Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Pharnakes posted:

Never mind it being the battle to end all wars, it wasn't even the end of that war. They went on for two whole years after Verdun and Somme, which would have seemed to any rational mind to have proven the utter futility of it pretty effectively. Reminder that the doctrine for the time was called offensive attrition, i.e. quite literally let's jam the enemies guns with our bodies.

This is second-hand spitballing but I've heard people suggest that it would have been better to let France and Germany continue this poo poo on their own until they DID realize it was pointless and that if the US stayed out of WWI and just let them stalemate, there'd be no Treaty of Versailles and no Nazi Party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Mature response from the manager :stare:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/dec/03/oakland-ghost-ship-warehouse-fire-violations

quote:

“Everything I worked so hard for is gone,” he wrote on Facebook. “It’s as if I have awoken from a dream filled with opulence and hope … to be standing now in poverty of self worth.”

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ElwoodCuse posted:

This is second-hand spitballing but I've heard people suggest that it would have been better to let France and Germany continue this poo poo on their own until they DID realize it was pointless and that if the US stayed out of WWI and just let them stalemate, there'd be no Treaty of Versailles and no Nazi Party.

To be fair, the US was one of the few (the only?) countries who was saying how bad an idea it was to make the Treaty of Versailles so punitive.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

ElwoodCuse posted:

So did those people explain how letting Germany lose with an extra helping of starvation and mutiny would make anything any better? Were they the sort of people who believe that a more punitive treaty would have actually broken Germany the way the real one never quite managed? 'Cause, you know, I don't really see that happening without an actual occupation.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

MrFellow posted:

I probably don't have to mention that the whole bay area is facing the dual problems of (1) not enough funding for a social safety net and (2) rapidly evaporating affordable housing, which leads to people living in unsafe converted buildings, which often leads to tragedy.

Is this because tech groups don't pay their loving taxes, because I would bet you serious coin that 1) is related to that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

whiteyfats posted:

To be fair, the US was one of the few (the only?) countries who was saying how bad an idea it was to make the Treaty of Versailles so punitive.

The Treaty of Versailles wasn’t so punitive, though.

It was enough to make Germans whine, and that’s about it. It didn’t significantly suppress their industry.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Ugh besides my social anxiety, this is why I always stay close to the exit at any concert. Dying in a fire or getting crushed to death is the absolute last way I want to go.

Every time something like this happens it makes me think of The Upstairs Lounge fire http://weekinweird.com/2015/06/26/horrific-arson-upstairs-lounge-haunts-new-orleans-gay-community/ .
The way the community and nation handled it because of it being a gay bar is loving awful...

Edit: There are pictures of dead people trying to get out from barred windows, so if you don't want disturbing pictures as a side with your depression do not click the link.

Sarcopenia has a new favorite as of 12:26 on Dec 4, 2016

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

The manager sounds like a piece of poo poo. At least someone called him out (momentarily, anyway):

quote:

Beneath his Facebook post, someone replied that “this fire is not simply out of left field”.

“The police went into the warehouse [two] years ago and stated very clearly that it is a TINDER BOX,” they continued. “That it should not have so much wood – there are no sprinkler systems in plac[e] – that it is a DANGEROUS PLACE.”

The author later deleted their post.

Also holy poo poo, It's like someone went out of their way to maximize the amount of lives lost in the event of a fire:

quote:

The former resident of the warehouse said at least 10 RVs and trailers were inside the warehouse, on top of which people built makeshift shelters, studios and living rooms while using the vehicles for storage.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
Not sure if this is the right place for it, but to resurrect something from a while back in the thread re Maricopa County Jail / Joe Arpio.

I went to Maricopa jail for about 5 days, and Pima county jail for 30 days (Tucson, AZ jail).

If anyone wants a long form about what both (or only one if you prefer) were like I will provide.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

du -hast posted:

Not sure if this is the right place for it, but to resurrect something from a while back in the thread re Maricopa County Jail / Joe Arpio.

I went to Maricopa jail for about 5 days, and Pima county jail for 30 days (Tucson, AZ jail).

If anyone wants a long form about what both (or only one if you prefer) were like I will provide.

Um yes please

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's this sort of thing that makes me always look for the fastest exits wherever I'm at.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

bean_shadow posted:

My dad used to work for the Nevada Test Site and call himself a "Mucker Man" because he had to clean up the muck left over from tests (he once drove a train that had a bomb on it). The government assured them they were safe and gave them some badge that would alert them if radiation levels got too high but I don't think he trusted it. My mom told me that he started to do his own laundry because he was afraid his clothes were too radioactive. My dad died last year of complications from emphysema and COPD at the age of 67. We have no way of knowing if his job was a factor because he smoked.

His father was stationed in occupied Japan after WWII and until fall of 1946. He had to go to Hiroshima in October 1945 to help clean up. He also died of emphysema at the age of 64. But, again, he also smoked.

