Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I know from context that the robot lady is one of the current bodies of Lucrezia, the Other, still hoping to claim Agatha's body as a suitable vessel so she might live again and become one of these mysterious superpowered Queens (or something more). I don't recall at all if Rat Doctor is anyone from earlier, but the point of today's comic is that there is more than just dissent in Lucrezia's ranks, there is actual treachery - Rat Doctor mentions getting the aid of what I'm assuming from context is one of the Geister (weird all-white women) priestesses to prevent Lucrezia's body-jacking abilities, and Lucrezia is so used to having control either through wasps or manipulation that she's being outplayed now by not just the heroes but her own followers.

That said, I am going to completely forget so many of these people mid-way through the next arc. I'm already bad at remembering specific characters and there are so many in this dang series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Rat Doctor seems to have been a university "friend" of Lucrezia, twenty/twenty-five years ago. Two sparks who were in the same sorority, back when they were more "normal".

Rat Doctor has been commenting on how much Lucrezia has changed since the college days, unaware of how many millennia have passed from Lucrezia's point of view.

We've previously heard mention that Lucrezia doesn't think the water will help or hinder her robot body, so this little moment of triumph may be short lived.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

plainswalker75 posted:

Thanks, I guess that makes sense; I suspected that the robot was Lucrezia (though I thought there was a flesh-and-blood "prime" copy running around somewhere, so I wasn't sure), but her interactions with the scientist made me think that the body she's in belonged to someone else that the scientist had a preexisting relationship with and that's why it was a reveal that she knew it was Lucrezia all along.

It's unclear what happened to the original Lucrezia, but the ones we've been seeing in the comic were her consciousness somehow embodied in the present through the use of a "summoning engine", first Agatha got a copy of Lucrezia stuck in her head, then Tarvek put another copy into his robot sister Anevka. The current batch of characters are some rogue scientists and traitors from England serving robo-Lucrezia (although of course, they've always had their own motivations for following her because they're more ambitious than simple minions).

A little while back, Agatha finally ripped Lucrezia out of her head, but during a big fight where Lucrezia, in Agatha's body, somehow briefly became one of the godlike queens with some trick that only works with an organic form and involves the use of that weird flame that also powers the mirrors. Robot-Lucrezia saw only part of that and is expecting Lucrezia-Agatha to catch up with her eventually, but she decided she wanted to become a god-queen sooner rather than later, which would require her to download herself into another organic body to take over, which is what she tried to do to the birdbeak scientist. Only apparently the birdbeak scientist, as a longterm acolyte of Lucrezia's work, found a way around Lucrezia's posession technique. This is the second time we've seen somebody get around Lucrezia's possession technique, Zola also managed it earlier in order to capture a copy of Lucrezia's mind in her mind. The Loremistress was also previously mentioned before, as a priestess of the Geisterdamens (Lucrezia's cult of spider-riding albino ladies) who apparently betrayed the rest of Lucrezia's cult and gave away a lot of secrets.

Also the people who have been working for Lucrezia up to this point are:
  • The masked scientist Monahan, who studied Lucrezia's work and has some kind of rat fixation. Her current motivation is to stay alive and intact as herself.
  • Four-armed Marge Lady Steelgarter, who wants to unlock the secrets of Skifander for some purpose.
  • Lord Moonbark Hippocrates Brunel, some pith hat guy who is scheming against Queen Albia and stayed behind at the museum
  • Madwa, the rogue Smoke Knight who stayed loyal to Lucrezia when the Knights of Jove gave up on her. Killed by Violetta.
  • The aggressively apathetic airship captain that took them to the island, no questions asked. Somehow revealed to be Bangledash Dupree's deadbeat dad. Which I guess it takes a special dedication to being a deadbeat to leave a pirate queen to be a professional castaway
And to add even more confusion, Agatha's tiny castle and train clanks are responsible for fixing the corrupted goop to become a flame capable of supporting a queen and a teleportation mirror and Bangledash Dupree is sworn to revenge on Zeetha at some point, no idea when that'll come back into relevance again. I wouldn't be surprised if Doctor Rakethorn had secret orders from the Queen too. It's a wild and crazy comic.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

SlothfulCobra posted:

Dupree is sworn to revenge on Zeetha at some point

I don't think DuPree has found out yet that Zeetha is the one she's sworn vengeance on, has she?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

You should never care about Girl Genius

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't think DuPree has found out yet that Zeetha is the one she's sworn vengeance on, has she?

She has not, nor has Zeetha discovered that DuPree is the one whose pirates kidnapped her in the first place, leading to her spending the entire comic trying to find her way back to Skifander.

They have, however, fought each other on friendly terms and determined that they were more or less equally matched, so the comic is really setting that up.

Also, the Baron (Klaus Wulfenbach) thought that anyone from Skifander would be sent to kill his son Gil, who is probably Zeetha's brother. So it's probable that Bangladesh, who is genuinely devoted to Gil's wellbeing, is going to get in a fight with Zeetha which is going to result in Gil thinking she's here to kill him specifically, probably.

