Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also you need a "get pregnant" mechanic so you can sneak around too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Neo Rasa posted:

I think the obvious solution would be to create a sequel called Aliens: Isolation.

They actually blow their load on that in the endgame.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
My dream Predator game would be sort of a mix of a Hitman game and Dishonored except in advanced future/cyberpunk LA and you play as the group of Predators that respected Danny Glover in Predator 2 returning to again seek maximum honor/whatever by hunting folks in LA. But like that same ebb and flow of world building/kinda sorta investigation stuff where you determine who the biggest badasses in town are via eavesdropping or finding files and then you get to take your time meticulously hunting them down and getting them alone so you have time to extract their skull from their body in pristine condition. Like you could go in guns blazing but then life gets a little harder in the next mission and the skull isn't perfectly clean or it's chipped so you Predator pals think you're a chump. I guess Dishonored would be the closest thing, like it's a "stealth" game in that you play stealthily to find the maximum amount of stuff and seek out the most content without it being a bloodbath but there's no real reason not to just completely own everything in your path. But if you want to get the most out of it you can't just shoulder cannon people in the face in broad daylight repeatedly or you ruin the prize. Maybe if you do super badly the other Predators kill you because you're so lame. Danny Glover will lend his voice for a supporting character in the cutscenes where humans are pissed off playing his character's grandson or whatever. There can be a super secret mission where you fly to Area 51 and there's a single xenomorph or whatever. How the gently caress isn't this made yet.

There'll of course be DLC missions to cover the Antarctic training ground in AvP, the K-Mart in Requiem, and the jungle in Predator 1.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 13, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

sean10mm posted:

The Prometheus crew are dumb pawns by design. Weyland didn't give a gently caress about geology and hired the first stoner shitbird who would take the job. He's introduced in a briefing scene where he says he knows nothing and doesn't care and is there for the paycheck. Then he uses his spacesuit as a bong. He's the definition of UNPROFESSIONAL.

The entire line of criticism about how he should have known better "as a professional" makes no sense in light of what the movie EXPLICITLY TELLS US. This isn't subtext, it's just "poo poo that happens in the movie."

The only character pursuing the mission's true objective was David. As for everyone else it was just like Alien: crew expendable.

Yes but this is lazy as gently caress and makes all of the characters uninteresting and you don't give two shits about them. Prometheus and Alien: Covenant have decent enough stories, coupled with stunning sounds and visuals they could have been really drat good. You have all of this stuff to make something great and go:

"What do we bind all these great ideas with to drive this film along?"
"How about some stupid characters that no one is going to give a poo poo about?"
"You mean like in Jurassic Park that nerd that screws everyone over for his own personal gain?"
"Yeah but without any of the motivation he had. He just dies because, lol, he's dumb! Also make him extremely dry and one dimensional... gently caress it, do this for every character and bloat the amount of characters to around 20 so there can be a lot of deaths."

And I agree with you completely on David being the main character, he is and he's fantastic, but that doesn't mean the other characters had to be bland. In Alien: Covenant David is the horror element, the problem is that you end up liking David because he's dope and does dope poo poo. The "twist" at the end of the film doesn't work because you want David to still be around because I want to see the hosed up creations he makes for the next film. You like David more than you really should and it kinda doesn't work. For example, I love the look and design of the original Alien, it's my favorite fictional creature because it's just so awesome, same with the Queen Alien, Michael Myers, The Thing, etc. The thing is I WANT the crew of the Nostromo to survive because I like Ripley more, same goes for some of the grunts in Aliens, Laurie Strode and MacReady. They're all likeable, charismatic characters that you want to see survive. Alien: Covenant is more Friday the 13th than anything else, because you don't give a poo poo about the camp counselors, you just want to see Jason murder people in inventive ways because Jason owns. A lot of people hate that Alien 3 killed off Newt and Hicks, because those characters are great, but did anyone give a gently caress about Shaw being killed off in Covenant? Nope.

CelticPredator posted:

Predator Isolation wouldn't work because you just drop your gun and it won't care about you.

