Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Data Graham posted:

Someone on another forum was riffing on the term “darkfriend” during my readthrough

*masked figure steps from an alley holding a knife* Hey want to catch a movie later

The "proper" term is actually "Friend of the Dark [One]", it's just shortened to darkfriend by many people. Darkfriends themselves usually use Friend of the Dark, just like the Forsaken usually refer to themselves as the Chosen.

RC Cola posted:

Book 12 spoilers but loving Egwene. "Oh I am so upset and angry about these sitters forcing a fourth oath on other sisters. This is so bad and evil. Definitely not something that I have personally done." Magical princess. And always complaining about Rand. Oh no. We have to stop the dragon from going around because it's *our* job to rule the world.
Get hosed.

Edit Egwene: 'its one step short of compulsion. ' Look I'm Egwene. Rules apply to everyone but me. Also I love the tower so much. It's so important to me even though I spent a total of 8 months there ever.

She's a huge hypocrite. Her only saving grace is that most of the other Aes Sedai are somehow even worse than her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Sab669 posted:

It's a little cheesy, but I don't think it's any worse than any other "fantasy terminology". I've seen people complain about "Allomancy" when reading Mistborn and I was just like, is that any worse than Pyromancy or Cryomancy?

No, but those are also bad. :colbert:
All the "-mancy" names for magic are dumb anyway, since as a suffix it actually indicates a method of divination.
Necromancy meant to fortell the future by communing with the dead, not to make zombies.

My favourite is Oenomancy, which is to fortell the future by getting really loving drunk.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The_White_Crane posted:

No, but those are also bad. :colbert:
All the "-mancy" names for magic are dumb anyway, since as a suffix it actually indicates a method of divination.
Necromancy meant to fortell the future by communing with the dead, not to make zombies.

My favourite is Oenomancy, which is to fortell the future by getting really loving drunk.

At least some allomantic powers can be used for divination.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Using -mancer as a suffix for a diviner is a waste of a perfectly good -spex

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

enigma105 posted:

Semirhage was High Lady Suroth, Tuon's Truthspeaker. Not sure if that's explicitly spelled out, but I believe it is. A lot is happening in that chapter, so I can understand missing it.

OK so I finished the Prologue for Book #12 and that definitely spelled out everything related to Rand while recapping events. But yea like seriously I don't know how I even missed him losing his arm/hand.

Book is off to a decent start though. Faile knifed Masema. I'm glad he's gone, but it feels a little anticlimactic to have him removed so easily/abruptly. It reminded me of (Oathbringer? Words of Radiance? I forget when this happens) Adolin knifing Sadeas, except if that happened 3 books later with him being an annoying bastard the whole time. It just felt very, "Why did we even have him in the first place?"

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sab669 posted:

OK so I finished the Prologue for Book #12 and that definitely spelled out everything related to Rand while recapping events. But yea like seriously I don't know how I even missed him losing his arm/hand.

Book is off to a decent start though. Faile knifed Masema. I'm glad he's gone, but it feels a little anticlimactic to have him removed so easily/abruptly. It reminded me of (Oathbringer? Words of Radiance? I forget when this happens) Adolin knifing Sadeas, except if that happened 3 books later with him being an annoying bastard the whole time. It just felt very, "Why did we even have him in the first place?"

It's basically Brandon taking the emergency exit. The Perrin/Faile plot, especially the Faile abduction plot, is infamous in WoT circles for dragging on faaaar too long. Yes, it's an abrupt ending, but fandom breathed a collective sigh of relief that it was finally over. Masema could have been cut, and nothing of value would have been lost. And there was no place in the book to give him a "better" ending. Sanderson already had to split the "very definitely final book" into three books. And still, this is not the only plot that feels rushed, just as a word of warning. In my opinion, the main plots and characters get the time they need to shine, but several of the minor stories suffered a bit. I guess the series would have needed at least two other books to neatly wrap up all the various plots. That obviously didn't (and couldn't) happen. And I'm fine with Masema drawing the short end of the stick, there are more important characters that deserve book space more than him.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Torrannor posted:

