (the A&E Series from the early 2000's). I've gone through the series several times over the years and it's just so goddamned good.

It's unique in that, while it is episodic in nature (as per the books), they approach it like a theater production in that (aside from the principal cast) the same actors will play different roles from episode to episode (e.g. an actor playing the villain in one episode may play a client in the next, etc).

You can find most (if not the entire) series on Youtube as well. Here was my entry point into the series (the first episode after the pilot).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEk4Jz94tEk

Thanks dude, looks like a pretty neat show :) Keep 'em coming, if you can. I'm happy with what you all have shown me but I'm always open for more. On a semi related note, I found this quote by the star of that show and got kinda saddened:

"I'm a bit jaded and cynical about which shows succeed on television. I worked on a fantastic show once called Nero Wolfe, but at the time A&E was transforming from the premiere intellectual cable network in America to one that airs Dog the Bounty Hunter on repeat, so it was never promoted and eventually went off the air."

Kinda sad how that still rings true even today. Also, I'm still a bit Justified obsessed, but I don't currently have access to the show so I went ahead and read "Fire in the Hole!" This line at the end, man. Really got to me (spoilers for the ending of the short story):

Art Mullen arrived wanting to know how the rear end of the Town Car got fragged, but saved asking when he saw Boyd on the floor. Raylan stood by, relating the scene step by step as Art rolled Boyd over to look at the exit wound. He said there wasn’t any doubt in his mind, a single shot from a high-caliber weapon had done the job. Art looked up at Raylan.
"He have any last words?"
"He said I’d killed him." Raylan paused. "I told him I was sorry, but he had called it."
Art was frowning now. "You’re sorry you killed him?"
"I thought I explained it to you," Raylan said in his quiet voice. "Boyd and I dug coal together."

I'm convinced, any time I hear that line from now on, I'm going to get a little saddened :(

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

JaddaCaddra posted:

Sounds kinda like The Wire, in the attention to detail :) Sure, I'll head over to the thread whenever I watch it and talk about it there. I'll probably still post here about other stuff though. I love the discussions that have taken place in this thread.

Thanks dude, looks like a pretty neat show :) Keep 'em coming, if you can. I'm happy with what you all have shown me but I'm always open for more. On a semi related note, I found this quote by the star of that show and got kinda saddened:

"I'm a bit jaded and cynical about which shows succeed on television. I worked on a fantastic show once called Nero Wolfe, but at the time A&E was transforming from the premiere intellectual cable network in America to one that airs Dog the Bounty Hunter on repeat, so it was never promoted and eventually went off the air."

Yeah, I think people have long forgotten the kind of network A&E used to be. And I hadn't heard of A Nero Wolfe Mystery until I encountered it on Netflix several years after it'd ended.

I'm glad you're liking the recommendations so far. :) Trying to think of some other shows that you haven't already seen. There was a short-lived BBC series called Psychoville which is, well, I'll let the trailer take it from here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wu10CVeq2Y

The whole series is up on Youtube ( https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9MAKF9F8wZr2AFhJB_QRAxRIEf_Krpfp ), though it's only displayed on small portion of the window.

I enjoyed Monk a great deal for the first couple seasons. I think it was somewhere around season 3 where the show took a plunge (soon before Sharona left the show). Once it got to the episode where a chimpanzee was a suspect...

The first two seasons are solid, though.

Psych is a lot of fun, with duo chemistry up there with Raylan & Boyd, Hank & Britt. Actually, I think Shawn & Gus may be my favorite duo (reminds me of how a high school buddy and I got along), It's good for the vast majority of its eight season run, too. I never did finish season 8, though.

And finally, if you wanted to go older, several years back I decided to check out a few seasons of Magnum P.I. and was surprised at how well-written and acted it was. I decided to check it out after an episode of Archer referenced a scene below from it. Tom Selleck could win anybody over. Around Season 4 was where it started to drop off for me; by the time, Tom Selleck emerged as a major sex symbol and plots became thinly-veiled romance novels / fan-fiction (an episode where he's trapped in a bank vault with Carol Burnett is the most transparent example of this).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7vW1oEKP1k

I think I'm about tapped out as far as shows to recommend now, but that'll keep you busy for awhile. :)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Haha, so I'm watching Christmas Vacation and as I do with almost every film I watch, I go through IMDB for trivia and I look up all of the people involved. The smarmy douche (that's not Chevy Chase) neighbour character is played by Nicholas Guest, who also played John Teller. Neat!

