Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

MotoMind posted:

Are bicyclists often hostile to motorcyclists? I had a run-in with the hard men in spandex today.

Almost all the bicyclists I know (a lot, I work at a bike shop and bicycle every day) are cool wtih motorcycles and most motorcyclists I know are cool with bicycles. I'd rather have motorcycles whizzing past me while I'm cycling than huge SUVs, that's for sure. I often get thumbs up from cyclists while bombing down backroads on the SV650 as well.

Same team, man; two wheels!

Also, my legs look great in spandex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Almost all the bicyclists I know (a lot, I work at a bike shop and bicycle every day) are cool wtih motorcycles and most motorcyclists I know are cool with bicycles. I'd rather have motorcycles whizzing past me while I'm cycling than huge SUVs, that's for sure. I often get thumbs up from cyclists while bombing down backroads on the SV650 as well.

Same team, man; two wheels!

Also, my legs look gay in spandex.

Fixed it for ya.

Also a bicyclist is usually a precursor to a huge SUV swerving into my lane so I'm not a huge fan.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Gnaghi posted:

Some bicyclists just hate all non-bicyclists and want to fight with everyone. I usually just make a pedaling motion with my feet and slowly out-accelerate them.

hooooly poo poo that's hilarious.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I've done it a couple times. Both times they didn't find it funny. :v:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Gnaghi posted:

I've done it a few times as well, I thought it was great, them .. not so much. Probably didn't help there was about 100 of them on a big ride up the highway :D

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gnaghi posted:

I'm a bicyclist too and I would find it loving hilarious if someone did this to me. That's awesome.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I always felt it was too mean to do to bicyclists, they're already demoralized trying to pedal their way up hills and stuff. I try to wave to them and I even gave a guy a fist pump when I saw him straining to the top of a huge grade. :3:

I usually reserve it for people on mopeds, or sometimes when I'm passing people excruciatingly slowly on the KLR/WR (alternatively, with a rowing motion of the arm).

I may pull that out on a peleton sometime, that would be hilarious.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

It would probably be pretty funny unless I was on a really long, torturous cycling trip and some smug fat guy on a moto came by and did it. Talk about eye roll. Then again, if it was descending sweepers it might just give me the motvation to try and catch up...

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
On the rare occasion I lanesplit while using the empty bicycle lane, I'll start kicking my feet like I'm pedaling a bike as I pass stopped cars. I never look to see if anyone else finds it hilarious, though, I'm just doing it to be a smartass.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Slim Pickens posted:

On the rare occasion I lanesplit while using the empty bicycle lane, I'll start kicking my feet like I'm pedaling a bike as I pass stopped cars. I never look to see if anyone else finds it hilarious, though, I'm just doing it to be a smartass.

While doing this, I accidentally hit the gear lever and shifted from 2 to 1. Bike came to a halt and I'm surprised that I didn't fall over or hit anything.

While it looks goofy, I don't really do it anymore. :ohdear:

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Gnaghi posted:

Some bicyclists just hate all non-bicyclists and want to fight with everyone.
As a car driver, pedestrian, and motorcyclist, this is what I used to think. Until I got a bicycle for commuting to work and found out that bicyclists also hate other bicyclists. Some of the nastiest road-rage shouting altercations I've heard were between two bicyclists. Though, to be fair, this is San Francisco, so there are several whole classes of douchebag bicyclist you'll find here that you won't in many other places. Usually it's about not letting each other pass / passing each other too quickly in high-traffic bike lanes on high-traffic streets.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Z3n posted:

I'm a bicyclist too and I would find it loving hilarious if someone did this to me. That's awesome.

I might laugh to hard to keep pedaling....

I wave at motorcyclists while on the bike. They usually wave back.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

frunksock posted:

As a car driver, pedestrian, and motorcyclist, this is what I used to think. Until I got a bicycle for commuting to work and found out that bicyclists also hate other bicyclists. Some of the nastiest road-rage shouting altercations I've heard were between two bicyclists. Though, to be fair, this is San Francisco, so there are several whole classes of douchebag bicyclist you'll find here that you won't in many other places. Usually it's about not letting each other pass / passing each other too quickly in high-traffic bike lanes on high-traffic streets.

Spring is here, and that means having to contend with huge groups of spandex-clad middle-aged Lance Armstrong wannabes clogging up the back roads on their bicycles as they "practice" for that "big bike race" or something like that.

They always ride 3 or 4 abreast and at least 10-12 deep, forming a rolling roadblock. Most of the time their "coach" is following them from behind in his car, further blocking the road.

No matter what you do, they refuse to ride in single file to let you pass as they're supposed to do when there is traffic in their lane. I have no shame in admitting that I usually handle a situation like that with about 10,000 rpm and 2x 139dB horns.

Lone bicyclists are my best buds, though! :toot:

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

2x 139dB horns.

