Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The real problem with them is 2 attack dice. They're really doing to struggle to put enough of a dent into the likes of RegenPoe to actually take him down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Fantasy Flight is not screwing us with upgrades this time- the Punishing One has two copies of guidance chips.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

sarmhan posted:

Fantasy Flight is not screwing us with upgrades this time- the Punishing One has two copies of guidance chips.

They are also deliberately showing us that it has a 2-speed white SLoop to the left. Betting this means the same maneuver right will be red, or it will be a 3-speed maneuver.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

:eng101: guidance chimps.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

The real problem with them is 2 attack dice. They're really doing to struggle to put enough of a dent into the likes of RegenPoe to actually take him down.

Edit: And ... is that Boba Fett as a crew card?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Punishing One is a :eyepop: 12 point title?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Cobbsprite posted:

They are also deliberately showing us that it has a 2-speed white SLoop to the left. Betting this means the same maneuver right will be red, or it will be a 3-speed maneuver.

Why would it be asymmetrical? Is that because of the ship's lore and would that be the first asymmetrical dial in X-Wing?

Deviant posted:

Assuming it's because of how good Chimps will be with a 3 dice primary. Guess this thing will be a nasty bomber.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Bottom Liner posted:

Assuming it's because of how good Chimps will be with a 3 dice primary. Guess this thing will be a nasty bomber.

It's not that. It's more, 3 dice primary is a huge step up from 2 on a turret. You'll probably never see torpedoes on Dengar.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't think the chimps have much to do with it. It's just that going from a 2 dice turret to a 3 dice turret is definitely worth around 12 points, it's comparable to Outrider + HLC (which is exactly 12 points) on the YT-2400. You get 3 dice instead of 4 dice at ranges 2-3 but at range 1 you get 4 dice instead of 0 dice.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Why would it be asymmetrical? Is that because of the ship's lore and would that be the first asymmetrical dial in X-Wing?

Yeah this would be the first asymmetrical dial ship in the game and as far as I know there's nothing in the EU that would explain why the JumpMaster 5000 favors certain maneuver directions over others but it's probably something FFG came up with due to it's awkward design.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

Yeah this would be the first asymmetrical dial ship in the game and as far as I know there's nothing in the EU that would explain why the JumpMaster 5000 favors certain maneuver directions over others but it's probably something FFG came up with due to it's awkward design.

quote:

The Punishing One Expansion Pack brings the JumpMaster 5000 to your table as a pre-painted, large-base, turret ship with an attack value of two, agility of two, five hull, and four shields. Notably, the ship features a unique, asymmetrical maneuver dial, and you can equip it with the Punishing One Title to boost its primary weapon's attack value to three.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Yes Dagon, but why.

Personally I think it's because it's basically a rocket ship slapped to the side of a crescent moon fuselage and something like that would fly like sideways poo poo. Then again, that design flaw would be inherent in most ships in the Star Wars universe if that were the case.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

A wizard jedi did it.

Edit for some actual content:

I 3d printed this yesterday and was happy with how it came out (Sith ship from SWTOR). Gonna paint it up and use it as a decimator.

Dagon fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 31, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
It's dengar! That's why

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Saalkin posted:

Which and where?!

At Chapters. $25 in the website, and an additional 20% off in store.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
It's designed to fly with a heavy rear end cargo container in that slot, and with it empty the ship favors one side. In my headcanon, at least.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

What a piece of junk incredible looking ship. :allears:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Deviant posted:

Bottom Liner posted:

It's mostly because that's roughly what 3 die PWTs are worth. Consider the difference between the generic and the named YT1300 pilots, and consider how much it costs Dash to get a 3 die cannon-turret without any range bonuses.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
It's a fat angry Aggressor :3:

Also the Punishing One title costs 12 points in part because Dengar can shoot back in a joust, so it can theoretically be +2 dice (net)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's 12 points because it's precisely in line with what it costs to raise other fat turret ships from 2 red to 3 red, but of course everyone freaks out over it because they're seeing how the sausage is made directly.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

It's 12 points because it's precisely in line with what it costs to raise other fat turret ships from 2 red to 3 red, but of course everyone freaks out over it because they're seeing how the sausage is made directly.

Seeing how sausages were made got me hungry for sausages. Seeing a 12 point title to add a red die to a ship makes me want things to add MORE red dice to ships.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm super looking forward to glitterstim superdengar right now bee tee dubs.

I mean, not being able to just waltz over obstacles makes the superdashing harder, but I will endure somehow.

I need to start building up my Scum, but I want o be able to get Scum Aces to do it. FFG announce Scum Aces plz.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm super looking forward to glitterstim superdengar right now bee tee dubs.

The best part of superdengar to me is being PS9, honestly.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I ran that demo game at lunch today and hooked two new players. This game is dope y'all.

I'm going to spend all my Canadian funbucks on this game...

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I may have to get 5 of the new Tie Adv and run a swarm with them. With the action economy of the title, I wonder how useful Autothrusters will actually be. Mainly because I only have 4, and don't think I need a third Star Viper.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I can't wait to run Blount with tracers and VI and 5 bandits with concussion missiles.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Orvin posted:

I may have to get 5 of the new Tie Adv and run a swarm with them. With the action economy of the title, I wonder how useful Autothrusters will actually be. Mainly because I only have 4, and don't think I need a third Star Viper.

