Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Thanks to someone else screenshotting the Arma Reforger Field Manual and posting that on the official Discord, we have an official written preview of AI commanding:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Oysters Autobio posted:

Does Stormworks fit the bill at all for a SAR game, albeit without combat? I've not had a chance to try it and seems pretty indepth for the minecrafty construction part, but curious to know if there's actual enough content (i.e. things "to do" with the stuff you build).

I’ve played quite a bit of it. You can download a bunch of prefab stuff from the workshop, which can be fairly high quality and go into all kinds of niche reproductions.

The SAR gameplay is there kinda but it’s not very fleshed out and doesn’t work that great. They’ve been focusing on oil rig stuff lately and that may come with some more SAR events but I haven’t tried that part. Npcs won’t get in a harness you need to cram them in while say your helicopter is still flying if it has an autopilot that works, MP is available but I’ve never used it.

It’s fun but very much a make your own fun game.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

The Bananana posted:

Have killer seas, with huge waves and such like you see in The Perfect Storm...

Valheim seas in arma would be perfection

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Chortles posted:

Thanks to someone else screenshotting the Arma Reforger Field Manual and posting that on the official Discord, we have an official written preview of AI commanding:
Speaking of Reforger AI, here's a recent pair of anecdotes from the official Discord about the FIA on Reforger Experimental branch: Additionally, they're apparently better than before at using AT launchers.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
New Creator DLC trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syxwHjFqbhs

https://arma3.com/news/arma-3-creator-dlc-spearhead-1944-is-coming-soon

Chortles fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 7, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The Morse code in the trailer refers to operation cobra, which started at the end of July 1944. So most likely coming soon.

I like that these exist but I was kinda underwhelmed with Prairie Fire, since I play single player and there isn’t much to do other than bash the assets together in the editor like Gi joes.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I remember seeing a mod or something a few years ago that sparked my interest in arma that was like, a squad or two sized procedural missions, any idea where to start with that, and how hard is it to set up?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Nalesh posted:

I remember seeing a mod or something a few years ago that sparked my interest in arma that was like, a squad or two sized procedural missions, any idea where to start with that, and how hard is it to set up?

Dynamic Recon Ops?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That was my thought as well. Then there's also Dynamic Combat Ops.
Then there's also Ground Breach and Ground Patrol that are pretty okay.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
The Arma Reforger update 0.9.9.47 is live; despite its title the video below highlights the new features in general:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA8Az4pIFko

Today's devblog posted:

And here is a complete list of features this update brings:
  • Ballistic Protection - Characters are now protected from projectiles and explosions by helmets and vests.

• Basic Deployment of Weapon - Characters can use the environment to stabilize their weapons.

• Conflict: Cleansweep Factor - Refactoring the system to improve sandbox functionality, reliability, and performance.

• Medical Vehicles - 2 new vehicles added, allowing medics to heal patients while traveling.

• Basic Health System - 3 new health items: Saline bags, tourniquets, morphine, improved interface for healing yourself and patients.

• Reviving - A new feature that allows soldiers to have another chance at survival when they suffer serious injuries and become unconscious.

• Respawn System Refactor - The process of spawning players has been made more reliable and streamlined for ease of use.

• Keybinding Menu - Players can bind various key combinations and are informed about conflicts with existing key bindings. (There are some bugs that will be fixed in upcoming patches)

• Radial Menu Refactor - Improve visuals and script implementation.

• Dialog Refactor - Game dialogs have been unified in their implementation, visual style, and appearance.

• Downloading Mods Refactor - Downloading mods has a clear UI/UX. Downloading mods is faster and more reliable.

• Refactor GameState FSM + Mod reloading - Major changes in runtime mods management and loading between games.

• Groups Refactor - Expanded possibilities of groups by introducing selectable flags and implementing changes to private groups.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

i like how the ambulance at the end is driving away before the guy is even on his feet. alright, good luck!!!

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
The Spearhead 1944 Creator DLC is out now, with a 10% launch week discount:
https://twitter.com/ArmaPlatform/status/1683825643719368705.
The YouTube version of the above launch trailer is here, and here is the Compatibility Data add-on for those who don't buy the CDLC.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 25, 2023

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Today the Arma 3 Release Candidate branch update got updated in advance of the stable release of update 2.14; here's the "Area of focus (pseudo-changelog)":

quote:

• Added: 10th Anniversary Bonus Content
  • Added: Enhanced Video Options (thanks Greenfist for the inspiration)
  • Added: Various new script commands
  • Tweaked: Decrypted the remaining vanilla addons from EBO to PBO (_tacops and _contact)
  • Fixed: TLS deprecation by Microsoft in Windows (only utilized in Launcher via .NET)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frvH-Vs3wRc

:owned:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It can happen to the best of us. :v:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
A new Arma Reforger experimental update is here! Now if only the changelog wasn't shorter than the known issues...

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Chortles posted:

A new Arma Reforger experimental update is here! Now if only the changelog wasn't shorter than the known issues...

