Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

The Iron Rose posted:

all good! I appreciate the clarification, and it’s not entirety unreasonable as a dig given Reagan’s whole supply side economics schtick. I just don’t want to get a reputation as the thread’s token conservative! I’m the thread’s token liberal, thank you very much :v:

now on to a less controversial topic, like Azure’s openAI blocking certain queries because of an /etc/passwd string in them. Which is fine albeit annoying for our security analysts - the bigger problem is that it just returns a generic 500 error :negative:

I have exactly no way I’d determine what queries get dropped for security reasons - which is mandatory and managed by Microsoft - other than intuiting “huh maybe if I remove the string ‘/etc/passwd’ from my query it will work”. For all that LLMs are opaque systems which demand proportionately greater observability investment in client applications, they really don’t expose a lot of tuning points to you!

You'll never be this threads tokin :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

SyNack Sassimov posted:

wait what WHO's modding? oh for fucks sake

How did you get access to my PMs?!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Always knew you were in the pocket of the world health organization

Anyway I'm tired and want to take a break, turns out being the only one on the help desk for weeks is exhausting and I'm behind on all my projects. told my boss but don't worry, she's still giving me more of them. Now I get to go into the office to lay out hardware because my boss is afraid of drop shipping

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
:v: : “Hey tehinternet, we’ve been sending files for three months, why aren’t these files appearing in Sharepoint from the integration folder???”

Me:

1. Nobody ever responded to say the job needed to be turned on per my email 11/9/23

2. You deleted the folder within the SharePoint library that the original job pointed to

3. You added other folders within the integration and expanded scope without telling me, the person who set the job up

4. You have mismatched folder names between the new SharePoint library folders and the folders within the integration folders, you got four of ten right so good job I guess

5. “Refferals” is spelled ‘Referrals’ you absolute loving morons

F U C K

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Finished the Big Meeting this week, other IT guy and myself go things setup and the only issues we had were due to things outside of our control. At breakfast before the last meeting starts, I'm putting some food on my plate and the CEO is right behind me in line, he mentions how it would be nice if he saw us in the office more and the part of my brain that doesn't believe in self preservation says "Well, we don't have free breakfast at the office" and then follow up "but the last few weeks had a big winter storm and such, plus the other guy has had to be home to handle some contractors."
Anyway, after the plane home lands, I check my texts and the CEO has gone to the CIO and stated that he wants to see people in more often. Right now we go in 2-3 days a week, and both of us will be onsite whenever requested. I guess now we need to figure out some coverage that will have the two of us and possibly a 3rd person in to give people WFH days and keep the lights on in a basement office.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

sever

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Should have mentioned that recent article that theorized RTO mandates are a result of ineffective management.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
It kinda is, but its not on my department's side. The other IT folks here work for other departments and one of them is the primary desktop support person and the most visible. He's also the first person any of the C levels head to for problems and due to some things, wasn't in on the normal days he was usually in.

Honestly, at most I'll have 1 more day a week in, if that. This is only for our area, rest of people are spared.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

xzzy posted:

Should have mentioned that recent article that theorized RTO mandates are a result of ineffective management.

Link please

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

All management is ineffective by definition

Coordination, planning, and looking out for each other are all very valuable, but being the "does this person get to eat food this month or not" that management ultimately boils down to under capitalism is unnecessary.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's Forbes so maybe it's bullshit but they reference some research and I agree with the conclusions so obviously that makes it valid.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/qhamirani/2024/01/26/ceos-are-using-return-to-office-mandates-to-mask-poor-management/amp/

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I just went to the office for a 2 day meeting to discuss integration strategy with a company we just acquired and it was really effective to have everyone together face to face, but gently caress that commute I'll take some loss of collaboration over traveling to NYC

Sepist fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Feb 2, 2024

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
In pre-pandemic days, I had jobs in NYC over the years. It was basically a 1 hour and 15 minute door-to-door. Some involved five logistical steps: drive to train station, train to Newark, transfer to PATH train, transfer to another PATH line, walk to office. Others were only four steps - one less transfer. Around the same amount of time. I lucked out on those; the jobs were quick walks from NJ-linked mass transit hubs or stops. No NYC subways required.

