Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There were tweaks to the builds of Nazi tanks on average every twenty vehicles.

Most of these were minor, but it was a maintenance nightmare that all the tanks in the field differed in subtle ways.

Good luck replacing that part that was only like that on tanks numbered two hundred and five through two hundred and seventy.

And yes, they used sequential serial numbers, allowing the Allies to very accurately estimate how many tanks of each type had been produced. The German Tank Problem is one of the first things students learn about statistics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I forget which tank it was (Tiger?) that had a transmission that was only rated for like 100 miles (leading to the joke that a 101-mile-long road is a "tank destroyer"). And if you needed to service it, you had to remove the entire engine as well as a bunch of other stuff to get at it.

This one probably doesn't count as it never was built, but the Lippisch P.13a was a proposed delta-wing aircraft that supposedly would be able to achieve supersonic flight. It was to fly on coal dust (there being a shortage of liquid petrochemicals in Germany at the time) and was unarmed; instead, it would destroy its targets by ramming them. The pilot's safety would be assured by thorough reinforcement of the plane.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I just watched Der Untergang (/Hitler Reacts Movie/Downfall) and holy gently caress is it more depressing now that I'm old

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I just watched Der Untergang (/Hitler Reacts Movie/Downfall) and holy gently caress is it more depressing now that I'm old
Umm what about Nazis blowing their brains out depresses you

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

The nazis had to exist first

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Murdering the dogs.

(Hitler tested the cyanide on his dog, then took it himself, then swallowed his gun, and finally at least ten dogs were shot in the garden by Hitler’s dog handler, Fritz Tornow, five of them puppies less than four weeks old.)

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Statistically half those puppies were going to get raped by Soviets anyway

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

:aochloe:

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Pook Good Mook posted:

Statistically half those puppies were going to get raped by Soviets anyway

Are you the guy that wrote Half Life Full Life Consequences or are you just using the same avatar?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

That post about all the issues with Nazi uniforms was very interesting, thank you for crossposting it. It's kind of ironic that when considering that the design intent of the uniform was primarily to look aesthetically striking and intimidating, it was actually a resounding success, given how prevalent the Nazi military aesthetic has continued to be in media (e.g. all the Star Wars movies) and culture (e.g. uniform fetishism) in the post-war decades.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Red Bones posted:

That post about all the issues with Nazi uniforms was very interesting, thank you for crossposting it. It's kind of ironic that when considering that the design intent of the uniform was primarily to look aesthetically striking and intimidating, it was actually a resounding success, given how prevalent the Nazi military aesthetic has continued to be in media (e.g. all the Star Wars movies) and culture (e.g. uniform fetishism) in the post-war decades.

What's :newlol: is that they literally ignored the most important and practical characteristic of uniforms, to their own cost. (Hint: it's in the name.)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

they were too slow at reshaping the german people into the uniform

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I forget which tank it was (Tiger?) that had a transmission that was only rated for like 100 miles (leading to the joke that a 101-mile-long road is a "tank destroyer"). And if you needed to service it, you had to remove the entire engine as well as a bunch of other stuff to get at it.

That would've been the Panther, where they took the idea of a decently sensible medium tank design and kept adding more armour to the front until the transmission just couldn't deal any more. And yeah, servicing the transmission meant opening up the hull roof and vertically lifting the whole thing out of there and back in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zguDtwk_Bs

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What's :newlol: is that they literally ignored the most important and practical characteristic of uniforms, to their own cost. (Hint: it's in the name.)

You could not see them?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Milo and POTUS posted:

You could not see them?

one size fits all

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Platystemon posted:

There were tweaks to the builds of Nazi tanks on average every twenty vehicles.

Most of these were minor, but it was a maintenance nightmare that all the tanks in the field differed in subtle ways.

Good luck replacing that part that was only like that on tanks numbered two hundred and five through two hundred and seventy.

