Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I can sorta forgive a random alien of the week not following the design rules. Since the realities of 90’s weekly television filming schedules and budgets meant they didn’t have the luxury of making anything beyond “generic space ship” and half the time it would just be a tiny indistinct blur on a tube tv anyway. But the Cardassians were actually main characters intended to be heavily featured all the time and thus got lots of production/design lead time to make nice filming models and everything. So there’s no excuse for them not to at least get nacelles. Would it really have killed them to just glue some nacelles to the underside of the Galor’s wings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Theyre crazy man. You'd think Jesus died with how hard they're doing all this melodramatic funeral poo poo for some robot lady who was just in the background for 99% of the episodes and only got a personality an episode ago. So weird lol

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I always kind of figured the little "fork" way back at the very tail end of the Galor class did the equivalent job of nacelles on a Starfleet ship, with all functions except "emit warp field" moved elsewhere.

I admit I have zero canon evidence for this notion, and it may have come about during contemplation of the Micro Machines toy.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Theyre crazy man. You'd think Jesus died with how hard they're doing all this melodramatic funeral poo poo for some robot lady who was just in the background for 99% of the episodes and only got a personality an episode ago. So weird lol

drat it, if you want to kill off someone not in the main cast you gotta introduce them in the same episode!

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

According to the most-likely-just-made-up article I read, the wings on the Cardassian ships are actually the nacelles.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The fact that the cardassian logo is just their ship is kind of lazy

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Powered Descent posted:

I always kind of figured the little "fork" way back at the very tail end of the Galor class did the equivalent job of nacelles on a Starfleet ship, with all functions except "emit warp field" moved elsewhere.

I admit I have zero canon evidence for this notion, and it may have come about during contemplation of the Micro Machines toy.

Those are the feet. Seen from the right angle cardassian ships look like robots.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Powered Descent posted:

contemplation of the Micro Machines toy.

I spent so much time figuring how those ships fit together and having them team up accordingly, MegaZord style.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Tighclops posted:

Maybe they're both stylized birds. Birds are popular inspirations for flying machines and emblems.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Powered Descent posted:

My headcanon is the long spire of the body is the sole nacelle of the ship to wrap the warp field around it like a bar magnet and :techno:.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Maybe the Cardassians just suck.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Tighclops posted:

Starfleet should have delta-shaped ships.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

It seems to be their role.

Romulans are dark elves to contrast the Vulcans, Klingons are all about conquest and honor, Ferengi are greedy and commerce-focused, Dominion are the despotic empire, Borg are the hivemind, so the only niche left is "race that sucks", and they get useless racial bonuses like tolerating hot climates and deception skills.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

We have Romulans at home

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I wish we’d gotten more Romulan vs Cardassian stuff in DS9. I feel like those are two peoples with very superficial similarities but who are, in reality, far more different from each other than either is from Humans.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Actual Satan posted:

Starfleet should have delta-shaped ships.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Akoochimoya

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Bless you

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I am far from the boners of my people

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Powered Descent posted:

The Hank Hill's butt of starship nacelles.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's been established that you can have nacelle engines and ring engines. There's probably a few different warp coil configurations the physics lends itself to and one of them is the brick ships.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Andorian ships clearly just have two nacelles in a single casing at the back

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

S7 Voyager is a slog so far. Bringing Barclay back as the idiot savant for comms stuff was a big blunder. He's annoying as himself or in alter ego mode as a confident douche. What writer looked at Barclay from TNG and said THIS is the dude we wanna rope into Voyager?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Well, they wanted someone from TNG because fans love TNG, but they couldn't get anyone better

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
And he’d already appeared earlier in the show’s run.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Honestly it would be kinda lame if every race had the same "two nacelles with space between them" configuration. Vulcans don't, Spoonheads don't, even the Defiant doesn't really. Let's not even start with the Breen nonsense they fly around in. It seems like there are multiple way to create a warpfield and the differences are :techno: which should be enough for space fantasy where you can be randomly teleported around without dying.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Well, they wanted someone from TNG because fans love TNG, but they couldn't get anyone better

Troi shows up in the first Barclay episode but that doesn't invalidate your point

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Squiggle posted:

Troi shows up in the first Barclay episode but that doesn't invalidate your point

Projections has entered the chat.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Squiggle posted:

He was also likely much cheaper.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I mostly enjoyed this weeks Disco. It was basically an actual episode instead of a smear of poo poo serving the seasonal plot. Real lol at everybody on the DIsco saying their colleague wouldn't sacrifice themself to save the ship. That's like Starfleet 101.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcBw9GuzZI4

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Spoonhead is so derogatory that I’m actually briefly offended on behalf of a fictional alien race every time I see it lol

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Imagine a Bajoran comedian who makes it big with his character "Spoonar" wherein he does a racist depiction of a Cardsssian via pressing a spoon to his forehead.

He is later cast as the "Colonel Klink" of a show about a Cardsssian POW camp.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Imagine a Bajoran comedian who makes it big with his character "Spoonar" wherein he does a racist depiction of a Cardsssian via pressing a spoon to his forehead.

He is later cast as the "Colonel Klink" of a show about a Cardsssian POW camp.

He would get into a spat over public comms with Cardassian Jeff Dunham and his dead Bajoran puppet.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
the federations most cancelled comedian has an offensive character of every federation race

the comedian is human

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Bill Cosby is a Romulan

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Wifi Toilet posted:

Spoonhead is so derogatory that I’m actually briefly offended on behalf of a fictional alien race every time I see it lol

lol I keep waiting for the Mods to crack down on the use of "The Spoonies".

naem
May 29, 2011

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

We're just assuming the Bajoran concept of a spoon is the same as humans. It could mean something totally different. It could be derogatory in a strange alien way we can't even comprehend.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

S7 Voyager redeemed itself a bit via the ep where the doctor is stored in 7's implants and takes over her personality. Jeri Ryan channeling the doctor is so much fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Big rear end On Fire posted:

S7 Voyager redeemed itself a bit via the ep where the doctor is stored in 7's implants and takes over her personality. Jeri Ryan channeling the doctor is so much fun to watch.
Ryan goes OTT with her take on the Doctor, but it's a comedy episode and she's having a great time (both as Doc/Seven and regular Seven every time she goes back to normal and is outraged/appalled at whatever he's been doing - you know the gif) so she absolutely gets away with it.

Plus it's the episode where it's made canonical that Harry stinks.