I didn't ride a bicycle when you surprised with the Murderhorns (TM). They're not that bad. The ear-bleeding stopped after a few hours and the tinnitus went away in a matter of days, but ok. I was only in a 1-2 feet distance, they might be rougher a few yards further out.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I definitely need to replace the anemic horn on the ol' Honda. Some dude on the highway tries to merge into me and I can't express my annoyance properly.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

Spring is here, and that means having to contend with huge groups of spandex-clad middle-aged Lance Armstrong wannabes clogging up the back roads on their bicycles as they "practice" for that "big bike race" or something like that.

They always ride 3 or 4 abreast and at least 10-12 deep, forming a rolling roadblock. Most of the time their "coach" is following them from behind in his car, further blocking the road.

No matter what you do, they refuse to ride in single file to let you pass as they're supposed to do when there is traffic in their lane. I have no shame in admitting that I usually handle a situation like that with about 10,000 rpm and 2x 139dB horns.

Lone bicyclists are my best buds, though! :toot:
I empathize with those Lance Armstrong dudes in general. On the mountain / canyon roads here in the bay area, they have more right to be doing what they're doing (legally cycling at mostly legal speeds) than what many of the motorists are doing (sports cars and motorcycles going all-out at rarely even remotely legal speeds), and of course the latter (more so the cars) are often grossly endangering the lives of the former. So I understand where they're coming from and why they may feel entitled to ride in formation with a car behind them, though not letting people pass is lame. I was more talking about dbag cyclists in the city proper.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

frunksock posted:

I empathize with those Lance Armstrong dudes in general. On the mountain / canyon roads here in the bay area, they have more right to be doing what they're doing (legally cycling at mostly legal speeds) than what many of the motorists are doing (sports cars and motorcycles going all-out at rarely even remotely legal speeds), and of course the latter (more so the cars) are often grossly endangering the lives of the former. So I understand where they're coming from and why they may feel entitled to ride in formation with a car behind them, though not letting people pass is lame. I was more talking about dbag cyclists in the city proper.

I wouldn't ride in formation because all it takes is one dipshit not paying attention and you're splattered across the hood of a car.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I did the pedal thing going past a large group of cyclists today.

I got a bunch of thumbs up, and one middle finger.

Thanks, goons, for giving terrible ideas new life.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

frunksock posted:

At least here they're legally required to keep as far right as safely possible and own the lane up to three feet to the left of that - plenty of room, but no more. No allowance for 'formation' riding and no permission to obstruct traffic just to be pricks.

I ride pedalbike and motorcycle and as far as I'm concerned those Livestrong dickbags deliberately antagonizing car drivers only increase the chance some jerk is going to retributively try to run me off the road when I'm headed to work, so, no, they're not making the roads safer or any self-sanctimonious crap like that at all.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Dual exhaust = :swoon: It's so distinct from single cannon-exhausts on the SV650. I've owned Yoshi, 2 Bros, and two Delkevic models and there's a quality to dual exhausts that my diminished ears can easily discern as being loving awesome.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I was late for work one morning and had to take the bus. The bus stop coexists in space with a cycle lane. As the bus approached, I and fellow travellers moved towards the curb. Right then, a Lycra'd out Armstrong wannabe came down the hill, motioning with his arm that we should get out of the way. That is precisely what annoys me with cyclists. The roads are for everyone and everyone needs to make room for eachother. Be nice, share, give room, be smooth, make the pieces fall together. But cyclists are just selfish.

"The road is for everyone so make room for meeeee! My needs are specific and just, your needs are without value! gently caress off, I'm trying to set a new personal best on my way to an office chair where I will either make the day worse for my coworkers due to pungent body odor or do damage to the economy by showering in work hours!"

I don't mind cyclists, I do mind assholes.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

Ola posted:

Agreed, and it's just annoying that a lot of people seem to become an rear end in a top hat when they put their rear end a bike.

On a tangentially related note, when I pass a rider on a horse I always slow down, pull in the clutch and slowly roll past. I would hate sitting on top of a panicking horse, so I guess this is the least I can do. This has not stopped riders on horses from :argh:'ing me :(

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Ola posted:

I was late for work one morning and had to take the bus. The bus stop coexists in space with a cycle lane. As the bus approached, I and fellow travellers moved towards the curb. Right then, a Lycra'd out Armstrong wannabe came down the hill, motioning with his arm that we should get out of the way. That is precisely what annoys me with cyclists. The roads are for everyone and everyone needs to make room for eachother. Be nice, share, give room, be smooth, make the pieces fall together. But cyclists are just selfish.

"The road is for everyone so make room for meeeee! My needs are specific and just, your needs are without value! gently caress off, I'm trying to set a new personal best on my way to an office chair where I will either make the day worse for my coworkers due to pungent body odor or do damage to the economy by showering in work hours!"

The stick is the greatest bane of spoke-kind! It is their mortal enemy, use it well!