This comic is a soap opera but I enjoy it.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Synthbuttrange posted:

is this... just like general life advice?

More like passive aggressively bitching about QC. :v:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

She has not, nor has Zeetha discovered that DuPree is the one whose pirates kidnapped her in the first place, leading to her spending the entire comic trying to find her way back to Skifander.

They have, however, fought each other on friendly terms and determined that they were more or less equally matched, so the comic is really setting that up.

Also, the Baron (Klaus Wulfenbach) thought that anyone from Skifander would be sent to kill his son Gil, who is probably Zeetha's brother. So it's probable that Bangladesh, who is genuinely devoted to Gil's wellbeing, is going to get in a fight with Zeetha which is going to result in Gil thinking she's here to kill him specifically, probably.

This comic is a soap opera but I enjoy it.

Nah, a guy told Bang about Zeetha, but Agatha scared Bang from pursuing anything directly after she gave a playful little stab to Tarvek. Zeetha doesn't know anything though.

There's a whole spaghetti web of interrelationships in the comic that it can be hard to keep track of at times. Gil also thinks of Bang as his sister from how she was a constant in his life around his age. I wouldn't even be surprised if there's some plan for Violetta to fight Bang at some point, because some parts of the comic were planned a long time ago, back when pirates vs. ninjas was a big thing on the internet.

Scaramouche posted:

You should never care about Girl Genius

It's fun.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 24, 2022

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
4 armed lady was on the wrong side of a religious schism back in Skifander. Now traveling the world to find a way to get revenge for their not so nice goddess, according to Zeetha.

And yep, no pretensions that Girl Genius is anything but an old timey pulp story. Literally a Heterodyne story, in the comic's vernacular.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

habituallyred posted:

4 armed lady was on the wrong side of a religious schism back in Skifander. Now traveling the world to find a way to get revenge for their not so nice goddess, according to Zeetha.

And yep, no pretensions that Girl Genius is anything but an old timey pulp story. Literally a Heterodyne story, in the comic's vernacular.

...huh you're totally right, that's totally the case. I missed the implication.

thenakedflip
Feb 22, 2005
Was hoping someone would know, I remember reading a webcomic for awhile, where the main hero like dies in the first strip or two, then comes back as like a zombie? This was like quite awhile ago too. Hero had blonde hair and ended up with greenish/blue skin, was like a fantasy based strip. It popped into my head the other day and I'm going crazy trying to remember the name.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

The premise sounds a lot like Darken (although Gort is definitely not a hero):
https://darkencomic.com/
By the same author as Widdershins.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate
Aspects of it seems like It Hurts, but its probably not that either

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Sounds kind of like Unlife although the details don't match up 100%.

thenakedflip
Feb 22, 2005
Hmm, I appreciate the suggestions, it was a more light hearted strip. The main character was a well meaning idiot I believe? I want to say it would have been mid 2000s? I've been on a Google binge trying to get some clue as to the name.

Art style was definitely more cartoon, I remember it having bold thick lines.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So in the most recent Emmy the Robot strip, we see a good example of the series use of anachronistic technology, when our robotic heroine has to use a payphone.

I've also been following a new comic on Webtoons, Griz Grobus by Simon Roy and Jess Pollard. It's only just started but it seems to involve a robotic priest who wants the town to go back to exclusively eating the nutritious but bland Grobus root. I like the artwork by Roy with colors by Sergey Nazarov.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

thenakedflip posted:

Was hoping someone would know, I remember reading a webcomic for awhile, where the main hero like dies in the first strip or two, then comes back as like a zombie? This was like quite awhile ago too. Hero had blonde hair and ended up with greenish/blue skin, was like a fantasy based strip. It popped into my head the other day and I'm going crazy trying to remember the name.

thenakedflip posted:

Hmm, I appreciate the suggestions, it was a more light hearted strip. The main character was a well meaning idiot I believe? I want to say it would have been mid 2000s? I've been on a Google binge trying to get some clue as to the name.

Art style was definitely more cartoon, I remember it having bold thick lines.

I know exactly what comic you're talking about, but I can't remember what it was a called, nor am I having any luck finding it.

thenakedflip
Feb 22, 2005

Emrikol posted:

I know exactly what comic you're talking about, but I can't remember what it was a called, nor am I having any luck finding it.

I was able to finally track the dang thing down. The name was Atland. The original website is no longer up, just redirects to spam pages. Was by Nate Piekos. It's a shame, I wanted to really go down the nostalgia hole but seems like that might not be an option anymore. If I find an archive anywhere I'll edit this post.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
I knew it was by somebody of some importance, but I didn't know it was by the guy who runs Blambot, the font site.