And yes, they used sequential serial numbers, allowing the Allies to very accurately estimate how many tanks of each type had been produced. The German Tank Problem is one of the first things students learn about statistics.
Jokes on the allies when they disable tanks 1-23 and 25 but 24 is still in the shop getting shims hammered in.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

zedprime posted:

Jokes on the allies when they disable tanks 1-23 and 25 but 24 is still in the shop getting shims hammered in.

war principal gonna be looking for tank 24 all weekend lmao

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The only reason Finland wasn't fully kitted out in those uniforms was it was too poor to afford it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

You could not see them?

They weren't uniform.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
About serial numbers on German tanks, is serial number analysis still a matter of concern in warfare, and what measures have been taken to counter it?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kevin DuBrow posted:

About serial numbers on German tanks, is serial number analysis still a matter of concern in warfare, and what measures have been taken to counter it?

Use Roman numerals so no American will understand them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Just use random numbers. If you need to know when the tank came off the line, look it up in a file.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Standard practice is to denote the first three units of any vehicle model as 69, 420, and 80085 to prevent enemy armies from estimating the correct number

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Kevin DuBrow posted:

When I was doing my undergrad dissertation in industrial archaeology (on a railway-related topic) I worked with someone doing a PhD in railway studies. One aspect of their research was to do with trying to pin down the movements of rail wagons owned by a coal merchant in Suffolk - before WW2 it was common for even small businesses like coal merchants, farm suppliers, building contractors etc. to own their own railway wagons, in the same way they'd own a van or truck road vehicle today.

Anyway, this PhD student had amassed loads of documentary evidence about how these wagons were used, right down to a surviving volume of the railway station's freight register (which logged every wagon and cargo taken in and out of the station). And yet he couldn't make sense of how this coal merchant was using his wagons.

Long story short - it turned out that this coal merchant used non-sequential numbers to identify his wagons. He started at some arbitrary number (17, iirc) and then went up in skipped pairs of odd numbers. He only had three or four wagons but they were numbered something like 17, 21, 25 and 29.

Further research showed that this sort of thing was common practice, since it made the business (the name of which was writ large on the side of the wagon) seem larger and more prosperous than it actually was, while letting your customers (and rivals) see wagon No.1 marked you out as, well, a one-wagon operation. It made no difference to the owner how random the numbering sequence was because they had the records, they didn't actually have that many wagons and all they needed to know was where wagon [number] was or what maintenance it needed.

What I'm saying is that provincial coal merchants in 1890s Britain were smarter than the Nazis.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Makes a lot of sense considering fascism isn't a coherent method of governmance, it's a mindset of pursuing aesthetics above literally everything else. Trying to LARP your totalitarian ethnostate into existence.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

BalloonFish posted:

What I'm saying is that provincial coal merchants in 1890s Britain were smarter than the Nazis.

On a related note, when the nazis were getting started they added something like 500 on to the start of all the membership card numbers. It does make you look more numerous, but on the other hand I feel people might wonder why the founders were #501 etc. I suppose that’s one of many reasons to purge the early party.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The commonly held image of Nazi Germany as some kind of brutally efficient fascist state really bothers me because it suggests that governments need to be competently run in order to exact immense suffering upon people.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

The commonly held image of Nazi Germany as some kind of brutally efficient fascist state really bothers me because it suggests that governments need to be competently run in order to exact immense suffering upon people.

The myth of German efficiency is propagated by the Germans, for business reasons.
The myth of Fascist efficiency is propagated by Fascists, because they're Fascists.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Adolf Hitler was Donald Trump with a snappier tailor and a better speech writer. The nazi leaders were the Bannons, Pences, Scaramuchis and Kushners of their era, with the occasional McMaster thrown in by pure chance.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Like, Göring was a decorated WWI fighter ace and got put in charge of all German aviation, while Speer was a nobody who was appointed armaments minister because Hitler liked his house designs.

One turned out to be a fat, drugged-up moron who almost singlehandedly ran both civilian and military aviation into the ground, while the other turned out to be a genius of industrial organization.

The idea of nazi Germany as this highly efficient meritocracy was a PR bluff propagated by the nazis themselves. The only quality necessary to attain a leadership position was that Hitler liked you. Whether you were good at your job or not was completely secondary.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Adolf Hitler was Donald Trump with a snappier tailor and a better speech writer. The nazi leaders were the Bannons, Pences, Scaramuchis and Kushners of their era, with the occasional McMaster thrown in by pure chance.