About 7-8ish months pre-pandemic, I got a new job which was a 30ish minute drive with traffic.

If full remote goes away (huzzah, I was able to secure permanent remote status) I'd much rather have the five logistical steps with longer commute since I can gently caress off and sleep or catch up on media for those commute legs. Hell, my current office adds an NYC subway trip but it's the 1 train, so it's right within WTC to transfer and doesn't suck too much.

Sure, I have less downtime to catch up on bad animu but more time with my cats

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Had an interview today for an actual desktop helpdesk position instead of proprietary tech support. Don’t think it went well but I have another interview with a different place on Monday at least

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Well compared to the Teams nightmare of last week this Friday is a pretty excellent "keep the lights on" kinda day. Probably hit the gym shortly here and head home to just remain 'available' the rest of the afternoon.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Haven't gotten a ticket yet over here, which thank Christ Im dying over here

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

this has been one of the worst fridays I've had in a very long time so I put in a vacation day for Monday and I'm turning off my cell phone after 5:00PM.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Had an interview today for an actual desktop helpdesk position instead of proprietary tech support. Don’t think it went well but I have another interview with a different place on Monday at least

Update they gave me an offer for some reason. It’s $4 an hour more than I’m making now (I’m still entry level) but it’s healthcare IT and I would only have 5 PTO days. I told them I’d think about it but I’m leaning towards passing even though I’m really unhappy at my current place

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

nothing stopping you from taking it and continuing the search

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

5 PTO days? What the gently caress. Do you get free healthcare?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

GreenNight posted:

5 PTO days? What the gently caress. Do you get free healthcare?

It’s through a contract company so no lol. I’m autistic and neurotic so PTO days are even more important to me than most people even though I don’t do anything with them except play games and hang with my kitty

The Fool posted:

nothing stopping you from taking it and continuing the search

This is a good point but I’m not sure a few months would look good on my resume. I stuck it out at my current place for 2 months past when it became clear where stuff was heading because I wanted a firm year on there.

Also the place on Monday I actually do want to work at but it’s only round 2 of a three round process so it’s not a sure thing even if I do well on it

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 2, 2024

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

This is a good point but I’m not sure a few months would look good on my resume. I stuck it out at my current place for 2 months past when it became clear where stuff was heading because I wanted a firm year on there.

You're allowed to leave short term jobs off your resume.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

tokin opposition posted:

Haven't gotten a ticket yet over here, which thank Christ Im dying over here

Yeah that was my day too until a service outage ticket came in at 3:45pm.

Unable to resolve remotely so my Saturday will be driving to a location. Only like 75 minutes away thankfully.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Counter with more PTO.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It’s through a contract company so no lol. I’m autistic and neurotic so PTO days are even more important to me than most people even though I don’t do anything with them except play games and hang with my kitty

Also the place on Monday I actually do want to work at but it’s only round 2 of a three round process so it’s not a sure thing even if I do well on it

I had an interview with a company back in 2019 where they asked about how many short-term jobs I had on my resume. I started with "Well x, y, and z were contracts and-" and the interviewer said "Okay that explains it don't worry about it." On my resume I have them listed as Contract: date - date as well, a lot of contracts are only for 3-6 months so being at those for a short time frame isn't a bad thing. My advice would be take it, get the experience with general support rather than supporting proprietary equipment, and keep looking while building up skills that will help you with future interviews.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I had an interview with a company back in 2019 where they asked about how many short-term jobs I had on my resume. I started with "Well x, y, and z were contracts and-" and the interviewer said "Okay that explains it don't worry about it." On my resume I have them listed as Contract: date - date as well, a lot of contracts are only for 3-6 months so being at those for a short time frame isn't a bad thing. My advice would be take it, get the experience with general support rather than supporting proprietary equipment, and keep looking while building up skills that will help you with future interviews.

