Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fooma posted:

Where the heck are you seeing Exile bias? The biggest beta group has been on Dominion, and if this thread is any indication, Dominion is leaning to be the higher pop group at launch. There may well be an Exile group, but I'm sure as hell staying away from it from what I've seen of the early levels.

Pretty much all MMO's post WoW 1.0, the generically evil side always had more players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

I think the Exiles are fantastic I just don't want to associate with people who roll Aurin unironically. It's still cool to have two guilds though it's not like this game will have supersecretopsecspvp.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Iron Tusk posted:

Pretty much all MMO's post WoW 1.0, the generically evil side always had more players.

The Dominion are clearly the good guys. The Imperium of Man versus Space Libertarians.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Sedisp posted:

The Dominion are clearly the good guys. The Imperium of Man versus Space Rednecks.

ftfy

e: Maybe I should have suggested a new thread alongside the faction/guild name chat? I don't know?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

There is no difference.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Sedisp posted:

There is no difference.

Fair point!

e: Also a good image to use for your post

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sedisp posted:

The Dominion are clearly the good guys. The Imperium of Man versus Space Libertarians.

Well I guess the mass murder and environmental ravaging fit well with that analogy. The emperor's hologram is even gold. Who would the Space Libertarians be in 40k? Dark Eldar? Do what feels good and murder the rest.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Phrasing posted:

I think the Exiles are fantastic I just don't want to associate with people who roll Aurin unironically. It's still cool to have two guilds though it's not like this game will have supersecretopsecspvp.

This but instead of Aurin, people that want to play as Forsaken 2.0. BO.RING.

Iron Tusk posted:

Well in WoW's case the Horde are less evil and just :qq: MISUNDERSTOOD :qq:. From what I played in the beta the Dominion are just a bunch of assholes that want to rule the galaxy so I appreciate them being actually evil. And there's absolutely nothing misunderstood about the Chua. They are straight up evil genius psychopaths.

Solles
Apr 29, 2014

Solles posted:

Forgive me for being new and stupid but I just post in the GBS saying hey I'm Solles I like long walks on the beach and reacharounds? I would have done earlier but didn't see it in the forum rules.

HaHa gently caress you guys.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Macaluso posted:

And there's absolutely nothing misunderstood about the Chua. They are straight up evil genius psychopaths.

Can't say no to a face like this:

Solles posted:

Did you not post in the right place?

dreffen fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 7, 2014

Solles
Apr 29, 2014

dreffen posted:

Did you not post in the right place?

Yeah I'm pretty sure I did.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sedisp posted:

That's how you get into Goon guilds when you're new. This is basic knowledge, dude.
I was going to disagree, but you see, the Android app doesn't show reg dates by default...

Does anyone want to bum around doing a low level something for open beta? I didn't choose the goon server with my first guy but I don't want to remake just to sit around alone. Then again maybe at this point it's better to just gently caress off and wait for headstart. I'm going to be super casual about this poo poo anyway.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Solles posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure I did.

Go post your thread in BYOB 8.2: Look at them beef curtain!

CrashCat posted:

I was going to disagree, but you see, the Android app doesn't show reg dates by default...

Does anyone want to bum around doing a low level something for open beta? I didn't choose the goon server with my first guy but I don't want to remake just to sit around alone. Then again maybe at this point it's better to just gently caress off and wait for headstart. I'm going to be super casual about this poo poo anyway.

If it doesn't bother you much you definitely could just reroll for the open beta, and if not just wait for the headstart! It'll come fast.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Is it just me or is Algoroc tiny compared to Deradune and Celestion?

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

CrashCat posted:

Open Beta actually serves the best opportunity to remake, at least in my opinion. I dunno what super casual entails, but if it involves anything like finishing all of the path quests in a zone or doing any crafting, when there's a wipe coming, it's kind of a deterrent doing any of the "chorish" stuff outside of learning how it works. I don't mind running around the entire area searching for tiny little areas to drop flags, but I'm not doing it when I'm on a pressing time limit to make an educated decision at launch. It's not like at this point you're going to be able to get to Level 50 and try out the 20-man raid before the wipe, if you're currently a low level. Best to try out all the classes and whatnot.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

I use the beta to play the side I don't intend to play.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Every single time goons decided to split into several different guilds, the eventual bleed of players who the game failed to really grab left most or all of these guilds half-empty and unable to get enough people to do endgame content.

I think it would be better to just have a poll and then whichever side wins is the side that everyone plays. I'd be a bit sad to not get to play a race that I like if the vote is not in the favor of the side I prefer, but I think it's more important to have a large and active guild that survives past the first month or two.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

RottenK posted:

Every single time goons decided to split into several different guilds, the eventual bleed of players who the game failed to really grab left most or all of these guilds half-empty and unable to get enough people to do endgame content.

I think it would be better to just have a poll and then whichever side wins is the side that everyone plays. I'd be a bit sad to not get to play a race that I like if the vote is not in the favor of the side I prefer, but I think it's more important to have a large and active guild that survives past the first month or two.

So if the decision was to do the guild on a PvE server, you could conceivably have characters on both sides, in two guilds because you're allowed to roll both factions on a PvE server it seems.

Doesn't seem like you can (or you couldn't from what I remember) roll both sides on a PvP server

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

dreffen posted:

So if the decision was to do the guild on a PvE server, you could conceivably have characters on both sides, in two guilds because you're allowed to roll both factions on a PvE server it seems.

Doesn't seem like you can (or you couldn't from what I remember) roll both sides on a PvP server

Can the two guilds from different sides use the same guild chat or easily team up for content?

