Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I had some food from this "red hot and blue" place... And it succkked like it was kind of acrid tasting. The best way I could describe it as 'the way marb lights tasted when I had s cold' (from back when I was trying to make smoked people lungs).

I dunno how or if they smoked their meat but it was totally over like an Ikea dresser or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Urban BBQ is where it's at

Has anyone ever tried smoking apples? I threw some on today after the brisket came off just for the hell of it. Served em up with maple syrup, Saigon cinnamon, almond flour and a little scoop of vanilla ice cream. Absolutely god damned incredible.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^^sounds interesting haven't ever considered smoking fruit

how do I go about ordering the kick rear end beef ribs that I had at the incredible BBQ place I had in Austin?

I'm in Seattle and have no idea what to ask for at the few limited butchers in the area. I want those beefy bois ribz

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

tater_salad posted:

I had some food from this "red hot and blue" place... And it succkked like it was kind of acrid tasting. The best way I could describe it as 'the way marb lights tasted when I had s cold' (from back when I was trying to make smoked people lungs).

I dunno how or if they smoked their meat but it was totally over like an Ikea dresser or something.

That's weird, cause there was a place in Texas called Red Hot and Blue that was really great. Although I will say the last time I ate there was probably a decade ago.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

It's a chain. Ate there maybe 15 years ago, and really was not impressed. After 15 years in/around Austin, maybe I was spoiled. Been in Virginia for quite a while, and it's a brisket desert. When you can find brisket it's usually dry and/or flavorless.

There's a fantastic place in Richmond that has really good brisket, and just today found one in Norfolk that was also good.

Stanley's from Tyler came up to a local brewery today bringing their own smokers, wood and meats. I really wanted to go, but the line was around the block. Luckily found the one decent place around here right after.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

Urban BBQ is where it's at

Has anyone ever tried smoking apples? I threw some on today after the brisket came off just for the hell of it. Served em up with maple syrup, Saigon cinnamon, almond flour and a little scoop of vanilla ice cream. Absolutely god damned incredible.

I'm grooving on everything but the almond flour. I just can't seeing how that fits in.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

That's weird, cause there was a place in Texas called Red Hot and Blue that was really great. Although I will say the last time I ate there was probably a decade ago.

This was Williamsburg VA, twasnt very good.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Canuckistan posted:

I'm grooving on everything but the almond flour. I just can't seeing how that fits in.

Almond "flour" is nothing like real flour, it's just coarsely crushed up almonds; it adds some of the same dryness/texture you'd get from making a proper crumble or a pie crust

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

tater_salad posted:

This was Williamsburg VA, twasnt very good.

If you're in Williamsburg go to Pierce's

Diet Sodium
Apr 29, 2009

MrUnderbridge posted:

There's a fantastic place in Richmond that has really good brisket, and just today found one in Norfolk that was also good.

What place in Norfolk if you don’t mind me asking? I’ve been here my entire life and the area is saturated with bbq places and most of them are not very good. Especially when it comes to brisket, like you said.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Almond "flour" is nothing like real flour, it's just coarsely crushed up almonds; it adds some of the same dryness/texture you'd get from making a proper crumble or a pie crust

I've used a combo of almond flour and crushed pecans to make a cheesecake crust, and it works great. I'm just not seeing how you used it here. Did you pre-bake it to give it a crunch for a crumble?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Redwood smoke shack on Manteo, just off 21st. Since that place in downtown Suffolk closed it's the best brisket I've had around here.

Funny, the Red, White and Blue I ate at was the Williamsburg one. Smokey Bones isn't any better.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Canuckistan posted:

I've used a combo of almond flour and crushed pecans to make a cheesecake crust, and it works great. I'm just not seeing how you used it here. Did you pre-bake it to give it a crunch for a crumble?

Oh, yeah, it was prebaked with a little butter and cinnamon (full disclosure it was actually my girlfriend that prepared this portion of the meal)

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, yeah, it was prebaked with a little butter and cinnamon (full disclosure it was actually my girlfriend that prepared this portion of the meal)

STOLEN FOOD VALOR

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Veritek83 posted:

If you're in Williamsburg go to Pierce's

Might try it,.right now 1/2 passed out at hotel after watching football because weather sucks bad today and heading home tomorrow am.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

BraveUlysses posted:

^^sounds interesting haven't ever considered smoking fruit

how do I go about ordering the kick rear end beef ribs that I had at the incredible BBQ place I had in Austin?

I'm in Seattle and have no idea what to ask for at the few limited butchers in the area. I want those beefy bois ribz

It's pretty rare finding full long uncut beef ribs at stores, but beef short ribs should be everywhere and are indeed amazing BBQ. There's no difference really- Short ribs are just the full beef rib chopped in half.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Our grocery store frequently carries beef back ribs and they are amazing.

