Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Walrus Pete posted:

Again, that's an interface issue. And sure, lockpicking and hacking are less essential than the other ones I listed, but if you ignore the very boring "+X% <weapon> accuracy and damage" perks in favor of stuff like bloody mess or terrifying presence, you're essentially being penalized for choosing fun over numbers. Now, if they dare to dream and make your character have some default competence with weapons, this becomes much less of a problem. But I suspect it'll be just like FO3/NV where if you don't invest the points, you might as well not even have the gun.

Perks used to be just that, perks. Extras, bonuses. When you mix them in with the baseline skill system, there's very little reason to choose what used to be perks over what used to be skills.

Well, if your gunplay is perfectly fine without taking the related perks, then they are perks. They're making you a little bit better for the cost of a perk point, but if they aren't -necessary- then they're still 'Perks'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
Will Fallout 4 support looking up skirts with the Oculus Rift?

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

JackBadass posted:

3 had that one you could get from the survival guide quest where you regrew limbs when you got irradiated. Things like that?

Yeah, although I felt that that was one of the things missing from the series as a whole. It would be much more fun to have the consequences of living in a hazardous environment be represented on your character - perks are always framed in terms of doing something positive rather than having negative consequences or ambiguous consequences. Maybe by becoming addicted to Psycho you lose 1 point of intelligence permanently, but you are able to continue to derive the combat bonuses. I was really looking forward to having my characters appearance changed in this way, but the series didn't deliver and I had to use mods to have fun that way. Principally by RPing a ghoul. Which was awesome. Still sore that Underworld was so underwhelming.

I feel that fallout should be as much about fighting the environment to preserve what skills/resources you have already as about developing new ones and becoming ultra proficient. This is where bionics could come in too - repairing damage sustained from the environment (say your vision is damaged by acid - replace your eyes with :psylon: etc.)

Flaky fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 2, 2015

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Magmarashi posted:

Well, if your gunplay is perfectly fine without taking the related perks, then they are perks. They're making you a little bit better for the cost of a perk point, but if they aren't -necessary- then they're still 'Perks'

Yeah, but try using a gun in Fallout 3 or New Vegas without investing skill points into guns. You'll have a hell of a time hitting anything, and when you do it won't be for much damage. I'd be surprised if FO4's guns work any differently.

7c Nickel posted:

That sounds like a criticism of the balance rather than a criticism of the system. And considering you don't actually have any idea of the balance it seems like you're being unnecessarily negative.

Maybe. But how do you balance stuff like Confirmed Bachelor, or Terrifying Presence, or Bloody Mess? Those existed mostly for flavor, and when they cost the same perk point as +25% gun damage or whatever, they become a lot less appealing.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Walrus Pete posted:

Yeah, but try using a gun in Fallout 3 or New Vegas without investing skill points into guns. You'll have a hell of a time hitting anything, and when you do it won't be for much damage. I'd be surprised if FO4's guns work any differently.

Maybe. But how do you balance stuff like Confirmed Bachelor, or Terrifying Presence, or Bloody Mess? Those existed mostly for flavor, and when they cost the same perk point as +25% gun damage or whatever, they become a lot less appealing.

If we assume they can't do anything right, then they won't do anything right!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Walrus Pete posted:

Confirmed Bachelor +20% any damage to males
Terrifying Presence 25% chance of an enemy fleeing in terror after you kill something near it
Bloody Mess +10% any damage against everything, plus gore fun

frajaq fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 2, 2015

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Flaky posted:

Yeah, although I felt that that was one of the things missing from the series as a whole. It would be much more fun to have the consequences of living in a hazardous environment be represented on your character - perks are always framed in terms of doing something positive rather than having negative consequences or ambiguous consequences. Maybe by becoming addicted to Psycho you lose 1 point of intelligence permanently, but you are able to continue to derive the combat bonuses. I was really looking forward to having my characters appearance changed in this way, but the series didn't deliver and I had to use mods to have fun that way. Principally by RPing a ghoul. Which was awesome. Still sore that Underworld was so underwhelming.

