Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Gumball Gumption posted:

That feels like it just makes the game not Geist.
It's a glib response but this is a clue that it's a step in the right direction. Like, as someone that carried a torch for that mediocre hodge podge of better ideas from better lines for far too long: Geist needs a second edition that pivots to such a degree that it makes the changes Promethean underwent from 1>2e look like minor errata. You're playing vampires who don't drink blood, held in check by their inner Beast getting a sidebar that says "sometimes you might get too thirsty and not want to stop!" with no Frenzy mechanics or Predatory Aura mechanics or anything of the sort. You're werewolves without Renown and the tribal imprimatur to police spiritual imbalance. At worst you're a Hunter game telling stories with either the same types of NPCs every session OR bizarre one-offs, and whose endgame is getting low-end Mage powers.

Give Geists something resembling the Touchstones of 2e Vampire, a streamlining of Keys and Manifestations that falls somewhere between the dictionary of Promethean power terms and Werewolf's whole Whatever, and for the love of god Montresor make it about the thing getting top-billing in your gat dang title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The move from Promethean 1E to 2E didn't decide that you are an entirely different monster from the first book and tossed out everything that the first book has. Really the most Geist needs is a rework of the powers to tone some down and make them a little less narrow in what they can do and give your Geist more mechanics to enforce their motives. Something like rage mechanics would work for that.

The rest of it works well. Sin-Eaters are interesting characters, they have motives, they have antagonists, and they have reasons to do the things they do.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Ferrinus posted:

I'm pretty sure Exalted came first.

no, you're thinking of ur mum

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
If each sin-eater's geist got a bigger club with which to force its host to obey its dictates but sin-eaters as a whole remained a light dusting of aesthetically-related but ultimately purposeless monads, you'd just have turned Geist into Beast.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

All this ghost chat is making me really wish Wraith 20 was out. Wraith was always my favorite oWoD game, so I was super excited when Geist came out.

It seemed like a pretty neat idea, but the total lack of support it got was pretty unfortunate. Hearing that there is a book about Ghosts after all makes me want to pick that up. I just wish Geist wasn't such a mess regardless.

Spector29
Nov 28, 2016

So, the Mages ran across a Demon in the middle of some issues. Over the course of explaining the situation, as well as an Angel dropping in to ask if the Mages would help her instead, the Mages decided to help out the Demon Mr. Veils.

One of my players, who read the Demon book, asked for a Pact. Considering that they were PCs and that their friends and family were...mutable at best, what would you have done in my situation?

What I did was that I gave them penalties to their attributes symbolizing what they gave up. Moros gave up some of her raw physical presence (-1 Presence) to get a boost to refined Expression. Mastigos gave up a very sentimental token (-1 Composure) to get access to a Space Arcana mentor.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Spector29 posted:

So, the Mages ran across a Demon in the middle of some issues. Over the course of explaining the situation, as well as an Angel dropping in to ask if the Mages would help her instead, the Mages decided to help out the Demon Mr. Veils.

One of my players, who read the Demon book, asked for a Pact. Considering that they were PCs and that their friends and family were...mutable at best, what would you have done in my situation?

What I did was that I gave them penalties to their attributes symbolizing what they gave up. Moros gave up some of her raw physical presence (-1 Presence) to get a boost to refined Expression. Mastigos gave up a very sentimental token (-1 Composure) to get access to a Space Arcana mentor.

Definitely seems like the demon got the better part of the deal.

I'm pretty sure I would have tried to give them a pact, but that doesn't seem like they really had much to give up. It should be fairly easy for them to adjust to that and get away with it because magic. Depending on how high the mentor helps them get, it might be better for the mage anyway.

I'm going through Spirit spells and what's the deal with all the "Add Death or Mind" stuff? You shouldn't need Spirit to deal with ghosts or goetia, you should just need Death or Mind? It seems off a bit, or maybe it's just the wording?

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Spector29 posted:

I'd have had the Demon not give them a Pact if he knew they were Mages, because Demons blow up if they try to Pact other supernatural creatures, and can't even get anything supernatural. If he didn't know they were Mages, I'd have had him tear the loving Pact up after taking their Gnosis in aggravated damage upon it being signed, and then loving off into the wilderness before they get him killed. Otherwise, I'd have just used the actual Pact rules and probably given them a persistent Condition to represent the loss.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Spector29 posted:

Somebody's been playing Fallen London.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Doodmons posted:

I'd have had the Demon not give them a Pact if he knew they were Mages, because Demons blow up if they try to Pact other supernatural creatures, and can't even get anything supernatural. If he didn't know they were Mages, I'd have had him tear the loving Pact up after taking their Gnosis in aggravated damage upon it being signed, and then loving off into the wilderness before they get him killed. Otherwise, I'd have just used the actual Pact rules and probably given them a persistent Condition to represent the loss.
They only take aggravated damage if they try to collect on a soul pact; more limited ones where they're just asking for mundane experiences don't trigger that.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So is there a 1e to 2e conversion guide? Theres a ton of antagonists and setting rules id love to use for my upcoming game but I don't know exactly how to translate it over.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