Fixed: Crash when meleeing a fire hydrant. DamageContext's lifetime could expire, resulting in a crash.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Is Reforger cross platform with PC? If so, are goons playing 3 or Reforger? I'd like to play with folks who aren't dipshits saying I can't have a sniper rifle because I am the "wrong rank"

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

reforger is cross play yeah. afaik goons are playing arma 3 with a bunch of mods, should be a discord somewhere in this thread (i think???) with all the info.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Beastie posted:

Is Reforger cross platform with PC? If so, are goons playing 3 or Reforger? I'd like to play with folks who aren't dipshits saying I can't have a sniper rifle because I am the "wrong rank"

Hop in with Armagoons here, dunno if they still have a separate thread https://discord.gg/0pX1ayULgTsPM7ve

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Mederlock posted:

Hop in with Armagoons here, dunno if they still have a separate thread https://discord.gg/0pX1ayULgTsPM7ve

Thanks, friend!

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
On a different (or not) Reforger note:
https://twitter.com/ArmaPlatform/status/1697270627655180611

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Mederlock posted:

Are there EU based goons in there or is this strictly timezoned around the US

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It's about 50/50 with the few remaining regulars when it comes to US/EU split.
The Saturday slot is a very good EU time slot, with it starting at 20:00 CEST and usually running to just about midnight.
The semi-regular Antistasi pick up games is definitely more in the US slot.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 1, 2023

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
https://twitter.com/ArmaPlatform/status/1699060057680519431

Besides the above, a battlefield cross memorial was added, as were a bunch of assets from Project Argo, two Steam achievements, a "CoF: Gray new 10th anniversary binary unlock", an "Extreme" video quality preset, new post-processing presets, even higher and lower end values for video options with an "Extreme values warning" indicator... and the devs have now decrypted the Tac-Ops Mission Pack and Contact first-party DLC addons by changing them from EBOs to PBOs, making them available for modding to a greater extent; all of these are from the 2.14 changelog.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Most importantly;

quote:

Fixed: Game sometimes detecting mouse left click input when returning after being tabbed away

People can now alt tab safely.

Also the two achievements, from as far as I can tell is Mod Lover and Arma'd.
You can guess what either of those do.

Squido
May 21, 2005
Ask me about being a paedophile.

Cooked Auto posted:

Most importantly;

People can now alt tab safely.

:mad: why must they insist on trying to fix all the funny things about Arma

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

The full release of Arma 3 is 10 years old today where I live. Happy birthday game.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Budzilla posted:

The full release of Arma 3 is 10 years old today where I live. Happy birthday game.

:drat:

Here's to ten years of great memories this game has provided :cheersdoge:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
A new Arma Reforger update is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3pqWduSYgQ

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Looks pretty

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Mederlock posted:

:drat:

Here's to ten years of great memories this game has provided :cheersdoge:

I've played sooo many hours in this game.. it was well worth the cost of entry and the friends that were made along the way.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'm at 4,462 hours played, and not seeing any signs of that not getting higher still.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The friends made and friends unmade with poorly placed rockets.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Anyone notice the Free Belarus reference at 0:44?

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
That's a hiking trail marker. We use those in Poland, too. They're usually painted on rocks or trees.

White/red/white: primary trail in the area
white/blue/white: long-distance trail
white/green/white: short distance trail
white/yellow/white: connecting trail
white/black/whie: short connecting trail

(before you ask how you're supposed to know which trail leads where, you have directional signs at regular intervals like this:

)

armpit_enjoyer fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Sep 15, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Ah, the more you know. Here we use painted dots, on trees mostly.

Or the Free Belarus conspiracy runs deeper than anyone thought :tinfoil:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Gotta repost this still from one of dslyecxi's videos.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
https://twitter.com/ArmaPlatform/status/1705304762671923330

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_mCf0mL9IE

Hey all! I just wanted to drop in and let folks here know that AirGoons are running an Arma 3 mission as part of our new campaign set in South America circa 2010. They're looking for a Few Good Troopers to join their special forces team as they try to fight back against the nefarious PLA who have invaded the Falkland Islands and the southern tip of Chile & Argentina. Come check it out! And while you're at it:

We need YOU. Come fly with us!

We're looking for some volunteer pilots to join us in defending Freedom, Justice, and the South American way! Some 40 goons will fly a plot-heavy campaign in South America in 2010 as a combined Latin American Air Force Coalition while playing Digital Combat Simulator (DCS World). Weekly main mission scheduled at 2000hrs Universal Time on Saturdays. The time and place means that these air forces lack many modern airplanes, and are limited in their weapon selection, with some exceptions such as the Chilean F-16 Vipers. Come join The Long Afternoon War

Our carriers and airfields are filled with A-4 Skyhawks and SU-25T Frogfoots - potent strike fighters that want to take to the skies. One could be yours! We currently have slots open on the roster to fly one of these aircraft in the next fight, and we need you! You don't need to be experienced, and you're welcome to bring a friend! Interactive training missions and detailed manuals are available for all the modules, and there are excellent written guides and tutorial videos created by the community. If you like flight simulators you are most likely in the right place. As some of our supportive flight leaders say:

Snapshot posted:

The bar is officially below landing. If you can crash in the general direction of the airfield, you’re good enough. Of course recovering the aircraft is a good goal.

Vahakyla posted:

There's all kinds of roles. Air Battle Managers, JTACs, pilots, planners, etc. All kinds of flying poo poo and tangential roles are available. There are goons who have played for years, never even owning a single DCS airplane. Lots of tools are free, and the LotATC battle management and ATC software is server-side license on our dime as to not put costs on the user. An armada of goons are willing to teach you any and all aspects of military aviation.

Do You Want to Know More?

Kaal fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 12, 2023