The Nevada Test Site offers tours to the public. I went on one earlier this year, and it was totally worth the price of entry.
http://www.nstec.com/Pages/public-tours.aspx

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

Ok here goes then:

Maricopa Tent City

I guess first I should explain how I got there. I was, at that time, an addict struggling with heroin and alcohol, among other things. Keep in mind that this was in 2010/2011 (got arrested Dec 30 iirc), and I have solved that problem today, cleaned my life up, and am good to go. But at the time I was not in good shape.

I was wandering the streets, looking for a way to get money. In a parking lot, I could see under the seat in a truck that there was cash, so I decided to break into said truck by punching the driver window as hard as I could. This resulted in two cuts that required stitches, and also, the car was unlocked. I grabbed the money, and drunkenly stumbled into the parking lot (it was about $15, which was in my hand at the time, and the cops just took out and gave back to the owner of the truck). Right as I got to the exit of the lot, lo and behold, two cop cars showed up and promptly arrested me. I was arrested for petty theft and criminal damage.

Then the tent city experience began. Reception sucked - you sit in a lovely, hot room (next to a plexiglass window that lets you look into the nice AC room that the officers sit in, and call you one by one. If you make any noise you are taken to a holding cell and basically will sit in limbo for a long time, alone. There were benches that we sat on. We could sleep but were required to do so sitting up; if you even dozed off and ended up sitting on the bench but with your side on the back, you got a warning, then the second time go to go to the holding room (basically isolation). Fortunately I never ended up breaking these rules as I was drunk and high enough to basically pass out sitting up. About maybe 8 hours later (no clocks in this place) I got called in for my picture, fingerprints, etc etc. That was the easy part of the process. The officers were actually pretty cool, as you can imagine they get tons of uncooperative assholes, so they were pretty happy that I did what they asked.

Also note in the reception area there is a guy, a trustee (guy who has been in jail for a while, shown good behavior, so gets more freedom of movement) that had sandwiches. You could get as many as you wanted from him for some reason, but the real thing is what the sandwiches were made out of. You see, Tent City is meant to be totally self-sustainable, economically, food, etc etc, and as far as I know it is. So the sandwiches were stale (donated?) wonder bread wrapped around a mystery meat. It turned out that it was ostrich. You see, Tent City raises tons of ostriches, which they slaughter and use for food for the inmates, selling the rest (this was told to me by another inmate, I was in the tents the whole time so didn't get to see it). The meat was... interesting. Kinda like corned beef that had been blended with sprinkles that you put on ice cream - green, red, orange spots in the meat. It was edible though, and as I will shortly explain, if you didn't have money on your books you either ate it or went hungry.

After reception I was again cuffed and led to the search area. I was stripped naked and for some reason remember the process well. I was told to shake my hair, open my mouth, lift my armpits, goatse my bellybutton, lift feet and wiggle toes, lift up my scrotum with my legs spread apart, and fainlly, yes, the squat-and-cough. It is a real thing. I said "aren't you supposed to buy me dinner first" and got, at best, what I would call a annoyed look. They then took a picture of me (still naked), looked up my tattoos to make sure I was not gang affiliated, then gave me my clothing. The underwear at that time was, in fact, pink, and worn the gently caress out. It had not been washed well and smelled like a scrotum after a few days on a construction site. The shirt/pants combo is interesting too, it's like the hamburgler or something, or the clothes you see in an old movie (Shawshank Redemption maybe)? Anyway it was black and white stripes, old school. I was cuffed again and taken to the main jail. These cuffs were pink though none of the other times I got cuffed were.

I got to the main jail, which really is a tent city. They are like the old tents you see in M*A*S*H or something. There were two types of beds, one flat cot, and one bunk with actual lovely mattresses,

I got moved in, still cuffed, by two officers, and put on one of the flat ones. There were at least 100 people in the room, all on cots (it was around maybe 2-3AM at that time). It had been more than 18 hours since I had my last fix and last drink, so I was beginning to go into withdrawals in the worst place in the world to do so. Even in the middle of the night, it was hot, almost unbearably so. At this point my memory starts to get a bit hazy by this time I was going into full poo poo mode, getting the shakes from the booze and heroin. It was an awful night on a hard cot, that folds up so there is a bar that hits under the small of your back. Withdrawing as I was, sleep was impossible, though the next day I would end up sleeping maybe an hour, total, in fits as it got worse.

The tent I was in was apparently semi permanet, so there was a single community toilet installed in it, right at the edge. There was a trustee in charge of changing bunk assignments, so the new guys got put right next to the shitter, which, at 130 degrees, is obvioulsy not pleasant. Somehow I avoided this. With 100 people in the room, the smell of sweat and shame was palpable. Also TP was a hot item that sometimes you had to bargain for, but I made friends with a guy in there that could identify with me withdrawing and gave me some.

