Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

For sale: a distant plain, sorted, clipped, never played (by humans)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Whats unconditional surrender like?

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

CaptainRightful posted:

Here I Stand arrived today. Now I just need to talk 5 people into clearing their Tuesday night for a true anniversary experience!

You can always count me in for a PBEM game. I'll be playing with my friends this or next saturday, I really like all the changes they have done to the game.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm going to jump into a game of Here I Stand in a couple weeks, and I arbitrarily picked Protestants for the 1517 scenario. Is there anything I really ought to know that isn't made clear in the rules or the newbie's guide? I have played some 2-player CDGs but that's it for my experience in this area.

Sweeten a deal with France/Ottomans against the Pope. Even if it's a free card offer for a war against the Pope you get massive rewards as they will fight each other while you spread the Protestantism as much as you can. Try to keep your NT translations at 5 and save Printing press for a massive swing. When Schmalkaldic make sure to offer alliances and / or cards for mercs to defend your stuff. Game auto-balances masterfully so just lay low and then lung for the win.

Also a nice tip, you can commit your debaters in the middle of conversions so it's common to start the game on the way to the center of Germany and commit the guy that gives you 1 extra die for 2 spaces close to Basel. You land that and you are good to go in ALL Germany.

turboraton fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 2, 2017

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

DJ Dizzy posted:

Whats unconditional surrender like?

I only got it recently so it hasn't had a lot of play so far but that said I really like it.

Its one of the easier games to learn that I've across straight from the rulebook.
Its BIG.
The units have no attack or movement strength on them, its all regulated via a production point system (spend em all, you use em or lose em) and a clever CRT.
You can move and attack and keep moving and then attack again(mobile assault). Unit by unit, using up as many prod points as you're willing to spend. I find that gives me a lot more flexibility in building attacks and maintining supply and momentum against the enemy.
The diplomatic system is adequate but not exciting.
You can probably trick a friend into playing it easier than something heavier.
I love the air system.

I had something else to add but I cant think of it anymore...

Case Blue is available easily. Try that out in Vassal or PnP. It gives a good, if basic, introduction.

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 2, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I feel like a real designer!

I also feel exhausted. How the hell do some of these people pump out games on even a yearly basis?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

al-azad posted:

I feel like a real designer!

I also feel exhausted. How the hell do some of these people pump out games on even a yearly basis?

Why do you have an unclassified logbook on your desk?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Chill la Chill posted:

I've always wrangled another person to play ADP with the group instead of trying to figure out the bot rules. I still don't understand that map and my eyes roll back when I try and read the instructions for it.

I once played a game of Cuba Libre where the Directorio player had to drop out near the end so we had the bot take over

The bot immediately mass terrored the M26 player who went from near victory to last place

Good bot imo

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Where else to record Russian secrets? And by that I mean it's my notes.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I think this is from the same designer that ranted about making clear demarcations on maps. Turns out they are military commander roleplaying games. :psyduck:

Now I can only imagine the map argument, except it's with linear fighters soviets and exponential wizards germans

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

My dad had tons of these lying around and I would use them as notebooks growing up. I still use spare memo books as reminders

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I came across this book at a thrift store called Is Paris Burning (which, in my apathy towards WWII history I initially mistook for a novelization of celebrated gay film Paris Is Burning) and it opens with this beautiful map of troop movement in Paris. It immediately made me wonder why there isn't a wargame played by drawing symbols on a map.

The book ain't bad either. It's a series of vignettes based on interviews and ends up being better than any fictional spy novel in its detail and accuracy. And there's like eight different players involved with Paris, it could be the beginning of the next COIN-like game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

al-azad posted:

I came across this book at a thrift store called Is Paris Burning (which, in my apathy towards WWII history I initially mistook for a novelization of celebrated gay film Paris Is Burning) and it opens with this beautiful map of troop movement in Paris. It immediately made me wonder why there isn't a wargame played by drawing symbols on a map.

The book ain't bad either. It's a series of vignettes based on interviews and ends up being better than any fictional spy novel in its detail and accuracy. And there's like eight different players involved with Paris, it could be the beginning of the next COIN-like game.

...huh. Okay, so basically the goal is to deploy troops and put in terrain in good formations/lines/fronts, only you actually get to deploy them anywhere/with some restrictions, and then you can resolve the combat.

