Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ah, ok. It is a supremely lovely thing to do. But look on the bright side, maybe now local governments will rush in and shut places like this down permanently to avoid being the next one.

It's morbid but I don't think the death toll was high enough. Honestly, the Fire Marshall should be fired for his inaction, the owner should be in jail as an example and the city should hire more inspectors. Where I live this poo poo is no joke, they shut down a collective like that once and everyone was to leave immediately. The system in Oakland is clearly broken, and lovely idiots like the owner are why the systems were built to begin with. All around depressingly preventable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

MrFellow posted:

I live in Oakland, and the issue of "residential"/converted warehouses gets kind of complicated.

It's pretty well known (although anecdotal) that the city is aware that there are a lot of people living in converted warehouses that aren't up to code. The problem is that if an inspector shows up and red tags the building, the current occupants will move out, and then almost immediately the place will start to fill up with more transient residents, e.g. the homeless, or crusters, or drug enterprises. This leads to a whole different set of problems, including increased crime, blight, and general bother for the neighbors, all of which is going on in a warehouse that is still not safe for habitation. The City of Oakland has, apparently, decided to look the other way on code violations because they find the second scenario more distasteful than the first (not to mention, city services are woefully underfunded, and I'm positive that there aren't enough inspectors to cover the whole city). I'm in no way trying to slam Oakland's code and fire inspectors--I worked in a warehouse in Oakland, and whenever we pulled a permit for a fundraiser, they required us to submit a whole plan and would show up during events to make sure that we were following it.

I probably don't have to mention that the whole bay area is facing the dual problems of (1) not enough funding for a social safety net and (2) rapidly evaporating affordable housing, which leads to people living in unsafe converted buildings, which often leads to tragedy.

:smith:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Larp is bad art.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ah, ok. It is a supremely lovely thing to do. But look on the bright side, maybe now local governments will rush in and shut places like this down permanently to avoid being the next one.

Trump hates fire marshals, so...

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's weird because in my city people pay big premiums to live in lovely converted factories and warehouses.

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Regarding the Ghost Ship: as somebody who is ostensibly an artist-turned-lawyer, my two cents is that there comes a day in many a young person's life, when that young person realizes that many hippy-dippy artists with access to cool drugs are actually self-centered, unempathetic morons who have literally nothing interesting to say. The dude who ran the Ghost Ship had skated pretty hard on a wave of horseshit about artists' communes and yoga and god knows what else: the reality is that he was actually just a selfish dickhead who made money by renting out a tinderbox to partygoers, and then when those partygoers died due to his own criminal negligence, he bemoaned the loss of his tinderbox. He is lower scum than the shittiest of lovely middle managers at the most downmarket of KFC franchises: at least you can get fried chicken out of those guys.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There comes a junction in every artist's life where they either realize you can still make great art with a functional shower and real toilet, or start pissing on the floor like opossums in search of a false sense of authenticity.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

It's weird because in my city people pay big premiums to live in lovely converted factories and warehouses.

Yeah, because it costs actual money to make sure they are structurally sound, have fire suppression and adequate emergency exits.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm expecting that site to go down very soon, unless the owner is dead. :( Those pictures are a lawyer's dream.

I'm guessing some people will wish the owner was dead when he's pulling poo poo like this:

Cugel the Clever posted:

The owner's Facebook post bemoaning the loss of his 'awesome' place while the bodies were still smoldering.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's people like that that keep me in the "some people need a solid rear end kicking" group.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The Sausages posted:

I'm guessing some people will wish the owner was dead when he's pulling poo poo like this:

And like this:

http://leakyou.com/video-plenty-of-fire/

Looks like he was deliberately setting out to recreate the Station fire.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

As a person who once experienced a weekend in county jail and also hates hot weather I think I'd rather be dead than spend a minute in that tent jail. My roommate and I just had a conversation about sheriff Joe recently. I remarked that I'd like to see him locked up in that tent hell he created because everything I've ever read about the man leads me to believe that he's a corrupt, sadistic sack of poo poo. I was baffled how someone like that could stay sheriff for so long g. My roommate is an Arizona native who explained that people there love him. Something to do with the state of mind in that part of the country loves the idea of the rootin' tootin' takes no poo poo hang em all law man. I still say gently caress him. I hope he dies in the hell that he created.

