Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Evil Fluffy posted:

This ruling also kills those right, or do people need to mount legal challenges, cite this case, and have the courts in those states kill each law?

All struck down at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Evil Fluffy posted:

So how many states had laws on the books like Texas? This ruling also kills those right, or do people need to mount legal challenges, cite this case, and have the courts in those states kill each law?

The New York Times (paywalled) has some very handy diagrams. By my hasty count, this affects at least 25 states. (!!!!)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah it has a huge impact on Abortion rights and Women's reproductive health. I can totally see this being used against several other types of "totally not making abortion" laws that many states have.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

yeah hopefully waiting periods, ultrasounds, and doctors being forced to deliver literally false information will be knocked out by this as well

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Evil Fluffy posted:

So how many states had laws on the books like Texas? This ruling also kills those right, or do people need to mount legal challenges, cite this case, and have the courts in those states kill each law?

Technically yes, if each of those states wanted to be assholes they could continue enforcing their laws until someone filed a suit naming them specifically as a party. But it would amount to showing up in court, handing the judge a piece of paper citing this decision, and immediately winning summary judgment.

Laws that are similar but not exactly identical might require new cases though, if the states decide to defend the other provisions.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

BiohazrD posted:

yeah hopefully waiting periods, ultrasounds, and doctors being forced to deliver literally false information will be knocked out by this as well

It won't but it will strengthen their arguments against those things. Really it's now up to District Courts to say whether this ruling provides guidance on some of these other issues.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zeroisanumber posted:

All struck down at once.

Not quite. Technically speaking this was an as-applied challenge and other states can argue that as applied to their states these would be ok. They'll now lose, but they can drag it out - but no circuit but the 5th was giving them the time of day with these so they'll get stayed and then struck down.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
5th Circuit continues to be the worst circuit.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

So it does look like that the SC ruling really hinders those loving TRAP laws that pro-life people love to use. Good.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

evilweasel posted:

Not quite. Technically speaking this was an as-applied challenge and other states can argue that as applied to their states these would be ok. They'll now lose, but they can drag it out - but no circuit but the 5th was giving them the time of day with these so they'll get stayed and then struck down.

They grabbed facial relief to an as applied challenge, though

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Has Obama just not had as many chances to appoint judges to the Fifth Circuit or what?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BiohazrD posted:

Waiting periods were already affirmed. Ultrasounds have not specifically been, but there is a 99% chance they would be.

Doctor's speech restrictions have already been affirmed in lower courts, because it is "professional speech" and not personal. The Supremes haven't ruled on it yet.

#DreamCrusher

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

rkajdi posted:

As a clueless non-lawyer, what exactly does this level of severability actually buy you? Or is it just another attempt by a state to make the federal government's/court's job as hard as possible.

The hope was that as much as possible of the bill would survive legal challenge. Severability clauses are normal, they just shot for the moon. It's unknown what would have happened with a less extreme version

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Badger of Basra posted:

Has Obama just not had as many chances to appoint judges to the Fifth Circuit or what?

5th has 3 Clinton judges, 3 Obama, 6 Reagan, 6 GW Bush, 2 Carter, 2 GHW Bush, and 2 vacancies. There are 14 conservative appointments to 8 liberal and two empty seats at the moment.

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

alnilam posted:

:bahgawd: Every single word is severable so even if you separately strike down every other word then by gawd we'll still have HB2 on the books even if it contains only the word 'whereas'

"[T]he state has a compelling state interesting in protecting. . . elective abortion. . . "

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

yoctoontologist posted:

"[T]he state has a compelling state interesting in protecting. . . elective abortion. . . "

We ... su ... ck ... do ... n ... k ... e ... y ... d ... ic ... ks :v:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

ironically, a lot of asian (and particularly chinese) anti-affirmative action advocates are also against disaggregating the asian-american category, even though southeast asians indeed are much less well-off and less educated than chinese-americans\

e: here's something about the failure of a disaggregation bill in california, and a new attempt to push one forward

tl;dr dylann storm liu's are absolute fuckers

I don't know what a dylann storm liu is.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I don't know what a dylann storm liu is.