I should mention the "books". Each inmate has what is basically a little bank account that someone can put money in for you. With the money you can go to the canteen and buy things (candy bars, etc etc). I didnt have any money on my books, so it was great that I was able to trade with this dude with food and friendship.

I'm not sure what else to say, as again my memory started to fade a bit. Wakeup was early (4AM if I recall correctly). Everyone stands by their bunk for count. Your bunk MUST be made at this time - if you get caught with an unmade bunk twice you end up in the hole. The guards were cool - you show respect, call them CO (corrections officer) or sir and they were generally friendly.

The place I was in offered showers once a week. They were in the middle of a bunch of policy changes in the jail right when I was there - I think maybe 2x/week. Showers came from pipes and were also nearly scalding-to-death hot (pipes were open to the sun, and it was routinely 130+ degrees in the entire area.

I saw a chain gang by the way - they really are really and actually have ankle chains that connect them together, medieval style. I believe that they go out and pickup trash, etc. They are all people who have been in jail for quite a while and got on the gang for good behavior.

The food, my god, was horrendous. A LOT of ostrich, and canned garbage. I managed to eat maybe a handful of corn and a few pieces of bread while I was in there; I had no appetite from the heroin withdrawals but knew that I would keel over if I didn't eat. I think I may have eaten some of the worst culinary creation know to man: Chicken a la King, though in this case it was ostrich. There were pieces of dirt in the chunks of ostrich in there, meaning it had been dropped and picked back up. It is a cream based item, with canned peas and carrots, and is basically what gravy would taste like in a town where dancing was illegal. It also did not do well with my stomach, which was already basically nearly destroyed, I had been making GBS threads water the whole time. I did end up giving the rest of my food to the guy I was friends with, who later gave me some candy and toilet paper.

I should note that the portion sizes are almost starvation rations, I would estimate that the three meals they served a day totaled no more than 1800 calories. We were given a water bottle which we could fill up, again, from an outside spigot. The water was almost too hot to drink when it came out, and even worse, since it is so loving hot in the tents it never really cools down. Everyone is a pool of sweat at all times; my clothes were soaked through. I was shaking terribly and seeing things out of the corner of my eyes a little bit. I was so tired, and going though withdrawal, that I was starting to lose my mind.

They take everyone(?) to medical, an air conditioned room if I remember right, where you talk to a doctor and they make sure you're not gonna die, special diet, injuries from fights, etc. I told him about the DTs and he basically told me to eat poo poo and come back if I started having seizures. So no help there.

The rest of the 5 days was pretty peaceful. They locked the place down twice, once for a gut that PC'd up (protective custody, they take you and put you in a small, again hot as hell, cell, where you are alone for 23 hours a day. You get a shower once every 2 weeks and it is a mobile thing that they take to your cell. You get 1 hour of solo exercise if you are lucky, and can request a religious book of your choice (bible, koran). That is your only entertainment. He PC'd up because he had stolen from another inmate and was about to get the poo poo kicked out of him.

The second time was an honest to god fight, between 4 Mexicans. I was watching it from about 100 feet away; it was quick though there was a broken nose and maybe other bones. 2 went to medical, then the other 2 went to the hole.

I spent almost all of my time waiting for death, in a 130 degree tent, withdrawing, with only warm water to sustain me. It was misery. By the 4th day I felt better, though was shaking like hell.

Also, since they legally have to charge you within 48 hours, I was taken to a room with the other inmates. There was televised communication (like Facetime) with the judge where the charges were read, etc. Since I had no record yet, I was given a 5 day sentence and "deferral" which is basically babbys first probation. Also, a $450 fine for breaking the window.

So after the five days of misery, at once again around 3AM. I was woken up from my daze, and taken to a warehouse like thing, given my posessions back, though the about $40 I had in my pocket when I cam was turned into a gift card thing. I left jail, still semi sick but not too bad.

The first thing I did? Go out and get drunk and get a fix. It was not a good time for me.

Next I will do Pima which is way nicer and I also was pretty sober at the time - and did 30 days so I was there a while. I am guessing that maybe there is a little interest ;)
Update: I should also mention that it is a madhouse, and totally segregated. The guards usually make sure that Crips are put with Crips, Bloods with Bloods, etc, to make sure there was no issue. I was called a NAC (non-affiliated caucasion).

But it is very interesting to note the structure of how the gangs work. None of them liked each other, obviously, so there were a bunch of cliques. The South Siders for sure were the biggest group (they will also take most races). The Nortenos also has a presence. MS-13 (Salvadorian gang) was represented as well. Then of course the Crips/Bloods, Nation of Islam, and the Aryan Brotherhood. There was also a pretty big one called the Gay Boy Gangsters (a gang that obviously only took gay inmates, I dont know much about them.) There were a bunch of smaller ones too, but the only one I remeber was GASH - Gay Aryan Skinheads, which I still chuckle about. In case you're wondering, skinheads, etc do not take homosexuals.

