Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

GWM: take all those free horses

to the slaughterhouse yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Hoodwinker posted:

Just pretend I do all the work of quoting individual words from vastly different sections of the Bible so it says, "Make America Great Again," like a letter compiled from magazine scraps sent by a kidnapper asking for ransom.

Yeah, this could definitely be a T-shirt

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hoodwinker posted:

You can't pull that out and leave out literally the next line:

and the line after that?

quote:

“Leave her alone,” Jesus replied. “It was intended that she should save this perfume for the day of my burial. 8 You will always have the poor among you,[c] but you will not always have me.”

poo poo, Jesus was a republican afterall.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1eNW7GG_Q8

BURY ME WITH MY PERFUME

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Yeah Hooo!

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

You'll make more money in two weeks working at McDonald's than you'll earn in a year from an MLM. Also Payless sells non-slip black shoes for like, $10.

That would not be my first choice of emoji for this post

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Did they just compare "business" to lottery?

:psyduck:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Suspicious Lump posted:

Well considering they don't loving understand how to effective convert their time into money I would say it's probably because they don't understand the underlying factors that play into financial success.

tl;dr they dumb

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

#fraudalert

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Youth Decay posted:

You'll make more money in two weeks working at McDonald's than you'll earn in a year from an MLM. Also Payless sells non-slip black shoes for like, $10.

"You have to pay for specific, reasonable things necessary for the work(and that can be used for different employers if you change jobs), which is exactly like paying money for nothing just to join an MLM, because"

Ashcans posted:

Doug Verstraete, manager of Beaver Hill Auctions, said the price of loose horses averaged 55 to 60 cents a pound, but some prices reached as high as 70 cents per lb.
The Bad With Money Thread: Loose horses

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Loose horses, no longer in original packaging but in good condition

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Papa John Misty posted:

GWM: take all those free horses

to the slaughterhouse yourself

Yeah, with that $60,000 truck and $30,000 trailer you bought on a 22% interest loan, oh wait, poo poo.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Lump posted:

The amount of mental gymnastics that people do to legitimize MLM schemes can be downright scary. An acquiantance approached me about a Primerica/World Financial type scheme, and I told him that it sounds like a badly-veiled pyramid scheme. His response?

"Well, if you think about it every large company out there is pyramid-shaped. You have the CEO at the top and a bunch of people beneath him."

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

melon cat posted:

"Well, if you think about it every large company out there is pyramid-shaped. You have the CEO at the top and a bunch of people beneath him."

I saw an advertisement featuring that slogan on the bulletin board of a laundromat a few months ago

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I wanted this for two thread titles ago, but better late than never. Courtesy of forums user Harveygod because I can't edit photos for poo poo.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

melon cat posted:

The amount of mental gymnastics that people do to legitimize MLM schemes can be downright scary. An acquiantance approached me about a Primerica/World Financial type scheme, and I told him that it sounds like a badly-veiled pyramid scheme. His response?

I love going to my corporate job that I and 99.5% of my fellow employees pay to work for

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

VitalSigns posted:

I love going to my corporate job that I and 99.5% of my fellow employees pay to work for

And your district manager loves working there while 3 steps up the main line chain and still makes under $10,000 a year.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

melon cat posted:

Even a stopped clock is right every once in a while.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

melon cat posted:

poo poo

He's right

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Teeter posted:

Is this GWM? There's no such thing as a free horse.

If any of you in AZ want a horse (or 50 of them) here's your guy.

About four years ago, someone I knew tangentially was in the same situation. They just suddenly inherited about sixty trained race horses with decent records that they had zero interest keeping and just wanted to give away. My mom was living on a farm a few states over and wanted horses anyway, but said it was too much of a pain to rent a trailer. I'm still a little mad over not getting a free horse. We could have at least sold it, my friend trains race horses and said they were worth about 20k each.

Anyway, on a different note, I had a conversation the other day with a co-worker that reminded me of this thread. He said his wife wanted a dog and even though he really didn't want one he went out and got one for her. Via lease. For 1800$. On a dog that doesn't have any shots or been neutered. I told him he was an idiot and he just kept saying he got a crate in the bargain so it was totally worth it. When I mentioned that dog repo men are a thing he just ignored it and kept saying it was a good deal and he wasn't going to miss a payment.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Does he know they give dogs away at the shelter?

Also, holy poo poo, how on earth could it possibly be too much of a hassle to get a few horses to sell for potentially 6 figures?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I mean, shelter pets aren't free, but they're still a hell of a lot cheaper than $1800.

Although with that price tag I'm assumign he got a purebred dog.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
It is a real stretch to imply buying non-slip shoes to work some 9-5 job is some kind of burden. Hell, for most people the peace of mind of having a job where they know exactly how much they'll take home every two weeks+benefits far exceeds the nebulous concept of 'working from home'.

