Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blood Boils posted:

The small death that brings total obliteration: that Brian is genuine here and you share his tastes lol

I will face my fear… so long as it does not involve reading any Brian/Kevin books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

hobbesmaster posted:

I will face my fear… so long as it does not involve reading any Brian/Kevin books

Aw, what's wrong with homogenized laser robot slurry poured ceaselessly into the crevices of Frank's narratives?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

https://x.com/duneauthor/status/1761238982590173243?s=46

https://x.com/thekja/status/1764679151468908916?s=46

Now, I assume by best he of course means “increased my bank account the most”. I DO NOT AT ALL look forward to more fanfics.

But you're suppose to cry like a giant goddamned baby because it doesn't match the source material 100%. Has he learned nothing from the Tolkien family?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

That’s just Christopher. The rest of the family was happy to sell the appendices off to the highest bidder.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Chemtrailologist posted:

But you're suppose to cry like a giant goddamned baby because it doesn't match the source material 100%. Has he learned nothing from the Tolkien family?

Now that you mention it, one of my few gripes with DUNC 2 is that it leaves out a fair part of the ecology of the novel, particularly the connection between spice and worms. They kind of just show that worms make blue spice liquid in the movie but it's just there to look cool. "I'm gonna nuke the spice fields if my demands aren't met" doesn't carry nearly the gravitas of "I figured out how to kill every worm on this planet in one fell swoop based on how their biology interacts with spice, obey me or spice will cease to exist". The SyFy miniseries has a good crazed monologue by Paul where he threatens this.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

C-Euro posted:

Now that you mention it, one of my few gripes with DUNC 2 is that it leaves out a fair part of the ecology of the novel, particularly the connection between spice and worms. They kind of just show that worms make blue spice liquid in the movie but it's just there to look cool. "I'm gonna nuke the spice fields if my demands aren't met" doesn't carry nearly the gravitas of "I figured out how to kill every worm on this planet in one fell swoop based on how their biology interacts with spice, obey me or spice will cease to exist". The SyFy miniseries has a good crazed monologue by Paul where he threatens this.

My entire problem with the second film, too. "Do as I say or I'll nuke the spice" is a dumbass idea I'd expect out of Michael Bay's DUNE, not Denis Villeneuve's.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
:shrug: to me "Yeah turns out there's One Weird Trick to make the worms all self-destruct each other in a chain reaction" is dumb and "The spice will be radioactive now" makes sense

"There's an ecology theme though" only covers for so much and for me, the One Weird Trick doesn't meet that threshhold

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah the ecology stuff in the book was good as an overarching theme but when Frank got granular with it it became very stupid and handwavey. Maybe partially because I'm a biologist rather than a physicist, but those were the bits I was reading with a raised eyebrow

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Given DUNC 2 played up Paul regressing to the ways of empire, nuking the hell out of the spice is something simple and direct that plays into that theme without needing much explanation. The weird ecology of the sandworms and spice is cool but it's also fair for the angle they were taking to not spend time explaining that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah the chain reaction spice doom doesn't make much sense in retrospect.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah the ecology stuff in the book was good as an overarching theme but when Frank got granular with it it became very stupid and handwavey. Maybe partially because I'm a biologist rather than a physicist, but those were the bits I was reading with a raised eyebrow

To be slightly fair to Frank a bunch of fundamental stuff in molecular biology was published after Dune was written so even his best “grounding” to extrapolate from as an author would look completely wrong.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I like the chain reaction thing not because it's "more grounded" or anything but because it's something that would not have occurred to anyone who didn't try to fully grasp the lifecycle of the spice and the worms and come to a holistic understanding of the planet's ecology.