It's basically Brandon taking the emergency exit. The Perrin/Faile plot, especially the Faile abduction plot, is infamous in WoT circles for dragging on faaaar too long. Yes, it's an abrupt ending, but fandom breathed a collective sigh of relief that it was finally over. Masema could have been cut, and nothing of value would have been lost. And there was no place in the book to give him a "better" ending. Sanderson already had to split the "very definitely final book" into three books. And still, this is not the only plot that feels rushed, just as a word of warning. In my opinion, the main plots and characters get the time they need to shine, but several of the minor stories suffered a bit. I guess the series would have needed at least two other books to neatly wrap up all the various plots. That obviously didn't (and couldn't) happen. And I'm fine with Masema drawing the short end of the stick, there are more important characters that deserve book space more than him.

That all seems pretty reasonable. Definitely not sour about it, I was just like "Oh. Well. OK then :thunk:"

So how exactly did things go down with Jordan kicking the bucket and Sanderson taking over? Looking it up on Wikipedia, #11 came out in '05, he died in '07, and #12 came out in '09. Sounds like he was just writing 1 massive loving book, died, then Sanderson broke it up into 3 books? So while he was going off Jordan's notes / what had been written thus far, it sounded like he had quite a bit of "freedom" to change things?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

quote:

Harriet Popham Rigney, Jordan’s widow and editor, chose Sanderson to complete A Memory of Light—which Jordan worked on almost daily for the last few months of his life—and will edit it. Rigney said some scenes from the book were completed by Jordan before his death, and some exist in draft form. “He left copious notes and hours of audio recordings,” she said. He also revealed details about the end of the series to close members of his family.

Sanderson went on record about some of the scenes that were nearly exclusively written by Robert Jordan, but those would be spoilers. There are some things you can tell were written by Brandon, but overall I feel it was well done as a continuation of Jordan's writing.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Brandon treated it like he was editing holy scripture. Any sections that Jordan completed were put in unchanged and any notes by Jordan or suggestions by his widow were followed religiously.

More than any of his own books Brandon will talk at length about the sections of the book he wish he had done better on (Matt’s initial characterization is a little off for example).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

He says the ending scene was prewritten by Jordan, but I'm not sure if I can 100% take him at his word... it feels like the kind of thing you'd say was already done for you even if it weren't. Am I the only one who feels that way?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I have no trouble believing that. If you knew you were dying, what piece of your work would you finish first? Some interlude, or the ending to your successful fantasy series? And the ending didn't feel off the way the early Mat chapters did. The ending also didn't suck, imho, so why would Sanderson lie?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Personally, I'd spend my last couple dying months trying to cram as many words into a bath scene as I could, just to troll everyone.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Jordan said the ending (specifically, the last line) was something he absolutely had in mind from the very start. He had many months to work on things, knowing he was dying and that someone else was to finish it. It makes perfect sense that the end would be one of the things he was sure to lock down with the time he had left, rather than handing to Sanderson.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sounds not unlike the ASIOAF/GoT thing there GRRM basically told HBO the ending of the books and told them to figure out how to get there.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I always think Egwene is the worst until I remember that Gawyn exists. He is somehow even more stupid and willfully ignorant than Elaida, and all of the Aes Sedai put together.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
They really deserve each other.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Sab669 posted:

That all seems pretty reasonable. Definitely not sour about it, I was just like "Oh. Well. OK then :thunk:"

It's more like ... the threat he represented was already dealt with in the previous book. His actual demise in this one IS tying up the loose end.

