Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

fishmech posted:

We already have a clear place to find if something is copyrighted in the US: ask the United States Copyright Office. They've got all the records for registered works. They'll also tell you if things are in the public domain.

It's not all that clear because you receive copyright protection automatically without registration, and back when you had to register, thanks to a few different federal and state level copyright frameworks over the last century understanding if something fell out of copyright at some point is tough. Add on the wonderful ability to sell copyrights and so embedding copyrights into Byzantine mazes of corporate histories, and you have a recipe for not knowing who owns what. Check out the Happy Birthday fight or orphan works problems.

A flat length for all works, like 30 years, would greatly simplify the problem. Still a complete tangle within that thirty year span, but then we get to drop the technical debt of keeping track of this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Giant Metal Robot posted:

It's not all that clear because you receive copyright protection automatically without registration, and back when you had to register, thanks to a few different federal and state level copyright frameworks over the last century understanding if something fell out of copyright at some point is tough. Add on the wonderful ability to sell copyrights and so embedding copyrights into Byzantine mazes of corporate histories, and you have a recipe for not knowing who owns what. Check out the Happy Birthday fight or orphan works problems.

A flat length for all works, like 30 years, would greatly simplify the problem. Still a complete tangle within that thirty year span, but then we get to drop the technical debt of keeping track of this poo poo.

The Happy Birthday fight was just down to the companies involved lying. Your plan can't fix that, because essentially the Happy Birthday scam the record label had going had a falsely dated work as its basis since otherwise it would have been old enough to have fallen out of copyright long before. And they were up to all that mischief long before modern records and had millions upon millions to throw at bullying people out of court which scared most people off from checking.

Orphaned works are still copyrighted until they expire naturally, again a fixed term rule doesn't fix that. This is pretty much as it should be, since it's not really a problem to violate copyright if there's no holder out there who's going to sue you over it, even though if someone figures out they're the holder they can then go back and at least stop you from doing so for the rest of the term, even when they can't recover previous earnings.

In general if something's known enough that you want to go steal it and publish it yourself, you will find out right quick if someone holds the copyright. Conversely, some random 7th-rate author's dubiously registered story from 1943 that may or may not have been properly renewed is probably not going to get anyone after you, and is also generally irrelevant to the public at large.

Do you got an example of any particular work that people don't know about its public domain status after years of notoriety though?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Hey look, we've accidentally railed this thread again by circling around to the fact that restaurants no longer have to make up idiotic "birthday chants" anymore after the worst copyright troll in history got shot down.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/10/amazon-could-put-whole-foods-in-about-110-old-sears-stores-bmo-says.html

"Space is space" says investment group run by monkeys dropped on their heads repeatedly, "everyone loves to grocery shop in the husks of dying malls"

I get that they're desperate to find some positive in lamprey's complete destruction of a megabrand but

quote:

based on the surrounding demographics of those department stores and the fact that they don’t have another Whole Foods store already within a three-mile radius.
That's not how any of this works. What would even be the point of two whole paychecks within 3 miles of each other? It's not like malls are known for their walkability, sitting in a burning asphalt sea of empty parking.

E:
Not even linking this burning hot take:
Sears’ Sad Legacy: It treated its employees too well

Harik fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 10, 2019

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

My local sears husk would be perfect for a whole foods (and CVS or Walgreens), as the sears opened up next to the downtown area and a transit mall. Yeah, there are two other wholes within 3 miles, but there are no grocery stores in the downtown core besides a grocery outlet.

Or we can gurgle out tired whole paycheck memes like it's 2009.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Harik posted:

What would even be the point of two whole paychecks within 3 miles of each other?

Publix does this in Florida. It works quite well for them. If it's done right it works quite well. They're taking into account commute routes and future housing developments and are willing to eat a loss for a few years. They are also shutting out thier competition, and they are pretty effective at killing rival stores.