There's a God Machine rule revision guide, if that's what you mean. You can get it free on DTRPG

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Basic Chunnel posted:

There's a God Machine rule revision guide, if that's what you mean. You can get it free on DTRPG

I have the god-machine chronicle and mage 2e already, I was more thinking of some kind of fan guide for converting over some of the old antagonist stuff from banishers/seers and the setting stuff from the astral realms/book of the dead and other stuff like that

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

LordAbaddon posted:

I have the god-machine chronicle and mage 2e already, I was more thinking of some kind of fan guide for converting over some of the old antagonist stuff from banishers/seers and the setting stuff from the astral realms/book of the dead and other stuff like that

That should all be really pretty easy. All antagonists would be missing is Yantra, Praxes, Nimbus Tilt, and a Defense update. And you can easily give them generic or not numbers for that. Setting stuff from Astral Realms shouldn't be a problem at all. There's no real limit to what you want to toss into the Astral, so personally, I'm going to just use it. I don't remember BotD as well, but you shouldn't have any issues using the setting info from that either.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Spector29 posted:

I would rule that you either trade off something significant enough to have mechanical weight, ie trading a Merit for something of equivalent value, or you get a "Dissonance" condition that prevents you from getting Experience until you pay off whatever you got from the pact. Basically I wouldn't want a Demon to show up be a free Skill and Merit machine.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

NGDBSS posted:

They only take aggravated damage if they try to collect on a soul pact; more limited ones where they're just asking for mundane experiences don't trigger that.

*checks book again* Huh, so they do. I have learned a thing.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I would rule that you either trade off something significant enough to have mechanical weight, ie trading a Merit for something of equivalent value, or you get a "Dissonance" condition that prevents you from getting Experience until you pay off whatever you got from the pact. Basically I wouldn't want a Demon to show up be a free Skill and Merit machine.

I maintain that any Demon who's clued in to the situation would probably want to avoid associating with Mages. They're too much of a liability - especially since every single Mage with the Destiny Merit counts as mobile Infrastructure and Demons can presumably detect this with their inherent Unseen Sense: God-Machine.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Can a demon subvert a mage's infrastructure and if so what would happen if they did?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

More importantly, mages love to poke their noses into mysteries.

A demon is a mystery that, if solved, rapidly is put in danger.

Spector29
Nov 28, 2016

The Demon is only around at all because none of the Mages have Destiny, and it's worried it's on the verge of being caught. So when Veils saw that Mages were poking around, he took a gamble.

XP Dissonance is a pretty good idea though.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Somebody's been playing Fallen London.
I actually made and am playing a Savage Worlds Fallen London game. It's a setting I enjoy quite a bit.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Spector29 posted:

I actually made and am playing a Savage Worlds Fallen London game. It's a setting I enjoy quite a bit.

I would pay money for a Fallen London setting bible, because yeah, it's great, but the computer game(s) that use it are awful.

Spector29
Nov 28, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I would pay money for a Fallen London setting bible, because yeah, it's great, but the computer game(s) that use it are awful.

If you follow the IRC, they're helpful in question answering. The Community put this together:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CpnhakUKxFeXzONYyccrrWhvc7kZeIK4q7gcEtK6sQo/edit#heading=h.j351djrsqj4f

...which was pretty helpful.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Mors Rattus posted:

More importantly, mages love to poke their noses into mysteries.

A demon is a mystery that, if solved, rapidly is put in danger.

As my group and I have interpreted, a mage is not a human, at least as far as compromises are concerned. So a mage unraveling the demon's mystery is not itself dangerous. They are a ticking timebomb just waiting for a sleeper to share with though.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
I'd count Mages as humans, myself. There's in-setting reasons why this would be, but the big reason is "It lets them gently caress things up for everyone even more", and if Mages need anything, it's more reasons for other supernatural creatures to hate them.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mages are human because metaphysically speaking, if they aren't, everything is hosed up and bullshit. :colbert:

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
I'd put mages in a gray area between human and not human as far as the God-Machine's surveillance infrastructure is concerned. The higher the mage's gnosis the less reliable the God-Machine's ability is to keep tabs on them and scan their interactions for demon shenanigans. So mages whose gnosis is low enough to not futz with infrastructure too much would cause compromise but I'd add a bonus to the roll.

I treat it this way in my game, not that my players actually knew this until now. Not that it matters, Daeren is really good at keeping good op-sec.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Rubix Squid posted:

I'd put mages in a gray area between human and not human as far as the God-Machine's surveillance infrastructure is concerned. The higher the mage's gnosis the less reliable the God-Machine's ability is to keep tabs on them and scan their interactions for demon shenanigans. So mages whose gnosis is low enough to not futz with infrastructure too much would cause compromise but I'd add a bonus to the roll.

I treat it this way in my game, not that my players actually knew this until now. Not that it matters, Daeren is really good at keeping good op-sec.

I have to be with how clown shoes the rest of the players are.

Though I do thoroughly enjoy the dynamic where 5/6ths of the players are playing a game somewhere between Bourne and Bond, and when I'm not curbing their most directly suicidal ideas (or begrudgingly carrying a smart one out) I'm desperately juggling chainsaws to make sure that you don't bring the sky falling down on all our heads.

