Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

PARSONS XTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEME GOLF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Please tell me that you're about to be the only person on earth that owns a set of Tour Edge irons...

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i own tour edge irons

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
How do you like them? I've hit their various woods through some club fitters and know a few people who own those, but I've never seen the irons.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ok sooooo

Oh my god these things are so pure! Miura wasn’t even on my radar. 4-PW are on the way, gotta decide if I wanna pick up a 3 iron or some other type of driving iron since I’ll be selling my Nike 2 iron. Also need to pick up another wedge as my current set has an approach wedge so I need to fill the gap between the 46 degree PW and the 54 degree vokey wedge I’ll have once I get the Miuras. Most like a 50 vokey wedge will be bought.

After finding the proper shaft, Accra iSeries Steel 125g, and going through about 10 different heads we had it narrowed down to these Miura TC-201s, Callaway Apex(don’t remember the exact model) and Taylormade 770s. The Miuras won out big time. Dispersion was outstanding, spin rate and angle of launch and angle of landing were exactly where we wanted them to be. Was carrying the 6 iron we were fitting off of 200 yards with about 10 yards of rollout.

.5” longer, 1 degree strong loft and 1 degree upright. Went with Iomic Sticky 2.3 grips in green.

Of course they were the most loving expensive but after taking into account what I’ll be able to get for my current Nikes the damage wasn’t too bad. 4-6 week wait though :( he said they won’t even fit Ping as they are 4-6 months out, something about them closing a factory in Vietnam or something.

Can’t wait to put these in my bag though. Gotta get them dialed in before my Pinehurst trip in May.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
gently caress you! Those are so drat good looking. I may have to go swing some.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm not sure I've ever seen an iron like that. It almost looks futuristic - I really dig it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kirios posted:

I'm not sure I've ever seen an iron like that. It almost looks futuristic - I really dig it.

The top down profile has a real blade look to it without actually being a blade which I love.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

BCRock posted:

How do you like them? I've hit their various woods through some club fitters and know a few people who own those, but I've never seen the irons.

dunno if i'm the girl to ask. they are very old and i bought them on craigslist for fifty dollars. i am also a terrible golfer

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Hey mattfl, buy the meaner older brother too!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Speaking of new clubs, my 915D3 was released in fall 2014 which makes it the oldest driver I've ever gamed. The rest of my set is fine, even my 915F fairways, though I need to figure out my 3 wood shaft: I've swapped between a Diamana D+ LTD 80X and Diamana B Series 80X with limited success, but I'm going to make one of them work. :colbert:

Hopefully Titleist releases new drivers in the fall.

Josh Lyman posted:

Did someone say headcover shot?

New (used) irons and 52*.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
I got golfed so bad last weekend. I got to play PGA West private Nicklaus with my brothers and absolutely shot like poo poo. Played a nice Troon property the next day and shot pretty garbage and had a really nice Reuben sandwich after the round. I had so many three puts it's sad.

I need to get my cage back up soon - I'm just having trouble with shots inside of 140 yards and outside of 140 yards and putting.

If I had the money, I might only play Troon courses. They are so nice.

Here's a shot from the Nicklaus course. Extra long pin so you can see it from the tees. ( those are both bunker shots, one from the bunker where you can see the guy and one from roughly where the pic was taken)

Infomaniac fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 25, 2021

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The wife killed(lol) this gift!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Shoutout to Kameh for the shiny new putter! Kind of a Christmas gift / new job gift to myself. Now my full bag of Cobra is complete! No idea why, but actually more excited about a new putter than I was my new driver. If anyone wants an Exo Seven in great condition let me know - happy to sell it for cheap to a goon.

Here's some sexy pics of the putter:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Oh hell yeah - E6 Connect's on sale for 199 for a year's subscription on iOS. If anyone was on the fence about it (does anyone else even use simulator software here?) I highly recommend you take advantage now. I'm never gonna leave my garage!

Anyone recommend good cheap projectors? I'd be looking to send the image from 8-12 feet away on a 4x5 display.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders

Kirios posted:

Oh hell yeah - E6 Connect's on sale for 199 for a year's subscription on iOS. If anyone was on the fence about it (does anyone else even use simulator software here?) I highly recommend you take advantage now. I'm never gonna leave my garage!

Anyone recommend good cheap projectors? I'd be looking to send the image from 8-12 feet away on a 4x5 display.

Wow is that for the full $600 or the $300 subscriptions? Either way a pretty good deal. I won't have my sim set back up for a few weeks, so I'm tempted. Thanks for the heads up.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Does anyone know how I can accurately find what shaft I have in my Vapor Fly Pro 2 iron?

https://imgur.com/a/G2CWvzH

I bought it offa ebay a little over 3 years ago and eBay only keeps the last 2 or 3 years of purchases in your history.

I want to say it was sold as a KBS Tour Stiff, I think. It's def a stiff shaft but as I'm about to sell this I kinda need to know exactly what shaft is in it. It's def not the original steel shaft that came in it, at least I don't think it is. It doesn't look like your normal steel shaft but it's def not a graphite shaft either.

edit: nevermind lol. I was able to find the purchase in my feedback history

NIKE VAPOR FLY PRO 2 IRON RORY MCILROY KBS C-TAPER 120 STIFF FLEX

mattfl fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 4, 2022

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

mattfl posted:

Does anyone know how I can accurately find what shaft I have in my Vapor Fly Pro 2 iron?

https://imgur.com/a/G2CWvzH

I bought it offa ebay a little over 3 years ago and eBay only keeps the last 2 or 3 years of purchases in your history.