Slapping a whole food into a dying mall is something different though, that's probably about property costs. But I guarantee they've done the math. Most of the more sucessful chains (Publix and Trader Joes and good exsmples) have pretty sophisticated store placement models and they work quite well.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

BrandorKP posted:

Publix does this in Florida. It works quite well for them. If it's done right it works quite well. They're taking into account commute routes and future housing developments and are willing to eat a loss for a few years. They are also shutting out thier competition, and they are pretty effective at killing rival stores.

Slapping a whole food into a dying mall is something different though, that's probably about property costs. But I guarantee they've done the math. Most of the more sucessful chains (Publix and Trader Joes and good exsmples) have pretty sophisticated store placement models and they work quite well.

I'm well aware of normal grocery store models, I've got three Publix nearly equidistant to me and which one I go to depends entirely on which way I'm going at the time.

This is different, in that it's a specialty store that doesn't have mass-market appeal. And dying malls aren't optimally placed for residential access.

Zachack posted:

Or we can gurgle out tired whole paycheck memes like it's 2009.
It's not like their prices have come down any since then.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Is 2009 the last time you were in one? Most of what they sell is roughly the same price and of better quality than the local safeways barring ultra-bargain bin stuff that grocery outlet or Trader Joe's already captures. Meat, cheese, and bakery are probably the three "pricey" items but they also pull (partly) from our local bakeries/dairies.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Harik posted:

This is different, in that it's a specialty store that doesn't have mass-market appeal. And dying malls aren't optimally placed for residential access.

Eh it's a thing that's been happening for a while. Near me, Crossroads in Bellevue WA has a grocery anchor. It's one of the ways second tier malls are surviving. I'd guess the grocery chain are getting the space for next to nothing. Grocery store margins are shockingly tight and getting the space cheap would likely make them jump even if the location was sub optimal.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Harik posted:

It's not like their prices have come down any since then.
I thought their store brand stuff was actually pretty reasonably priced?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I assume that Amazon snapping up the mall locations for practically nothing where possible is a big part. Also most contracts for malls and strip malls require there to be some kind of anchor store, so there are lot of reasons to jam a wasteful Whole Foods in a rotten mall husk.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Zachack posted:

Is 2009 the last time you were in one? Most of what they sell is roughly the same price and of better quality than the local safeways barring ultra-bargain bin stuff that grocery outlet or Trader Joe's already captures. Meat, cheese, and bakery are probably the three "pricey" items but they also pull (partly) from our local bakeries/dairies.

Um.

jeff bezos, some rando guy I don't even know why I'm bringing up, thinks their prices are too high and is putting pressure on lowering them, and they keep creeping back higher than competitors.

http://fortune.com/2019/02/12/whole-foods-amazon-price-increase/
https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/09/14/are-whole-foods-prices-really-lower-under-amazon.aspx
https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/2/12/18222200/whole-foods-price-increase-amazon

quote:

At a leadership conference in 2018, Whole Foods CEO John Mackey even admitted that “one reason the merger came about is Whole Foods was in a trap,” referring to the chain’s pricing structure. Whole Foods prices aren’t typically accessible to middle- or low-income families, and reports have found that even when luxury grocery chains open with the intention of serving the impoverished, it can lead to the gentrification of neighborhoods.

But I understand that your anecdotes outweigh my evidence.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
e. ^ I'm at work so I can't find it at the moment, but IIRC there was a recent study where they found that the presence or absence of a Whole Foods in a neighborhood could be used as a fairly reliable indicator of whether a community was economically burdened or not.

I shop at Whole Foods fairly often since it's directly on my way home from work and also next to my local pet store. Whole Foods is great for produce, and really only worth it otherwise if you're looking for local, high quality, or organic/non-gmo stuff. Or if you're afraid of artificial nitrites in bacon, I guess.

• Produce in general is slightly more expensive, but WF's baseline is almost always organic produce. If you compare it to the price of organic produce at say - Lucky's - it's about equal if not sometimes even a bit cheaper at WF.