Predator Isolation would have to basically copy the first film where you force the player into a situation where he has to kill and defend himself to establish to the Predator that they're worthy challenge to hunt down. The Predator spends the first half of the movie just watching Arnold and his crew so by the end when Arnold is along and doesn't have weapons it doesn't really matter. The dropping of the weapons thing only really matters to the woman who picks the gun up and tries to shoot, since she isn't a fighter but Arnold knows that being aggressive would cause her to be killed too hence kicking the gun out of her hands. I think something like this happens in Predator 2 with a kid with a toy gun in a park or something, I can't remember.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yes but this is lazy as gently caress and makes all of the characters uninteresting and you don't give two shits about them. Prometheus and Alien: Covenant have decent enough stories, coupled with stunning sounds and visuals they could have been really drat good. You have all of this stuff to make something great and go:

"How about some stupid characters that no one is going to give a poo poo about?"
"You mean like in Jurassic Park that nerd that screws everyone over for his own personal gain?"
"Yeah but without any of the motivation he had. He just dies because, lol, he's dumb! Also make him extremely dry and one dimensional... gently caress it, do this for every character and bloat the amount of characters to around 20 so there can be a lot of deaths."

And I agree with you completely on David being the main character, he is and he's fantastic, but that doesn't mean the other characters had to be bland. In Alien: Covenant David is the horror element, the problem is that you end up liking David because he's dope and does dope poo poo. The "twist" at the end of the film doesn't work because you want David to still be around because I want to see the hosed up creations he makes for the next film. You like David more than you really should and it kinda doesn't work. For example, I love the look and design of the original Alien, it's my favorite fictional creature because it's just so awesome, same with the Queen Alien, Michael Myers, The Thing, etc. The thing is I WANT the crew of the Nostromo to survive because I like Ripley more, same goes for some of the grunts in Aliens, Laurie Strode and MacReady. They're all likeable, charismatic characters that you want to see survive. Alien: Covenant is more Friday the 13th than anything else, because you don't give a poo poo about the camp counselors, you just want to see Jason murder people in inventive ways because Jason owns. A lot of people hate that Alien 3 killed off Newt and Hicks, because those characters are great, but did anyone give a gently caress about Shaw being killed off in Covenant? Nope.

You do not need to care.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You do not need to care.

I derive a lot of my enjoyment from things I don't care about, too.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

Predator Isolation wouldn't work because you just drop your gun and it won't care about you.

That's why you make it so the Predator isn't the only threat, the other threats don't give a poo poo if you're armed or not, and you can't sneak past all of them.

Predator is a Schwarzenegger movie that opens with him and his crew decimating a Central American village while spouting one-liners. An Isolation game based on it would have a good bit more room to be action-y than Alien Isolation did.

e: hell, you could handwave it by giving the player a Call of Duty-esque knife attack... meaning they're always a threat to the Predator because they always have a knife on them.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 13, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

s.i.r.e. posted:

You don't need to care about whether or not the characters live or die, that's the distinction. There are plenty of other thing to care about in Prometheus and Covenant.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

s.i.r.e. posted:

You do not need to enjoy either.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Tis true. All one needth required to do is consume enough nutrients to survive until the point they can reproduce then, upon seeing the child have children of their own, die.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'd rather play as the Predator honestly.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Covok posted:

Tis true. All one needth required to do is consume enough nutrients to survive until the point they can reproduce then, upon seeing the child have children of their own, die.
Really, the only thing that we all "need" to do is die. Everything else is optional.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ersatz posted:

Really, the only thing that we all "need" to do is die. Everything else is optional.

"Nothing is necessary, everything is a choice."

-Charlize Theron, from The Fate of the Furious :haw:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In Vin's character in Riddic being a "Furion" a reference to the fast and furious? I'm only just connecting that now.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Basebf555 posted:

You don't need to care about whether or not the characters live or die, that's the distinction. There are plenty of other thing to care about in Prometheus and Covenant.

No there isn't. lol

Thank you, David. The weight has been lifted.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

s.i.r.e. posted:

In this case "dumb" means "not really prepared or equal to the task they have been given." They're dumb relative to the externally imposed expectation of hyper-competence that lots of people seem to bring to it, but that they're not really up to exploring a dangerous alien ruin is actually told to you very directly when you learn that they only find out what their actual job is when they arrive, and it's ancient aliens poo poo that no one would expect to actually lead them to an actual alien ruin to explore. You can still empathize with them as human beings, in fact, "oh poo poo my boss is a rich nutbag who watched too much History Channel" and "well there is an actual alien pyramid here, I guess I'll do my thing and hope someone knows what they are doing" are actually fairly relateable." It just turns out that they're regular people instead of Batman, and for some reason you can't empathize with that.