But the way it worked and the organization was the biggest thing. There was always a shot caller (leader) for each of the gangs. Discipline was maintained - you had to keep your bunk clean and orderly, be up before count, show respect, etc. It was almost like the military (especially with the Mexican gangs). And the other interesting part is this: they kept the peace with brutal enforcement.

Say a South Sider (Mexican) got in a fight with a guy from another gang (Aryan Brotherhood). He clearly initiates the fight (there is never a time when there's not 100 inmates around). Everyone turns away so the will later claim they saw nothing, and the two will handle business until the guards break it up.

The interesting thing, though, is that it won't be the Aryans that punish the Mexican guy, it will be his own gang. Nobody fucks with another gang like that, and they keep discipline in the ranks. Generally it's 39 seconds of brutal gang beating (13th letter = M for Mexican, not sure why it's x3), and denial of a bunch of things (they take your food, all the stuff you got from canteen, etc). The Aryans do the same - they check only their own people to keep the peace. I would say 80% of the people in the tent next to mine (remember it's segregated) were gang members of some sort.

If you keep your head down, show respect, don't talk to anyone from a gang, and generally just stay away from gangs you will be fine.

e2: Also, unlike Pima jail, if you were taken anywhere you were cuffed, ie to medical, no matter what.

Edit: Anyway, next up Pima if you guys want (Tucson AZ)

du -hast has a new favorite as of 18:55 on Dec 4, 2016

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's this sort of thing that makes me always look for the fastest exits wherever I'm at.
Unfortunately, if that reddit guy's story is accurate the fastest exit in the Oakland fire was 'head towards where the smoke is coming from, through a hole in the floor, down a homemade, uneven staircase made of wooden pallets, then through a maze-like series of smoke-filled rooms littered with obstacles and containing multiple doors, only one of which leads to the exit'. So you might have been screwed anyway.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

du -hast posted:

Ok here goes then:

Maricopa Tent City

Interesting post, thanks. I thought you posted an A/T thread about it a while ago, but that was a female goon IIRC. Weird to think two goons have had run-ins with Arpaio.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

Pima County Jail

As you may recall, at the time, I had some addiction problems (though nowhere near as bad as before, not too bad withdrawals).

So, I ended up getting drunk and eating some Xanax. What happens over the next 3 days is a blur, it's like there's only pictures in my mind of single instances, walking down the sidewalk, being in 7/11, and the most disturbing one, putting a gun in a dumpster. Anyway, I was out of my mind and in a basically permanent blackout.

Apparently, I was arrested for trespassing, criminal damage (again), willful destruction of property, and intoxicated in public.

I started to come to when I was reception, more pictures flashing in my mind. It was bizarre - it was almost the same as the tents but way, way better. The bench and sitting up rule applied, however you could whisper to other inmates if you wanted. Violators were again taken to a separate room. And it was air conditioned! There was no barrier separating the inmates and the cops, but the whole jail had AC no matter what, which was outstanding.

Anyway, after again about 8 hours, I got arraigned by video by a judge (name was Millionaire). For some bizarre reason I was released on my own recognizance and had a court date that I was told to show up for. So I got released a few hours later back onto the streets, in the middle of the night. I managed, once again, to come up with enough money to get totally wasted on cheap vodka.

I am not joking when I say that, once again, it was a blur. But less than 24 hours later I was arrested and taken to jail again, this time for theft and drunk in public (I think).

The same process happened, fingerprints, mugshot, sit on the benches for hours and hours, etc. But this time I was arraigned and told I would be here in jail for 30 days.

Eventually the guards came and got ready for the process again. I have no idea what time it was. Pima County jail is not like the Tents - it is entirely enclosed and the only Windows look like those holes that archers shoot out of in castles, and were tinted so you could not see out or identify where in the jail you were compared to the outside.

I got taken to the room, stripped down, lift up your nuts, squat & cough (this time facing the guards), fingers, toes, armpits, etc. Naked picture taken. Tried the "take me to dinner line" but no success this time either.

The jumpsuits they put you in are orange. I am 6'7 and 300lbs so I basically walked around with the Brittany Spears midriff, except mine was a large jiggly, stretch marked blob of fat that would wiggle comically whenever I walked around.

First, because I was going through withdrawals and told them, they took me to the doctor first. Again they basically said eat poo poo, but for the first three days I was locked solo in a cell that was probably 8x8, on a lower bunk for safety. In the cell there was a ventilation hole (the height of the cell was probably 15 feet to keep you from loving with it) and I started talking to the guy next to me, who was in for attempted murder. It was interesting hearing about his life in the lovely part of Tucson, etc etc. He was a gangbanger but talked normal to me for some reason.