And what a major step down! :haw:

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
I'm about to head off to bed guys, just wanted to pop on and wish you all a happy New Year! And to thank Ghostpilot for his newest recommendations of course. Thanks man :)

Talk to you guys next year! Have a good one :)

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
So, last night I had a dream that King Arthur movie Charlie Hunnam is set to star in came out. It was seven hours long and the entire first act was just him talking and playing around on a chess set talking about some kinda war plan involving tons of double crossing like he was Jax.

This show has kinda ruined that actor for me.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
That's really too bad. He's a great actor, and the scripts/show he read before he took the role on were legitimately good. It reminds me of a Roger Ebert quote:

"Kristen Stewart is a fine actress, and I must not hold Twilight against her."

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Except he didn't live long enough to realize that no, she's really just a lovely actress with a wooden face in every movie following Twilight.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah, the guy's a decent actor, but any time I see him on screen I'm gonna be expecting him to betray someone. For now at least. I doubt it's a permanent thing.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
So has anyone checked out Outsiders, that new show with Ryan Hurst? I don't have high hopes for it, but I hear he's really good in it at least.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

JaddaCaddra posted:

Yeah, the guy's a decent actor, but any time I see him on screen I'm gonna be expecting him to betray someone. For now at least. I doubt it's a permanent thing.

Watching Undeclared might cure you of that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Watching Undeclared might cure you of that.

I don't mind undeclared, but I also hate it for not being Freaks and Geeks season 2.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
I might check out Undeclared some time soon. Is it something that's supposed to be funny? I'm always on the lookout for good comedic stuff.

Also, more Justified talk since I'm about to watch it again, this time with my family. A thought occurred to me not all that long ago that this is probably one of the few shows that actually handles recurring characters well. In everything else it seems like you only see the mains or the antagonists all the time, and the recurring characters pop up only when they're needed in something big, or they just do and it seems random. A recurring character appearing on Justified never felt out of place in the context of the plot though. Dewey, Arlo, Loretta and tons of others, they appeared a lot and not once was it ever just a random "Oh yeah, this character exists" kind of thing. I loved that about this show. It was just another thing that made everything seem so real.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

JaddaCaddra posted:

I might check out Undeclared some time soon. Is it something that's supposed to be funny? I'm always on the lookout for good comedic stuff.

Also, more Justified talk since I'm about to watch it again, this time with my family. A thought occurred to me not all that long ago that this is probably one of the few shows that actually handles recurring characters well. In everything else it seems like you only see the mains or the antagonists all the time, and the recurring characters pop up only when they're needed in something big, or they just do and it seems random. A recurring character appearing on Justified never felt out of place in the context of the plot though. Dewey, Arlo, Loretta and tons of others, they appeared a lot and not once was it ever just a random "Oh yeah, this character exists" kind of thing. I loved that about this show. It was just another thing that made everything seem so real.

Deadwood

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Undeclared you'll quickly know if you find it funny or not, it's not one of those shows that you need to watch a lot of it before deciding.

It really has a special place in some people's hearts because you know how you'll often watch a show set in high school and it'll be actors in their mid (or even late) 20's? There was a show called Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared that went nah, we're gonna cast actual goofy teens in these roles. Unfortunately both shows got cancelled way, way too soon but for a brief shining moment kids actually got to see kids like themselves playing themselves in their own show instead of GQ 20's models.

Botnit fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 6, 2016

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Freaks and Geeks is top tier television that pioneered cringe comedy long before The Office. It sits on that oft invisible line between drama and comedy.

Undeclared is an odd duckling because, like a lot of other shows, the first season is the creative team trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. There's some incredible riffs, but the show figures itself out - and was then summarily cancelled.

I almost want to make a Firefly comparison.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
I checked out Freaks & Geeks a long time ago and ended up not really enjoying it. I don't think it would be fair to say I disliked it, I just didn't really enjoy it all that much. Something just didn't click, I suppose. But I am gonna check out Undeclared whenever I get the chance.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

JaddaCaddra posted:

I checked out Freaks & Geeks a long time ago and ended up not really enjoying it. I don't think it would be fair to say I disliked it, I just didn't really enjoy it all that much. Something just didn't click, I suppose. But I am gonna check out Undeclared whenever I get the chance.

I recently watched Undeclared and it's a lot better than I remembered. Freaks and Geeks is still better than it in every possible way though, so.....

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Junkenstein posted:

I recently watched Undeclared and it's a lot better than I remembered. Freaks and Geeks is still better than it in every possible way though, so.....