It's the blacksmith's puzzle metaphor Perrin's POV always uses. Perrin and Rand concocted this plan to set himself off with this task, right after LoC, to bring the Dragonsworn to heel and maybe stabilize the western end of Randland, but every move, every day, he finds out it's a thornier problem with more twists and turns, and he sets up the mother of all combination shots to

1) shatter Masema's Dragonsworn
2) smash the Shaido
3) demonstrate (to the Seanchan even!) that Randland forces can and will operate with the Seanchan in a non-subordinate role

It's classic Perrin POV. His moping about wolves and Faile and whatever is a constant in the entire series. It's the same kind of literary irony as Rand's insanity and Mat's surface-level lazy prankster persona.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 24, 2019

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I know it's a sad argument for an entire series but Memory of Light really pays off and kinda makes up for the weaker books in the series. Really enjoying it in my final reread right now. There's just so much going on, so many people having their moments and some old stuff coming back.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Book 13 spoilers. I enjoy Jesus Rand going around being at peace. It's nice to see after how dark he became in book 12.
When Rand and Egwene meet its astounding to read her perspective like she hasn't been out of the Two Rivers for an equal amount of time as him.
Galad chapter is cool and good. Perrin is back to moping about not being a good lord (and he's right). Now that Faile isn't captured he should just keep doing what he was doing though and he'll be fine. I'm looking forward to the rescue or Moiraine and the Slayer fights.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh my god there’s been like 14 straight Aes Sedai chapters in a row in book 10. gently caress this book. Until the last chapter, I’m sure.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh my god there’s been like 14 straight Aes Sedai chapters in a row in book 10. gently caress this book. Until the last chapter, I’m sure.
We did try to warn you... it's the worst book in the series. It gets better starting in book 11.

Now imagine having had to wait 2 years for COT to be written and released and you're reading this slog and now having to wait 2 more years for KOD.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

th3t00t posted:

It gets better starting in book 11.

11 is better, but Henrik - don't get your hopes up that it's like actually a good book.

I'm 6.5 hours (out of 33 hours) into The Gathering Storm and it's definitely the best book in a very long time, but that's not saying much (don't get me wrong - I am enjoying it. Just that comparatively "being enjoyable" isn't a hard bar to hurdle after the last 4). About 30% of the way through what I think is the first Perrin chapter so I think this is the "real test" because Perrin just hasn't been good since like ever :v: I know a lot of people in this thread dislike Egwene, but what about Siuan? Early on, when she was first 'removed' by Elaida, she was one of my favorite characters and I thought her arc would be way more interesting. I feel like she hasn't really done anything. I want to say it was like Book 3 she was taken down, met Logan while fleeing the tower and she swore vengeance on Elaida - we're getting close, but yea it just feels like she hasn't actively done anything other than stand by Egwene's side since then.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Feb 27, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sab669 posted:

11 is better, but Henrik - don't get your hopes up that it's like actually a good book.

I'm 6.5 hours (out of 33 hours) into The Gathering Storm and it's definitely the best book in a very long time, but that's not saying much (don't get me wrong - I am enjoying it. Just that comparatively "being enjoyable" isn't a hard bar to hurdle after the last 4). About 30% of the way through what I think is the first Perrin chapter so I think this is the "real test" because Perrin just hasn't been good since like ever :v: I know a lot of people in this thread dislike Egwene, but what about Siuan? Early on, when she was first 'removed' by Elaida, she was one of my favorite characters and I thought her arc would be way more interesting. I feel like she hasn't really done anything. I want to say it was like Book 3 she was taken down, met Logan while fleeing the tower and she swore vengeance on Elaida - we're getting close, but yea it just feels like she hasn't actively done anything other than stand by Egwene's side since then.

Well, I suggest you continue reading/listening to the book. Things are happening :)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Well, I suggest you continue reading/listening to the book. Things are happening :)

Yea I know there's still a lot of content remaining. I just wanted a Purple Wedding by now :(

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sab669 posted:

Yea I know there's still a lot of content remaining. I just wanted a Purple Wedding by now :(

Just wanted to note how gross those ajah colors actually look when you put them together in a design like the text keeps describing

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

th3t00t posted:

We did try to warn you... it's the worst book in the series. It gets better starting in book 11.