That kind of system would work excellently in a system like Skyrim had where your character developed by doing things versus the system Fallout has where you level up and dump points where you want. Not that it couldn't work there, too, but it'd be more of a seamless addition.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Walrus Pete posted:

Well, they completely redid the gunplay with the help of sources from iD and Bungie so, no, i really doubt it'll be the exact same deal as before hand?

This is a thing we know already.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
But then this goes back to Fallout really being about the wasteland environment, which apparently some people just cant deal with. They simply must have their hands held and be told exactly what to do at all times to have fun.

Forunately the one true Fallout mod - Fallout: Wanderers Edition - lets you do just that.

Remember how fun/scary Wheaton armoury was?

Flaky fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 2, 2015

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Magmarashi posted:

Well, they completely redid the gunplay with the help of sources from iD and Bungie so, no, i really doubt it'll be the exact same deal as before hand?

Just like they made Skyrim in an all-new engine, or how Fallout 3 won't have problematic level scaling? I'll believe it when I see it.

frajaq posted:

Confirmed Bachelor +20% any damage to males
Terrifying Presence 25% chance of an enemy fleeing in terror after you kill something near it
Bloody Mess +10% any damage against everything, plus gore fun

Okay, I picked some bad examples. But there are plenty of perks in the previous games that had no relation to combat whatsoever. Should everything have a combat benefit strapped to it, whether it makes sense or not? Or should there be a lot fewer perks?

Or maybe having skills and perks be clearly separate things is a good idea??

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 2, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Walrus Pete posted:

Just like they made Skyrim in an all-new engine, or how Fallout 3 won't have problematic level scaling? I'll believe it when I see it.

Why would they lie about getting help from other studios

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Flaky posted:

But then this goes back to Fallout really being about the wasteland environment, which apparently some people just cant deal with. They simply must have their hands held and be told exactly what to do at all times to have fun.

Their loss. At least they have their perfect game.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

frajaq posted:

For the exact same reason they spun bullshit about the other things I mentioned - it's a thing people have complained about, and claiming to have improved it makes them look good.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

frajaq posted:

Because T.Howard is the Prince of all lies I guess? I can't follow half the twisted logic around 90% of the conversations that take place in this thread anymore.

Walrus Pete posted:

For the exact same reason they spun bullshit about the other things I mentioned - it's a thing people have complained about, and claiming to have improved it makes them look good.

Literally lying about the involvement of other companies is a thing they could get taken to court for, though, by those companies. Be reasonable.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Magmarashi posted:

Because T.Howard is the Prince of all lies I guess? I can't follow half the twisted logic around 90% of the conversations that take place in this thread anymore.

Painting Todd Howard as the devil and/or the source of all untruth is fun and all, but Bethesda actually do have a history of spouting utter bullshit about their games pre-release. They are, at best, Molyneux-esque.

Magmarashi posted:

Literally lying about the involvement of other companies is a thing they could get taken to court for, though, by those companies. Be reasonable.

I'm almost completely positive that they didn't consult with Bungie; it was "former Bungie employees" or "some people who worked on Destiny" or something. And Zenimax owns both Bethesda and id, so there's no possible threat of legal action there.

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 2, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

:allears:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Walrus Pete posted:

Painting Todd Howard as the devil and/or the source of all untruth is fun and all, but Bethesda actually do have a history of spouting utter bullshit about their games pre-release. They are, at best, Molyneux-esque.

I'm almost completely positive that they didn't consult with Bungie; it was "former Bungie employees" or "some people who worked on Destiny" or something. And Zenimax owns both Bethesda and id, so there's no possible threat of legal action there.

Ok, this should be fun. Please link to something you feel qualifies as a good example of "utter bullshit" spouted by Bethesda.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Walrus Pete posted:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

all the gunplay they showed were cuts of vats kills or short 5 second clips of shooting at people running towards them/standing still. i'm hoping they've improved the shooting but they haven't released any videos that makes it look any better than fo3/nv.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Roobanguy posted:

all the gunplay they showed were cuts of vats kills or short 5 second clips of shooting at people running towards them/standing still. i'm hoping they've improved the shooting but they haven't released any videos that makes it look any better than fo3/nv.