Hey, that girl that Sam liked, did she actually fart, or was it the vinyl seat? I can't remember.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Junkenstein posted:

I still might end up liking it though. I'm kinda weird like that. Sometimes I end up liking the "lesser" version of shows or movies. Plus it's been forever since I last gave Freaks & Geeks a shot, so I might have warmed up to it by now.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I have nothing to contribute to this thread except JaddaCaddra. How's it going? Jesus, look at you keeping the Sutter alive ( in the best way).

Awkward.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

I like to think the thread is somehow an entirely separate entity from the show; kind of like a support group.

Speaking of the thread, I'd like some (easy) way of archiving the recaps, emoticons, gifs and all. Not that I think that I'd use them again for anything, but a lot of work went into them and it'd be a shame to see them lost one day.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

rejutka posted:

I have nothing to contribute to this thread except JaddaCaddra. How's it going? Jesus, look at you keeping the Sutter alive ( in the best way).

Awkward.

Oh hey rejutka. It's been going pretty good for the most part. Been going a little bit stir crazy and worrying about some stuff, but other than that I've been doing alright. Definitely feeling better than I was back in December. The whole month wasn't bad but there were some parts where I felt just awful. Got better near the end though, and that's been kinda consistent ever since, thankfully. I haven't got around to checking out a lot of the shows recommended to me here yet unfortunately, but I've been watching some pretty good movies and looking into scary stuff to kill the time. How have you been doing?

Yeah, haha. I know it probably sounds silly, but I've had an awesome time in this thread with you guys and just don't want to see it go, not yet. I at least want it to still be kicking by the time that Mayans spin off rolls around so we can discuss/make fun of it here. Until then, I thought it would be cool to discuss various awesome shows, like we have been :)

Ghostpilot posted:

I like to think the thread is somehow an entirely separate entity from the show; kind of like a support group.

Speaking of the thread, I'd like some (easy) way of archiving the recaps, emoticons, gifs and all. Not that I think that I'd use them again for anything, but a lot of work went into them and it'd be a shame to see them lost one day.

That's about how I like to look at it, too. We're all united for our common dislike of this show's last couple of seasons, haha. In a weird way though, I actually liked the last few seasons of SOA. Not as much as the earlier seasons, and I really didn't like where a lot of storylines threads ended up going, but I still enjoyed the experience. Then again, that was more due to outside things than the actual show itself, I think. Not really sure, but I know I had fun.

I'll get on finding a way to preserve your recaps buddy :)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jadda, ANYTHING you could bring up here would still be far, far more entertaining than actually watching and discussing a post-Shield Kurt Sutter endeavor. I think we all can agree that there's really nothing tv-related you could post in here that would actually make it worse than when SoA was still going.

I can't remember, you HAVE seen The Shield, right?

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Jadda, ANYTHING you could bring up here would still be far, far more entertaining than actually watching and discussing a post-Shield Kurt Sutter endeavor. I think we all can agree that there's really nothing tv-related you could post in here that would actually make it worse than when SoA was still going.

I can't remember, you HAVE seen The Shield, right?

I don't know about that, the Mayans thing might end up being decent enough. Of course, he apparently still plans to step away near the beginning and pass it over to someone else, so... yeah, don't know if that counts as a Sutter endeavor, haha. Plus, I could start talking about Dexter. That'd make it worse :P

Yeah, I watched through The Shield in February of last year. I have also owned the entire series on DVD since September, but I still haven't made my way through the series a second time yet. Honestly one of the best TV shows I watched last year, which is saying a lot since it had plenty of competition. It's top three, definitely.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

JaddaCaddra posted:

I don't know about that, the Mayans thing might end up being decent enough. Of course, he apparently still plans to step away near the beginning and pass it over to someone else, so... yeah, don't know if that counts as a Sutter endeavor, haha. Plus, I could start talking about Dexter. That'd make it worse :P

Without irony, this is the best thing about Dexter. Those threads were wonderful :allears:

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Without irony, this is the best thing about Dexter. Those threads were wonderful :allears:

I didn't post in it much, but I still remember thinking the reactions to that treadmill scene were great. Good times :D

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

JaddaCaddra posted:

I didn't post in it much, but I still remember thinking the reactions to that treadmill scene were great. Good times :D

Treadmill, mickey-mouse ears, Trinity-dance, Ghost Olmos, Sirko being taken out too early, the salad cutting, creepy weirdo that was in the fast food restaurant that Dexter was 'secretly' following except he was just out in the open... oh god, and the goon drawings were SO great.

