Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

only if you can color-code your overheat flair, thanks to lasers bein able to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
It sounds neat. So these Laser Heatsinks are akin to Double Heatsinks but they manage heat better on hotter environments but less efficiently on colder planets?

I'd love to see that heat effect for them.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

If they're releasing a 3052 mech, I'm guessing the Bushwacker is around the corner?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Stringbean posted:

It sounds neat. So these Laser Heatsinks are akin to Double Heatsinks but they manage heat better on hotter environments but less efficiently on colder planets?

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Laser_Heat_Sink

A good set of quirks to reflect the Night Gyr would be -100% environment heat effects (a quirk that already exists) reflecting how neither hot or cold environments effect the mech and an inability to equip coolshot modules, which would reflect the Night Gyr's incompatibility with traditional coolant.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 4, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Stringbean posted:

they also reduced the chance at an ammo cookoff if you were running super hot, but they don't really have a model for that in this game.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Really, heat management in the computer games has always been way the gently caress off what it was in TT. In TT you didn't start shutting down until you got way the gently caress into the red zone, but you started getting all sorts of negative modifiers to your to-hit rolls, piloting rolls, etc. The fact that it got increasingly impossible to hit anything as your targeting computers locked up and died had a much bigger impact and was what ultimately made you cease fire for a bit to cool down.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

ammo cookoff if you were running super hot

That's a completely different game that doesn't have mechs in it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

That's a completely different game that doesn't have mechs in it.

What are you talking about? Here's a shot of the significant part of your standard mech sheet:

edit: god I forgot they put movement modifiers in if you were running hot. God I'd love to see that in this game - watch Arctic Cheetahs start moving like stock urbies while red-lining.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

What are you talking about? Here's a shot of the significant part of your standard mech sheet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8ujaGTof3M

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

The Repo Man posted:

Long Tom damage reduced to 300 from 700, and will no longer head shot after the 17th. Wish they had rolled out that damage change yesterday.

It couldn't be rolled out that fast. It requires a significant code change and was not eligible to be hot fixed.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Number19 posted:

It couldn't be rolled out that fast. It requires a significant code change and was not eligible to be hot fixed.

Yo, make sure they get my idea on laser heatsinks, it's the best way to do it, and half of it is already in game.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Number19 posted:

I figured. We did amazing despite the pre-damage change. Would have won if we had split up more early on.

Axetrain posted:

We won didn't we! something something eggs and omelettes.

No! All that matters is you killed me! Something something man-child rant.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Number19 posted:

You should still suggest to Russ that they should sell neon hot pink for 150%-200% cost and donate the extra to a breast cancer awareness/treatment charity. Anyone who wants bright pink is going to pay extra for it and it's a good PR move.

Hell, I'd probably spend $10 for hot pink if even $5 of that went to a reputable charity.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 5, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

You should still suggest to Russ that they should sell neon hot pink for 150%-200% cost and donate the extra to a breast cancer awareness/treatment charity. Anyone who wants bright pink is going to pay extra for it and it's a good PR move.

Hell, I'd probably spend $10 for hot pink if even $5 of that went to charity.

Just as long as it isn't Komen.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

A.o.D. posted:

Just as long as it isn't Komen.

Good catch. Changed my post to say 'a reputable charity'

I'm tough enough to Atlas in pink. :colbert:

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Hello Kitty Dads or go home. :shobon:

Too bad the anime Atlas-S is pretty hard to get looking pink without some finagling. :(

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Good catch. Changed my post to say 'a reputable charity'

I'm tough enough to Atlas in pink. :colbert:

Here: https://www.womenshelters.org/det/topeka-rescue-mission-inc

$50 dollars to the Topeka Rescue Mission would do more good for women than $50,000 to Komen.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
just played my first match, used the trial Artic Cheetah. Got a whopping 509 damage and three assists :(

edit: and I'm already considering an urbanmech

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 5, 2016

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Don't do it if it is going to be your 1st/2nd mech.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

just played my first match, used the trial Artic Cheetah. Got a whopping 509 damage and three assists :(

that's not a bad performance, what are you complaining about?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I had no idea what i was doing lol, I was on HPG uplink and everything was grey. Just did another match, didn't do as much damage but I felt like I lasted longer

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I just noticed the frowny face. 500 pts is doing pretty good. I actually assumed you were making a happy post. You can hit N for nightvision and H for thermal.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
just did a match on polar wastelands or whatever, really sucked with all short range, but at 429 before I died. I love running behind people!! Always liked lights in MW games.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

509 is good. Assists are good. Don't think that if you aren't getting kills you are doing bad.

Urbanmechs aren't a starter mech. If you are still buying your first few, check the OP. Cheetahs with ECM and Sml pulse, or a Storm crow are going to be solid first buys.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
In general, if you do more than 300 damage in a match you're pulling your weight.

