Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

That makes no sense. The very spirit of a rangefinder is manual focus with the rangefinder patch. But Leica owns that game by virtue of being the only one playing.

When I said "sprit" I was thinking about the other appeals of using a rangefinder camera, mainly: window viewfinder where everything is in focus, bright line frame lines where you can see what's out of the frame, the viewfinder located in the corner of the camera where you can shoot with both eyes open unobstructed, etc. Of course the actual focusing mechanism is completely different, the X100 isn't actually a rangefinder camera, but I find that shooting the X100 is very much similar to shooting a proper rangefinder camera in practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The only time I ever use the X100's optical viewfinder is panning shots.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

My new mod helps me further capture the spirit of using a film camera

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

feigning interest posted:

Nice - they finally added zebra striping for focus assist!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

feigning interest posted:

ouch :( how'd it happen?

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Wow, an actual use case for using the menus in the viewfinder.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

Mest0r posted:

Exactly! And I can review images from the evf as well

DJExile posted:

ouch :( how'd it happen?

It fell just a few inches lens-down but it somehow managed to crack the rear lcd from within (that impact point is right at a years-old tiny nick in the glass so I guess it was just a matter of time)

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Mest0r posted:

This is the only thing I legit freaking hate on this camera.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So I just go a Gordy's wrist strap for my X100T and...I kind of hate it. No matter how I grip it the string wrapped area gets in the way of holding the camera. Maybe I need a longer one, or I should try a wrist strap that connects to the tripod mount?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I just use a Nintendo Wii strap on my camera. Have for years, it's never gone wrong and is really easy to deal with.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

How much of an improvement is the X-Pro 1 over the X100?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mulls posted:

How much like a rangefinder would you say using a Fuji x100-series camera feels like? I can't explain why I love shooting my film rangefinders, but I think it's a combination of the lo-fi feel, the brightness of the viewfinder image, and the compact size of the camera. Another big factor is that while a manual focus rangefinder is a little slower to focus, I'm much more confident of having nailed the focus. Is a Fuji x100 basically a digital Canonet QL17 or is it more like a digital SLR but with the viewfinder in a different spot?

If you can afford to shoot film now you are afford to get the first generation x100 to find out yourself. I had a QL17 mark ii, I would say its closer to rangerfinder shooting style than SLR.

Animal posted:

The only time I ever use the X100's optical viewfinder is panning shots.

I use the OVF 95% of the time. The other 5% I use the LCD.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 25, 2015

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Linedance posted:

I just use a Nintendo Wii strap on my camera. Have for years, it's never gone wrong and is really easy to deal with.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

How much of an improvement is the X-Pro 1 over the X100?

The OG x100? A ton. It has an xtrans sensor, interchangeable lenses and focus peaking. I also prefer the size of the xpro over an x100, I sold my x100s because I never wanted to take it anywhere after I bought an xpro.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

8th-snype posted:

The OG x100? A ton. It has an xtrans sensor, interchangeable lenses and focus peaking. I also prefer the size of the xpro over an x100, I sold my x100s because I never wanted to take it anywhere after I bought an xpro.

Counterpoint: I did not like the x-pro because I felt the form factor wasn't quite small enough to be a daily carry, so I didn't take it anywhere. My X100T has not left my bag since the day I got it. That said, 35mm focal length has always been my go-to, so YMMV.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Fart Car '97 posted:

Counterpoint: I did not like the x-pro because I felt the form factor wasn't quite small enough to be a daily carry, so I didn't take it anywhere. My X100T has not left my bag since the day I got it. That said, 35mm focal length has always been my go-to, so YMMV.

What are you thoughts on the X100T so far?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Animal posted:

What are you thoughts on the X100T so far?

I love it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
To be fair I have no issue just carrying a camera where either in a bag or just around my neck, I haven't left the house without one since 2004ish. So my acceptable "daily carry" is probably nontypical. The X100 is just too small for my hands to be comfortable.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

8th-snype posted:

To be fair I have no issue just carrying a camera where either in a bag or just around my neck, I haven't left the house without one since 2004ish. So my acceptable "daily carry" is probably nontypical. The X100 is just too small for my hands to be comfortable.

It's near unusable to me without the Lensmate thumb-grip. That thing turns it into a whole different camera, ergonomically. Its expensive but so worth it.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

Animal posted:

It's near unusable to me without the Lensmate thumb-grip. That thing turns it into a whole different camera, ergonomically. Its expensive but so worth it.

This, except a $2 plastic one from eBay

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
I have one of these for mine - http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Dedica...0s+grip+desmond

The grip is 100x more comfortable than without, and it doesn't stick out any further than the lens + cap does, so it doesn't increase the practical thickness of the camera at all, plus it adds an arca plate to the bottom. These don't quite fit on the X100T as is, so I had to shave a little bit of aluminum away with my dremel, but that takes 10-15 minutes.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

timrenzi574 posted:

I have one of these for mine - http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Dedica...0s+grip+desmond

The grip is 100x more comfortable than without, and it doesn't stick out any further than the lens + cap does, so it doesn't increase the practical thickness of the camera at all, plus it adds an arca plate to the bottom. These don't quite fit on the X100T as is, so I had to shave a little bit of aluminum away with my dremel, but that takes 10-15 minutes.

I hope a third party releases a grip like that for the X-T10. I'd get the Fuji one, but it's just too expensive.

