Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Keyboard noob here. Is a Logitech G15

a "mechanical keyboard"? I used that for like 7 years until it just broke down on me last week and I bought a G710+

to replace it. I don't really know what defines a "mechanical keyboard" but when I was looking for my replacement it was all anyone would talk about. Anyway the keys don't really feel all that different to me so idk?

P.S I miss my little LCD screen that I literally never used :mad:

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

drunken officeparty posted:

Keyboard noob here. Is a Logitech G15

a "mechanical keyboard"? I used that for like 7 years until it just broke down on me last week and I bought a G710+

to replace it. I don't really know what defines a "mechanical keyboard" but when I was looking for my replacement it was all anyone would talk about. Anyway the keys don't really feel all that different to me so idk?

P.S I miss my little LCD screen that I literally never used :mad:

G15 wasn't a mechanical keyboard, I believe it was a dome type. You can read about about the different switch types here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_technology

Cactus Jack fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 5, 2016

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I had two generations of the G15 and yeah, they're membrane keyboards. I actually miss the little screen too when I was playing music but I decided I could live without it and I never used the macro keys anyway.

The G710+ uses Cherry Browns with O-ring dampeners, apparently, so it is very much a mech keyboard.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I have 2 keyboards. I have a KBT/Vortex Race, which is neat. However, it has an incline that I hate. I also have this thing:

It's a Ducky Shine Mini with G20 keycaps from Signature Plastics. I love how flat it is. However, I am the only person I know who can use it. Anyone else is god drat mystified. I need something that is both flat AND has a legend and is maybe 75% instead of 60% because aftermarket keycaps won't have the Fn keys labeled.

Anyone got a suggestion for a super flat TKL?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bakalakadaka posted:

Why would I do that I like my numpad D:
better ergonomics.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pr0zac posted:

Yeah its a good choice. Get the TKL.

gently caress bro, WASD with clears is the kind of thing he wouldn't know if it was good... and let me tell you Bakalakadaka would be upgrading to one of the finest board choices their is... but he doesn't need you dropping a turd on him telling him whether or not to get a keypad... the fact is brother that keypads own and you need them I need them every day. He will be pleased with his choice

For the record I am typing on a CODE with clears so virtually the same thing

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I actually use my keypad frequently enough that I would miss it and I don't have any ergonomic problems with my current fullsize keyboard (a G15 that is old and starting to be not good).

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Never get a TKL

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

evil_bunnY posted:

better ergonomics.

Sounds like something a girly-man with narrow shoulders would say.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Since this thread is full of liars who contradict each other all the time, and I have an unhealthy obsession with perfection, does anybody know anywhere in the Portland (Oregon, not Maine) area that's a good place to try out different switch types?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

echinopsis posted:

gently caress bro, WASD with clears is the kind of thing he wouldn't know if it was good... and let me tell you Bakalakadaka would be upgrading to one of the finest board choices their is... but he doesn't need you dropping a turd on him telling him whether or not to get a keypad... the fact is brother that keypads own and you need them I need them every day. He will be pleased with his choice

For the record I am typing on a CODE with clears so virtually the same thing

I see you haven't progressed to the "my keyboard isn't small enough" stage of excuses to buy new keyboards yet.

Ordered that Massdrop Infinity 60% kit that will probably show up sometime next year to try to stop the bank account bleeding.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

surc posted:

Since this thread is full of liars who contradict each other all the time, and I have an unhealthy obsession with perfection, does anybody know anywhere in the Portland (Oregon, not Maine) area that's a good place to try out different switch types?

Just get a topre board now instead of 4 keyboards from now. It's the final descent for a reason.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bakalakadaka posted:

I actually use my keypad frequently enough that I would miss it and I don't have any ergonomic problems with my current fullsize keyboard (a G15 that is old and starting to be not good).
It'll be perfectly fine then

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
If you want a num pad bad enough just buy one.
https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,rf_numberpad&pid=rf_wc01b0

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

pr0zac posted:

I see you haven't progressed to the "my keyboard isn't small enough" stage of excuses to buy new keyboards yet.