I'm sure Trump will add him to his Administration any day now.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Breakfast Feud posted:

It's morbid but I don't think the death toll was high enough. Honestly, the Fire Marshall should be fired for his inaction, the owner should be in jail as an example and the city should hire more inspectors. Where I live this poo poo is no joke, they shut down a collective like that once and everyone was to leave immediately. The system in Oakland is clearly broken, and lovely idiots like the owner are why the systems were built to begin with. All around depressingly preventable.

Nah this fire is really big news nationally. They're definitely going to have to act on it so the media doesn't pick Oakland's governments bones clean

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Aesop Poprock posted:

Nah this fire is really big news nationally. They're definitely going to have to act on it so the media doesn't pick Oakland's governments bones clean

Of course said picking will ignore the root causes of why people have to live like this.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Glazier posted:

Of course said picking will ignore the root causes of why people have to live like this.

Well yeah obviously. Growing property rates and homelessness in general aren't very sexy topics

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

flosofl posted:

Yeah, because it costs actual money to make sure they are structurally sound, have fire suppression and adequate emergency exits.
This. If you convert a warehouse, it is no longer a warehouse but a condo development, and is priced accordingly. The last I saw, the Mayor of Oakland said they had to find some sort of compromise so that artists could still afford to live and work but not in total firetraps; she acknowledged that the warehouses are an important part of what remains of culture in the Bay Area. I don't know what that would be; maybe regular off-the-record visits by fire marshals saying "We'll overlook that this is not a habitable-rated place as long as you clear those exits and put in multiple stairs."

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Glazier posted:

I don't thinking anyone /has/ to live the bohemian life style the way these people were.

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Glazier posted:

Literally nobody forced this guy's hand to become an illegal sublessor who stuffs his space with the most flammable poo poo on the planet, accessible only by a stairwell made of irregular-sized chunks of kindling, the second floor/kiln secured with bolted-down windows

He's a dickhead and he has no one to blame but himself

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's people like that that keep me in the "some people need a solid rear end kicking" group.
"There are some assholes in the world that just need to be shot." -- Gen. James Mattis

TheWeepingHorse posted:

Literally nobody forced this guy's hand to become an illegal sublessor who stuffs his space with the most flammable poo poo on the planet, accessible only by a stairwell made of irregular-sized chunks of kindling, the second floor/kiln secured with bolted-down windows

Pretty sure people were talking about the artists who LIVED in this space, not the rear end in a top hat who rented it to them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
As tragic as it can sometimes end up, "is this place a fire hazard?" is often the first issue to be ignored when someone is in need of housing and there are limited options.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

TheWeepingHorse posted:

Oh I'm not defending the owner by any means, I'm talking about the people who either have to live in illegal apartments or the street. Again that's not everyone who was there but pretending the housing market in the Bay Area doesn't make places like this attractive to may people is intellectually dishonest.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Basebf555 posted:

As tragic as it can sometimes end up, "is this place a fire hazard?" is often the first issue to be ignored when someone is in need of housing and there are limited options.

Yes, but the owner had other options and didn't exercise them.

The upside of potentially hazardous squats is that you're at least not paying to be endangered. This place was less safe than many squats I've seen and yet the owner was charging $750 a month. Which I certainly understand is well below market rate, but he didn't provide $750 a month worth of safety.

We need so much more affordable housing, but I'm not holding my breath.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 02:37 on Dec 6, 2016

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I think a lot of it stems from toothless enforcement. The Fire Department knew it was a hazard years prior but did they evict everyone and fine him? Doesn't look like it. It comes to a point where the city has to decide, would we rather have people on the street or do we want a building full of propane gas lines and pallet wood? We have a building in my city that's technically a studio space for artists but I know people who live there full time. It manages to stay under the radar because it's set up and maintained in a way that assumes the building will at some point be at full capacity with people there at any point in the day. It's got an up to date fire system, adequate bathrooms and even heat! All that and no residency permits.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

AlbieQuirky posted:

the owner was charging $750 a month

Wait, seriously? Is Oaklands property market that expensive that paying $750 a month to live in essentially a squat is seen as a good deal?
gently caress, I thought the people lived there for free or just minimal 'pay the utilities' prices.
The owner needs to be charged because he had rental income coming in but did gently caress all to be a responsible landlord to those people.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Helith posted:

Wait, seriously? Is Oaklands property market that expensive that paying $750 a month to live in essentially a squat is seen as a good deal?
gently caress, I thought the people lived there for free or just minimal 'pay the utilities' prices.
The owner needs to be charged because he had rental income coming in but did gently caress all to be a responsible landlord to those people.