• General off the shelf items (pasta, canned goods, etc) usually have pretty expensive fancy choices for people who want them at WF, but also basic stuff that hovers around a price point competitive with a standard grocery store. If I go for the same quality of items, on average a cart of off the shelf stuff that would cost me ~$20 at Lucky's will cost me $25-30 at WF.

• Butcher counter stuff is jacked up considerably, even if you don't go for locally ranched grass-fed dry-aged organic ribeyes. I can pick up a pack of 3LB pack of chicken breasts for $10 at Safeway, and sometimes it's on sale all the way down to ~$2.50/lb. The cheapest I've ever seen chicken breasts on sale at Whole Foods for is $7/lb. Buying any fish/meat/etc from WF isn't worth it unless you're splurging on something high end that a Safeway isn't going to stock.

• Alcohol is the same as other grocery stores: generally more expensive than finding a good liquor store unless you're cashing in on a sale for poo poo domestic beer.

• Their deli/food bar is way nicer than anything I've seen at other grocery stores, but it's also pretty expensive. $8-9 for a sandwich, $8/lb for their salad and hot bars, more if you want fancier stuff. A box for lunch plus a drink can easily run you $20.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I like Whole Foods for their deli/hot foods (the one near me has loving awesome pizza and you can get a slice or two of pizza + local craft beer for cheap to sit and eat there) but I already have two or three local markets that have locally sourced meat/produce that usually have awesome prices and I have an employee owned Winco for everything else. I'm not sure what niche Whole Foods in my area is serving other than name recognition.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Sydin posted:

Produce in general is slightly more expensive, but WF's baseline is almost always organic produce. If you compare it to the price of organic produce at say - Lucky's - it's about equal if not sometimes even a bit cheaper at WF.

Try Aldi. Their produce is organic and locally grown and a fraction of the price of WF, or even other stores non "organic" produce.

https://www.aldi.us/en/grocery-goods/fresh-right-now/fresh-produce/organic-locally-grown/

They're viewed as a supermarket for "poors" for whatever reason but gently caress it I'll put a quarter in to unlock the cart and bag my own groceries, I've got kids to feed.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The closest one to me is 161 miles away :(

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Whole Foods is pretty much a giant "gently caress you" to sustainable agriculture so news of their possible expansion is pretty depressing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is Kmart Australia starting to follow the lead of its American counterparts or is the redesign of the last store I went to just really poo poo?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Harik posted:

Try Aldi.

Aldi's the best. We used to feed two for $ 200-300 a month. They aren't everywhere yet unfortunately.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Harik posted:

Try Aldi. Their produce is organic and locally grown and a fraction of the price of WF, or even other stores non "organic" produce.

https://www.aldi.us/en/grocery-goods/fresh-right-now/fresh-produce/organic-locally-grown/

They're viewed as a supermarket for "poors" for whatever reason but gently caress it I'll put a quarter in to unlock the cart and bag my own groceries, I've got kids to feed.

The Aldi near where my mum lives (midwest USA) has a limited product line, but very good prices, surprising quality and isn't as horrible to shop in as a Walmart. They also pay above-average wages, but that's very much damning with fine praise. I will say that some of their frozen food is impressive, even moreso given the low price... their frozen corn tastes off-the-cob fresh and they have chips/fries that are a dead ringer for Arby's at a fraction of the price (they are not curly, however). My take on them is that they have a limited selection and few name-brands, but the quality is remarkably high.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

They were the other Aldi brother. The Germans had two Aldi chains one owned by each brother. Aldi in the US is one and Traders Joes was bought by the other brother. Hence the similarity (and differences) in operations. Now I believe they're back to one German company owning both?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
The WinCo near us is great for basics and is an actual co-op.