Any dipshit can ruin something by nuking it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah. Paul is a dipshit imo

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

hailthefish posted:

-Bene Gesserit axiom

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

CelticPredator posted:

I think he meant in the sense that if it was so easy to hold the totality of spice hostage as simply saying “stop or I’ll shoot” (every house has nukes after all) someone would have tried that stunt centuries ago, and Arrakis would basically have to already be the seat of imperial power, because no emperor could allow a nuclear armed great house to be holding a knife to the throat of the empire. Dune is a brutal enough universe, bordering on grimdark sometimes, that the ruling class would totally be fine with forcing their serfs to mine spice like they’re the cleanup crew on the roof of Chernobyl. The Water of Life chain reaction on the other hand is something that no one could even know was possible without knowing all about the Spice Cycle and Worms, like a Fremen, while also knowing how imperial politics functions and how spice underpins it, like a noble of a great house. Hence Paul who is both is uniquely able to both figure out the reaction and how to effectively use it as a threat.
Now as for why the Spacing Guild or any other institution wholly dependent upon spice never in ten thousand years bothered to learn about the thing that’s they need to maintain their power, ehhhhh.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

hailthefish posted:

I like the chain reaction thing not because it's "more grounded" or anything but because it's something that would not have occurred to anyone who didn't try to fully grasp the lifecycle of the spice and the worms and come to a holistic understanding of the planet's ecology.

Ehhh, the point is more that in the universe, no one with any sort of power would consider destroying the spice, by whatever means, because everyone relies on it so heavily and everyone has such a blinkered view of the political landscape. The actual "how" the spice might be threatened isn't really that important in the end. I think it's more or less equally effective in the film.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

CelticPredator posted:

The couple people that I know who lost their dad young all turned into dipshits/trainwrecks so yeah that's realistic.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Ehhh, the point is more that in the universe, no one with any sort of power would consider destroying the spice, by whatever means, because everyone relies on it so heavily and everyone has such a blinkered view of the political landscape. The actual "how" the spice might be threatened isn't really that important in the end. I think it's more or less equally effective in the film.

Yeah, the point is that Paul takes a position regarding the universe's power structure that's entirely unimaginable to the rest of the universe.

But that's also what makes the ecology angle so significant. Paul can take that unimaginable position because, thanks to being a house noble and a Mentat and a Fremen and even maybe the Kwisatz Haderach, he understands that power structure on a deeper level than anyone else. He comprehends the ecology on which the universe's power structure is built both in the sense of the Spice cycle and in the sense of humanity as one great big organism. The former is metaphor for the latter.

That said, I mostly agree with you about the movies. Villeneuve chose to focus on the mythic and religious angles of the novels and he makes enough nods towards the ecology to keep me happy.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Yeah, it's straight-up just a thing that everyone (with power) is so invested in maintaining the status quo that they have become incredibly intellectually incurious and inflexible. The Imperium was explicitly designed to foster ridiculous levels of interdependence at high levels because they think it keeps things stable. When really what it did was make them unprepared for when a handful of fuckos came along willing to kick over various tables, starting with Baron Harkonnen and ending with Paul. Other people wouldn't even think of doing what Paul does because they've forgotten they're all even on a table that can be kicked over, especially since doing so isn't even a pyrrhic victory but instead just a massive murder/suicide.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

ᑐ ᑌ ᑎ ᕮ part two blu ray has shipped.

I already have part one. It’s going to be time for edibles and a ᑐ ᑌ ᑎ ᕮ day

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

apparently the bluray has less special features than the digital version? which is just, bwuhhh?? what???

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Bluray, you say? The discs of ibad?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Red Rox posted:

The couple people that I know who lost their dad young all turned into dipshits/trainwrecks so yeah that's realistic.

Poor Alia never had a chance

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

CelticPredator posted:

hobbesmaster posted:

Poor Alia never had a chance

Imagine Charles II Hapsburg but Bedouin and on fent

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also that Paul has rallied the Fremen to fanatical loyalty is a big part of why he can take and hold Arrakis, where pretty much the entirety of the next couple books is him and his heirs surviving constant assassination attempts that have to get increasingly Wile E Coyote because he has some of the best warriors in the galaxy that remain loyal to him, whether fanatically or bedgrudgingly, on top of the culture of the majority of the planet. The Harkonnens probably couldn't have managed it without getting the Fremen who'd rather not be nuked very likely teaming up against them with or without Muad'Dib.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Thufir's plan of Benevolent Prince but with Feyd instead of Paul would have probably secured the city fremen, at least as far as we ever see from that pov.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEoQAoEGLhw

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
That could be amazing or terrible. Is there any information on the writer or production team?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

That could be amazing or terrible. Is there any information on the writer or production team?