They also conveniently take for granted the fact that there are decent jobs out there that give you a uniform allowance, designating money every year to cover your uniform, shoes, and other necessary safety equipment. Mechanics in a lot of places get an annualTool Allowance to buy whatever tools they might need.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Panfilo posted:

It is a real stretch to imply buying non-slip shoes to work some 9-5 job is some kind of burden. Hell, for most people the peace of mind of having a job where they know exactly how much they'll take home every two weeks+benefits far exceeds the nebulous concept of 'working from home'.

They also conveniently take for granted the fact that there are decent jobs out there that give you a uniform allowance, designating money every year to cover your uniform, shoes, and other necessary safety equipment. Mechanics in a lot of places get an annualTool Allowance to buy whatever tools they might need.

I haven't seen a tool allowance on someone's check that comes close to touching what those guys (and sometimes gals) spend on tools but it also pays better than minimum wage. Decent factories around where live have a shoe allowance each year and usually Reswing or someone sends a van out to the shop to get people kitted out when the new allowance money is coming out. And yeah, usually people need a decent set of shoes anyway and it is only a little more for non slip.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Haifisch posted:

I mean, shelter pets aren't free, but they're still a hell of a lot cheaper than $1800.

Although with that price tag I'm assumign he got a purebred dog.

Yea, it was a pure bred Yorkie if I remember right. All those tiny little yappers look the same to me, and he just showed me a picture. Still, to go from not wanting a dog to 1800$ in debt (not including vet stuff) is just insane for me.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
More Reddit BWM:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7pjt6k/trying_to_decide_if_its_better_to_stay_in/?st=JCAIAZ8E&sh=9d3b40b5

quote:

Trying to decide if it's better to stay in California and continue renting with roommates or leave and get my own place out of state. Tricky details inside.

Currently 39 years old, living in Glendale CA. I work mainly in the gig economy (Instacart driver) and make about $35K gross, $31K net. About $1900 in savings, my only debt is a car loan for about $5K, but last year's taxes are looming and are probably going to hit me for about $3500-$4000 (yes I know I should be filing quarterly, but I only recently got out of CC debt and wasn't putting money away as a result).

Here's the predicament.

I've been sharing a 3-bedroom apartment with 4 roommates since 2010 (the 4th roommate came on in 2011). My share of the rent is currently $575/mo, but the lease is up in April and will likely surge to about $775/mo given that one of the roommates has recently moved out. (He's still paying his current share of the lease over here though, so no worries there.)

All of us moved in together because we were all hoping to find work in the television business. Two roommates have succeeded in doing so (including the one who just moved out). The other two not only haven't gotten anywhere, but one of them has stopped looking altogether and the other is in such bad health and has so little motivation that it's unlikely he'll get anywhere, plus he's 42 y.o. already. I'm kind of in the middle - I've been told that I've been looked at for researcher positions and things of the sort, but no job offers. 2017 was meant to be my "poo poo or get off the pot" year, and nothing came of it.

I've been looking at potentially moving out of state to get away from the nosebleed cost of living I've been dealing with out here for so long. It feels like if you don't work in show business or otherwise have an actual career, there's no reason to live in LA or its vicinity.

With just a little bit of searching I was able to find a 1-bedroom apartment for about $600 in places like Reno and Vegas. Instacart serves both areas, so getting transferred over shouldn't be too difficult (although I want to make it clear that this is not what I consider a career and would want to find gainful employment once I relocate).

I'm having a hard time making a decision here because A) I've wanted to work in TV my whole life and moving away would essentially be forfeiting a dream; B) I don't really have any job experience outside the gig economy so I'm unsure if I can find work better than what I have; C) I'll be alone for the first time ever and I'm worried what solitude will do to me; and D) I don't know if the finances are there unless I sell my car or do something else similarly drastic. I have a retro video game collection that's probably worth about $1000 but that's pretty much it in terms of assets. The tax bill is especially oppressive - it took me until September to pay it off last year (again, didn't pay quarterly)

I could definitely use some outside perspective here to see what the best course of action here is. One of the roommates who's been more successful wants to move closer to Hollywood proper, but rent is close to $2000 for a 2-bedroom unit there and I know that devoting that much of my income to rent is a disaster waiting to happen. The other option is the remaining four of us re-up for another year, but again paying $775 for my own bedroom when I might be able to get my own place for less seems silly. (For the record, we get along just fine; I think we've had two actual fights in the seven years we've lived together.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There's much to enjoy here. I particularly like the implication that 42-year-old roommate is too old to make it in television, yet 39-year-old OP doesn't want to forfeit his/her dreams.

Chocolate Milk fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 11, 2018

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
goddamn 575 a month is living the dream around here. Glendale can be sketchy af but could be worse.