Also, gently caress organic food, it’s nothing more than a loving scam.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

The Aldi near where my mum lives (midwest USA) has a limited product line, but very good prices, surprising quality and isn't as horrible to shop in as a Walmart. They also pay above-average wages, but that's very much damning with fine praise. I will say that some of their frozen food is impressive, even moreso given the low price... their frozen corn tastes off-the-cob fresh and they have chips/fries that are a dead ringer for Arby's at a fraction of the price (they are not curly, however). My take on them is that they have a limited selection and few name-brands, but the quality is remarkably high.

It’s also the only supermarket I’ve seen in the US that gives the cashiers a chair.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

The_Franz posted:

It’s also the only supermarket I’ve seen in the US that gives the cashiers a chair.

Oh good grief, this. Something about anglophone countries insists that people working the till stand up even when there is no need and they don't bag anyway.

I genuinely appreciate non-anglophone countries where they don't insist that people doing miserable, low-paid service jobs pretend to give a poo poo. I'm not trying to be culturally cruel, but the whole "you need to smile and wave and be bubbly while working for poverty wages" seems to be uniquely a product of English-speaking nations. Correct me if I"m wrong, please, but I've travelled a fair bit and that is my observation.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

BrandorKP posted:

Now I believe they're back to one German company owning both?

No, they're still separate.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Baronash posted:

Whole Foods is pretty much a giant "gently caress you" to sustainable agriculture so news of their possible expansion is pretty depressing.

Yeah this. It's a shop designed to cater to the rich idiot's idea of healthy sustainable food instead of just selling the most healthy and sustainable food. Which makes financial sense because of :capitalism: but they can still get hosed.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

The WinCo near us is great for basics and is an actual co-op.

Also, gently caress organic food, it’s nothing more than a loving scam.

I used to work at an industrial scale bakery and I too say gently caress organic food, since you have to literally clean the whole line of every speck of flour if you run non-organic into organic bread.

Needless to say that was a friggin pain

entity119
May 13, 2003
Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is Kmart Australia starting to follow the lead of its American counterparts or is the redesign of the last store I went to just really poo poo?

I’d love to know how much stock loss there is with that counter setup. It’s weird, and I think new targets are following suit.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

The_Franz posted:

Wait, in USA the cashiers dont have chairs? What is wrong with you people?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Xarn posted:

a lot.

the "no chairs for cashiers" thing always brings out one person from Europe/Asia who is absolutely agog at the cruelty and dehumanization we visit on the poorest workers in our country, and every time it's just adorable how people in modern nations think the US gives dignity and protection to everyone just because we don't have "stone all the gays and make women chattel baby-vectors" laws.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Xarn posted:

We didn't just drink the kool-aid. We chugged the meritocracy kool-aid and gave ourselves a capitalism kool-aid enema.

Because Reagan, and bootstraps, and lots of racism.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

Xarn posted:

Too busy carrying the rest of the world on our shoulders, of course

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Sydin posted:

e. ^ I'm at work so I can't find it at the moment, but IIRC there was a recent study where they found that the presence or absence of a Whole Foods in a neighborhood could be used as a fairly reliable indicator of whether a community was economically burdened or not.

I shop at Whole Foods fairly often since it's directly on my way home from work and also next to my local pet store. Whole Foods is great for produce, and really only worth it otherwise if you're looking for local, high quality, or organic/non-gmo stuff. Or if you're afraid of artificial nitrites in bacon, I guess.

• Produce in general is slightly more expensive, but WF's baseline is almost always organic produce. If you compare it to the price of organic produce at say - Lucky's - it's about equal if not sometimes even a bit cheaper at WF.

• General off the shelf items (pasta, canned goods, etc) usually have pretty expensive fancy choices for people who want them at WF, but also basic stuff that hovers around a price point competitive with a standard grocery store. If I go for the same quality of items, on average a cart of off the shelf stuff that would cost me ~$20 at Lucky's will cost me $25-30 at WF.

