Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Zurai posted:

Welcome to Apocalypse MO fights, where DeNA tries to gently caress you over as cruelly as they can. Home of the MO Omniscient fight where he's vulnerable to Berserk ... but his only attack while Berserked is an unblinkable, undodgeable, unmitigatable 99,999 damage melee hit. And he still uses Rewind if you hit him with melee attacks, because gently caress you.

I haven't had issues with most of the Apocalypse fights, but this Demon Wall has a really unfair number of status effects that are hard to keep up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
What day does the anniversary event start?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

1st AD posted:

I haven't had issues with most of the Apocalypse fights, but this Demon Wall has a really unfair number of status effects that are hard to keep up with.

They need to put Ribbon in the game as a 6* accessory imo.

If they did it already ignore this post after you tell me where it is.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Ohtsam posted:

What day does the anniversary event start?

15th is when Orbfest starts and we start gearing up in a big way, expect login bonuses/games/background music etc.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Zurai posted:

Welcome to Apocalypse MO fights, where DeNA tries to gently caress you over as cruelly as they can. Home of the MO Omniscient fight where he's vulnerable to Berserk ... but his only attack while Berserked is an unblinkable, undodgeable, unmitigatable 99,999 damage melee hit. And he still uses Rewind if you hit him with melee attacks, because gently caress you.

Okay that's hilarious

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Zurai posted:

I'll have fun seeing how many pubbie groups it will take to actually finish that. Like I'd let every Cloud user in the group, just to see the inevitable happen. :allears:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

JP pubs learned very, very quickly to boot anyone with Berserk or a physical attack equipped, but Global pubs seem a bit .... slower.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Status effects seem like a major gap in the way DENA had set up the game. If you need elemental buffs or debuffs, there's a lot of SB gear, equipment in the Keepers Choice banners and the elemental resistance accessories in the Nightmare dungeons with that's available.
If you want status resistance, good luck! Hopefully an event will drop something. I can give everyone stuff against blind, silence, and I've got one accessory with slow and confuse resist. The only form of broader mitigation at the moment is affliction break.
I don't get it, would having one major resist accessory for each status be that game changing? It's silly that I can have everyone resist KO but I am completely helpless against Petrify.

Edit:The lucky dice would've been way better if they gave minor resistance to all statuses.

Zonko_T.M. fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 27, 2017

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Status effects seem like a major gap in the way DENA had set up the game. If you need elemental buffs or debuffs, there's a lot of SB gear, equipment in the Keepers Choice banners and the elemental resistance accessories in the Nightmare dungeons with that's available.
If you want status resistance, good luck! Hopefully an event will drop something. I can give everyone stuff against blind, silence, and I've got one accessory with slow and confuse resist. The only form of broader mitigation at the moment is affliction break.
I don't get it, would having one major resist accessory for each status be that game changing? It's silly that I can have everyone resist KO but I am completely helpless against Petrify.

Edit:The lucky dice would've been way better if they gave minor resistance to all statuses.

Totally agree, and it's one of the more annoying aspects of the game. I really wish they'd waste less event accessory rewards on flat stat bonuses, and increase the amount of element and status resistance availability.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Ugh this Apoc Demon Wall fight is fuckin' wretched. Feels like some sadist set out to make the worst boss fight they possibly could.

Affliction break helps, and so does having lots of redundancies in case someone gets stopped. I brought a y'shtola with ssii and esuna and that's all she did. There were two other dedicated healers (and a tyro with SG just in case) and things went fine. I guess we were lucky he kept stopping the same guy over and over, though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah the problem is that the couple times I've tried to run this, he's stopped/sleeped 3-5 people at any given time and there aren't enough healers to keep up with all the status effects. And while you're managing that, your DPS drops and eventually you can't maintain slow and he kills you.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Just looked at the Demon Wall fight. Okay then, time to make affliction break

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

U-DO Burger posted:

Got it done and Mastered, and yeah, I had to craft Affliction Break, too. Not that that is a bad thing, but that's still 6* resources spent.

Went in with a team of Ramza (Affliction Break/Power Breakdown/Shout) and Selphie (Ultra Cure/Protectga/Strange Vision). If the prick keeps Haste on for more than a turn, consider yourself hosed, because in between all of the lag, he'll get approximately five to six attacks in, and you won't be alive any more. Had Selphie constantly spam the Cmd2 Dispel while Ramza balanced his moves. Had two TG Cids with their OSB (one of whom had an R3 Omega Drive) going to town, along with an Eiko BSBer and Minwu BSBer keeping people up. Last slot was OSB Cloud and SG Tyro, who did their jobs well. The rear end in a top hat managed to get off Sleep on three people despite being AB'd, so I was sweating at the end, but we pulled it off.