The only character besides Weyland who is a straight up unlikeable Jerk is Holloway. Fifeld is kind of abrasive, but he gets killed because he chills out and offers his coworker some weed, and expects his bosses to actually care about the safety of the two people trapped in the pyramid overnight instead of going off to gently caress each other. He actually is the audience stand in in the briefing and hammerpede sceens, identifying the mission as bullshit and the hammerpede as dangerous.

Likewise, the most likeable character being David isn't really a flaw in any sense either :shrug:

Also checking what channel Ancient Aliens plays on, I learned that it is produced by Prometheus Entertainment.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 13, 2017

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The best Predator game would have you playing the Predator and just tossing you into random Call of Duty servers where you can go buck wild on 13 yr olds who have no idea what the gently caress is going on.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Call of Duty: Ghosts did that for one of the DLCs.

Edit: Did none of you play Concrete Jungle?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

MacheteZombie posted:

You make it multi-player and have one person hunt as the alien and everyone else try to survive. Flamethrowers are scarce, if you coordinate you can force the alien into an airlock. The alien can use vents, move silently, has multiple ways to kill people, maybe there's one egg the alien can bring a crew member to so there's two aliens.

They tried this with evolve and everyone hated it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snak posted:

Sorry I left out the critical part in my dream Predator game concept that unlike Concrete Jungle it would actually be a good game.

Tenzarin posted:

They tried this with evolve and everyone hated it.

Evolve didn't suck because of that but because of a total failure to balance the pacing of the game and a total lack of content on launch for something sold for $59.99 that you're then expected to buy tons of alternate skins for most of which were actually just color changes and not new looks. I'd love to play a non-lovely version of Evolve and such a game would sell great. Even fifteen years prior AvP2 had some similar modes to Evolve that were fun and popular.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just go play The Hidden if you want it cheap then. Only need HL2. Hanging bodies from the ceiling for life. Literally for life, the hidden can hit the bodies to get back health. Apparently evolve is now free but is dead, http://store.steampowered.com/app/273350/Evolve_Stage_2/.

It's not like the evolve skins did anything.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 14, 2017

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

biracial bear for uncut posted:

deer have antlers.

google "deer attack"
Men have hands google predator 2

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

banned from Starbucks posted:

The best Predator game would have you playing the Predator and just tossing you into random Call of Duty servers where you can go buck wild on 13 yr olds who have no idea what the gently caress is going on.

This, but I was originally thinking of GTA Online.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Just go play The Hidden if you want it cheap then. Only need HL2. Hanging bodies from the ceiling for life. Literally for life, the hidden can hit the bodies to get back health. Apparently evolve is now free but is dead, http://store.steampowered.com/app/273350/Evolve_Stage_2/.

It's not like the evolve skins did anything.

Sorry guys y'all got to shut up about what a cool Predator game would be like, Tenzarin has spoken.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Snak posted:

Call of Duty: Ghosts did that for one of the DLCs.

Concrete Jungle was a neat idea hamstrung by a lack of a true open world. I still had a real good time with it, though, and the plot cribs heavily from the AvP Eternal comic series (and that's a good thing, and Eternal would make a pretty slick Predator movie).

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I liked the mission where the Predator enters some outdoor bogus wrestling match in broad daylight being watched by millions of spectators.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hodgepodge posted:

In this case "dumb" means "not really prepared or equal to the task they have been given." They're dumb relative to the externally imposed expectation of hyper-competence that lots of people seem to bring to it, but that they're not really up to exploring a dangerous alien ruin is actually told to you very directly when you learn that they only find out what their actual job is when they arrive, and it's ancient aliens poo poo that no one would expect to actually lead them to an actual alien ruin to explore. You can still empathize with them as human beings, in fact, "oh poo poo my boss is a rich nutbag who watched too much History Channel" and "well there is an actual alien pyramid here, I guess I'll do my thing and hope someone knows what they are doing" are actually fairly relateable." It just turns out that they're regular people instead of Batman, and for some reason you can't empathize with that.

