Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I learned everything wrong don't be me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Clean boost.

J/k, real answer is a reverb pedal. Everyone loves reverb. It's the black of guitar effects, it goes with everything

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

depends on a couple of things but i'd probably go with an overdrive like a tube screamer so you can go clean->dirty for songs that require that easily and also have it do double duty as a metal boost.

i also like the wah suggestion

Spanish Manlove posted:

The most useful of pedals that will never go out of style is a tuner or a noise reducer

a good tuner is the most useful pedal and they'll use it as long as they play guitar, but it's really a question of how much a 14 year old would appreciate that as a gift imo

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i like modelers and everything but the op is talking about a gift for a 14 year old. a $50-100 pedal seems like a decent thing to have fun with. don't need to solve the kid's musicianship goals with a $250 amp or $500 multieffects pedal or whatever.

speaking of which, ever since i got that custom shop sg ive been playing with some of my pedals and a twin reverb. most of the time i immediately turn back around to modeling but ive just been having a lot of fun with a compressor, a duke of tone overdrive pedal, and a boss delay (set mainly to reverb function). also plugged in my pi fuzz but i couldn't find a setting i wanted to play with it. so i guess im not ready to part with my pedal board just yet (altho if i plug the helix into the twin reverb as a overdrive and compressor patch with no amp/cab, would arguably get the same result. i should try that...)

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
get that kid a looper

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Plank Walker posted:

get that kid a looper

This is a good one too

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Plank Walker posted:

get that kid a looper

Good answer

Reverb or delay are fun imo

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Get him that Jack White Donner triple pedal that just came out

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Yeah honestly a looper pedal with some drum patterns is probably number 1 in terms of value but it’s not very exciting. If you want something a little less “I got you socks for your birthday” a delay pedal might be fun, it’s not necessary for everything but I think delays are super fun to play with and it’s a pretty basic thing to get used to using.

Alternatively, cheaper multifx units like the Zoom G1 Four/G3/G5n line or the Line 6 Pod Go are always fun options for folks starting out. Or one of those cheapo wireless units off Amazon, the UHF models work better in my experience but you can get a set for like $50 that work really well. Like maybe I wouldn’t use them for a real performance but for practicing in the same room as your amp they’re super convenient.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
The first pedal I ever bought was a crybaby wah when I was like 17 and I had a ton of fun with it so that's my vote. It has limited utility and I've probably used wah for less than ten minutes in the past decade but being able to control the effect while you play makes it so much more fun and engaging than other effects.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
A drive pedal would be a solid first choice. SD-1’s cheap and has a huge range to it. Or a couple behringer pedals

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

For a 14 year old, some kind of dirt pedal sounds like the play to make. Like the suggestions of Tube Screamer or SD-1, but Earthquaker Plumes should be in consideration there too.

For options with more gain/dirt:
Pro Co Rat
Boss DS-2
EHX Big Muff Tone Wicker

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

+1 clean boost

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Listerine posted:

My nephew is turning 14 and he's been learning to play. He's got a guitar and an amp already, I was thinking I'd get him a pedal so he could start to learn to use other equipment. Was wondering if the goons here had any recs for a good starting effects pedal?

His musical interests go over the map, he's been sending me clips of slayer and mastodon because I know I listen to metal but his first concert was the Grateful Dead concert this past spring/summer and the last thing he said he learned was a Sublime song, so it wouldn't have to be metal-centered.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BPARBun--behringer-alt-rock-3-pack

3 pack of cheap, good enough for a beginner pedals that all do different and neat things

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

insane clown pussy posted:

3 pack of cheap, good enough for a beginner pedals that all do different and neat things

This is really good, and comes with a power supply which makes such a huge difference

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

insane clown pussy posted:

oh yeah this is sick

drive, modulation, and delay is a perfect pedal setup for starting

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
+1 for the power supply. A 14 year old doesn't want to have to keep buying 9v batteries and will definitely accidentally leave it on.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
buy him an 8 string

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ethanol posted:

i like modelers and everything but the op is talking about a gift for a 14 year old. a $50-100 pedal seems like a decent thing to have fun with. don't need to solve the kid's musicianship goals with a $250 amp or $500 multieffects pedal or whatever.

speaking of which, ever since i got that custom shop sg ive been playing with some of my pedals and a twin reverb. most of the time i immediately turn back around to modeling but ive just been having a lot of fun with a compressor, a duke of tone overdrive pedal, and a boss delay (set mainly to reverb function). also plugged in my pi fuzz but i couldn't find a setting i wanted to play with it. so i guess im not ready to part with my pedal board just yet (altho if i plug the helix into the twin reverb as a overdrive and compressor patch with no amp/cab, would arguably get the same result. i should try that...)

just to clarify, the behringer pedal I was talking about is only $45
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FX600--behringer-fx600-digital-multi-fx-pedal

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Got my Prusacaster printed off and assembled. Sounds surprisingly good for being plastic, superglue and $60 of parts off Amazon

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Dang that looks great

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Toebone posted:

Got my Prusacaster printed off and assembled. Sounds surprisingly good for being plastic, superglue and $60 of parts off Amazon

looks cool. the weight?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I don’t have a scale handy but others come in around 6 lbs and that feels about right.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
be cool to run some lights in it that glow with toan

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_...eature=emb_logo

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Really triggering my trypophobia with that guitar

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Major Operation posted:

For options with more gain/dirt:
Pro Co Rat
I am disappointed with everyone else in this thread for not making this correct suggestion first.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Really triggering my trypophobia with that guitar

Hell, very much the same
Trypocaster

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Mooer Black Secret or just a straight up RAT are ideal first pedals, seconded.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Toebone:

Steve Vai:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Toebone posted:

Nice job. I've done two 3d printed guitars now, a strat and a warlock. The strat is great, the warlock is extremely lovely (off-brand floyd rose, bad stl design, layers starting to separate near the neck)

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
has anyone tried slide rings?

https://blackmountainpicks.com/pages/black-mountain-slide-ring

i feel like the weight of the full slide is important for tone

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Going to be away from my guitar for a few weeks, but will have access to a ukelele. Anyone got some good suggestions on what to learn? Figure I'll use the time to work on rhythm strumming patterns so when I get back to my guitar I'll be ready to join a ska band.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Plank Walker posted:

Going to be away from my guitar for a few weeks, but will have access to a ukelele. Anyone got some good suggestions on what to learn? Figure I'll use the time to work on rhythm strumming patterns so when I get back to my guitar I'll be ready to join a ska band.

My daughter really likes when I play Under the Sea for her

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There was a point where I planned to learn a few dozen Ramones songs on uke and put out an album called Missile To Maui.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Plank Walker posted:

The Penalty by Beirut

And then elephant gun

And then everything else by them

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Oh yeah Beirut is a great choice. Lots of good stuff.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Riptide by Vance Joy is a fun little song.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwuzTfxrbfc

I loving love these guys.

duodenum fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I just got a telecaster give me your tips. It's a surf green squier with tex mex pickups.

Middle position with spring Reverb into trem into clean fender amp is pretty cool for starters.