Seems like the implication is Racist Asians looking to :getin: with the racist white people?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things
Regarding Voisine, it seems like something of a problem that the Supreme Court is engaging in this sort of analysis at all. Clearly Voisine should have reasonably known that he needed to be careful with respect to guns, but I don't see how he could have reasonably known he was breaking a law when he's got two Supreme Court justices agreeing that he didn't break a law. I feel like there should be some deference to whether they could have known they were doing something illegal. Does the Department of Justice issue advisory opinions? Can I email them like "I'm considering possessing this research chemical while buying and using guns, is this something you would arrest me for?"

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

exploding mummy posted:

Are they going to take the out that McDonnell never gave any official favors to his patron so there was no quid pro quo and thus coeruption?

They took the out that arranging a meeting for someone isn't an official act.

(Which is a good interpretation, because the alternative implies that a lot of traditional constituent services are corruption.)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kalman posted:

They took the out that arranging a meeting for someone isn't an official act.

(Which is a good interpretation, because the alternative implies that a lot of traditional constituent services are corruption.)

I was speaking more on the lines of contracts/tax breaks/exemptions and not just hosting a meeting where the dude interacted with scientists and university brass as he looked at his nice new Rolex

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 27, 2016

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

exploding mummy posted:

I was speaking more on the lines of contracts/tax breaks/exemptions and not just hosting a meeting where the dude interacted with scientists and university brass as he looked at his nice new Rolex

Problem is that that isn't what he actually got convicted on honest services fraud for.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/heres-what-is-niext-in-scotus-abortion-decision

quote:

The decision Monday marked a significant win for abortion rights advocates who had argued for years that admitting privilege laws, which require abortion providers be able to access nearby hospitals, were difficult to obtain and did little to protect the health of women.

But Texas is just one of nearly a dozen states that have passed similar laws. Monday's case provides a new legal basis for challenging those laws, but doesn't mean they will automatically be struck down.

There are currently six states where similar admitting privilege laws are already being challenged in court. Nash said that she expects those cases–in Alabama, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Wisconsin–will continue to be litigated.

For four states where the laws are currently in effect–Missouri, North Dakota, Utah and Tennessee–Nash suggested new legal challenges could emerge in light of Monday's Supreme Court decision.

quote:

The court ruled that some of those requirements in Texas, which included "among other things, detailed specifications relating to the size of the nursing staff, building dimensions, and other building requirements" did "not benefit patients" and were "not necessary."

While nearly half of the states in the country have some kind of law requiring abortion clinics to meet "surgical center standards" that the Guttmacher Institute classifies as "beyond what is necessary to ensure patients’ safety," [Elizabeth Nash, the senior state issues associate at the Guttmacher Institute] argued five states have requirements as burdensome as Texas had: Michigan, Missouri, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Virginia.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kalman posted:

Problem is that that isn't what he actually got convicted on honest services fraud for.

Then he'll be convicted again with correct jury instructions.

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien
https://twitter.com/johnddavidson/status/747463316973326336

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
only if you're dumb

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

only if you're principled and consistent

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The context for it is that Texas suggested that HB2 would force actually unsafe places to shut down (alongside everyone else), protecting Women's Health. That was their response.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

only if you're dumb

I am dumb. I don't really see how that response is much different than the stupid line about "if you ban guns only criminals will have them." Like to be clear I think Texas' argument is dumb because their goal clearly isn't to shut down unsafe practices, but all of them, and that a better way to enforce safety would be to enforce actually good safety measures (which exist and are followed by the vast majority of clinics in the country).

I'm looking to be told how/why I'm wrong, to be clear, and not trying to pick a fight or defend the "banning guns is pointless" bullshit, I just don't see where "banning guns is pointless" is a bad argument where the SCOTUS' argument is a good one. I think that tweet is stupid, but I also think that line in the SCOTUS ruling is as well.

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 27, 2016

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Magres posted:

I am dumb. I don't really see how that response is much different than the stupid line about "if you ban guns only criminals will have them." Like to be clear I think their argument is dumb because their goal clearly isn't to shut down unsafe practices, but all of them, and that a better way to enforce safety would be to enforce actually good safety measures (which exist and are followed by the vast majority of clinics in the country).