They didn't have to be intelligent, but they certainly don't act like regular people. Fifield and Millburn are super dumb, neither of them know the way out so they decide to take off from the safety of their group. This is Scooby Doo level poo poo. They put themselves into those stupid positions where they get killed off. It's ultimately the script that's the dumbest part, giving the guy with the mapping tech no way to view the maps said tech creates. Why the gently caress is a geologist on this mission if the only thing he brings to the table are autonomous drones that don't tell him anything? He goes in to "do his thing" when it's literally just deploying the devices that WY makes anyway. Why does Vickers have one of the rarest surgical robots in the whole universe in her personal quarters but it isn't calibrated for females (lol what?) but can apparently be overwritten easily by someone who's never used it to perform a cesarean? It's so drat lazy. The Prometheus is a trillion dollar ship on a trillion dollar mission with all of the kushy things that you'd need on it and the dude can't view the maps from the Pups but they can sure as poo poo send it back to the ship in real-time through tons of rock and sediment. This isn't the Nostromo where the ship barely functions and is held together by tape and hope. Prometheus is filled with the most advanced technology we've seen in the whole series and the script writer didn't know how to present believable problems for the characters or show us any shortcomings of the said technology (which apparently there isn't any). Instead they just gave us a lot of flat characters that were there just to die.

Hodgepodge posted:

Likewise, the most likeable character being David isn't really a flaw in any sense either :shrug:

David being the most likeable character rules because David owns, but all of the horror elements which stem from him (so everything) in Alien: Covenant don't really work because you know David isn't at risk and you're glad for it because you like him more than the characters we're supposed to want to live.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Walter pretty much kicked his rear end. He just hesitated too long.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
My eyes just start to glaze over when I read another tiresome post about how dumb the chareceters are in Prometheus. It's just constant.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

s.i.r.e. posted:

They didn't have to be intelligent, but they certainly don't act like regular people. Fifield and Millburn are super dumb, neither of them know the way out so they decide to take off from the safety of their group. This is Scooby Doo level poo poo. They put themselves into those stupid positions where they get killed off. It's ultimately the script that's the dumbest part, giving the guy with the mapping tech no way to view the maps said tech creates. Why the gently caress is a geologist on this mission if the only thing he brings to the table are autonomous drones that don't tell him anything? He goes in to "do his thing" when it's literally just deploying the devices that WY makes anyway. Why does Vickers have one of the rarest surgical robots in the whole universe in her personal quarters but it isn't calibrated for females (lol what?) but can apparently be overwritten easily by someone who's never used it to perform a cesarean? It's so drat lazy. The Prometheus is a trillion dollar ship on a trillion dollar mission with all of the kushy things that you'd need on it and the dude can't view the maps from the Pups but they can sure as poo poo send it back to the ship in real-time through tons of rock and sediment. This isn't the Nostromo where the ship barely functions and is held together by tape and hope. Prometheus is filled with the most advanced technology we've seen in the whole series and the script writer didn't know how to present believable problems for the characters or show us any shortcomings of the said technology (which apparently there isn't any). Instead they just gave us a lot of flat characters that were there just to die.

Fifeld and Milburn just get trapped in the pyramid when the storm hits, they don't take off or anything. In theory they're supposed to be in contact with the Prometheus, but Janek and Vickers go off to gently caress instead of keeping tabs on them. The drones are programmed to send map data to the Prometheus because that's where the mission is being coordinated from. He was hired by Vickers, who thinks the missions is bullshit and will find nothing because that's a really reasonable thing to think about a mission that sounds like an Ancient Aliens episode. Vickers has an advanced surgical bay programmed for a man because it is there for her father, who doesn't give a poo poo about her.

You describe the film as lazy, but you don't seem to have been paying much attention to it :shrug:

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jul 15, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Maybe everyone was a robot except for Shaw.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The question about why the surgical pod is calibrated for a male is really a red flag that you barely paid attention to the movie.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hodgepodge posted:

You describe the film as lazy, but you don't seem to have been paying much attention to it :shrug:

All of this, and also anyone who says "they're too dumb to be real people" hasn't been watching the news for the past year ever

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

The question about why the surgical pod is calibrated for a male is really a red flag that you barely paid attention to the movie.

Yep. Although, to be fair, it made no sense for a ship to have that much advanced tech and yet the medical pod could only be calibrated for males and yet also didn't recognize the uterus as a foreign body. It was stupid to miss but also stupid to have in the movie in the first place.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
There's nothing in the film that says the drones are made by Weyland either.

Everything implies that Fifield is their creator.

(I checked, and it's some EU stuff.)

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 15, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Phone post.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Phone post.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Best post you've ever made

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Scuffle in the war room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Frankly Fifeld and Milburn may well have either had remote access to the Prometheus's holo-map or good enough memories not to need it under most conditions. Their problem was that at least one of them was scared and panicky, and that there was a deadly shrapnel storm outside. All that needed to happen was for Fifeld to take one wrong turn, realize it too late (perhaps after checking his map), and find after course-correcting and returning to the entrance that it was no longer possible to cross the planet surface.