Ordered that Massdrop Infinity 60% kit that will probably show up sometime next year to try to stop the bank account bleeding.
This is an amazing keyboard.

Thank you thread for making me wonder for the first time whether I actually care that I have a numeric keypad on my keyboard. I have always used the QWERTY numbers for numerical input anyway; I honestly think I only use the keypad when it is used as part of the hotkey settings for some arcane program and/or I want to instantly undo a browser zoom I accidentally totally ruined.

Oh...but back to the Massdrop Infinity 60% keyboard. I am not sure if I could ever live without instant easy access to CTRL-HOME and CTRL-END but I could still envision myself giving this one a shot. Though it took me at least a few seconds to figure out why it had a FUN key. I bet I am not the first person to say this.

oh no

Massdrop has eight billion things I want to look at

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Massdrop is great for keyboards and not much else simply as they get exclusive things. Almost everything else on mass drop you can get direct from the manufacturer for two dollars more and you don't have to wait 2 months for it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Massdrop is also only really good if you're in the states. I got a jacket from them for $50 cheaper than the manufacturer price.

I mean, I bought a jacket. I don't actually have it because it hasn't been the requisite six months yet.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pr0zac posted:

I won't son, I'm mature and know what I like, which is a keyboard that doesn't exclude other humans from using my computer.

Outwardly my keyboard looks like a regular keyboard, only when you type on it a little bit of pre-cum comes out every stroke (don't get me wrong it's good but not good enough to make you actually come, just get closer)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Massdrop is also only really good if you're in the states. I got a jacket from them for $50 cheaper than the manufacturer price.

I mean, I bought a jacket. I don't actually have it because it hasn't been the requisite six months yet.

I didn't think shipping was too bad on the keycaps I bought.

PBT keycaps by the way (ftw)

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Maybe I will get greens instead of clears and be loud as heck and then get a topre when I want to retire to a quiet life of oneness with cup rubber?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Bakalakadaka posted:

Maybe I will get greens instead of clears and be loud as heck and then get a topre when I want to retire to a quiet life of oneness with cup rubber?

Yes, do this. Best of both worlds.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldn't have said that blues/greens are inherently superior to browns/clears and the volume is the only thing to consider.. I personally don't feel like the clack is necessary.. When I say that PBT on clears is the ultimate, I don't mean, in a best of all worlds, compromise kind of way. I mean, they are objectively superior to all other cherry switches

surc
Aug 17, 2004

leper khan posted:

Just get a topre board now instead of 4 keyboards from now. It's the final descent for a reason.

Yeah but the whole point is I want to know how it actually feels to type on different switches without gambling the price of a keyboard.

I already know this thread is good at giving one-line definitive statements about the quality of keyboards, that's like... 90% of the thread. I don't have prior experience with mechanical keyboards outside of using an old Model M that I didn't even know was mechanical until somebody told me it was, so with all the different and contradictory posts in this thread, I never know which to believe. It seems like the only way I'll know I got the best match for me is to find a place to physically test them out. :shrug:

surc fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 5, 2016

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

surc posted:

Yeah but the whole point is I want to know how it actually feels to type on different switches without gambling the price of a keyboard.

I already know this thread is good at giving one-line definitive statements about the quality of keyboards, that's like... 90% of the thread. I don't have prior experience with mechanical keyboards outside of using an old Model M that I didn't even know was mechanical until somebody told me it was, so with all the different and contradictory posts in this thread, I never know which to believe. It seems like the only way I'll know I got the best match for me is to find a place to physically test them out. :shrug:

If there's a Microcenter anywhere near you they should have something or you can buy a tester off Amazon. That's all I got.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

surc posted:

Yeah, people keep contradicting my facts

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Does anyone know if Leopold makes the FC660M with MX Clears?

I should probably just get the Topre version (FC660C), I just wish the white version wasn't so beige.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Bakalakadaka posted:

If there's a Microcenter anywhere near you they should have something or you can buy a tester off Amazon. That's all I got.