After 3 days of getting lovely food delivered through a slit in the cell door (just like you see in movies), I was taken and escorted to a new part of the jail. I expected to be put in another cell solo, but it turned out way, way better. It was a new part of the jail called the "pods" for nonviolent offenders. We went up two or three stories of stairs (there were several of us, they move people in groups always, and with 2-3 guards), and got to the pods. There is a door, then a hallway, then another door (I don't remember what this is called) for security.

I got taken in, showed my card, and looked around. It was really, really not that bad. There was a giant room in the middle (the size of a high school gym) and then on the left and right side there were two tiers (stories) of pods. I want to say there were three on each story. I got assigned to a lower pod. The pod was pretty cool. The mattress was awful and there were 16 of us (about 200 total in the whole area). Attached to thew all there was an L shaped row of bunk beds. Think of more like shelves than beds. Your feet were literally touching the next guy's feet (feet next to heads was a no-no). But in the room there was a small flat screen TV, a table with two chairs like you would see in kindergarten (plastic table, plastic chairs). A sink, and an actual semi-private bathroom space - stalls without doors. The windows of the pod looked out to the main gym-like area so the CO could see in and watch. So the shitters were visible to him and whoever was looking across from the other pods, but not right in the cell like usual where the other people literally watch you poo poo. The toilets were plastic too, rather than the metal deal that most jails do.

Overall it wasn't that bad. There were books to read, which I indulged in, and the other inmates with me were pretty mellow and friendly.

One of the inmates was covered in tattoos, neck to toe, of naked ladies. He had gotten cracked for I believe carjacking, theft, and meth possession. He had spent most of his life in prison but was actually a really great guy. Friendly, would share his food from the canteen with you (even without a trade) and was really cool. If you ignore the tattoos it was hard to imagine that he would have committed the crime, but he did. It proves that even people who are lifelong criminals can have some compassion I guess.

Another one was this short (4'11") Honduran guy who had made the mistake of possession of several kilos of cocaine his his trunk after driving across the border (<1hr south from Tucson) and had gotten cracked. He was OK too though his English was poo poo.

Then there was a guy who had been in the cell for like 8 months, trying to run out his time. I don't remember what he ended up in jail for but he was a loving spazz. Blue and red star tattoos on his face (not prison ones, ones that you would get at an actual tattoo shop) and he was all about the eses (Mexicans). But he would jump around the cell and was just a prick overall, not nice, no respect, sometimes would lean his crotch into where my bunk was on the bottom row and giggle, basically trying to show he's big poo poo and start a fight. I didn't take him up on his offer.

As to the schedule, we were locked in our cells from 7PM - 6AM (If I remember right), and then another lockup time during the day. When shift changed, a lockup. The guards basically bad free reign with when to lock people up and when to let them into the common area. One guard kept us locked up all day, sitting and playing on his phone the whole time. He was the worst one. But most were pretty cool. TV off at 9 I think. The funny thing is that after being in there, even for a little while, you start to miss the ladies. So I will never forget us sitting, enraptured, watching a woman give a waterbirth in the bathtub. Covered in blood, etc, but FINALLY some titties!

Another issue is clothing. They do not provide underwear, so I was in the same filthy underwear I had been wearing for days and days. You can clean it in the sink but it never truly gets clean. You must be sentenced to 6mos to get one single pair underwear for free, or have money on your books (I was estranged from everyone at that point so it wasn't gonna happen). So I wore the same pair of underwear, getting progressively filtier, for a month. The pants by the way were really rough right in the crotch area, so going commando was NOT a pleasant experience.

A lot of people played cards, and read, and it was generally OK. There were a few interesting times which I will share in a minute.

The schedule by the way was crazy for eating. 3AM was breakfast, and you had to go one-by-one to get it. If you did not get up for count (you didn't have to take the breakfast but everyone did) then you got in trouble. Once you got your tray you went back to the cell and ate. After everyone got theirs we were locked down for another 3 hours, til 6AM for lunch. Dinner was at 3, and the same lockdown, 1-at-a-time thing happened. The food was OK I guess, soggy, crappy, canned garbage with a tiny juice carton. But at least there was enough food - >2000calories. Remeber also that I am 330lbs and 6'7, but it was basically enough, especially when the tattooed guy made spready (noodles + whatever else you want to put in it) so the food part wasn't too problematic.

Also everyone was on medication practically (including me, but for seizures). No narcotics or anything. Anyway they did pill call, but no lockdowns. A lot of people were on thins like tricyclic antidepressants or things like Seroquel, which basically turned them into zombies at all times, and if on Seroquel hungry at all times and miserable. You could only see a doctor once every two weeks, the medical room only had a NP that didn't assign medications.

Anyway, there were a few interesting things. The toothbrushes they give you are tiny - you have to brush with your thumb and forefinger on the handle. The handle is teardrop shaped and perhaps 1.5" long. The end was kinda pointy, but again, its tiny and not gonna cause damage (pencils were the same way, nothing sharp, never over 3").