It basically tastes like a well marbled ribeye/prime rib, for a fraction of the cost. :getin:

We also discovered a restaurant supply store really close by that stocks brisket at 2.88$ a pound, I get the feeling we'll be going back often. I want to try making pastrami.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I think you can get full primals at Smart and Final not just Smart Foodservice if that makes your life easier.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
You can order a 12 lbs wagyu straight from Japan rib section from Costco right now for 1000 bucks.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You can order a 12 lbs wagyu straight from Japan rib section from Costco right now for 1000 bucks.

Yeah, but what grade wagyu?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

DiggityDoink posted:

Yeah, but what grade wagyu?

A5

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I think i'm just going to buy an A-Maz-N pellet tube instead of a new smoker and just use my propane grill for a while.
I might call MES and see if i can just buy a new element without too much trouble.

Propane grill + A-maz-n should get me where i need to go, even for poultry until i have enough time/space/money for an egg/traeger.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

toplitzin posted:

I think i'm just going to buy an A-Maz-N pellet tube instead of a new smoker and just use my propane grill for a while.
I might call MES and see if i can just buy a new element without too much trouble.

Propane grill + A-maz-n should get me where i need to go, even for poultry until i have enough time/space/money for an egg/traeger.

MES are awesome to deal with, they'll know exactly what you need and the kit they send is top notch with instructions.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

toplitzin posted:

For my MES 40 the kit for the new element was $30 and took me just a few minutes to install. Only problem I had was one of the bolts was rusted and in a cramped spot that mad it hard to get out.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Chemmy posted:

I think you can get full primals at Smart and Final not just Smart Foodservice if that makes your life easier.

Why would you do this to me, I'm already out of freezer space. :argh:

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Also Costco business has them as well :)

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
And while you are at Coscto you can buy a new bigger freezer just for meat!

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Trastion posted:

And while you are at Coscto you can buy a new bigger freezer just for meat!

please don't give her ideas

:negative:

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I've a full packer in my fridge right now almost fully defrosted, I'm planning on cooking it Saturday. First one so I've a few questions and was hoping more experienced folk could help critique the plan.

I was initially gonna do a full packer on my Akorn, but after reading up on amazing ribs that'll like take up to 18 hours, I've decided to separate out the point and the flat, likely making burnt ends with the point, but maybe just doing them next to each other.

I'll trim and then salt and inject it tomorrow (Friday) so it can rest overnight. I was planning on just using salt and black pepper, but if there are any rubs that are really better would love to hear.

Projected start time is 6am so would get up before that to preheat the smoker etc.

Would then crutch it in foil when it hits 150, then when it's 195-203 and tender to the fork, take it out and stick it in a cooler for an hour or so.

Big questions are, does the injection really help? Is the different noticeable/better?

Also around the full packer vs separating out, how much is that time of 18 hours accurate? If I had a electric smoker that could maintain temp without me I'd be happy to do it over night, but as temp control done by hand, I don't trust it without me watching/adjusting.

Lastly water pan under the beef, I figure it's not a bad idea, but is there any advantage to using other liquid?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Carillon posted:

Lastly water pan under the beef, I figure it's not a bad idea, but is there any advantage to using other liquid?

I'm not a brisket guy so I'll leave that to others more knowledgeable, but don't bother using anything put water in a water pan. It acts as a heat stabilizer and humidity source only.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Taking my dad to a bbq workshop tomorrow, run by one of the Aussie pros. Five hours of learning how to cook, plus tasting everything and ending with a giant meat platter. Gonna be good

X13Fen fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 25, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

X13Fen posted:

Taking my dad to a bbq workshop tomorrow, run by one of the Aussie pros. Five hours of learning how to cook, plus tasting reverting and ending with a giant meat platter. Gonna be good

You are a good son.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Can one of y'all suggest a wifi enabled temperature regulator for a large Big Green Egg? I'd like to try smoking a turkey this year and having more control on airflow than what the factory vents provides seems like a good idea. I'd like one that can talk to a phone on a home wifi network so I can keep an eye on it without having to really babysit the egg.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Fireboard + Drive

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 2, 2019

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I got a Flameboss for cheap but would look into other options before committing. The web app is serviceable but the site tends to crash around Thanksgiving/Christmas.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
tried out my multi-tier cooking system on my BGE, for some spares and a 12-13lb brisket (weight after trimming)

also my shithead puppy was thirsting all day for this stuff, first when i was prepping it and then when i was serving it.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

BraveUlysses posted:

tried out my multi-tier cooking system on my BGE, for some spares and a 12-13lb brisket (weight after trimming)

Very nice! What's the temperature difference between the first and second layer? Is it pretty small?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i think it definitely gets a bit hotter up top

unfortunately i got the egg going and threw everything in and ran out the door and the temp got a bit hot and i had to have my wife dial it back a bunch

so it ended up being a hot/fast cook and one rack got overcooked a bit. brisket came out pretty good for no crutch and cooked in ~4-5 hours.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
From the picture it looks like the multi tier cooking system is just you putting a grate on top of your pork shoulder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

McSpankWich posted:

From the picture it looks like the multi tier cooking system is just you putting a grate on top of your pork shoulder

turn on your monitor