I know a guy who moved out here for voice acting and he was telling me that he is living with a customer he met while bartending elsewhere (place that's stealing his tips!!!) who is putting him up in his shared room and also the dude is seeing 2 girls on the side who don't know about each other. Yeah

Forget what he pays but it's more than 575 that's for sure

feller
Jul 5, 2006

therobit posted:

And yeah, usually people need a decent set of shoes anyway and it is only a little more for non slip.

You really do not want to wear shoes you've worn in restaurant kitchens to basically anywhere else.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Chocolate Milk posted:

More Reddit BWM:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7pjt6k/trying_to_decide_if_its_better_to_stay_in/?st=JCAIAZ8E&sh=9d3b40b5

There's much to enjoy here. I particularly like the implication that 42-year-old roommate is too old to make it in television, yet 39-year-old OP doesn't want to forfeit his/her dreams.

I mean he said 2017 was his "poo poo or get off the pot year" and he failed. Really he needed to move on 10 years ago (ain't no 30 year old retro videogame collector getting hired anywhere in Hollywood), but at least he know he has failed. I wouldn't suggest anyone move to Reno or Vegas but maybe he has family in the area or something. Why not move to some burned down rust belt city, rent a room for dirt cheap, and try to find work there?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Elysium posted:

Yeah, with that $60,000 truck and $30,000 trailer you bought on a 22% interest loan, oh wait, poo poo.

You can take them one at a time in a $1000 pickup if you kill them first. GWM. Or just rent a uhaul and pack it full.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
They're horses. You ride them, damnit!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Senor Dog posted:

You really do not want to wear shoes you've worn in restaurant kitchens to basically anywhere else.
If you're wearing your work shoes half the time your non-work shoes will last longer, so it's not like you're just throwing the money away. Unless you have the option to work from home in your socks or something.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

They're horses. You ride them, damnit!

Ride one, lead the rest on a string, rotating as needed!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Drunk Tomato posted:

Why not move to some burned down rust belt city, rent a room for dirt cheap, and try to find work there?

There's no work there - that's why the rents are dirt cheap.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

FrozenVent posted:

There's no work there - that's why the rents are dirt cheap.
Indeed. At best you might find work at whatever factories or resource production(mining, logging, etc) jobs remain, but there's stiff competition from the locals and you can't exactly rely on those jobs sticking around forever. You also have to face the town slowly withering away as the younger generations GTFO the instant they're able. That doesn't do the local economy any favors either.

It might be doable if you're in a line of work you can do remotely, but a)that OP isn't(and their current gig economy stuff is something that scales down horribly once you're outside of a big city & its suburbs), and b)jobs that you can do remotely generally pay enough that you don't have to live in a dying rust belt town.

But realistically, that OP getting out of SoCal and into any area with a sane rental/housing market would do wonders.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 11, 2018

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Chocolate Milk posted:

More Reddit BWM:

It's kind of weird because age doesn't make any difference for film or TV work anyway. He's not working in TV because he's putting no effort into it. I have a few friends that have dreams to create films but don't want to deal with their addictions or put any effort in whatsoever. No surprises when it doesn't work out.

Tales Of Desire
Nov 5, 2009
From one of that guy's replies:

quote:

Problem is, the area I'm trying to find work - namely game shows - is such a small niche nowadays that the few shows that are out there hire up before I ever catch wind of it. I've been told that I'm at "back of the Rolodex" status for one particular show, and just learned that it's been renewed for multiple seasons, so if there's ever going to be an opportunity here then that's probably it. Otherwise, it might be best for me to just move on and go somewhere else. Better to give it up than hold on to false hope.

...game shows?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Tales Of Desire posted:

From one of that guy's replies:

...game shows?

Lol I bet he just wants to go on Jeopardy and be the next Ken Jennings

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Drunk Tomato posted:

Lol I bet he just wants to go on Jeopardy and be the next Ken Jennings

Yet the way to get into any role is to be available for anything. He should have been networking by helping on as many film projects as possible, not trying to avoid having anything to do with film or TV.

There's a bit prior to the quote above.

quote:

That's the thing: I know I'm right at the cusp of getting work. I've been doing a lot of the things you've suggested: going to tapings, meeting people in the business and getting friendly with them, stressing a desire to break into the industry.

He's not doing anything except trying to get in front of the camera. If he really wanted to get in there are a lot of positions that aren't in front of the camera that would give valuable connections and opportunities. I've seen a lot of people make the same mistake.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
He's like those people who want to be a top chef, but don't want to endure the gruntwork of working at someone else's restaurant(especially if they have to do non-cooking work at first). Sorry, it doesn't work that way unless you're a savant and have family willing and able to bankroll you indefinitely.