Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Also, number of felonies with political motivation in Germany:

Upper two bars are right-wing felonies, lower bars are left-wing ones

Yes, very nice and true and all, but the overrepresentation of the far right is almost exclusively in non-violent crimes (the left-wing is actually more violent). Crimes like holocaust denialism or perhaps writing something negative about Muslims on the internet and so on.

For your average Joe/Jürgen/Hans assaulting someone because they have different political opinions is not an effective PR tool. Yes, I know (or at least have been given the reason to believe) the left rationalizes this by saying the nazis COULD be more violent soon, you see it's just around the corner hence it's justified to meet wrong opinions or "violence towards your feelings or political beliefs" with real physical violence (against people or against, say, store windows and buses) but for an average European taxpayer, this just sounds bad and is not going to sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Blut posted:

And this is exactly why anti-fascists come across as petulant teenagers throwing tantrums almost all of the time.

Why engage in the democratic process like an adult, and actually try to change things, when instead you can instead sit on the sidelines assaulting people, calling right-wing parties nazis and left wing parties collaborators? :rolleyes:
So long as I'm not personally and directly inconvenienced, why can't we all get along! People should stop complaining and try to move forward as a nation!

Forgive me if I don't find that much common ground with people who are perfectly content to smear whole groups for the purpose of electoral gain, while simultaneously providing nothing of substance. Nor with the people who tell me I'm throwing a tantrum as they stand there to ostensibly defend the democratic process while they engage in ostrich behaviour and hide behind facile appeals to non-violence when it becomes slightly scary. If navel gazing and equivocating is what passes for "left wing parties" today it's little wonder they're continuing their slide into irrelevance.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Ligur posted:

Uhh, ok, who in Europe is calling for deaths and wants to abolish democracy and so on?

It seems like I haven't been following or something. Well, I guess I actually haven't for a year or two.

Geert Wilders in the Netherlands, by saying that dirty Syrians fleeing the war need to stay in their own drat country. Also, his election platform is literally a single page with bullet points that is for at least 50% completely illegal. For example, he wants things like banning the Quran (he said that if Mein Kampf is banned, the Quran should also be banned, because banning books is bad :lol:) and go into people's houses to see if they dont secretly have one.

Also, anyone who opposes him is called fake, so we have a fake parliament and fake judges and fake media.

But hey, i guess you're right, he doesnt literally say ''abolish democracy'' so he is just a fine upstanding citizen.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
* smashes window *

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Namarrgon posted:

You can't really argue and debate with people not interested in debating. See Trump as a case study. So at what point should you stop trying? After they take over the legitimate government? This is a legit question and I don't know the answer to it.

Trump's win consisted of 63 million votes. That's 63 million individuals. I'm sure not every single one of them was disinterested in debating. Millions could have been persuaded to vote differently, if they were engaged somehow. I don't know how exactly - it's a huge and complicated issue but you can't dismiss it with a simple "they were not interested in debating".

Hambilderberglar posted:

Forgive me if I don't find that much common ground with people who are perfectly content to smear whole groups

Hambilderberglar posted:

There's a word for people like you, you know.
"Collaborator".

:rolleyes:

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Ligur posted:

Yes, very nice and true and all, but the overrepresentation of the far right is almost exclusively in non-violent crimes (the left-wing is actually more violent). Crimes like holocaust denialism or perhaps writing something negative about Muslims on the internet and so on.

For your average Joe/Jürgen/Hans assaulting someone because they have different political opinions is not an effective PR tool. Yes, I know (or at least have been given the reason to believe) the left rationalizes this by saying the nazis COULD be more violent soon, you see it's just around the corner hence it's justified to meet wrong opinions or "violence towards your feelings or political beliefs" with real physical violence (against people or against, say, store windows and buses) but for an average European taxpayer, this just sounds bad and is not going to sell.

I'm sure these ten attacks a day on refugees last year were more than equally matched by violent leftists.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

9-Volt Assault posted:

Geert Wilders in the Netherlands, by saying that dirty Syrians fleeing the war need to stay in their own drat country. Also, his election platform is literally a single page with bullet points that is for at least 50% completely illegal. For example, he wants things like banning the Quran (he said that if Mein Kampf is banned, the Quran should also be banned, because banning books is bad :lol:) and go into people's houses to see if they dont secretly have one.

Also, anyone who opposes him is called fake, so we have a fake parliament and fake judges and fake media.

But hey, i guess you're right, he doesnt literally say ''abolish democracy'' so he is just a fine upstanding citizen.

Ok, so has Wilders really said Syrians should literally stay in Syria, or, has he said they should not come to the Netherlands but instead perhaps re-locate to neighbouring countries instead?

Anyway not everything is completely black or white, or 0 or 100 with nothing in between. I don't think Geert Wilders wants to kill people or abolish democracy, but I don't think he is "just a fine updstanding citizen" either.