One day in the big middle room, a giant black guy (taller than me, probably 6'8 and 400lbs) got into an argument with a way smaller black guy over a card game or something. The other guy was maybe 5'4 and 130. So of course they start swinging, the big guy lands a pretty solid punch, but I swear to god, the little guy jumped up on the table where they were playing so he was eye level and plunged a sharpened toothbrush into the giant's right eye. Even the 1.5" toothbrush would do that. He got it in, the giant started to fall backwards, and the little guy got on top of him and pushed the toothbrush as far as he could into the dude's eye before the CO tazed him and it was done. It was insane - how quick it was, the fight was maybe 5-10 seconds, but I'll never forget him hopping up on the table so he was level with the guy, then jamming that toothbrush in as far as he could, he probably got it 75% in. The eye was sure hosed.

There were also two old guys that got into an argument over something. Probably in their late 60s. One bald, one with hair. They start screaming at each other (again in the main room) over something or other. Even though they were both white, they used the word friend of the family to each other a LOT, which did not go over well with the black population. Then bald guy swung, Mike Tyson like, and his this guy so hard in the face that one of the arms of his glasses pierced the middle of his face next to the nose, I mean went all the way into the nose about an inch or two. He fell back and we heard a giant CRACK and he was out. The CO broke it up, gave the blad guy an especially prolonged tazing for it, and then, when he was on the ground, he cuffed the dude and stood literally on top of him. Glasses dude was taken out in a stretcher, Mike Tyson was taken to a higher security area, and very likely beaten to poo poo by the blacks there (saying friend of the family if you are white in jail is a guaranteed issue). Since he was not gang affiliated he gets to face the blacks.

Two more: The CO station was an elevated circular area at the end of the main room, so they could see into all the cells and everyone in the main room no matter what. One day, this really really old guy, probably his 70s, who spent a lot of time talking to himself (to the consternation of his cellmates) went over to the CO station. The CO was in a cell, inspecting (make beds, etc) so the guard station was empty. This guy goes up one of the stairs, sits down, and proceeds to poo poo himself. A LOT of poo poo. His pants are covered and it is leaking out over the top of the waistband. He wiggles around too, making sure to paintbrush the poo poo all over the area, and sort of scooted down the step and about 10 feet away til the guard got there and cuffed him. I will never forget the smell, which wafted everywhere. My pod(cell) was actually the one that got to clean it up as well.

And last, there was a guy that had stolen someone from his cell mate. He was not liked, a sneaky guy and was known to the whole cell block as a liar and a creep. So an argument ensues, but the CO breaks it up before blows are exchanged. The guy who got robbed explains to the CO what was happening, then went back to his cell. The CO went to the thief's cell, found the stolen item, and came back to the center of the pod. He pulls out his club and yells "STOP RESISTING" to the guy and hits him, hard, on the stomach 3 or 4 times. After that, the thief got dragged out (to the chorus of voices from the cells), and not seen again.

Note that during times like this, the block goes into immediate lockdown, everyone to their cells or get tazed. So everyone runs to their cells, then the CO breaks things up, so it may be a minute or two before the CO can intervene and stop a fight.

Anyway, overall, Pima County / Tucson jail was better that Phoenix without a doubt. That said, I don't recommend you visit either of them.

I also went to jail for a day in Sacramento, but it was pretty boring and quiet - taken in, booked, put in a single cell by myself, released.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

Safety Biscuits posted:

Interesting post, thanks. I thought you posted an A/T thread about it a while ago, but that was a female goon IIRC. Weird to think two goons have had run-ins with Arpaio.

I posted in A/T about fixing a pipe in my house, but that's it.

Another insane thing is that he visits the jail a lot, but bizarrely, is looked up to like the mayor or something. Inmates shake his hand, like he's a celebrity. It's bizarre

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mackers posted:

Possibly been covered before in this long-rear end thread but I've been reading lately about Verdun in World War 1. AKA Hell on loving Earth.

And it just goes on and on for like 10 months, with hundreds of thousands of people dying in utterly hellish conditions for basically nothing at all. Bodies were mostly left out to rot because to try and reclaim them was suicide, so the unending artillery bombardment was constantly throwing up bits and pieces of corpses and showering you with them.

You wouldn't be able to sleep for days, just waiting in torment for any one of these artillery shells to blow you to bits, or your officer to blow his whistle and order you over the top to almost certain death. And if you refused or were incapable of moving? HE'D execute you, you loving coward. It's no wonder so many people lost their minds.