Modern people will think this is hyperbole but it's really important people understand that the Nazis were incredibly dumb, self-serving, and without shame, and basically fell rear end backwards into a situation tailor made for their ideology. They were all backstabbing, self-dealing morons that undermined the interests of the State at every opportunity and basically relied upon a marginally competent civil service to make their terrible ideas possible. At nearly every point where good strategy or politics conflicted with ideology, they chose ideology, even when it completely hosed them down the road in completely predictable ways.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Basically if they hadn't completely lucked out and taken France in one insane gamble, they'd have gone down as incompetent as Mussolini's crew.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

The nazis were dysfunctional even in their cruelty. Like, the various misery-inflicting organs were constantly in conflict with each other.
Speer: "Hey, I promised Herr Generalfabrikator Schmundt 15000 slaves for his corrosive acid factory, where the hell are they?"
Department cheif Fritz: "Some SS Obergruppenführer showed up, said that they were his slaves now and shipped them all to Poland, and said that if I had a problem with that I should bring it up with Reichsführer SS."
So then it turns into a poo poo slinging contest between Speer and Himmler over who had dibs on the train load of prisoners, all the while Hitler is like "I don't give a poo poo, sort it out yourselves" while he masturbates over his scale model of Welthauptstadt Germania.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Soviet factories used a different serial number range for every month of production, for instance.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The gas chambers themselves were the result of a series of trial and error to murder people more efficiently.

The Wikipedia page on gas vans goes into this a little.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Sunshine posted:

The nazis were dysfunctional even in their cruelty. Like, the various misery-inflicting organs were constantly in conflict with each other.
Speer: "Hey, I promised Herr Generalfabrikator Schmundt 15000 slaves for his corrosive acid factory, where the hell are they?"
Department cheif Fritz: "Some SS Obergruppenführer showed up, said that they were his slaves now and shipped them all to Poland, and said that if I had a problem with that I should bring it up with Reichsführer SS."
So then it turns into a poo poo slinging contest between Speer and Himmler over who had dibs on the train load of prisoners, all the while Hitler is like "I don't give a poo poo, sort it out yourselves" while he masturbates over his scale model of Welthauptstadt Germania.

Karl Otto Och is an example of this. He sold both people as slaves and their food rations on the black market. One of the thing he used slave labor for was to build a miniature zoo complete with bears and monkeys. In the end he was reported by jealous colleagues and was executed for dishonoring the SS (yes, really).

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

exquisite tea posted:

It's been awhile since I took the class but I thought the Germans were early adopters in developing and utilizing bureaucratic methods, at least? With the obvious sinister implications later.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

AvesPKS posted:

It's been awhile since I took the class but I thought the Germans were early adopters in developing and utilizing bureaucratic methods, at least? With the obvious sinister implications later.

I've heard the same rumor that the Nazi's had insane levels of hard copy back-ups for everything, to the point where when trying to destroy records of the concentration camps was impractical because there was multiple copies of the records stored in multiple places.

I think data redundancy isn't the same as being efficient. I imagine a lot of that was done to head off being shot in the head over a missing survey or report when they send it to 8 people hoping the 1 person who needs it won't blame them if they lose it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mr. Sunshine posted:

genius of industrial organization.

Having endless slaves is kind of easy mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
the question is always "if the nazis hadn't done x, y and z impractical things for ideological and propaganda purposes, they may have had better outcomes in actually relevant goals a, b, and c. why did they do x, y and z?" And the answer is always "they were never not going to do x, y and z because they're nazis with a nonsense ideology driving an inherently dysfunctional movement"

AvesPKS posted:

The French and British were probably the early adopters on the continent for those structures of ministries and career civil servants, all based on the Chinese model. The idea being that among the career civil servants, a meritocracy brings the competent people to higher levels of responsibility.
The frequent method in the Nazi era was to "cap the pyramid", taking existing bureaucratic structures and appointing a party-approved administrator to be in charge of the whole thing.