I just hope they have a few guns that don't look like this. So far, I haven't seen any.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

JackBadass posted:

I just hope they have a few guns that don't look like this. So far, I haven't seen any.

yeah, i really dislike the way the assault rifle looks. the new 10mm pistol looks neat though.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Nice, now you're forced to take a dump stat tax if you want to do a Melee run and double taxed if you want to do an Unarmed run.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Father Wendigo posted:

Nice, now you're forced to take a dump stat tax if you want to do a Melee run and double taxed if you want to do an Unarmed run.

what?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

He wants someone to take a dump on him, stat

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

7c Nickel posted:

Ok, this should be fun. Please link to something you feel qualifies as a good example of "utter bullshit" spouted by Bethesda.

http://www.pcgamer.com/confirmed-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-will-use-an-entirely-new-engine/

see also most of what they said about radiant AI leading up to Oblivion's release

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Dandywalken posted:

He wants someone to take a dump on him, stat

I can do that. I'll even throw in a dick sucking for free.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

JackBadass posted:

I can do that. I'll even throw in a dick sucking for free.

you need a perk for that first

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

frajaq posted:

you need a perk for that first

Trust me, my penis handling stat is maxed.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Walrus Pete posted:

http://www.pcgamer.com/confirmed-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-will-use-an-entirely-new-engine/

see also most of what they said about radiant AI leading up to Oblivion's release

Please don't go back to the "engine" debate, it's just ignorant and retarded.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Bholder posted:

Please don't go back to the "engine" debate, it's just ignorant and retarded.

More or less than "Fallout3/NV is better than NV/Fallout3!"?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Was Successful Game That Made Bethesda Loads of Money better than Successful Game That Made Bethesda Loads of Money? Stay tuned in this thread

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Skyrim does not use Gamebryo. You can tell this because unlike Fallout 3 and New Vegas, they don't list Gamebryo in the credits. If you want to argue they are lying in the credits, you are arguing that a hugely successful company is willing to risk losing millions and millions of dollars in a lawsuit in order to impress the kinds of nerds who actually care about engines.

Please try again, and also please link to something specific.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 2, 2015

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Walrus Pete posted:

Yeah if you don't realize that Bethesda is at times Molyneux-level full of poo poo you haven't been paying attention. There is evidence in the code that the Skyrim engine is simply a modified Gamebryo.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

big mean giraffe posted:

Yeah if you don't realize that Bethesda is at times Molyneux-level full of poo poo you haven't been paying attention. There is evidence in the code that the Skyrim engine is simply a modified Gamebryo.

Gamebryo is owned by the Korean company Gamebase Co., Ltd. You should probably ring them up and let them see this evidence. Or maybe you should just admit you don't know poo poo about engines.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 2, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

Gamebryo is owned by the Korean company Gamebase Co., Ltd. You should probably ring them up and let them see this evidence. Or you should probably admit you don't know poo poo about engines.

But... but... if you look at the code...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"I can't define Gamebryo, but I know it when I see it"- Me, as I pick up a fork, causing every physics object on the table to rise one inch into the air

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

A cool thing about Skyrim was that it wasn't designed to be played at 60+ FPS so if you do the physics engines freaks out and objects literally start floating away because gravity doesn't work anymore. CHIM.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Alain Post posted:

"I can't define Gamebryo, but I know it when I see it"- Me, as I pick up a fork, causing every physics object on the table to rise one inch into the air

that is Havok YOU SHITLORD

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

We all know that Skyrim was secretly made in the Unreal engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

JackBadass posted:

We all know that Skyrim was secretly made in the Unreal engine.

Yeah, it's UNREAL the game doesn't fly apart at the first hurdle.

• Locked thread