You want to know what's really unnerving? Between 1916 and 1919 over 900 sets of parents decided that "Verdun" was a good name for their little lad. My grandfather through my stepdad was one of them, born in early 1917 as I recall, but while looking up some of his details I found another with a very similar name who couldn't have been born later than April 1916.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If Stalingrad wasn't a big enough battle and loss of life to make humanity stop and realize maybe enough is enough then nothing ever will be.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I listened to Dan Carlin's series on WWI (which I highly reccommend) and the most disturbing story to me was the one about the mud - I'm not sure if it was at Verdun or somewhere else, but it started raining for days on end and the entire battlefield turned into a swamp. They put planks across it for the soldiers to walk on, but if you fell off and didn't get back on quckly enough, you were hosed. One soldier talked about walking past a man who was buried up to his waist in mud. Some other people tried to get him out, but he was stuck, and they had to leave him. By the time they came back he was up to his neck and begging people to shoot him before he went under.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I listened to Dan Carlin's series on WWI (which I highly reccommend) and the most disturbing story to me was the one about the mud - I'm not sure if it was at Verdun or somewhere else, but it started raining for days on end and the entire battlefield turned into a swamp. They put planks across it for the soldiers to walk on, but if you fell off and didn't get back on quckly enough, you were hosed. One soldier talked about walking past a man who was buried up to his waist in mud. Some other people tried to get him out, but he was stuck, and they had to leave him. By the time they came back he was up to his neck and begging people to shoot him before he went under.

A few places fit this profile. Passchendaele was absolutely one of the worst for mud-filled craters that could easily be over 12 feet deep with the constant rain. When the village was finally seized by the Canadian Corps, it had been entirely obliterated by shells.

Top: Passchendaele
Bottom: I mean... like... okay, it's technically still Passchendaele, as represented by a point on a map, but it's pretty much just a formality at this point

My great-great-uncle died in the successful final assault on the village world's largest collection of variable-depth holes, in the 28th Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force, November 6, 1917. His name is inscribed on the Menin Gate, which is the Commonwealth memorial for missing soldiers at Ypres. Probably hit by something and wound up in the bottom of one of those mud graves.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Pretty sure it was Verdun, since he was pretty focused on that battle and how it basically changed the face of warfare forever.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Thanks for sharing DH, glad you're not in that place anymore
I was bout to say I'm glad I don't live in a lovely desert state or Midwest state to get arrested in, your stories make my experiences in Cali sound like a liberal paradise, but tbh other than the brutal fights you witnessed the pod setup sounded pretty good
Everything about that tent city was barbaric as gently caress though, good god
I was surprised the COs werent total POS assholes tho

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can't believe that place was for people waiting to be charged. Hopefully it will be dismantled now that Arapaho's lost an election.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
As a person who once experienced a weekend in county jail and also hates hot weather I think I'd rather be dead than spend a minute in that tent jail. My roommate and I just had a conversation about sheriff Joe recently. I remarked that I'd like to see him locked up in that tent hell he created because everything I've ever read about the man leads me to believe that he's a corrupt, sadistic sack of poo poo. I was baffled how someone like that could stay sheriff for so long g. My roommate is an Arizona native who explained that people there love him. Something to do with the state of mind in that part of the country loves the idea of the rootin' tootin' takes no poo poo hang em all law man. I still say gently caress him. I hope he dies in the hell that he created.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I just don't understand how something like that Ghost Ship fire can happen in this day and age. Like, I get the place will never be up to code and will never have a legit permit, but it's not hard or expensive to rig up a makeshift fire alarm system and maybe some LED string lights towards an exit. Hell, exit signs (with 30 minute battery backup!) are only like ~$70. Honestly though, if you're capable of rigging up a living space like that you could at least cobble together a domestic pressure sprinkler system for partial coverage. Glue, plastic pipe and sprinkler heads is all it would take.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Breakfast Feud posted:

I just don't understand how something like that Ghost Ship fire can happen in this day and age. Like, I get the place will never be up to code and will never have a legit permit, but it's not hard or expensive to rig up a makeshift fire alarm system and maybe some LED string lights towards an exit. Hell, exit signs (with 30 minute battery backup!) are only like ~$70. Honestly though, if you're capable of rigging up a living space like that you could at least cobble together a domestic pressure sprinkler system for partial coverage. Glue, plastic pipe and sprinkler heads is all it would take.

You'd need to give a gently caress about those things though, which obviously wasn't the case here.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, poo poo like that will always happen "in this day and age" until literally everything is free and easy to get.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I just can't wrap my head around someone being able to get 100+ pianos, piles of banjos and guitars but failing to even get some $9.99 string lights to light an exit path. I was in a place once that made exit signs out of Home Depot lamicoids with dollar store tealights behind them soldered in parallel at the battery terminals and ran with speaker wire that hijacked DC voltage off a nearby flatscreen TV.

Where there's a will...

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Breakfast Feud posted:

Where there's a will...

You identified the problem.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Breakfast Feud posted:

I don’t think those DIY solutions would work as well as you think they would.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Breakfast Feud posted:

I just can't wrap my head around someone being able to get 100+ pianos, piles of banjos and guitars but failing to even get some $9.99 string lights to light an exit path. I was in a place once that made exit signs out of Home Depot lamicoids with dollar store tealights behind them soldered in parallel at the battery terminals and ran with speaker wire that hijacked DC voltage off a nearby flatscreen TV.