I’m going to see how the interview on Monday goes with a lot of focus on what I would be doing there and then I’ll give my answer. It’s a 12 month contract but my hesitation is mainly due to my own autistic fear of conflict from telling the recruiter I’m jetting after saying yes or only 3 months in.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

mllaneza posted:

You're allowed to leave short term jobs off your resume.

You're allowed to do whatever you want with your resume, it's not like it's a legal document.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

TheBlackVegetable posted:

You're allowed to do whatever you want with your resume, it's not like it's a legal document.

I keep my bill millers job on my resume from when I was 16 because they paid more than any other place at the time. It's my flex.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jaegerx posted:

I keep my bill millers job on my resume from when I was 16 because they paid more than any other place at the time. It's my flex.

Ever work at HEB? I thought that was everyone’s first job

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

skipdogg posted:

Ever work at HEB? I thought that was everyone’s first job

That was the second job.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

jaegerx posted:

Wow, you paid an entire 1 dollar an hour?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

CitizenKain posted:

Finished the Big Meeting this week, other IT guy and myself go things setup and the only issues we had were due to things outside of our control. At breakfast before the last meeting starts, I'm putting some food on my plate and the CEO is right behind me in line, he mentions how it would be nice if he saw us in the office more and the part of my brain that doesn't believe in self preservation says "Well, we don't have free breakfast at the office" and then follow up "but the last few weeks had a big winter storm and such, plus the other guy has had to be home to handle some contractors."
Anyway, after the plane home lands, I check my texts and the CEO has gone to the CIO and stated that he wants to see people in more often. Right now we go in 2-3 days a week, and both of us will be onsite whenever requested. I guess now we need to figure out some coverage that will have the two of us and possibly a 3rd person in to give people WFH days and keep the lights on in a basement office.

Can’t say I would have had the wherewithal myself, but if you’re going for it anyway seems like the way to go would have been to get an explanation for why it would be nice and hope he realizes he can only respond with meaningless platitudes. It’s an executive, so they won’t, but might be worth a try.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Can’t say I would have had the wherewithal myself, but if you’re going for it anyway seems like the way to go would have been to get an explanation for why it would be nice and hope he realizes he can only respond with meaningless platitudes. It’s an executive, so they won’t, but might be worth a try.

I did ask around on Friday when I went in, but its basically aimed at the other person down there, and I'm just kinda caught in the blast radius. 99% of the IT staff is located in other areas, there is a handful of us who live in the same place as the headquarters. However, the C levels just see us as IT and don't understand we all have vastly different roles.
We'll see how this shakes out when managers start getting involved. Right now I guess I need to put on pants more during the week.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I think you need to ask yourself what that will accomplish. The CEO is not going to have a sudden epiphany and say, "You're right, that doesn't make sense, never mind." He will never admit error. All that will happen is they'll damage their standing. If it's an adequate reason for them to leave, leave. But belaboring it with the CEO is all downside.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
My manager is gone all week and didn’t give me any tasks to do. Luckily they seem cool with me doing school work so it looks like I’ll be doing some python and ansible stuff.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Place I really wanted was hesitant about me going to the next round. Which made sense since apparently I would be one of two people supporting two huge warehouses plus the managers offices which I’m not ready for right now.

Going with the contract position. It’s a raise and even though it’s completely onsite it will give me the experience with general systems to hopefully get me a full remote job or a direct hire desktop support role with better benefits.

It’s not ideal but it’s a step up. Now to prep my two weeks notice

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sorry to hear that the other position didn't work out, but like you said maybe for the best. Congrats on the new job! I think it's easy to think every job change is some crazy leap, but at least in my experience it doesn't work like that and even the stepping stones should be celebrated!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ugh state budget changes mean the job I was holding out for this July might not be available at all. loving lame

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I have free applications that support SAML how in the world does luxerone justify trying to charge 10k for setup and $250/month extra for the feature.

Also luxerone is one of the worst vendors I’ve ever worked with even prior to this quote. Just awful support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

What vendors have good support because in my experience everyone either has awful support or is in the process of getting rid of the last vestiges of good support as they move everything to AI chatbots and offshore call centers they train to refer to the first company they hear mentioned