5 of the new Tie Adv, all with Title and XX-23s and Guidance Chip. Five full turns of action + TL + evade!

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Strobe posted:

5 of the new Tie Adv, all with Title and XX-23s and Guidance Chip. Five full turns of action + TL + evade!

The only problem is that at PS2, you liked won't have much to defend against to need the evade. Going up to the PS4 generic will cost too many points for Autothrusters to be included. Going to be a tough call to make. Still going to be taken the thread tracers, as it frees up the focus for defense.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ranbo das posted:

I can't wait to run Blount with tracers and VI and 5 bandits with concussion missiles.

I'm gonna run so many stupid lists with missiles and torpedoes once Thread Tracers and Guidance Chimps become available. Put Guidance and Crack Shot on the new TIE Bomber pilot who can reuse disposable EPTs.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I was playing a game on Christmas with my dad. He was having trouble picking out ships, playing as the rebel I saw he had too many ships in front of him to fit in 100 points, and he was having a hard time choosing, so we agreed to bump things up to 200 points. (I didn't mind, it let me go a little crazier with my swarm build).

Sadly we didn't finish, mostly because we were taking breaks to watch the original star wars movies (it was a very star wars Christmas), but we're planning on trying again on Sunday, setting aside enough time.

I was playing around with the builder, and for fun here's a build I came up with:

pre:
Big Swarm - 200 Points
Maarek Stele - Tie Advanced (Tie/X1,  Advanced Targeting Computer) 28 Points
“Omega Ace” - Tie/FO  Fighter 20 Points
“Epsilon Leader” - Tie/FO
Mauler Mithril - Tie Fighter(Targeting Computer)   19 Points
“Dark Curse” - Tie Fighter (Targeting Computer) 18 Points
"Echo" - Tie Phantom (Gunner, Accuracy Corrector, Expose, Advanced Cloaking Device) 46 Points
Kir Kanos - Tie Interceptor (Engine Upgrade) 24 Points
Lieutenant Lorrir - Tie Interceptor (Stealth Device, Engine Upgrade) 26 Points
Mostly I just think giving Echo Gunner, Accuracy Corrector and Expose could be really cool as long as it's flown well (i.e. only decloaking from a posistion where it can't be fire back at).

Also, I had an idea for am upgrade based on the movie (it's the first 10 minutes, and has nothing to do with the plot, so I doubt it's really a spoiler):

Turret Mod (1 Point)
Modification
X-Wing T-70 only
ATTACK: Attack 1 ship (even a ship outside your firing arc). This attack has a range of 1-3 and attack power of 2.

I was going to make it add a (turret) slot, and restrict it to 4 or even 2 points, but I realized what I really want isn't any of the turrets (too powerful), but something to give the X-wing a sort of safety net to fire at things outside it's range, but is still not as good as their normal attack.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Just let it take a hotshot blaster

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

That works mechanically really well, though it's a little weird thematically that it's illicit.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
So is there any reason at all to take Munitions Failsafe over Guidance Chips? Just that you might manage to roll multiple hits on the second try(or whenever you actually manage to hit) instead of just the guaranteed 1?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

sarmhan posted:

What are those tokens in the upper right next to the maneuver dial?

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

They look similar to the tokens that came with the FA core that are for missions, so I'm assuming it's the same for this., but I'm not sure.

(E: That is, same size and shape, though the art is different from the satellite tokens.)

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jan 1, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

They will be mission related, that's normally where they stick mission related stuff on those sorts of images.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

What are those tokens in the upper right next to the maneuver dial?

Oh wow, there looks to be a Gonk droid coming with Dengar's pack! Now all I need is an Imperial-only mouse droid crew member and I'm satisfied! :D (Heh, no idea what it could possibly do, though!)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
So, i'm wondering if the generic Tie Adv. Prototype might be better than the FO. 16 points is excellent value.

Then again, I don't think people were really flying generic FOs anyway.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 1, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Panzeh posted:

So, i'm wondering if the generic Tie Adv. Prototype might be better than the FO. 16 points is excellent value.

Then again, I don't think people were really flying generic FOs anyway.

There's been quite a bit of discussion on this very point on the FFG forums. And yeah, my inclination is that the TAP is better, but then the only time I've used generic f/os is in a list where I needed two of them in exactly 30 points, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ghetto wormhole posted:

So is there any reason at all to take Munitions Failsafe over Guidance Chips? Just that you might manage to roll multiple hits on the second try(or whenever you actually manage to hit) instead of just the guaranteed 1?

You can still miss even with Guidance Chips' help.

ranbo das posted:

Don't forget Guidance Chips on each of the Bandits to maximize output. With a Focus, the only way you'll get less than 4 hits is if you roll 3 or 4 blanks which is unlikely.

I think the list should be called Big Game Hunters because if the enemy has a large ship it's going to be wiped out in the first round of fire.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 1, 2016

• Locked thread