Notable exceptions are if you get a lot of killing blows or are packing LRM's (they 'waste' a lot of damage because they have jack for consolidating it) and ACH's are mean.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
hah yeah I just looked at the score board after this last match and apparently I was the best light. I tried to screen shot it but it just pasted black so IDK.

How long can I use the trial mechs for?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Forever, but sometimes they will change which ones are available.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

hah yeah I just looked at the score board after this last match and apparently I was the best light. I tried to screen shot it but it just pasted black so IDK.

Honestly, if you're enjoying lights so much - buy an ACH. gently caress, you can buy two if you save your first 25 match bonuses. That way you're 2/3 to Eliting it. Don't buy an UM.

Oh and...

Pooncha posted:

Hello Kitty Dads or go home. :shobon:

Too bad the anime Atlas-S is pretty hard to get looking pink without some finagling. :(

Not an Atlas, but I had this guy painted this way since I got it.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
well, my 4th match I was put in a higher tier. Didn't do so hot, haha.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

You start just about at tier 4, so if you win your first few you move up right away. If you lose a couple badly you will drop down to 5 again. The PSL is kinda weird, if you win and do good (get damage mostly), you go up. If you lose and don't do well, you go down. Everything else you stay the same.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

Here: https://www.womenshelters.org/det/topeka-rescue-mission-inc

$50 dollars to the Topeka Rescue Mission would do more good for women than $50,000 to Komen.

Ok spell this out for me. I'm way out of the loop with this stuff. Does kamen eat babies or something?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

They eat babies, but they never bring enough to share with everyone.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ok spell this out for me. I'm way out of the loop with this stuff. Does kamen eat babies or something?

Komen has a hosed structure. The overwhelming % of their donations go to executive pay and advertising. They don't fund breast cancer treatment or research, they support "breast cancer awareness". Every dollar that goes to Komen is a dollar that isn't going to a charity that actually does some good. It's a marketing firm disguised as a charity that only markets itself.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

A.o.D. posted:

Komen has a hosed structure. The overwhelming % of their donations go to executive pay and advertising. They don't fund breast cancer treatment or research, they support "breast cancer awareness". Every dollar that goes to Komen is a dollar that isn't going to a charity that actually does some good. It's a marketing firm disguised as a charity that only markets itself.

i love you, unironically.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

armchairyoda posted:

hell, same.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Dying to 3 streak crows while in a Pirate's Bane in the capture zone of Scouting in the last 1 second of a match kind of sucks, but overall great matches tonight. Loosing that Invasion match to a single kill was pretty alright, tense, and fun.

Whoever asked for the 10 Medium Laser Nova match recording, it'll be a while before I can get to uploading that. I need to run it through Handbrake first to make sure YT doesn't screw it up, and I won't have enough time to do that for a while. Maybe when the event is over. Remind me then.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
My 4MPL 6SPL crow isnt the most durable, but hell is it fun.
Crows are fun.

Why did they lower dropdeck tonnage again? I was running 2timber 2 crows last time, now its 250 again.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

armchairyoda posted:

:blush:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Some good Invasion matches last night

If you have the 'mechs for it (things like Battlemasters or Grasshoppers) it's definitely worth having an ERLL boat as an option. I parked on the hills in Boreal Vault and Emerald Taiga with my -2C and spent the entire match making sure the enemy were under pressure every time they moved out of cover. Any clanner that decides to trade with you doesn't really have a range advantage, and you've likely got way more structure than they do, and if they're trading with you, they're not looking at your spacebros about to descend upon them with SRMs and rage.

It's also really helpful for calling out pushes and IDing important targets, since you can effectively see the entire map from where you are

I wouldn't have more than two robots doing it though, else you start missing armor from the front lines

either that or have all 12 robots do it and melt the clans from 800m away

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pattonesque posted:

Some good Invasion matches last night

If you have the 'mechs for it (things like Battlemasters or Grasshoppers) it's definitely worth having an ERLL boat as an option. I parked on the hills in Boreal Vault and Emerald Taiga with my -2C and spent the entire match making sure the enemy were under pressure every time they moved out of cover. Any clanner that decides to trade with you doesn't really have a range advantage, and you've likely got way more structure than they do, and if they're trading with you, they're not looking at your spacebros about to descend upon them with SRMs and rage.

It's also really helpful for calling out pushes and IDing important targets, since you can effectively see the entire map from where you are

I wouldn't have more than two robots doing it though, else you start missing armor from the front lines

either that or have all 12 robots do it and melt the clans from 800m away

The match on Grim Portico where the two of us just kinda sat back and melted the entire enemy team with large lasers was pretty beautiful :allears:

I may invest in a Battlemaster at some point just for ERLL purposes. They at least look pretty good, too.

Event bitch: I wish they'd lower the intel requirement for it. I feel like I'm going to have to play games where all I do is look for intel to complete it and, having already done a few, it feels like I functionally don't contribute. I hate it.

• Locked thread