I'd also like to take a moment now and say Absolutely gently caress the poor optimization on Android phones. This is not the kind of fight that I want to be watching a goddamn slideshow in.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

U-DO Burger posted:

I took my sweet time deciding which Nightmare ability to craft and Affliction Break came out as the clear winner. Every time poo poo like this pops up I'm really glad I made that decision. It's not perfect and I wish it was even better but it's still the one that will minimize the screaming and phone punching in the long run. Status spam can suck every dick on the planet.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah, I could get over the annoyance of all the status ailments if it wasn't also on an instant death timer. It would still be a very grindy fight without that, but it sucks when you've got him at like 40% health and your entire team is buffed and healed and you just die because he stopped / confused / slept the wrong people.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
theres no way to unstop yourself right? Esuna doesnt work on it and there aren't any stop resist that I know of so you just have to eat it or m blink it right?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The best "unStop" ability available is to put Stop on someone with low MND and let them cast it on the stopped character to overwrite the timer. Otherwise your defensive options for actually eating one are to have high MND and use Mind Breakdown on the enemy.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the best unstop is to bring people with loads of MND. having a stop wear off instantly is very satisfying.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Ugh this Apoc Demon Wall fight is fuckin' wretched. Feels like some sadist set out to make the worst boss fight they possibly could.

It's actually a lot more tolerable if you do it yourself with 2 to 3 holy BSBs. Having to rely on Netplay Lag and Pubbie Idiocy makes it impossible.

Of course, that requires you to have two to three holy BSBs.

Either way, Apoc Demon Wall Solo was easier than non-CM U+ Mandragoras, so :shrug:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

KataraniSword posted:

It's actually a lot more tolerable if you do it yourself with 2 to 3 holy BSBs. Having to rely on Netplay Lag and Pubbie Idiocy makes it impossible.

Either way, Apoc Demon Wall Solo was easier than non-CM U+ Mandragoras, so :shrug:

I got super lucky with the Mandragoras, they didn't land a single status effect somehow. Only used pollen twice and it missed both times even though I had no resist gear on.

Still a rough fight since the AoE spam got nuts and I was trying to race them with a mage team and thus didn't bother trying to dispel their haste / buffs. Barely scraped by thanks to RW'ed Cid's BSB, but I had like 3 people that were 1 hit away from eating it.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Would people be interested in a Fuujin SB RW for U+ Mandragora's? It's pretty much the perfect scenario for an AoE 25% Affliction Break and it also has Phys Blink on top to boot. I can change my RW for the event duration if people want it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Prav posted:

the best unstop is to bring people with loads of MND. having a stop wear off instantly is very satisfying.

I wish I had more XII synergy gear because I can't get a natural level 99 healer with enough MND that stop wears off quickly.

KataraniSword posted:

poo poo, I might have to do this since I have 5 holy BSB's and 2 holy OSB's.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010
Since people have been complaining about it here and in the discord, figured I'd put up a little PSA. Dispels and status effects are pretty huge on u+ mandragoras. The top right is vulnerable to confuse, the bottom left blind, the bottom right sleep. Their haste and attack buff is no joke either. Inflict the ones you can, dispel the ones you can't, and it's night and day.

They have a piercing, row ignoring physical aoe (ultimate ram) they like to spam at low health, so just trying to aoe them is very dangerous. When one dies, it gives all the others haste/proshell in addition to a stacking stat buff, to punish one at a time strats. Statuses get around both nicely, using their own bs against them.

The best part is, the back and bottom right ones are weak to holy/dark. So if you're RWing raines for your aoe its not too tough to kill those two first and be left with a blind one, a confused one, and only one other. Then you can take them out one by one.

Hope it helps.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Pint-Sized Shitlords done and CM'd. Took about 12 S/L, solely for Vayne to land a goddamn Sleep spell.

(All Lvl. 80 except Larsa)
Ashe - Ultima Weapon R1/Tiamat R3 - Devotion
Vayne - Stop R5/Sleep R5 - Impetuous Youth
Balthier - Blind Shell R3/Confuse Shell R3 - Feral Might
Larsa - Ultra Cure R3/Protectga R3 - Lionheart
Penelo - Curaja R5/Multi Break R2 - Thief's Code

Balthier was able to land nearly all of his status effects every time. Vayne, on the other hand, managed one Sleep hit my entire run, and that's the fight I finally won. No native SBs used, although I had a shared medica ready on Larsa. RW was Raines BSB, and a lot of Cmd2 spam. About 9 of the fights attempted were ended by a stray status effect hitting someone vital, but for the most part, Pollen was missing everyone.