The issue is there was already significant numbers of regulations and laws the guy violated and there's no real description of how these regulations would have fixed it instead of making it more illegal. For example, to use the 'ban guns' analogy: if you ban guns semi-effectively, you will reduce the number of guns in circulation and reduce the number of people who wish to use a gun in a crime because they can't get one/find it too expensive to get one. Obviously, people will dispute if a particular regulation is effective - doubly so with guns - but that's the basic point: does the regulation do something so that people who are breaking the current ones have to comply in some way, or does it just make it more illegal when the existing illegality isn't deterring the conduct? For example that goes to the death penalty deterrence argument: the death penalty is really just about making murder more illegal and there's strong evidence that doesn't work because once you're murdering someone you're not really carefully weighing it so life without parole is a risk you're willing to run but the death penalty isn't.

At a more basic level though, the issue is that there isn't a problem - this was a single guy in like a decade or two. He was an extreme, extreme case that is not at all indicative of a larger problem for those regulations to attack. He was an excuse for what we all know the regulations are deliberately designed to do: make abortion harder to get, for the sole reason that it's abortion and they aren't allowed to outright ban it.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Okay that makes more sense. My takeaway of it is essentially that there is a point to enforcing some regulations (ie basic sanitation and safety standards at clinics, or simple background checks wrt guns) but that you'll never catch every case of it, and when your existing regulations are effective enough to deter the overwhelming majority of the problem, trying to catch that last 0.001% problem is pointless. In particular when trying to catch that last 0.001% problem means placing hugely burdensome regulations on everyone following the already existing and effective regulations.

Thank you for the explanation!

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 27, 2016

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Magres posted:

The context for it is that Texas suggested that HB2 would force actually unsafe places to shut down (alongside everyone else), protecting Women's Health. That was their response.

I am dumb. I don't really see how that response is much different than the stupid line about "if you ban guns only criminals will have them." Like to be clear I think Texas' argument is dumb because their goal clearly isn't to shut down unsafe practices, but all of them, and that a better way to enforce safety would be to enforce actually good safety measures (which exist and are followed by the vast majority of clinics in the country).

I'm looking to be told how/why I'm wrong, to be clear, and not trying to pick a fight or defend the "banning guns is pointless" bullshit, I just don't see where "banning guns is pointless" is a bad argument where the SCOTUS' argument is a good one. I think that tweet is stupid, but I also think that line in the SCOTUS ruling is as well.

I'd say that follows pretty directly from the following paragraph:

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/15-274_p8k0.pdf posted:

Regardless, Gosnell’s deplorable crimes could escape detection only because his facility went uninspected for more than 15 years. Pre-existing Texas law already contained numerous detailed regulations coveringabortion facilities, including a requirement that facilities be inspected at least annually. The record contains nothing to suggest that H. B. 2 would be more effective than pre-existing Texas law at deterring wrongdoers like Gosnell from criminal behavior.

The dissent made the argument that Gosnell's actions might have been prevented through Texas's extra regulations. The majority opinion counters this by pointing out that Gosnell's actions were already illegal under existing regulations, and the reason why they went through anyways was because he wasn't inspected. In this particular context, they are entirely correct by pointing out that the additional regulations would not have made a lick of difference, since they wouldn't have made it any more likely that Gosnell's clinic would actually be inspected in the first place.

The dissent's argument is essentially akin to suggesting that you can curb street-level illegal drug trade by requiring dealers to check the ID of their customers. The central action there is already illegal, piling additional statute on top of that does not make it inherently any more likely that the dealer is caught and charged in the first place.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Another issue is that there's two types of regulations: types that target wrongdoers, and types that target lazy people. If we mandate that all surgeons wash their hands before and after surgery, we're not targeting wrongdoers - we are targeting lazy surgeons who don't want to hurt people, they just won't wash their hands unless you make them. We're not targeting someone who is intentionally trying to get people sick and so a rule where everyone has to wash their hands will make a big improvement, even if someone then intentionally infects someone.

There's other types of regulations that target people you think are intentionally going to try to break the rules, but there your goal is different: you want to make it more difficult for them to break the rules because they're required to do something that makes it obvious if they break the rules. For example, interlocks for people convicted of drunken driving - you have decided they can't be trusted not to try to drive when they are drunk, so you breathalyze them before the car can start. Or, you require banks to report all cash transactions over $10k so it's much more difficult for criminals to get dirty cash into the banking system. Things like that.