As much as I love my X-T10, I could definitely see myself upgrading to the X-T1 successor down the road in order to get a slightly more grippy camera. I just can't justify buying the X-T1 for weather sealing, more manual control, and a more grippier camera.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I just can't justify buying the X-T1 for weather sealing, more manual control, and a more grippier camera.
Do yourself a favor and don't ever look at an X-T1's EVF :ssh:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Do yourself a favor and don't ever look at an X-T1's EVF :ssh:

Does it offer a zoomed in view for better focusing? I know some cameras offer that functionality in their EVF.

Gom Jabbar
Oct 3, 2005
The high-handed enemy
Yes

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

timrenzi574 posted:

Thats a giant grip, it turns a X100 into a XPro1?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

whatever7 posted:

Thats a giant grip, it turns a X100 into a XPro1?

It does make it just about as tall, but not as wide (I don't keep the l-plate on the side attached) - but like I said, it doesn't stick out any further in the front than the lens already does, so realistically all it does is make the camera a quarter inch taller, while making it way easier to hold.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I have one of those for my XE2 and I have nice metal thumb grips on both my cameras. I don't keep the vertical plate on though because it's hella awkward.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

KEH is doing an Olympus "Happy Hour" now until 6PM Eastern Time. 20% off used stuff with code "OLYMPUS20"

If you want an OMD or PEN body this is a good chance to get one on the cheap.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

DJExile posted:

KEH is doing an Olympus "Happy Hour" now until 6PM Eastern Time. 20% off used stuff with code "OLYMPUS20"
Thanks, just picked up a 40-150 for $63.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
So I got a slightly used x100t and I have been absolutely digging on this camera to the point where it is pretty much the only thing I have been using as of late. However I have an issue. I went out the other night and got caught in a slight drizzle. It wasn't a significant downpour but it was enough to get my camera slightly wet. Everything still works however the on off switch has not become very stiff. Once I use it a bit it loosens up but after sitting unused for more than a couple hours it stiffens up again. It's not a total buzzkill and I still love using this camera. Was wondering if anyone knew of any tips to help loosen the switch back up. Could I use a little WD-40 or would that damage it in some way? I would rather avoid sending the camera to fuji as this is only a minor inconvenience that I don't feel justifies paying a ton of money to fix. I am also in the middle of a documentary project and can't really afford to have this camera out of my hands for more than a couple of days.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Not speaking as an authority for cameras, but for electronics you generally don't want to use anything but ISO as that will evaporate off quickly.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Fun fact: the Panasonic G7 + 14-42 lens combo just had a $200 price drop at Best Buy. Dunno if it's a sale or the new normal, but it didn't stop me from snatching one up like a starving orphan who ... eats ... cameras. Or something.

I still have to run this through its paces, but so far it looks pretty solid but unremarkable. Maybe when I bust out the 4K photo stuff it'll wow me more.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

pootiebigwang posted:

So I got a slightly used x100t and I have been absolutely digging on this camera to the point where it is pretty much the only thing I have been using as of late. However I have an issue. I went out the other night and got caught in a slight drizzle. It wasn't a significant downpour but it was enough to get my camera slightly wet. Everything still works however the on off switch has not become very stiff. Once I use it a bit it loosens up but after sitting unused for more than a couple hours it stiffens up again. It's not a total buzzkill and I still love using this camera. Was wondering if anyone knew of any tips to help loosen the switch back up. Could I use a little WD-40 or would that damage it in some way? I would rather avoid sending the camera to fuji as this is only a minor inconvenience that I don't feel justifies paying a ton of money to fix. I am also in the middle of a documentary project and can't really afford to have this camera out of my hands for more than a couple of days.

Pull the battery, and dip a q-tip in alcohol and work it around the edge of the switch while you turn the switch on and off, hopefully it should loosen up. Or try burying it in rice, that should pull out whatever moisture is inside.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Mirage posted:

Fun fact: the Panasonic G7 + 14-42 lens combo just had a $200 price drop at Best Buy. Dunno if it's a sale or the new normal, but it didn't stop me from snatching one up like a starving orphan who ... eats ... cameras. Or something.

I still have to run this through its paces, but so far it looks pretty solid but unremarkable. Maybe when I bust out the 4K photo stuff it'll wow me more.

What was the price before/what is it now?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Digital Jesus posted:

What was the price before/what is it now?

MSRP is $799, on sale for $599.

The 4K photo is pretty slick. There's a mode called "pre-burst" that captures 30 frames before and after the moment you hit the shutter, so you can be just an instant late and still get your shot. You can only save out 8mp JPEG images but it works great for what it does.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I could see a lot of parents with young kids being interested in that.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

pootiebigwang posted:

My power switch is pretty sticky as well and I don't think I've ever gotten it very damp. The other day though my focus ring was stuck as well and it toon a bit of torque to break it free for it to rotate again. I just chalked it up to a camera quirk but please do let me know if you figure out a fix for it. Personally it hasn't bothered me enough yet to do anything about it

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
something got under my x100t's shutter speed dial and gunked it up a bit so it wouldn't click nice when switching to certain speeds. I used some dental floss on it (worked the floss between the dial and the camera body) and it's good now. Don't know if this would help with your power button problems but give it a shot maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

More Fuji troubleshooting - I just purchased a YN 560-IV and a set of YN RF-603C radio triggers. While I have gotten the trigger to sync with the flash (it fires when I press the button on the trigger) I can't get it to fire off of my X100S hotshoe. I have set the X100S to the external flash mode, but no dice. The flash will fire when mounted directly on my hotshoe, but I would like to get my flash off camera. Am I doing something very wrong? Is there something broken with my camera?