I still feel wholly miserable about this event. Burned 100 mythril to get a dupe and some relics for Basch, and then I didn't even use him or Gabranth for the CM. Burned all of my egg stash to get Vayne up to 80, which thankfully didn't backfire, but now he'll be sitting idle unless I get something during another event. So, today I learned (again), don't pull relics unless you absolutely have to, and even then, don't, because you are an unlucky idiot.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Demon Wall trip report: Affliction Break owns

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

way to go steve posted:

Since people have been complaining about it here and in the discord, figured I'd put up a little PSA. Dispels and status effects are pretty huge on u+ mandragoras. The top right is vulnerable to confuse, the bottom left blind, the bottom right sleep. Their haste and attack buff is no joke either. Inflict the ones you can, dispel the ones you can't, and it's night and day.

They have a piercing, row ignoring physical aoe (ultimate ram) they like to spam at low health, so just trying to aoe them is very dangerous. When one dies, it gives all the others haste/proshell in addition to a stacking stat buff, to punish one at a time strats. Statuses get around both nicely, using their own bs against them.

The best part is, the back and bottom right ones are weak to holy/dark. So if you're RWing raines for your aoe its not too tough to kill those two first and be left with a blind one, a confused one, and only one other. Then you can take them out one by one.

Hope it helps.

This is all fine and good except...
  • ...we don't have any options for AoE dispel. We don't get any options for AoE dispel until next event, with Hope's BSB2... which is on the second banner, so you can't use it here.
  • ...Sleep has a 30% chance of sticking with the BLK1 spell/SUP3 buster. You could bring Phantasm, but that's not CM-viable.
  • ...Stop wears off pretty quick - you'll get maybe one round of reprieve while Hasted unless you spam turns keeping it locked down. Sure, rushing down the Dark-weak and Holy-weak Mandragoras gets rid of this argument and the prior one, but in the meantime you've got to keep them held down while you whittle them dead.
  • ...There's one Mandragora no matter what that will keep spamming moves at you. This one single mandragora that doesn't have prolonged lockdown options (It's vulnerable to Stun, but stun is incredibly short and incredibly unreliable) is also the one that has Esuna.
  • ...No matter what order you tackle them in, one of them is going to end up with 2.5x its original ATK/DEF/RES natively.

Even with every tool at your disposal, this is a lovely fight.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

This is all fine and good except...
  • ...we don't have any options for AoE dispel. We don't get any options for AoE dispel until next event, with Hope's BSB2... which is on the second banner, so you can't use it here.
  • ...Sleep has a 30% chance of sticking with the BLK1 spell/SUP3 buster. You could bring Phantasm, but that's not CM-viable.
  • ...Stop wears off pretty quick - you'll get maybe one round of reprieve while Hasted unless you spam turns keeping it locked down. Sure, rushing down the Dark-weak and Holy-weak Mandragoras gets rid of this argument and the prior one, but in the meantime you've got to keep them held down while you whittle them dead.
  • ...There's one Mandragora no matter what that will keep spamming moves at you. This one single mandragora that doesn't have prolonged lockdown options (It's vulnerable to Stun, but stun is incredibly short and incredibly unreliable) is also the one that has Esuna.
  • ...No matter what order you tackle them in, one of them is going to end up with 2.5x its original ATK/DEF/RES natively.

Even with every tool at your disposal, this is a lovely fight.

I'm not defending the fight, just trying to help people out with what worked for me. I got a lot of mileage out of banishing strike and blind/confuse shell in that fight. I avoided mentioning stop and stun for exactly the reasons you brought up.

This wasn't meant to be a CM guide, anyone who wants to put themselves through that can do their research. Just trying to give some tips people might not have thought of to at least get through the thing.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
So I finally picked up a good Balthier relic: Heart of Gold. I can once again justify using the main character, sort of.

Would've preferred his OSB but what the hell, there are worse things than a strong piece of armor with ATK and fire+. Given that I don't have his other good SBs, is there any way for me to exploit the fire+/Enfire combo in practice other than diving Spellblade 5 for twinstrike?

I'd consider pulling again for his OSB to try and activate beastmode, but my XII synergy is so good I can't justify it. I've already got the 5* weapons and armor across enough common types to run a full synergy team. I've been fishing for Balthier for a while, and the game kept hooking me up with consolation prizes for everybody else.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Despite all the hating on pubbies, I was able to do both U+ and apocalypse tonight, neither times with a particularly good team. U+ took one try and Apoc took two. I used Minifila with blind resist, and both of her relics and Y'shtola. It helped that someone had tgcid and onion knight with entrust. At one point he did 3 thunder gods in a row.