Kinda sounds like an abstract, actually, like lines and boxes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

silvergoose posted:

...huh. Okay, so basically the goal is to deploy troops and put in terrain in good formations/lines/fronts, only you actually get to deploy them anywhere/with some restrictions, and then you can resolve the combat.

Kinda sounds like an abstract, actually, like lines and boxes.

More or less, yes. A map of Paris is a labyrinthine maze that allows for more interesting interactions than a simple hex map.

The book details the last few weeks leading to Paris' liberation and goes over the tension between the occupying Germans, FFI, and civilians. It even opens with a thrilling spy infiltration that beats the poo poo out of any James Bond. But basically the idea I had rattling in my head was that the Germans are preparing for the eventual assault while the French Freedom forces are undermining them at every opportunity. Hitler wanted Choltitz to burn Paris to the ground if he had to but it's pretty clear that Choltitz wanted to stall advancement into the city and negotiate better surrender terms. So the players are openly preparing for their ultimate goals and you would physically draw these movements on the map. The Germans are building bunkers, sabotaging facilities, and moving in on FFI storehouses while the FFI are spreading propaganda, erecting barricades, and stealing munitions.

The resulting map would double as an after action report.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

You'd need an erasable surface or transparent sheet like Captain Sonar, not just for replayability but also to handle retreats/doubling back.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Nah just use NT style blocks, just that the deployment is the main part of the game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Nah just use NT style blocks, just that the deployment is the main part of the game.

I'm married to the idea of a game played entirely by drawing on a map. I picked up Ranger to see what that is all about.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I would like to play a one-time use legacy wargame where you get to draw on a map as the campaign progresses. Even get to rename things as towns get taken over, important locations named, etc.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This seems like a pretty ideal print-and-play concept to me.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

I would like to play a one-time use legacy wargame where you get to draw on a map as the campaign progresses. Even get to rename things as towns get taken over, important locations named, etc.

With an objective being "take over a large enough city that you can name it after your leader".

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

al-azad posted:

Where else to record Russian secrets? And by that I mean it's my notes.
In other words, "needed a notebook so I stole one from work," huh?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What's the point of detaching skirmishers or forming a mixed formation in Black Powder. You only throw 1 shooting die right and they can't move around autonomously

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I don't know about Black Powder, but in Sharp Practice 2 they give the unit behind them an additional level of cover.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ilor posted:

In other words, "needed a notebook so I stole one from work," huh?

No theft is necessary when you can get one on request. And literally anything you can record information in requires a classification marker even a steno pad you brought from home.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
This says much about your workplace, friend.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ilor posted:

This says much about your workplace, friend.

Since you are so interested, it is $10 on Amazon. Good binding, hard back, crinkle free paper.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

homullus posted:

I haven't played FitL, but eventually I would stop playing and just see whether I could stack the deck in such a way that I could win -- i.e., see whether it's even theoretically possible, and how many cards have to go my way to make it work. How many good events have to come very early, how many bad ones have to happen at specific points. I would need to be familiar with how the other bots act though.

Yeah, the short and medium scenarios only have 24 and 36 events respectively so they seem winnable with regard to Patronage buildup, while the long scenario with 72 events is not really possible even if you stack the deck, because ARVN will always be Training and Governing and there's nothing except a few events that NVA can do to lower Patronage. A lot of NVA's events are like "have a bunch of free resources" while several US events are basically "bomb the poo poo out of the North" so if I stacked the deck it seems possible.

Lord Frisk posted:

My dude, I hate to tell you this, but NVA does not have control of Tay Ninh.

:argh: That was just after a nice Easter Offensive, you'd think the RVN government would have fled!

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I picked up OCS Sicily II today! It looks like a lot of fun and not too hard to dive into.

I got a spare map in my copy. Anybody in Australia want it mailed to them free? Maybe yours is beat up or something. Be a grog and frame it? PM me.

No sausages in this one ☹
But there are a few mules!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

mllaneza posted:

Against The Odds is known for good production values and at least decent rules. I sorely miss the subscription I can't afford anymore.

Yeah, it arrived today and the map and counters are nicely done, especially for a magazine game. The AtO issue also includes a bunch of original essays about the wars for independence. Clearly a lot of research went into it. The mechanics are ok, if you like a lot of chrome rules and obsessive details over which regiments fought where. I don't find that aspect of wargames interesting, though.