I want to say it was sold as a KBS Tour Stiff, I think. It's def a stiff shaft but as I'm about to sell this I kinda need to know exactly what shaft is in it. It's def not the original steel shaft that came in it, at least I don't think it is. It doesn't look like your normal steel shaft but it's def not a graphite shaft either.

Looks like a KBS C-Taper.

edit: lol, missed the edit. There you go!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tomorrow!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
This Winter I am determined to learn to swing in to out. According to the GC-Quad, my swing is usually 3 degrees out to in. I am perplexed by this. When I correct it, I swing 3 degrees in to out, the club face follows the path, and the ball ends up dead right instead of drawing.

Then when I try to correct the face, the swing reverts to out to in, and it's a dead pull

I hate hate hate being old and trying to learn swing changes. How do you good golfers do it?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

daslog posted:

This Winter I am determined to learn to swing in to out. According to the GC-Quad, my swing is usually 3 degrees out to in. I am perplexed by this. When I correct it, I swing 3 degrees in to out, the club face follows the path, and the ball ends up dead right instead of drawing.

Then when I try to correct the face, the swing reverts to out to in, and it's a dead pull

I hate hate hate being old and trying to learn swing changes. How do you good golfers do it?

I say gently caress it and play a power fade all day every day. I can hit a draw if I absolutely need to, but otherwise I just play my natural shot and let it be.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

mattfl posted:

I say gently caress it and play a power fade all day every day. I can hit a draw if I absolutely need to, but otherwise I just play my natural shot and let it be.

I have considered this, but sometimes this leaks into a slice and I hate anything that looks like a slice. (I'm a 17 handicap)

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Sounds like great news for the LPGA. And those venues - a U.S. Open at Riviera sounds fun as hell.

https://twitter.com/zephyrmelton/status/1479487386790866950

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mattfl posted:

Same. i hit a small draw, and live with the fact that I cannot aim a fade to save my life and just play to my strength. A draw is pretty, goes a bit longer, but so many courses are setup for many, many fades. One beautiful local course is like 10 dogleg holes, all left to right.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

daslog posted:

I have considered this, but sometimes this leaks into a slice and I hate anything that looks like a slice. (I'm a 17 handicap)

Go get lessons, like one a quarter. Tell them what you want to do. At a 17 handicap you're not going to be able to make a meaningful swing change like that on your own without outside help.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Daric posted:

Go get lessons, like one a quarter. Tell them what you want to do. At a 17 handicap you're not going to be able to make a meaningful swing change like that on your own without outside help.

I can't believe you didn't recommend watching hours of youtube advice.

Seriously, the advice from some of those guys is great, but as you say, implementing that as a 17 handicapper without hands-on assistance is rough.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

daslog posted:

Is there any particular reason why you're determined to change your swing to in-to-out?

I get that it's good to be physically capable of doing that when necessary, but if your natural swing is 3* out-to-in, there's nothing about that specific thing that would prevent you from playing exceptionally good golf. As others have already mentioned - just play a fade as your "standard" shot and definitely learn how to hit the draw for when you need it.

Like Matt (and you), I have a natural out-to-in swing, especially with a driver, and I just play a fade 99% of the time. I went through a phase last year where I tried to change my "stock" swing from 2-3* out-to-in to 2-3* in-to-out, mostly just to see if I could, and it sucked. Went back to just playing the fade and my handicap finally dropped into the + territory for the first time.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
All good advice. Thanks guys.

I do to have about 4 lessons a year with a good coach, and he also tells me the embrace the fade :)

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Same concept as them, but worse golfer (8.2 currently). I've gotten much better results by just learning to play my natural draw. I still can't reliably fade the ball - when I do it's more of a slice, but as long as you have a repeatable swing, right or left, you can still play great.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I would kill a man to have a handicap less than 20

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

MustardFacial posted:

I went from mid 20s to as low as a 16 over the past three years. All it took was getting 4 or 5 lessons a year, 2 visits a week to the driving range, 1 visit a week to the putting green (only practice lag puts and 4 footers). Now I can break 90 on a somewhat regular basis.

People will say it's all about the short game, but they are wrong. It's really about being good enough off the tee and with your irons to hit 6 greens in reg. If you can do that, you will have good enough scores to break 90. Now, if you want to go even lower, then yes the putting game becomes more important.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

MustardFacial posted:

As weird as his content is sometimes, the golfsidekick youtube guy did wonders for my mental game this past summer. I went from averaging ~115 on 18 holes to having half a dozen rounds in the low 90s, just changing the way I approached shots.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
What a playa

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Trying to change your natural swing shot shape is a great way to ruin your game and introduce a two way miss. Rahm, Koepka, DJ, plus many others all play a fade and rarely try to shape shots barring times where a fade isn't playable. I also think too many people think out to in swing = bad player or hacker and get too focused on trying to hit in to out. 3 degrees out to in is pretty minimal and unless you're dead set on having a draw as a stock shot, taking lessons to learn to control the fade and reducing the big misses/slices off the planet would likely help your scores more than trying to start going the other way. I play a fade because its easier on my shoulders due to a dumb chronic muscle strain and trying to draw it aggravates the injury if I try to do it too much, so I just decided to fade it and use ball position to get more draw/straighter flight if I need it, which is honestly pretty rare. I'm only a 11-12 cap though.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Guys!!!!

https://imgur.com/a/U9Netnj

They are so good looking I don’t even wanna hit them lol

But, 9:30 tee time so I gotta go!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

feel like i can smell this 🥰

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I feel like you could justify iron headcovers with those.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kirios posted:

:chloe:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kirios posted:

No, bad Kirios, bad

Trip report!

New irons are awesome! My putting not so much, backyard putting green gets installed next week so practice will be happening. Gonna take a few rounds to really get them dialed in but super happy with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Sexy irons and nice rounds dude.