(Banning books is stupid, yes.)

This came about when quadribazillion young Arab men suddenly entered the country in 2016 and isn't a normal situation by far, you understand this yes? The attackers might also be stupid loving thugs who are pissed (I've read about simply fights between locals and foreigners as tensions flare), not only organized "nazis" or "right-wingers".

quote:

According to the ministry, there were more than 3,500 attacks on refugees and asylum hostels

Guess who are the most common attackers when refugee and asylum hostels are involved in Finland? Other refugees. I won't start googling not but I've read the same of Germany, Sweden and on. Asylum seekers get into fights out of frustration, Christian and Muslim refugees don't get along any better in cramped asylum centers than they did where they came from and thus forth.

So until there is some solid data on that it is certain the perps in these 10 attacks a day were "right-wingers" I wouldn't really bring that stat much when discussing political felonies in Europe.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 27, 2017

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

I forgot. Being anti-nazi means I have to be held to a higher standard by liberals, because calling people collaborators is basically quoting Der Sturmer.
If my eyes roll any harder they might pop out of my head entirely.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Ligur posted:

Ok, so has Wilders really said Syrians should literally stay in Syria, or, has he said they should not come to the Netherlands but instead perhaps re-locate to neighbouring countries instead?

Anyway not everything is completely black or white, or 0 or 100 with nothing in between. I don't think Geert Wilders wants to kill people or abolish democracy, but I don't think he is "just a fine updstanding citizen" either.

(Banning books is stupid, yes.)

This came about when quadribazillion young Arab men suddenly entered the country in 2016 and isn't a normal situation by far, you understand this yes? The attackers might also be stupid loving thugs who are pissed (I've read about simply fights between locals and foreigners as tensions flare), not only organized "nazis" or "right-wingers".

If people decide that they'd rather burn a house than let foreign refugees live there, what is that?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Hambilderberglar posted:

I forgot. Being anti-nazi means I have to be held to a higher standard by liberals, because calling people collaborators is basically quoting Der Sturmer.
If my eyes roll any harder they might pop out of my head entirely.

You're failing to meet standards for intelligent discussion. You said that you don't have common ground with people who smear whole groups of people, even though just one post before that you had smeared a whole group of people. So you don't have common ground with yourself! :)

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

sheep-dodger posted:

If people decide that they'd rather burn a house than let foreign refugees live there, what is that?

quote:

According to the ministry, there were more than 3,500 attacks on refugees and asylum hostels

It appears you have not considered who the attackers really might have been. (I assume you have strong left-leaning views in politics, so you might automagically think everything bad -> the right-wing, but it's not always so.)

Guess who are the most common attackers when refugee and asylum hostels are involved in Finland? Other refugees. I won't start googling not but I've read numerous news of asylum seekers duking it out in Germany, Sweden and on. Asylum seekers get into fights out of frustration, Christian and Muslim refugees don't get along any better in cramped asylum centers than they did where they came from where basically all the violence incl. civil wars is ethnically/religiously motivated and thus forth.

So until there is some solid data on that it is certain the perps in these 10 attacks a day were "by right-wingers" I wouldn't really bring that stat much when discussing political felonies in Europe.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Doctor Malaver posted:

You're failing to meet standards for intelligent discussion. You said that you don't have common ground with people who smear whole groups of people, even though just one post before that you had smeared a whole group of people. So you don't have common ground with yourself! :)
Yeah sorry. I'm not sure I accept the premise that calling people who are critical of physical violence against nazis collaborators is morally equivalent to nazi ideology, so this entire argument is ridiculous :)

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Ligur posted:

It appears you have not considered who the attackers really might have been. (I assume you have strong left-leaning views in politics, so you might automagically think everything bad -> the right-wing, but it's not always so.)

Guess who are the most common attackers when refugee and asylum hostels are involved in Finland? Other refugees. I won't start googling not but I've read numerous news of asylum seekers duking it out in Germany, Sweden and on. Asylum seekers get into fights out of frustration, Christian and Muslim refugees don't get along any better in cramped asylum centers than they did where they came from where basically all the violence incl. civil wars is ethnically/religiously motivated and thus forth.