I wonder if these conflicts could be done in a way I'd like better with a COIN game? (See also: my well thought-out plans for COINs about the Soviet-Afghan War, Lebanese Civil War, and the Third World in the Cold War.) So much of the stuff Guerra a Muerte does could be handled better by an event deck, though you'd need more extensive naval rules for the Spanish side. The wars had a handful of pitched battles but it's mostly small unit actions and a lot of irregulars fighting for both sides. Maybe a 3-player design with 2 rebel factions, representing Bolivar's idea of a unified America versus the centrifugal nationalisms that ultimately prevailed?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

It's official; Netcraft confirms it: You CAN win as solo NVA!

1968 (medium) scenario with historical events and capabilities. Barely inched out US and VC, and it only took me 8 or 9 tries. I gather the game's solitaire mode is more designed for a player to handle two bots but fuuuuck that, it's no fun. Though there are some additional difficulty options in rules chapter 8.9 that might be interesting with two factions under one player's control.

My only real advice would be: don't let the US play god damned Linebacker II! It's also probably smart to save Easter Offensive to cancel another nasty anti-NVA card too, several of which kill your bases and take away a bunch of resources.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 5, 2017

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

So, I only play long scenario these days, but I still have to ask how you kept patronage so low?

Also, I've focused on preventing Linebacker every time, but then how do you stop VC from stealing the win? (I see you just barely pulled that off.)

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

You're a madman and I love it.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

CaptainRightful posted:

So, I only play long scenario these days, but I still have to ask how you kept patronage so low?

Also, I've focused on preventing Linebacker every time, but then how do you stop VC from stealing the win? (I see you just barely pulled that off.)

I think ARVN also had a lot of trouble farming patronage in the cities, because the US wasn't carrying out its train+pacify ops much for whatever reason. Also got lucky draws on some of the event cards -- ARVN never got any big patronage boost from events, and I or VC played a couple for patronage loss. Sometimes even if a bad ARVN (or US) event comes up you can stop them from getting it by dropping a pivotal event. That could be automatically trumped by pivotals for ARVN and VC, but these are not very bad for you. You want Tet Offensive to go off at your instigation especially, because it will shift a lot of score to VC, while the ARVN bot doesn't know how to take advantage of Vietnamization.

I got lucky in more ways -- got MiGs early, didn't draw the card that allows a double Tet Offensive, didn't even draw the worst 1968 event card, Peace Talks (Linebacker playable at >25 US score). But even after the US goes Nixon they probably will get close to the threshold for playing Linebacker, so I had to game it by never being 1st eligible at the same time the US was also eligible.

Until a couple games ago, I thought NVA terror would fight VC opposition, but it turns out it only reduces support so it's not super useful. The only way to control opposition is to spam infiltrate -- ideally you can steal a base and reduce 2 opposition at once, while dropping a bunch of cubes in another space. But late in the game I had only a couple US troops in the theater so the VC were running much of the country. Bot VC march is a little too conservative, in that it tries to leave one guerrilla in every space (2 with bases) so I was able to barely outrun the VC. Again, there's gamey stuff to do here like make sure the VC never meet their rally conditions due to having 10-11 guerrillas available and no groups of 4 guerrillas.

I think next time I am going to try playing 2 factions with both the added difficulty conditions, see if it's as bad as I remember it.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 6, 2017

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

Sleekly posted:

I picked up OCS Sicily II today! It looks like a lot of fun and not too hard to dive into.

I got a spare map in my copy. Anybody in Australia want it mailed to them free? Maybe yours is beat up or something. Be a grog and frame it? PM me.

No sausages in this one ☹
But there are a few mules!

I'm Australian and have framed wargame maps in the past, so maybe I do!

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

unicr0n posted:

I'm Australian and have framed wargame maps in the past, so maybe I do!

Its not a bad looking map either. Even if I wasn't into wargames I'd be curious about it. Yours if you want it!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Need pro tips at learning and playing Here I Stand. I preordered the 500th anniversary and got 5 other people on board. I already told them they should also read the rulebook and slowly digest it. Should we expect to just play a light one-round game once or twice before really getting a full game?

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

Need pro tips at learning and playing Here I Stand. I preordered the 500th anniversary and got 5 other people on board. I already told them they should also read the rulebook and slowly digest it. Should we expect to just play a light one-round game once or twice before really getting a full game?