The regulations at issue here pretend they're targeting the "lazy" clinics (there are none, really). But they're seeking to justify them with an intentional wrongdoer, because they can't justify their need based on actual evidence of "lazy" clinics. But the regulations are not targeted at those wrongdoers and so they're going to do nothing there, they're just going to raise the costs of compliance for people trying to follow the law.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Laws targeting lazy vs wrongdoers also makes a lot of sense. Additionally, I am dumb and didn't read the following paragraph. Thank you for pointing it out, Perestroika! Also your new avatar is fantastic.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Magres posted:

In this case you have a state's interest against the people's collective individual constitutional rights. Constitutional rights can be restricted or in some narrow cases eliminated entirely in limited circumstances if the state can prove that its necessary to advance a very important state interest. But, the state has to prove that the law is necessary when they are restricting a constitutional right.

These TRAP laws significantly impact an individual's right to have an abortion, but they could be justified in an alternate reality where women were dying left and right from abortions performed in dangerous, unsanitary clinics run by unqualified morons. We don't live in that world though, and existing Texas law has made abortion very safe. Texas' argument is basically "but you never know, there could be a weird rogue clinic or doctor someday, we want to make super-duper EXTRA sure that abortion is safe!" The court is basically saying "nah, it seems safe enough, the microscopic theoretical improvement for women's health, if there is any at all, is outweighed by the huge impact to individual constitutional rights."

An alternate Texas argument was that the court shouldn't try to objectively determine how safe is safe enough using evidence and expert witnesses, and that they must defer to the legislature for those judgment calls weighing state interests against individual rights. the court basically said "nah, we probably shouldn't do this often, but we can step in when you imbeciles are egregiously wrong"

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Magres posted:

Laws targeting lazy vs wrongdoers also makes a lot of sense. Additionally, I am dumb and didn't read the following paragraph. Thank you for pointing it out, Perestroika! Also your new avatar is fantastic.

It's not your fault that you missed out on context when an idiot took to Twitter, a medium devoid of context, to post a snippet out of context with a really stupid interpretation of that snippet that (probably) intentionally ignores the context he found it in and then another idiot posted that without context to win sick burn points.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 27, 2016

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

yoctoontologist posted:

Huge missed opportunity for the majority here

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

evilweasel posted:

Another issue is that there's two types of regulations: types that target wrongdoers, and types that target lazy people. If we mandate that all surgeons wash their hands before and after surgery, we're not targeting wrongdoers - we are targeting lazy surgeons who don't want to hurt people, they just won't wash their hands unless you make them. We're not targeting someone who is intentionally trying to get people sick and so a rule where everyone has to wash their hands will make a big improvement, even if someone then intentionally infects someone.

There's other types of regulations that target people you think are intentionally going to try to break the rules, but there your goal is different: you want to make it more difficult for them to break the rules because they're required to do something that makes it obvious if they break the rules. For example, interlocks for people convicted of drunken driving - you have decided they can't be trusted not to try to drive when they are drunk, so you breathalyze them before the car can start. Or, you require banks to report all cash transactions over $10k so it's much more difficult for criminals to get dirty cash into the banking system. Things like that.

The regulations at issue here pretend they're targeting the "lazy" clinics (there are none, really). But they're seeking to justify them with an intentional wrongdoer, because they can't justify their need based on actual evidence of "lazy" clinics. But the regulations are not targeted at those wrongdoers and so they're going to do nothing there, they're just going to raise the costs of compliance for people trying to follow the law.
Just want to say this is a really nice explanation, even if it came in response to a dumb tweet. Thanks.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

exploding mummy posted:

Thomas's dissent in Voisine boils down to

"If a dad text messages his wife and gets into a car crash and his son is slightly injured, then under the courts ruling he can no longer legally own a firearm"

I'm totally ok with that. gently caress people who text and drive. They shouldn't be able to drive either, or I think have a cell, no guns is just the icing on the 'gently caress you, you irresponsible poo poo' cake.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

rkajdi posted:

As a clueless non-lawyer, what exactly does this level of severability actually buy you? Or is it just another attempt by a state to make the federal government's/court's job as hard as possible.
A more typical severability clause would say that each part of the act's text should be reviewed and invalidated separately. If any paragraph or clause of the act is finally found to be unenforceable, then that paragraph or clause is effectively off the books.

This one says that any provision of the act which is ruled unenforceable in a particular case nonetheless remains enforceable against the next poor sucker who comes along. It's conservative wet-dream law that no self-respecting judiciary would tolerate, so of course it ended up in this particular act.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Can someone more familiar with Casey compare the application of the undue burden standard there and in this case? Does this ruling indicate that the undue burden standard may have more teeth than it has had before?