Thanks, appreciate the suggestion! Unfortunately it looks like the nearest one is a 14 hour drive away, so I guess I'll just have to keep trying different stores up here and hope I find a place.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

surc posted:

Thanks, appreciate the suggestion! Unfortunately it looks like the nearest one is a 14 hour drive away, so I guess I'll just have to keep trying different stores up here and hope I find a place.

Most stores are only going to have boards with cherry switches (or overpriced :pcgaming: knockoffs like razr).

If you liked your mechanical model m, get a unicomp. If you live or work near other people don't do that or get cherry blues. Cherry browns still have tactile feedback, which is nice if you type, but reds are smooth and better if all you want is :pcgaming:.

For now ignore topre, alps, and exotic keyboards. You'll find your way to them eventually anyway.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

leper khan posted:

Most stores are only going to have boards with cherry switches (or overpriced :pcgaming: knockoffs like razr).

If you liked your mechanical model m, get a unicomp. If you live or work near other people don't do that or get cherry blues. Cherry browns still have tactile feedback, which is nice if you type, but reds are smooth and better if all you want is :pcgaming:.

For now ignore topre, alps, and exotic keyboards. You'll find your way to them eventually anyway.

In the maze of lies and deception that is opinions on keyboards, I have decided to place my faith in you, friend leper khan. Also it seems like that's the general advice, but somebody always comes in and :goonsay: about how actually that's totally wrong. gently caress those people, I'm getting a keyboard.

I had enough built-up Amazon credit to get a rosewill with Cherry Reds, and am tired of waiting on getting a keyboard, so that worked well. I am all about the counter-strafing headshotting, and need to not have things be as loud as my old keyboard. Hopefully I'll find it okay to type on as well; I somehow doubt it will be worse than the laptop keyboard I'm currently using even if it's not optimal.

surc fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 6, 2016

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

surc posted:

In the maze of lies and deception that is opinions on keyboards, I have decided to place my faith in you, friend leper khan. Also it seems like that's the general advice, but somebody always comes in and :goonsay: about how actually that's totally wrong. gently caress those people, I'm getting a keyboard.

I had enough built-up Amazon credit to get a rosewill with Cherry Reds, and am tired of waiting on getting a keyboard, so that worked well. I am all about the counter-strafing headshotting, and need to not have things be as loud as my old keyboard. Hopefully I'll find it okay to type on as well; I somehow doubt it will be worse than the laptop keyboard I'm currently using even if it's not optimal.

It's a linear switch so it will give you hand cancer.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Everything good and fun gives you cancer, so I guess I made the right choice :unsmith:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Reds are for suckers of the highest order. Tactile or clicky forever.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

surc posted:

Just buy a tester, which is a little piece of plastic with one of each switch type. They run arojnd $10-15.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Get one keyboard with Reds (or equivalent) for gaming - might as well make this a 60% jobbie
Get one keyboard with Browns or Clears (or equivalent) for the boring poo poo like typing essays or spreadsheets
Get one Unicomp for old-skool action
Get one Topre for oneness of feeling with rubber and several hundred dollars in the red.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Mange Mite posted:

Just buy a tester, which is a little piece of plastic with one of each switch type. They run arojnd $10-15.
Finally, a beer flight for the rest of us.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I went and bought a Logitech G710 with blues for feeling of oneness with loud noises and LEDs. This is the beginning of the end (of my wallet).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

surc posted:

I've never been there myself but there's a Frys Electronics down in Wilsonville if you feel like driving out of the way. Other than that I'm not sure.

e: Alternatively you can order something like one of these which is what I did.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Just buy 1 board of each switch type.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Nondescript Van posted:

Just buy 1 board of each switch type.

This is why I'm on #4. And I know you already have more than that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Horizontal Tree posted:

This is why I'm on #4. And I know you already have more than that

Working on it. I got a zelio 67g board on the way as well as a matias quiet click. I currently have 2 topre (1 silenced), 1 buckling spring, 1 MX Clear, and 1 MX White. I have previously had boards with greens, browns, and reds.

• Locked thread