In my opinion it is better to know with anticipation which player is gonna play what. I'm a HiS/VQ fanatic (I know almost all cards by memory) so I can lend you a hand.

My biggest tip would be to always have in mind how can you get those VPs needed to win, I'll give you an example here, France sits at 21 VP so it can claim that it has a long shot from winning and that everyone should focus on the biggest threats, while this is true all seasoned players know they have a free VP from HC, a good shot at an exploration VP a shot of 2 VP via activation (Auld Alliance, Andrea Doria and Diplomatic Marriage, all cards it usually holds) , another VP or two via play of Smallpox, one or two VP via Copernicus or Servetus and finally good old war, be it declared or with the Prince card.

The same applies to almost all powers so I would greatly suggest you that you understand how can you score VPS and go for it. Being passive and safe works for only some rounds, you eventually have to act and discover the beauty of this game as the same situation will rarely present twice. Like, this just happened on my last game https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3773649/here-i-stand

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

turboraton posted:

In my opinion it is better to know with anticipation which player is gonna play what. I'm a HiS/VQ fanatic (I know almost all cards by memory) so I can lend you a hand.

My biggest tip would be to always have in mind how can you get those VPs needed to win, I'll give you an example here, France sits at 21 VP so it can claim that it has a long shot from winning and that everyone should focus on the biggest threats, while this is true all seasoned players know they have a free VP from HC, a good shot at an exploration VP a shot of 2 VP via activation (Auld Alliance, Andrea Doria and Diplomatic Marriage, all cards it usually holds) , another VP or two via play of Smallpox, one or two VP via Copernicus or Servetus and finally good old war, be it declared or with the Prince card.

The same applies to almost all powers so I would greatly suggest you that you understand how can you score VPS and go for it. Being passive and safe works for only some rounds, you eventually have to act and discover the beauty of this game as the same situation will rarely present twice.

So you're saying the best way to prepare for your first game is to memorize all the cards and when they will be of most benefit to each player?

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

CaptainRightful posted:

So you're saying the best way to prepare for your first game is to memorize all the cards and when they will be of most benefit to each player?

Perhaps I worded it wrong? Imagine again you play as France, you draw 5 cards, i'll use 5 at random here and you get:

Marburg Colloquy
Erasmus
Sack of Rome
Thomas More
Sebastian Cabot

You don't to previously know which card does what. But while on diplomacy you can read the effects and realize that Sack of Rome is a devastating card against the Pope. So early in diplomacy decide if you will GO against the Papacy or just save it or use it for another stuff. Don't half do things, if you wish to go against Rome you should do EVERYTHING that you can do, go ham!

Like this: Propose an alliance with England so they can't betray you with their HC. Sweeten the deal showing them Thomas Moore and promise them you won't use against them, In fact you will use it on your first or second impulse. There you go, front secured.

Propose an alliance with the Haps, be sly! Claim that the Ottos have offered something and blah blah blah you stand by them. Perhaps mention that you will go against the Pope this turn and he is well invited to join the Fray for that sweet Master of Italy cards/VP. Consider mentioning to him that you have Marburg Colloqy and you will NOT use it for the Prots and should they join you in the fray, you will let him go freely at the Protestants as you will not lend them a single merc.

There you go, no one can touch you and you can Spring Deploy near Italy. If you are extra treacherous you can approach the Protestants and claim you will go all out against the Papacy and this WILL benefit them no doubt as he will be busy defending himself instead of converting back. Show them Marburg Colloqy and claim you will play it in exchange for a card draw. Of course don't play it and don't fear any retaliation because you already agreed something with the Haps hehe.

Imagine ALL the commotion and thrill this will trigger. This game is fire.

turboraton fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 6, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Print out the "learn HiS in 20 minutes" article (up on BGG) and give it to everyone. Print out little note cards that detail everyone's exclusive actions and how they acquire victory points unique to them.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Does anyone have a copy of Next War: Korea they don't want and are willing to send to me for the cost of shipping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Does anyone have a copy of Next War: Korea they don't want and are willing to send to me for the cost of shipping?

Kicking myself for not getting it when it was available. The prices I see for it on ebay are disgusting. Join the P500 for it, its at around 350 now.

Edit: Next War Taiwan arrived yesterday funnily enough. I didn't know you could join it with Korea for a combined game. The Chinese must be real busy if you do that.

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 6, 2017