Strategy
Jul 1, 2002

Solles posted:

Lurk more.

edit: 10 year anniversary :regd04: never forget

Strategy fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 7, 2014

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Part of me wants to be on Dominion because Chua/Draken

Another part of me wants to be Exile so I don't have to choose between Chua and Draken and I just go Human

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

RottenK posted:

Can the two guilds from different sides use the same guild chat or easily team up for content?

No. That's all separated still. But on a PvE server you can at least roll both sides. Which is something, at least.

I'm kind of torn too, because I like the Mordesh and Granok, and the Chua. So I'm covered any way.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

dreffen posted:

No. That's all separated still. But on a PvE server you can at least roll both sides. Which is something, at least.

I'm kind of torn too, because I like the Mordesh and Granok, and the Chua. So I'm covered any way.

That was a rhetorical question, I knew the answer :v:

I just think that rolling both sides will lead to two half-dead guilds. First the initial first-month rush of players will leave, and then :spergin: will get mad at not having enough geared people for raids and leave for some tryhard guild. Or at least that's my experience with splintered goon guilds in MMOs.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

RottenK posted:

I just think that rolling both sides will lead to two half-dead guilds. First the initial first-month rush of players will leave, and then :spergin: will get mad at not having enough geared people for raids and leave for some tryhard guild. Or at least that's my experience with splintered goon guilds in MMOs.

Haha, sorry, it's late. You're probably correct, too.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
CRB_Gaffer posted about optimization plans:

quote:

We were talking about that in the dev muckdemuck meeting today,
Scraig or one of the GFX guys is intending to do a post soon on what changes are in the next patch, what's intended for launch, and what the 3-6 month updates are specifically around optimization.
The guys are busy doing optimizations and stuff but if possible they'll take a brief break for an update. Unless plans change because something catches on fire.

This was a week ago and the post has yet to come and I'll try and keep my eye out for it, but I thought I'd point out that they just projected 6 months, time to riot.

Uncle Phil
Nov 1, 2010
I vote for vote. Winner take all.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

a cat on an apple posted:

CRB_Gaffer posted about optimization plans:

This was a week ago and the post has yet to come and I'll try and keep my eye out for it, but I thought I'd point out that they just projected 6 months, time to riot.

I cannot imagine that's what he meant. There's gotta be more to that.

Like if a 6 month projection for optimization only (not like, optimization and UI improvement) is really what he meant then that seems like real bad news

dreffen fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 7, 2014

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!
I think he meant to say at 3 months and 6 months they are planning to do a big (probably content) patch and will fit stuff in there.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

RottenK posted:

This never goes as planned, there will always be people that absolutely will not want to play whatever wins and just break off and start a goon guild on the other side. Might as well just relax, play what you want, and reevaluate if and when the masses start migrating.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

a cat on an apple posted:

How many people are even interested in a Goon guild? I doubt there's enough to support an active guild on both factions, and from what I've seen, the majority are leaning towards the Exiles.

Unless someone else steps up I plan to run a Goon guild on Dominion side... Although I have some naming ideas I'm leaning into, I'm open for suggestions.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

This never goes as planned, there will always be people that absolutely will not want to play whatever wins and just break off and start a goon guild on the other side. Might as well just relax, play what you want, and reevaluate if and when the masses start migrating.

Waiting until the 30/60 day departure begins doesn't really work. Not many people are going to be ready to reroll a max level character, or pay for a server transfer, and as a result even more players end up leaving. To be honest, I doubt there will even be enough players here for two high population guilds to begin with. Given the need for a larger guild in this game, I'd vote for 1 guild, and everyone who wants to play a different faction or server type should find a big public guild that matches what they want. You shouldn't be forced to play something you don't want to, but trying to cater to everyone's preferences will just lead to 3 dead guilds and 1 half dead guild before the second month is up.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
why would you want to play with goons anyway

the idea that people who only have in common to have spent ten bucks to use a forum are somehow less terrible people than the general populace is dumb as hell

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Zlodo posted:

the idea that people who only have in common to have spent ten bucks to use a forum are somehow less terrible people than the general populace is dumb as hell

It's better then teaming up with pubbies? Kinda the only reason.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Golden Goat posted:

It's better then teaming up with pubbies? Kinda the only reason.

if by better you mean as bad then yes

NormenKD
Jul 14, 2013

Zlodo posted:

if by better you mean as bad then yes

Have you seen Gamers.txt?

I would raver have mediocre raidprogress than rape "jokes" in guildchat

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Zlodo posted:

This makes sense in theory, but my experiences with goon guilds have generally been better than any I have had while grouping with or joining pubbie guilds. This is not some kind of hard rule and I cannot properly explain why this tends to happen, but I cannot just dismiss the results I have seen either.

Barack HUSSEIN
Mar 20, 2003

Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it

I guess every superhero need his theme music
I remember back during WoW launch, there were plenty in goon squad who made racist jokes and rape jokes and harassed the few female players with really awkward flirting or expressed their frustrated virginal hatred of women in the form of misogynistic "jokes." One officer would resort to demoting or gkicking the female players just to rile them up whenever his stupid remarks in guildchat weren't working.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

This is not some kind of hard rule and I cannot properly explain why this tends to happen (...)
You can publicly shame idiots in the guild in a place they're guaranteed to read? :v:

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Times changed I guess.

Every goon guild I personally played with would instantly kick people like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zlodo posted:

Because that one thing in common is usually more than the rest of the population. The only guild function I care about is the chat which keeps me occupied when the games hits a lull

• Locked thread