According to IMDB “Based on the novel by Kevin J. Anderson and Brian Herbert” (specifically sisterhood of dune). Kevin J Anderson is a producer and not an executive producer.

Glancing through things… the director of the first episode directed a westworld episode (clicks through) oh dear season 3.

Well. It could be an entertaining mess?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

villeneuve was supposed to be involved when it was first announced so I'm wondering how he extricated himself from that mess

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kalel posted:

villeneuve was supposed to be involved when it was first announced so I'm wondering how he extricated himself from that mess

Maybe this was a distraction to keep Brian and Kevin from talking to him about the movies?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

hobbesmaster posted:

Maybe this was a distraction to keep Brian and Kevin from talking to him about the movies?

We'd been saying for a while this is like when Marge makes a second cake just to keep Homer distracted from ruining Maggie's birthday cake.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

As long as it has elves, dragons, and incest, it'll be great. And also terrible.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Why is it always edibles that are supposed to be really potent? I guess they just don't affect me as much as other people.

Anyway. I don't have any super secret insider knowledge of how Brian Herbert manages his father's estate. But based on what little I know about smaller projects in the past (e.g. the abortive TTRPG published by Last Unicorn and the currently supported one by Modiphius): licensors have some freedom to interpret the Dune setting as they like, but they can't do stuff that contradicts his prequels and sequels. They can ignore them, but not contradict them and establish an alternate Canon. All glory to Canon!

I imagine that the sheer amount of money involved in the films meant that he was willing to give up on any such restrictions. And this is just wild speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if producing Dune Prophecy was essentially part of the purchase price to make the films.

I'm definitely not surprised that out of the dozen or so prequels to Dune, they're producing a book set so far in the past that anything that happens can be safely ignored going forward.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Huh, Jonsi from Sigur Ros was originally set to do the score before being replaced. That would have been interesting at least.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 15, 2024

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
As Ive said before it might be cool if there's a decent creative team behind it that can make something of the bad Herbert's material but that has very little to do with him or KJA.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Halloween Jack posted:

Why is it always edibles that are supposed to be really potent? I guess they just don't affect me as much as other people.

You've gotta take them on a full stomach, because they work by latching onto fat cells. If your stomach is empty it'll just pass through your system without doing much of anything.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Anyway. I don't have any super secret insider knowledge of how Brian Herbert manages his father's estate. But based on what little I know about smaller projects in the past (e.g. the abortive TTRPG published by Last Unicorn and the currently supported one by Modiphius): licensors have some freedom to interpret the Dune setting as they like, but they can't do stuff that contradicts his prequels and sequels. They can ignore them, but not contradict them and establish an alternate Canon. All glory to Canon!
Could that be part of the reason all the old Dune video games have never been rereleased digitally? GOG have tried multiple times in the past to get them on the platform to know avail, and the stories I'd heard suggested that Brian Herbert (or whoever) didn't see why anyone would want to play old video games. But the Westwood RTSes are these sort of weird distant pseudo-prequels to the 1984 Lynch movies that take a lot of liberties with technology and invent a Great House out of whole cloth as a major faction.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Cognac McCarthy posted:

You've gotta take them on a full stomach, because they work by latching onto fat cells. If your stomach is empty it'll just pass through your system without doing much of anything.

It's also a question of dosage. Smoking/vaping hits quickly so most people will take hits until they're where they want to be then stop. Edibles take a longer time to kick in and last longer so if you take too large of a dose upfront you're locked in to the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Marshal Radisic posted:

Could that be part of the reason all the old Dune video games have never been rereleased digitally? GOG have tried multiple times in the past to get them on the platform to know avail, and the stories I'd heard suggested that Brian Herbert (or whoever) didn't see why anyone would want to play old video games. But the Westwood RTSes are these sort of weird distant pseudo-prequels to the 1984 Lynch movies that take a lot of liberties with technology and invent a Great House out of whole cloth as a major faction.
Maybe! I have no idea. But as you probably know, IP holders often turn down free money for seemingly no reason. Maybe they don't think the profits are worth paying a lawyer to do the relevant paperwork, even if GOG has a cut-and-dried process.