• Butcher counter stuff is jacked up considerably, even if you don't go for locally ranched grass-fed dry-aged organic ribeyes. I can pick up a pack of 3LB pack of chicken breasts for $10 at Safeway, and sometimes it's on sale all the way down to ~$2.50/lb. The cheapest I've ever seen chicken breasts on sale at Whole Foods for is $7/lb. Buying any fish/meat/etc from WF isn't worth it unless you're splurging on something high end that a Safeway isn't going to stock.

• Alcohol is the same as other grocery stores: generally more expensive than finding a good liquor store unless you're cashing in on a sale for poo poo domestic beer.

• Their deli/food bar is way nicer than anything I've seen at other grocery stores, but it's also pretty expensive. $8-9 for a sandwich, $8/lb for their salad and hot bars, more if you want fancier stuff. A box for lunch plus a drink can easily run you $20.

25-50% more expensive is competitive for you?

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

Oh good grief, this. Something about anglophone countries insists that people working the till stand up even when there is no need and they don't bag anyway.

I genuinely appreciate non-anglophone countries where they don't insist that people doing miserable, low-paid service jobs pretend to give a poo poo. I'm not trying to be culturally cruel, but the whole "you need to smile and wave and be bubbly while working for poverty wages" seems to be uniquely a product of English-speaking nations. Correct me if I"m wrong, please, but I've travelled a fair bit and that is my observation.

David Mitchell agrees: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9PSg0sQyfs

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Easy Diff posted:

we don't have "stone all the gays and make women chattel baby-vectors" laws.

Even I know that this should be qualified with "yet".

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Virtually every retail store owner/franchisee in the US is consumed by a seething, visceral, apoplectic rage when they see an employee sitting down. They're not loving paying you the least amount of money legally allowed to sit on your rear end and do nothing YOU BETTER FIND SOMETHING TO STOCK/STRAIGHTEN/CLEAN. It's ingrained in their psyche, they feel like you're bilking them out of that minimum wage and their only recourse is righteous fury, lest complacency set in and the millennials cause everything they've ever worked for to unravel. When they were your age they started this business, and you can't even stand at the register for the duration of your shift. Pathetic.

Retail was some of the most difficult work I've ever done. Logistics, tax paperwork, coordinating schedules, handling the day to day issues of two locations running on a skeleton crew, maintaining the ancient humidifiers (cigar shop) and being ever-vigilant for mold or tobacco beetles, not to mention customer service and the psychological trauma of dealing with insane human beings, including the increasingly senile owner. Worst paid and hardest work I've ever done. Industrial manufacturing is a cakewalk in comparison.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I will never work any job as hard and thanklessly as minimum wage positions in the US.

Honestly, and Im not making this story up I swear to god here, after your management makes you tell nuns and the busload of orphans they brought to the amusement park that they wont be able to come in due to trying to pay via credit card without signature theres really no way any office job can be worse unless you plan lots of one-way rail car trips for passengers

Barudak fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 11, 2019

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I did for a long time and it’s the hardest I’ve worked in my life and it’s soul sucking. Especially to the older people that have been doing it for years. How hosed up is it that someone working for 20 years makes less than a new hire because they either hit their raise cap or have only gotten 10 cent raise a year?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

I did for a long time and it’s the hardest I’ve worked in my life and it’s soul sucking. Especially to the older people that have been doing it for years. How hosed up is it that someone working for 20 years makes less than a new hire because they either hit their raise cap or have only gotten 10 cent raise a year?

My dad has about 40 + years experience in grocery retail. His presence in a liquor store raises sales by about 30%, which is loving huge. He could quit in Florida and work as a brand new hire in the PNW and have a higher hourly. It's tremendously hosed up.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

My dad has about 40 + years experience in grocery retail. His presence in a liquor store raises sales by about 30%

After working 40+ years in grocery, I'd account for ~30% of my liquor store's sales too. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It is very handy that he knows when the good scotch and bourbon is getting marked down.