E: to give an idea, two sessions ago one of our players who won't be named even though they post in this thread casually/unthinkingly mentioned how annoying fights were outside of their demonic form...while fighting a bunch of robots with camera feeds operated by a PMC that is comprised top-to-bottom of fanatical God-Machine assets. They luckily did not fail the ensuing compromise roll, or I'd probably have just shot them.

Not that that'd have done much but annoy the character in question, but hey.

Daeren fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 19, 2017

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
One of my Demon players met a couple of Mages in a bar, casually explained what he is, what the God-Machine is and what's going on, passed the Compromise roll and gave them a business card. Meanwhile the rest of the Ring were either getting laid and soul pacting a police superintendent (Tempter) or shooting holes in the walls of Belmarsh Prison (Saboteurs)

So vaguely the plot in my game is that the God-Machine has managed to infiltrate the British Government and take out the Agency who had decided to make it their full-time job to stop that from happening. A state of emergency has been declared, the God-Machine is using the Security Services and the Special Reconnaissance Regiment to ice people and it's decided to roll up Deva Corporation once and for all leading to a shadow war between Deva Corp External Assets, who are trying to get high-ranking members of the cult safely out of the country, and God-Machine controlled intelligence assets and cultists who are trying to kill everyone in Deva Corp.

Amidst this background, things which have happened in London in the past 48 hours:

A big explosion at the London Eye, which disabled it. Obvious terrorist attack.
A huge Merciless-Gunman-and-Hellfire-Rounds firefight between Demons, police, special forces and Deva Corp assets on the motorway.
Explosions and gunfire at Belmarsh Prison, which really looks like an attempted prison break. There are now giant holes in the ceilings of the secure wing. (Belmarsh Prison aka UK Guantanamo is the ultra-max national security prison for super criminals.)
Enormous gunfight and explosions at Deva Corporation's London branch, with total casualties in the low hundreds. Blamed by the government on an attempted biological weapons attack by Deva.
Explosion at the National Surveillance Centre, destroying all of their servers which both disables much of the camera surveillance in London and wipes the archived records.
Security Services agents shot dead in a police station in Peckham.
Sniper attacks on SRR squad in central London.
Deva Corp executives stabbed to death in police holding cells.
Cars full of armed Deva Corporation security (super illegal in the UK) arrested by armed police.

The tagline of the game isn't 'Go Big Or Go Home' but sheeeeeiiiit, it may as well be.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Project Louisiana is about to be revealed. Doesn't seem very WoD, but you guys know it better than I do and maybe they'll reveal more. Or did they start this one before Fall 2015?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It's unrelated to the WoD as far as I know.

If it actually is, clearly it's a game set in 19th Century America dealing with the rise of a methuselah. Clearly.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Daeren posted:

I have to be with how clown shoes the rest of the players are.

Though I do thoroughly enjoy the dynamic where 5/6ths of the players are playing a game somewhere between Bourne and Bond, and when I'm not curbing their most directly suicidal ideas (or begrudgingly carrying a smart one out) I'm desperately juggling chainsaws to make sure that you don't bring the sky falling down on all our heads.

E: to give an idea, two sessions ago one of our players who won't be named even though they post in this thread casually/unthinkingly mentioned how annoying fights were outside of their demonic form...while fighting a bunch of robots with camera feeds operated by a PMC that is comprised top-to-bottom of fanatical God-Machine assets. They luckily did not fail the ensuing compromise roll, or I'd probably have just shot them.

Not that that'd have done much but annoy the character in question, but hey.

To be fair, that character is also the only reason you survived the ensuing robot explosion from one of those same robots. Who needs caution when you can facetank a nuclear strike?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Kavak posted:

Project Louisiana is about to be revealed. Doesn't seem very WoD, but you guys know it better than I do and maybe they'll reveal more. Or did they start this one before Fall 2015?

Yeah, it's clearly related to their isoRPG Pillars of Eternity, most likely a sequel.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

And PoE 2 was already confirmed to be in development, so that settles it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Pillars of Eternity also has opinions on Gods, so the teaser image could be that.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Werewolf: the Apocalypse video game announced, to be made by Cyanide, the guys who did Styx: Master of Shadows and the Blood Bowl video game.

e: Also we're sticking with WHEN WILL YOU RAGE as our tagline, because of course we are

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Call of Cthulhu had the player move like a snail crossing molasses and Blood Bowl was super buggy and had a horrible UI. Not exactly enthused by this but we'll see how it goes.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

=/

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Oh well now you edited it and my comment makes no sense at all. Still, not exactly the most inspiring portfolio.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Project Louisiana was always PoE2. The project that Cain and Boyarski are working on is not Louisiana, it's their other unannounced project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Axelgear posted:

I'd count Mages as humans, myself. There's in-setting reasons why this would be, but the big reason is "It lets them gently caress things up for everyone even more", and if Mages need anything, it's more reasons for other supernatural creatures to hate them.

I endorse this message!