Affliction break is pretty much mandatory here.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

iamsosmrt posted:

Despite all the hating on pubbies, I was able to do both U+ and apocalypse tonight, neither times with a particularly good team. U+ took one try and Apoc took two. I used Minifila with blind resist, and both of her relics and Y'shtola. It helped that someone had tgcid and onion knight with entrust. At one point he did 3 thunder gods in a row.

Affliction break is pretty much mandatory here.

Basically, the more Important Factors you can guarantee are either under your own control or the control of friends in the raid, the less problem you'll have with pickup groups.

In this case, the Important Factors are:
  • Wall
  • Power Breakdown
  • Affliction Break
  • A reliable source of Slow (and Dispel if you want to be really safe from Haste)
  • Healing - both HP restoration and status curing
  • DPS - includes things like Boostgas/Faithgas and high damage BSBs/OSBs both

You've got over half of those in your own team, so you don't have to worry about the kind of person who does things like "uses Stoneskin II once at the beginning of the battle and then burns Y'shtola's next three(!) gauges on Medica II" or "brings along a Lv50 Squall with Armor Break and Launch at R2". Naturally, the latter can be weeded out with kicks if you're in charge of the raid, but the former is a plague anywhere if you don't have your own native wall.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I actually did the MP ultimate and apoc with pubbies tonight as well. Ultimate took one try, Apoc took 2, mainly because the first time I got into a group one person had a 99 zidane and 99 lightning in the back row, both with stock soul breaks and super low hones. I had Agrias/Yshtola and my Agrias was the only real dps, we stalled out and someone just s/l'd and the fight ended.

Second time I figured everyone was bringing healers so I retooled and went with Agrias w/BSB and Cid Raines w/BSB and just said gently caress it I'm doing damage. That group ended up taking it out pretty easily.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Mandragora aren't that bad. Sleep, confuse and blind last most of the fight. Combine that with RW Cid Raines and you can drop two and seriously wound the rest. Dispel anyone not status'd

Once 3 are down the fight is more or less finished.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

The mc3 fight on this banner is frankly too lovely for me to even bother with it. I like challenge but come the gently caress on.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah I had a much tougher time with those loving pumpkins than any other U+ fight in recent memory. Once they start doing their ultimate attack spam it's tricky as hell to stay alive.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

It took some doing but I did them with a raines bsb rw, and mustadio's pentabreak + blind/confuse shell and fujin using phantasm for sleep. Nothing seemed to stick for me though. Annoying as hell fight though and I've never enjoyed any iteration of it in FFRK.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Combo posted:

It took some doing but I did them with a raines bsb rw, and mustadio's pentabreak + blind/confuse shell and fujin using phantasm for sleep. Nothing seemed to stick for me though. Annoying as hell fight though and I've never enjoyed any iteration of it in FFRK.

They're not any better in their source game because they're small and fast and you fight them in a loving enormous arena and you only have three dudes to fight with who are constantly getting Confused and Sleep'd and Blinded.

They are an enormous part of why I call FF12 a bastion of poo poo-poor game design. The rest of it is split evenly between the bonus boss and a little gimmick called "Paling".

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

FF12 just has the most miserable boss battles, period. In the most recent FF12 event in Japan (or maybe it was the one before, we just had one and I don't think it was that one), as I was compiling the boss guide I noticed that there were literally two bosses in the entire event (out of about a dozen) who were not omni-resist/null/absorb.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Wow this MC3 fight is some bullshit. I got 40% health remaining on one of the Mandragoras and the fucker silenced my healer, then spammed AoEs for 3 turns. I tried cheesing it with Imperil Holy and holy OSBs but the AoE spam is hard to keep up with if your timing is off or if the wrong person gets slept/stopped.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I am definitely looking forward to when we catch up to the Japanese game. I've really enjoyed running around with the disciplinary committee through this last event, and I'm definitely excited to know Seifer's getting a USB and Fujin's getting an OSB, among other cool toys.

Closer to home, when will we learn more about the anniversary banners? Are they likely to be the same as in Japan, or a complete surprise each day they appear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I am definitely looking forward to when we catch up to the Japanese game. I've really enjoyed running around with the disciplinary committee through this last event, and I'm definitely excited to know Seifer's getting a USB and Fujin's getting an OSB, among other cool toys.

Closer to home, when will we learn more about the anniversary banners? Are they likely to be the same as in Japan, or a complete surprise each day they appear?

They probably won't be the same as Japan, though similar usually. We'll know what they are (all of them at once) a few days before they hit.

• Locked thread