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Man sues BMW for 20-month erection after motorcycle ride

A California man has sued BMW North America and a motorcycle-seat maker claiming that a four-hour round-trip ride on his 1993 BMW bike with a "ridge-like" seat gave him "a severe case of priapism (a persistent, lasting erection)" that's lasted 20 months and counting.

Maybe he should stop riding that motorcycle.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120430/BUSINESS07/120430005/Man-sues-BMW-for-20-month-erection-after-bike-ride?odyssey=mod

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Crayvex posted:

A California man has sued BMW North America and a motorcycle-seat maker claiming that a four-hour round-trip ride on his 1993 BMW bike with a "ridge-like" seat gave him "a severe case of priapism (a persistent, lasting erection)" that's lasted 20 months and counting.

Maybe he should stop riding that motorcycle.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120430/BUSINESS07/120430005/Man-sues-BMW-for-20-month-erection-after-bike-ride?odyssey=mod

Wow.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Guys, please don't discuss my case while it's still pending, it's hard enough as it is

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Gnaghi posted:

Some bicyclists just hate all non-bicyclists and want to fight with everyone. I usually just make a pedaling motion with my feet and slowly out-accelerate them.

I was having the shittiest day till I read this. Now I can't stop grinning like an idiot.

LarryCsonka
Nov 7, 2006
Oooh, I don't go map-finding-behinding

Ola posted:

But cyclists are just selfish.

A lot of motorcyclists are assholes, a lot of cagers are assholes, and a lot of cyclists are assholes. It has nothing to do with the vehicle and everything to do with the rider/driver. It seems like you are a bit bias vs cyclists from what you write however. I ride a bicycle and motorbike, and consider them similar activities. More people want to actively murder me on the bicycle though (I always ride as far over as I can)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Chris Knight posted:

I definitely need to replace the anemic horn on the ol' Honda. Some dude on the highway tries to merge into me and I can't express my annoyance properly.

I'm replacing my horn with a yoshimura race exhaust.

Snowdens Secret posted:

it's hard enough as it is
haha I see what you did there. :bravo:

I think you can expect some stiff litigation.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 30, 2012

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Since we seem to be doing the "I do this, therefor I know how other people that does this are", I just thought I'd say that I ride motorcycles, I ride bicycles and I drive cars, and cyclists are made up of 85% unattentive entitled dickbags. Fact.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Seriously, no one has more of an entitlement complex about roads that they cant even get close to the speed limit on than bicyclists.

55mph country highway? LETS GO 4 WIDE AND NEVER BREAK FORMATION.

Then also lets get pissed when everyone gets pissed at us.

I ride bicycles too, but I'm far from a militant cyclist, and I do 95% of my riding on bike paths.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Crayvex posted:

After a few days to a week like that his dick would have literally died and fallen off, so I somehow doubt it's actually been as bad as he says.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

Ola posted:

I do a lot of cycling in the spring - fall. From what I've noticed cyclists are just like most vehicles on the road: some actually know the rules and follow them; and others think that they are above them. Unfortunately when someone is an rear end in a top hat on a bicycle, they suddenly get very flamboyant and in-your-face about stupid crap.

According to driving rules (in CT at least) a bicycle is considered a vehicle, so when on the road said bicycle has to follow all normal rules of the road that apply to a vehicle. A lot of people forget this or choose to flaunt the rules in a "I'm a unique snowflake, better than everyone" type of way.

At the end of the day it is really just about who's on the bike. I mean I've done group rides and we are all very conscientious about traffic forming behind us or cars trying to pass: we try as hard as we're able to make sure that everyone on the road stays safe and gets to where they're going without a hold up. Other group riders aren't as great though, and I think that goes along with the whole, "I'm running the next Tour and the WHOLE ROAD is my training area :hurr:" mentality.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Since we seem to be doing the "I do this, therefor I know how other people that does this are", I just thought I'd say that I ride motorcycles, I ride bicycles and I drive cars, and cyclists are made up of 85% unattentive entitled dickbags. Fact.

I'm sorry, you accidentally typed "cyclists" instead of "drivers".

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

We are the cyclists...

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Went through a drive thru at chicfila for the first time, The cashier thought it was hilarious but the manager wasn't amused.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
So it turns out that the black keys are awesome:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Any band that's willing to advertise themselves with a '72 CB350 is okay by me.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

MotoMind posted:

We are the cyclists...

Never gets old for me. Smug bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

LarryCsonka posted:

It seems like you are a bit bias vs cyclists from what you write however.

Yes, you're right. I got pissed at the guy waving at me because he seemed to indicate "what the gently caress are you doing in my space?" in a space clearly occupied by all sorts of people. But someone in a SUV on the phone not only have worse attitudes but are far more dangerous. There was a news story a while back about a cyclist hitting a child and then having the nerve to yell at the child for standing in the way afterwards. Increased my bias quite a lot, but I do realize it's unfair.