So until there is some solid data on that it is certain the perps in these 10 attacks a day were "by right-wingers" I wouldn't really bring that stat much when discussing political felonies in Europe.
For the attacks on refugee centres:
Spiegel reports that according to the German Federal police out of 921 attacks in 2016 857 have a right-wing background.
Right-wing violence against refugees is real and overwhelming over the last two years. Just because we don't have all the numbers, doesn't mean that the numbers we do have don't point to a strong surge in right-wing violence.
Yes, there have been clashes between refugees and right-wingers and between refugees. But claiming that the right is not currently assaulting the basis of our democratic system (compare also their attacks on our media, such as the Fake News/Lügenpresse narratives) is just willful ignorance.

pinkacidbootson
Apr 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Asylum seekers being attacked regularly? It's just in-fighting because they all hate each other. Nothing to see here, move along. No I won't provide any statistics.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
If we didn't let refugees in then the fascists wouldn't attack them. Duh.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

sheep-dodger posted:

Spiegel reports that according to the German Federal police out of 921 attacks in 2016 857 have a right-wing background.
Right-wing violence against refugees is real and overwhelming over the last two years. Just because we don't have all the numbers, doesn't mean that the numbers we do have don't point to a strong surge in right-wing violence.
Yes, there have been clashes between refugees and right-wingers and between refugees. But claiming that the right is not currently assaulting the basis of our democratic system (compare also their attacks on our media, such as the Fake News/Lügenpresse narratives) is just willful ignorance.

I have no doubt in Germany the far-right is not very happy about the asylum seeker rush of 2015/2016, thanks for the link, I had no idea it was quite that bad. One can fuss about the exact numbers (10 attacks a day? Or 3500 attacks? Or 921 attacks?) but drat :eyepop:

We don't have anything like this in tiny Finland if you didn't know, btw. Our possibly violent extreme left has perhaps 100 or 200 members, our possibly violent far-right has perhaps 50 or 100 :newlol: Basically you could fit all of them inside four or maybe six buses.

Good.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 27, 2017

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Blut posted:

And this is exactly why anti-fascists come across as petulant teenagers throwing tantrums almost all of the time.

Why engage in the democratic process like an adult, and actually try to change things, when instead you can instead sit on the sidelines assaulting people, calling right-wing parties nazis and left wing parties collaborators? :rolleyes:

Active resistance against fascists is engaging in the democratic process like an adult. Crying that anti-fascists are the real fascists because they don't sit back and let the far-right do its thing, is, in fact, what's childish and immature.

Also loving lol @ "sit on the sidelines assaulting people". gently caress off man, you are calling political action sitting by the sidelines and saying that political inaction is (somehow) engaging in the democratic process what brings change, what the gently caress even.

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx
Jan 21, 2013

Blut posted:

I agree, let's defend bourgeois class interests and let the far-right win a couple elections without a single protest or show of animosity, that'll show 'em. I should know better than to inconvenience whites for politically motivated reasons, and we would get more support by setting refugee camps on fire anyway.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Ligur posted:

I have no doubt in Germany the far-right is not very happy about the asylum seeker rush of 2015/2016, thanks for the link, I had no idea it was quite that bad. One can fuss about the exact numbers (10 attacks a day? Or 3500 attacks? Or 921 attacks?) but drat :eyepop:

We don't have anything like this in tiny Finland if you didn't know, btw. Our possibly violent extreme left has perhaps 100 or 200 members, our possibly violent far-right has perhaps 50 or 100 :newlol: Basically you could fit all of them inside four or maybe six buses.

Good.

So you don't know what you're talking about and think the world stops at the suomen rajalla, therefore the far right isn't far more violent? Gotcha.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

YF-23 posted:

Active resistance against fascists is engaging in the democratic process like an adult. Crying that anti-fascists are the real fascists because they don't sit back and let the far-right do its thing, is, in fact, what's childish and immature.

Also loving lol @ "sit on the sidelines assaulting people". gently caress off man, you are calling political action sitting by the sidelines and saying that political inaction is (somehow) engaging in the democratic process what brings change, what the gently caress even.

Setting up a political party, helping local people in your area with their problems and gaining their support as a result, winning elections to local/national government, and implementing policies that you believe will help people is engaging in the political process like an adult.

Throwing paint at buses is behaving like a spoilt child.

The former option helps drain support from far right-wing parties. The latter increases it.

Refusing to compromise even slightly on your extremist hard-left views is also what lets the neo-liberals and right-wingers take and control power. See for example the current French election, where the split between the left candidates will likely result in Fillon or Macron (or even possibly Le Pen) becoming president.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Blut posted:

Setting up a political party, helping local people in your area with their problems and gaining their support as a result, winning elections to local/national government, and implementing policies that you believe will help people is engaging in the political process like an adult.

The former option helps drain support from far right-wing parties. The latter increases it.

Refusing to compromise even slightly on your extremist hard-left views is also what lets the neo-liberals and right-wingers take and control power. See for example the current French election, where the split between the left candidates will likely result in Fillon or Macron (or even possibly Le Pen) becoming president.

neither PS nor melenchon is anywhere close to "hard left" lol

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Making fascists feel unwelcome is an absolutely necessary act. It worked in Britain in the 30s and it works now.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Fiction posted:

neither PS nor melenchon is anywhere close to "hard left" lol

Didn't you get the memo about how anything to the left of Thatcher is hard left now.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Namarrgon posted:

It really is. It even includes that condescending shoulder grasp of your old racist uncle trying right after they say "the world isn't fair", apparently forgetting they inherited their priesthood house.