The pic with Dexter in the car with all of the people in his head was excellent.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Treadmill, mickey-mouse ears, Trinity-dance, Ghost Olmos, Sirko being taken out too early, the salad cutting, creepy weirdo that was in the fast food restaurant that Dexter was 'secretly' following except he was just out in the open... oh god, and the goon drawings were SO great.

The pic with Dexter in the car with all of the people in his head was excellent.

Oh god, that all sounds great. Makes me wish I had found this place earlier :( I remember the restaurant scene though. That was glorious, especially when Dexter was all like "What the... How did he see me?!" later on. And they actually tried to play it like he was Solid Snake or something. Hah, you remember the spyware/"hacking" thing? Wasn't it something like "He put it on my computer, so now I can see what HE'S doing, too!"

I don't think I recall that pic. What was it?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

JaddaCaddra posted:

Oh god, that all sounds great. Makes me wish I had found this place earlier :( I remember the restaurant scene though. That was glorious, especially when Dexter was all like "What the... How did he see me?!" later on. And they actually tried to play it like he was Solid Snake or something. Hah, you remember the spyware/"hacking" thing? Wasn't it something like "He put it on my computer, so now I can see what HE'S doing, too!"

I don't think I recall that pic. What was it?

It was a black and white digital drawing, and it had Dexter driving, with Dad, Lila, Sirko, aaaand... poo poo, I want to say Trinity, Prado, and Olmos in the back... maybe Colin Hanks? Anyway, it was almost like a clown car, and it was glorious. (EDIT: Doakes was definitely there.... motherfuckah)

And hahaha, I had actually forgotten about that stupid custom search engine. Jesus christ, they ACTUALLY could have had that stupid intern (Louis?) gently caress with Dexter in a major way, but nooooooo.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

It was a black and white digital drawing, and it had Dexter driving, with Dad, Lila, Sirko, aaaand... poo poo, I want to say Trinity, Prado, and Olmos in the back... maybe Colin Hanks? Anyway, it was almost like a clown car, and it was glorious. (EDIT: Doakes was definitely there.... motherfuckah)

And hahaha, I had actually forgotten about that stupid custom search engine. Jesus christ, they ACTUALLY could have had that stupid intern (Louis?) gently caress with Dexter in a major way, but nooooooo.

Oh yeah, I remember seeing that now! Wasn't it in the first post for awhile? God, that was great.

Yeah, Louis was his name. I only remember that because I have a weird memory for stuff like this, and I had high hopes for the character. And then yeah, nothing ever happened. I like how the last three seasons of that show form probably the only multiple seasons wide arc the series ever had, and yet almost no changes actually happened. New cast of interesting recurring characters? Killed off a few episodes into the next season. Huge reveal? Shoved to the sidelines when we don't need it.

Seriously, the last season felt like it could have been any other, save for the last ten minutes. There was zero sense of finality going on. I don't think I need to get started on Hannah McKay.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
So watching season give again, I'm convinced that the whole thing with Kendal was a thing they made up midway through the season to fill out time. Everything else like that in this show seemed to have some kind of foreshadowing or build up, but that had precisely none. Kinda wish they didn't have to do it, because I always hate plots like that.

I can't wait to watch season six again.

Edit: I'm talking about Justified, of course. You guys probably knew, I just wanted to clarify.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I got thinking about Freaks and Geeks, and if you don't at least smirk at this clip, maybe the show isn't for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPrNLm9nR3A

Also, the Bill-peanut episode :smith:

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

I got thinking about Freaks and Geeks, and if you don't at least smirk at this clip, maybe the show isn't for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPrNLm9nR3A

Also, the Bill-peanut episode :smith:

I did get quite amused by that clip. I suppose it's worth giving a second chance :)

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
Remember when Sutter spent years hyping a SoA game only for it turn out to be some lovely mobile game?

One year later, the Sons of Anarchy game may have been a scam.

https://www.destructoid.com/one-year-later-the-sons-of-anarchy-game-may-have-been-a-scam-353741.phtml

BrandonGK fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 7, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

BrandonGK posted:

Remember when Sutter spent years hyping a SoA game only for it turn out to be some lovely mobile game?

One year later, the Sons of Anarchy game may have been a scam

Fixed the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Man, I feel bad for the customers who got wrapped up in that. But there is something so fitting about it turning out that way.

At least they'll be able to get their refunds, though it seems that Apple is left holding the bag. I'm genuinely curious what Sutter's response to this will be since he's had a hand in pushing the game. He'll probably sweep it under the rug bury it in a shallow grave.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 7, 2016

• Locked thread