Emrikol fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 28, 2022

Plankhandles
Oct 11, 2012

thenakedflip posted:

I was able to finally track the dang thing down. The name was Atland. The original website is no longer up, just redirects to spam pages. Was by Nate Piekos. It's a shame, I wanted to really go down the nostalgia hole but seems like that might not be an option anymore. If I find an archive anywhere I'll edit this post.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

Oh man, I used to LOVE this comic! There’s one stupid little joke from it that still runs through my mind. The fairy dude got drunk one time and woke up in a stupor, saying “Someone crapped my pants.”

Sad to hear the site’s no longer functional. Unfortunately I was combing through the goon-made comics linked on the first page of this thread and about half of them are spambot virus central these days. Webcomics should be immortal (even and especially the lovely ones) and that’s all there is to it.

ZnCu
Jul 2, 2007

Eat Sword?

Plankhandles posted:

Sad to hear the site’s no longer functional. Unfortunately I was combing through the goon-made comics linked on the first page of this thread and about half of them are spambot virus central these days. Webcomics should be immortal (even and especially the lovely ones) and that’s all there is to it.

I feel like one of the upsides of sites like Webtoons and Tapas is that they’re more likely to keep the content available for a long, long time, rather than personal sites which take a little time and money from the creator every year.

thenakedflip
Feb 22, 2005

Plankhandles posted:

Oh man, I used to LOVE this comic! There’s one stupid little joke from it that still runs through my mind. The fairy dude got drunk one time and woke up in a stupor, saying “Someone crapped my pants.”

This is hilarious! Luckily it seems like just about everything is available on the way back machine. I'm thinking of saving them all just in case.

Plankhandles
Oct 11, 2012

thenakedflip posted:

This is hilarious! Luckily it seems like just about everything is available on the way back machine. I'm thinking of saving them all just in case.

:classiclol: There it is! Aw man, this brought a smile to my face. I'm going to have to get the wayback machine fired up and check out what's still archived.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hey webcomic thread, remember the question of webcomics making it to the big screen?

https://twitter.com/Gingerhazing/status/1513517319841935363

Kinda wish they had figured out how do a style without sclera, but the original artstyle was never gonna fly in 3D.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hey webcomic thread, remember the question of webcomics making it to the big screen?

https://twitter.com/Gingerhazing/status/1513517319841935363

Kinda wish they had figured out how do a style without sclera, but the original artstyle was never gonna fly in 3D.

AAHHH they revived it!!!!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

AAHHH they revived it!!!!

Disney wasn't going to let it fly for (spoilery) reasons, but Netflix bought it.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Every once in a while I think back on all the webcomics I used to read and check the website to see if they're still around to see some of it again, and so it was today that I learned that Misfile is still going. :psyduck:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Every once in a while I think back on all the webcomics I used to read and check the website to see if they're still around to see some of it again, and so it was today that I learned that Misfile is still going. :psyduck:

Did it reboot or something? I coule have sworn I've seen discussion here about it reaching a conclusion before. Maybe I'm just misremembering though.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

:psyboom:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Apparently the main story concluded in 2019 (which is still insane, considering it started in 2005) and is now on some side story. But god drat, there's still a new strip every single weekday. I was about to say I can't imagine there's much money in this anymore and how the author is still doing this, but then I looked at his Patreon. $555 (as of posting this) per page upload, which averages to $11k a month before chargebacks/fees/etc. :stare:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It kind of isn't. It ended three years ago, and started a new comic on the same website officially titled "Hell High". The premise is that it's these kids who were borne in hell some teenage amount of years ago when the cosmic forces of the universe glitched out (presumably from the events of Misfile) and the damned souls of hell temporarily could have kids. They go to school to have the chance to go to the real world since as innocent souls, they don't deserve to go to hell. And then some demons go to the school to for whatever reason and the main character is some kind of amnesiac who is part angel and part demon and has a marshmallowy creature representing the junk data from obliterated souls that she wears as a hat.

Not very good, but it's somethin'. And there isn't a car in sight.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

And there isn't a car in sight.

hah, nice one you really had me going for a while

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's fascinating the Misfile creator's art skills haven't even progressed a smidge. Still drawing people in perfect profile.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So I'm running low on Webcomics content. Gunnerkrigg is going off the rails, Prequel's been dead for over a year now, Paranatural has made the pivot to light novel and for some reason 'Dumbing of Age' is still somehow going.

I looked at the OP but the recommends are kinda outdated. What's the recommends in the thread? Right now on my daily rotation I have:

Sleepless Domain
Demon Street (Nearing the end)
Mystery Babylon
Latchkey Kingdom
Gunnerkrigg Court
Atomic Robo
My Delirium Alcazar
Empowered
Others I shall not name for :nws: reasons.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kill Six Billion Demons (just resumed)
Clown Corps
Awkward Zombie
Oglaf (nsfw)

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Nancy and Wilde Life are good.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Anyone not reading Tiger Tiger is doing themselves a disservice

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Starhammer is one of my faves.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

If you can stand linetoon format My Giant Nerd Boyfriend and Let's Play are pretty OK in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Unsounded is as uplifting and encouraging as it always has been. It has a lovely backlog.