Fun fact: More Greeks own a house than Germans.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Since I'm sure everyone ITT was waiting for it with bated breath, here's Marine Le Pen's manifesto... in English, for some reason: https://www.marine2017.fr/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/a4_144_engagements_eng_bd.pdf

Also:

https://twitter.com/AlbertoNardelli/status/836172494042181632

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Fiction posted:

So you don't know what you're talking about and think the world stops at the suomen rajalla, therefore the far right isn't far more violent? Gotcha.

No, the far-right has not been more violent pre 2016 which is a fact (in Germany). As far as I know this has been the trend for the past decade, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

quote:

Somewhat surprisingly, the actual number of violent crimes is often higher for the far left than for the far right. In 2014 they were roughly equal (990 and 995, respectively), but in 2015 both exploded to 1,408 far right and 1,608 far left.

Also I ask questions, open links, read what is within, and change my opinions and views accordingly.

If you would have opened my last link, you would know where the statement that the far-right has not been more violent, even the opposite, comes from.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
does that figure include Cop Crimes

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

LemonDrizzle posted:

Since I'm sure everyone ITT was waiting for it with bated breath, here's Marine Le Pen's manifesto... in English, for some reason[/url]

Well, trump doesn't understand french, so...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Einbauschrank posted:

Fun fact: More Greeks own a house than Germans.

Which is because Germany has that kooky land-rental system that works pretty well, not because people are living in apartment complexes / subletting.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Fiction posted:

does that figure include Cop Crimes

oooh a smug leftist in d&d who makes stupid accusations and then turns to edgy humour about oppression by teh man

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Ligur posted:

oooh a smug leftist in d&d who makes stupid accusations and then turns to edgy humour about oppression by teh man

sorry you have an incomplete view of history :shrug:

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Blut posted:

Holy poo poo lol. "If only we could compromise and give the neoliberals and rightwingers what they want, then they wouldn't have the power!".
What exactly is it about the "extremist hard-left views" that enables the neoliberals and rightwingers to take control? The left now has to take the blame for enablers and collaborators helping the right wing to power? I can't even tell if I'm being trolled anymore.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's the "please listen to this guy, you might reach a compromise" logic, when said guy in question is murdering refugees subhuman scum, and you just can't tolerate that can you? So much for the tolerant left!

I just love this line of thinking, this guy has his values, that guy has his, they can meet in the middle. OK, we'll murder half as many people! That sounds like a good compromise between the far right and the "extremist hard-left", how does that loving sound? :laffo:

Also love how saying maybe people shouldn't get beaten up or killed by skinheads is "extremist hard-left" these days, jfc.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

sheep-dodger posted:

What's everyones opinion on the 2246 violent crimes carried by the left in 2015, mainly against the German police ?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Anyway unless another muslim kills a bunch of people Le Pen isn't getting elected.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

unpacked robinhood posted:

What's everyones opinion on the 2246 violent crimes carried by the left in 2015, mainly against the German police ?
Obviously false flag operatives. Instigators on the far right payroll or maybe even Kremlin's. No self respecting leftist would start a fight. :v:

I'm only half joking though, we had some relatively big protests here a few years ago and some people started fights with the police (and then got owned because the protesters handed them over to the police) and every time people then found some of them on the local neonazi message board. Since I'm ex-yu and everything we do is sloppy, I'm going to take a guess and say some of those were right wing sponsored and Germans are slightly better at doing their job right.

Regardless, violence shouldn't be tolerated, no matter who starts it. It's dumb and it doesn't do anyone any good.

magnavox space odyssey
Jan 22, 2016

Blut posted:

Extremist hard-left views include replacing the current capitalist system and eliminating the rich as a class that can even exist. I believe these views are constantly compromised which is why the left-wing nowadays is basically just the right wing but they hate refugees less and believe in some amount of welfare unless it's bad for the economy.

What I'm trying to say that compromising on these positions is what allowed neo-liberals to take control of leftist parties from within them.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

unpacked robinhood posted:

Why don't you tell us what you think and why it's important to compare skirmishes with police and assaults on random people?

The whole point is that left-wing extremist don't run around town and punch random people and throw Molotov cocktails into kid's bedrooms.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Blut posted:

The right-wing populists are at least engaging in the democratic process peacefully.

Where?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Hey Ligur, Blut, Unpacked Robinhood, Doctor Malaver, I don't want to backseat mod, but there's literally only one rule in the OP of this thread, and that rule is "no fascism allowed!!!"

So please go away, thanks in advance.