My dude, scammers wouldn't even list a studio in Oakland for under 1200 because it'd be too obvious.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The last time I met the person I knew who died in that fire, she said that Oakland had gotten too expensive for artists like her, and she was planning to move to Detroit.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2016/12/04/vibrant-arts-scene-put-oakland-on-the-map-but-fire-spreads-fear-of-code-crackdown/

quote:

“People are getting worried (the fire) is gonna be used against us,” said Katelyn Charvoz, of West Oakland. The 25-year-old said she’s been involved in the music/party scene since she was about 15. “The city’s gonna paint us as some ugly, crusty, punk kids that are up to no good. If they buy up all the warehouses on every street and kick everyone out, it will just hurt the arts community here.”

Pretty sure that in a major earthquake zone a requirement for working sprinkler system and working staircases in buildings people are going to inhabit is not a tool of oppression.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I feel like dying in fire hurts artists but that's just me

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

The last time I met the person I knew who died in that fire, she said that Oakland had gotten too expensive for artists like her, and she was planning to move to Detroit.

She lucked out then.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Jesus $750 for that pit? I'm paying $1700 for a 2BR in Berkeley and could have rented a studio for about $700 that actually is up to code.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
People wouldn't live in places like that if they had a decent place they could afford to live. You kick them out of there, where are they gonna go?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Imagined posted:

People wouldn't live in places like that if they had a decent place they could afford to live. You kick them out of there, where are they gonna go?

Most underpasses don't burn down I guess

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Imagined posted:

There are plenty of cities that aren't as expensive as the Bay. $750 for one month in that shithole is enough for a bus ticket somewhere where the cheap places are still safe to live in.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Phanatic posted:

There are plenty of cities that aren't as expensive as the Bay. $750 for one month in that shithole is enough for a bus ticket somewhere where the cheap places are still safe to live in.
Being the only artist in Podunk, USA is not a joyful thing. Many of the dead were also transgender or queer or otherwise unwelcome in non-urban areas.

Thermite
Aug 16, 2006

Huzzah!
No one put a gun to the head of the owner and forced him to rent the place out/host raves. He took their money and now people are dead. He should answer for that.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
transgendered artists have absolutely no choice but to pay the national median rent to live in an extremely flammable pallet-shack inside of a derelict building like a bunch of postapocalyptic vagrants

welcome to trump's america

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

transgendered artists have absolutely no choice but to pay the national median rent to live in an extremely flammable pallet-shack inside of a derelict building like a bunch of postapocalyptic vagrants

welcome to trump's america
I am glad that you have never taken a risk that other people would find unwarranted. Don't get me wrong. The guy who set this up with no exits and no paths out was an rear end in a top hat and should pay for it. It is also true that "you can't afford to live in an art-friendly area? gently caress you!" is not a useful contribution to any conversation.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
pretending like your options are 'live in Oakland' or 'live in Podunk, USA, where they will beat you to death for liking dick' is pretty entitled m8

you can get a studio in colorado springs for $50/mo less than one of those deathshacks. weed's legal there too.

e: the studio apartment includes smoke detectors

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Colorado Springs, the Western center of the Evangelical Christian movement? I'm betting somebody with the bone structure of a biological male and the clothing of a female is going to be wildly popular there.

A lot of people died. Most of them, judging by the obits so far, weren't residents of this building. They were musicians, and artists, and people who'd gone there for a party. Explaining how you would have made different choices that meant you wouldn't have died .... well, congratulations. You're not dead. They are. Explaining why it's all their fault is a coward's way of defending themselves against the fear of death. Time and chance come to us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
roll it back my dude. no one's blaming the dead, but self-righteously touting that your options are live inside of a burning garbage pit in oakland california or be lynched in the heart of the deep south is incredibly dumb, which is the part of my post that you keep ignoring. at $750 a month it isn't even particularly cheap by national studio standards; you can live in a real city that doesn't hate gays (and has artists!) or whatever for that much money per month.

although since you asked, someone with the bone structure of a male and the clothing of a female won the democratic congressional primary for CS and then pulled in a third of the vote in the general election, so