Where there's a will...

The owner by all accounts has lots of money, he just liked playing poor bohemian.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

I don’t think those DIY solutions would work as well as you think they would.

There are actual honest to goodness warehouses who have a system of interconnected smoke alarms. It's not *great* but it's better than nothing. Same with domestic pressure sprinklers. You can also buy ecogreen(TM) glow in the dark exit appliques which are used in New Zealand as they require no electricity and operate in prolonged outages.

I'm just saying they can make a pass at safety. I really hope the owner gets charged with criminal negligence or something and it leads to tightening up fire codes.

To add to the thread:

We had a fire here in Canada that led to the tightening up of the fire codes. It happened in Ontario in a hotel sometime in the mid 90s, I can't find a link but I have it in a Fire Alarm Training manual somewhere. Basically up until then anyone could maintain and sign off on fire alarm systems. You didn't need any endorsements or training and the fire alarm system fell under the jurisdiction of the resident janitor. So, two guys with a poor handle of English were hired on to maintain this hotel and just ended up signing off on a fire alarm system they didn't understand. Any troubles or off normal conditions were ignored to the point the system became completely non functional. The hotel ended up having a fire one night and a bunch of people died as they weren't woken up, and those who were couldn't find the exits as exit sign bulbs were burnt out.

edit: Unnerving story:

Canada has this "grandfather clause" where if a thing once adhered to a code it's exempt from all further code updates if it remains unmodified. This leads to hilarious 1932 fire systems still in use, and the owner jumping from one Fire Alarm company to the next to avoid fixing (thus modifying) the system. Or the other week we found a fuse box from before the time fuse boxes were manufactured en masse. It was a little wooden box lined with asbestos matting that had porcelain fuse holders fastened at the back.

This loophole led to a bunch of old people dying a year or two back because their portion of the seniors home was grandfathered in and didn't have sprinklers. Since they were mobility impaired and in a rural area by the time the fire department arrived it was too late.

autism ZX spectrum has a new favorite as of 03:43 on Dec 5, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How the hell is "the owner didn't care about safety" not sinking in?

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I get it, I understand "he didn't give a gently caress" but I just don't want to live on an earth like that. I'm triggered OKAY I work in a safety industry and the oakland thing is rustling my jimmies.

I have to tell people to not block their egress with a fridge or chest of drawers almost every day.

Allegedly Allergic
Nov 3, 2002

Crazy Bus Person #3
I've spent time in a 'collective' housed in a warehouse like that. The kinds of people who run these places are either trustfund or people who married into money, and the common thread is they've never had responsibility.
To the owner, it's not real, its a place to let their friends host parties, not a business that subject to rules.

The massive amount of hallucinogens that flow through these places doesnt help either.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2016/12/04/oakland-warehouse-fire-who-is-the-man-behind-the-ghost-ship/

quote:

Five months before Friday’s raging fire killed at least 33 people at the “Ghost Ship” warehouse, the brainchild of the cluttered artists’ cooperative took to Facebook in a 1,000-word rant claiming he was “the thriller love child of Manson, Pol Pot and Hitler.”

There was little sense to the bizarre writing of Derick Ion Almena, 46, known as a passionate artist from Los Angeles devoted to an alternative way of life who led the Oakland arts collective and commune with a distorted sense of reality. But he ended his writing with incredibly haunting words: “I can proverbially get away with murder.”

quote:

Danielle Boudreaux, a former friend of the couple, told the Associated Press she had a falling out with Almena when she persuaded Allison’s parents and sister about a year ago that the warehouse was a dangerous place for the couple’s three children to live.

And of course:

quote:

Nikki Kelber, 44, a jewelry maker who lived in the Ghost Ship and narrowly escaped the fire with her cat, said Almena is being unfairly blamed for the fire.

“Their sole purpose was to create a space where artists could survive and thrive,” she said. “To point fingers at them is unfair. They are not bad people by any stretch of the imagination.”

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

C.M. Kruger posted:

quote:

Nikki Kelber, 44, a jewelry maker who lived in the Ghost Ship and narrowly escaped the fire with her cat, said Almena is being unfairly blamed for the fire.

“Their sole purpose was to create a space where artists could survive and thrive,” she said. “To point fingers at them is unfair. They are not bad people by any stretch of the imagination.”

My bolding.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
YOU HAD ONE JOB!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Breakfast Feud posted:

I get it, I understand "he didn't give a gently caress" but I just don't want to live on an earth like that. I'm triggered OKAY I work in a safety industry and the oakland thing is rustling my jimmies.

I have to tell people to not block their egress with a fridge or chest of drawers almost every day.

Ah, ok. It is a supremely lovely thing to do. But look on the bright side, maybe now local governments will rush in and shut places like this down permanently to avoid being the next one.