Now imagine having had to wait 2 years for COT to be written and released and you're reading this slog and now having to wait 2 more years for KOD.

Yeah I don't think I'd be still with this series if I had to wait 2 years in between hugely wet farts of the last 6 books. I honestly feel bad for everyone who was reading them in real time.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
You can get the same experience now reading ASoIaF.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I blasted through those after watching the Red Wedding. I had to know what was going to happen next. Still waiting, but at least there's a TV show that's giving us more content than GRRM is.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Sab669 posted:

I'd say 11 is good, not great, it does start slowly. Significantly better than 8-10.

Also, Sab. I've never listened to the audio-books, but I can imagine that it would be easy to start tuning them out after a while and only loosely paying attention. But drat dude, based on that spoiler convo a few posts back you tuned out one of the more action packed scenes to happen in like 2000 pages, and based on your lack of knowledge of the antagonist in that scene you've been tuning things out for a long, long while and you're probably missing out on a lot more. I don't understand why you'd force yourself to consume media you don't enjoy enough to pay attention to, which makes the media even harder to enjoy because you don't have the context to know whats happening or miss HUGE details.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:shrug: There is stuff I think is cool that makes me wanna stick with it, but probably also a little sunk cost fallacy. I've stuck it out this far I may as well finish it, y'know? And it's just that I can really only listen to it while driving, but I legitimately enjoy driving so I'm often just more focused on the road. I did read the first 6 or 7 (I'd have to go check my bookshelf) but I had to switch to audio books around that slump. Outside of commuting, I certainly can't focus on it while I'm at work. I also found out my winter coat interferes with my wireless headphones (:confused:) so I can't listen to it while I walk my dog after work.

Maybe I should try switching back to the books now that it's getting more exciting. I have definitely missed a lot, no doubt about it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I totally tune the audiobooks out during Aes Sedai chapters and feel like I’ve missed nothing.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
In totally staged photo op Brandon tweeted a picture of the Hawaiian beach with a laptop set to writing the prologue for Rhythm of war.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I totally tune the audiobooks out during Aes Sedai chapters and feel like I’ve missed nothing.
I love this series, but at this point in my fandom on re-reads I stop reading perrin/faile/shaido chapters after Dumai's Wells, I stop reading Elayne after Ebou Dar, I stop egwene/salidar chapters after she's raised Amyrlin and start again once she's captured. Generally when it's a character or arc I don't much care for I'll read the first page of a chapter, skip to a random page in the middle and then read the last page of the chapter. It gives me a sense of, "oh that's roughly where Perrin is and what he's doing, and I remember it sucked and I didn't like it, so I'll spare myself the details and move on to the things I do like" So when Perrin shows up somewhere or does something important later I was still kind of following along with how he ended up there.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Dave Hill has become a writer for the WOT amazon series.

"Doesn't it make sense that I would become a writer for WOT after writing for GOT?"

"You're right dave, that does make sense".

"Even though I'm a meme on gay dead internet forums for coming up with the Olly storyline"

This year Dave hill is a writer for WOT.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'll take a GoT writer than those that DMG has supposedly working on Mistborn / Way of Kings.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

th3t00t posted:

stop egwene/salidar chapters after she's raised Amyrlin

Oh god, I almost forgot about the boob ceremony

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Data Graham posted:

That scene has to be in the TV show, it is monumentally important in terms of world building. Also Aes Sedai all being at least bi is critical to depicting the One Power on TV.
The sexposition must flow!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Don't forget all of the important spankings

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

HidaO-Win posted:

That scene has to be in the TV show, it is monumentally important in terms of world building. Also Aes Sedai all being at least bi is critical to depicting the One Power on TV.
The sexposition must flow!

They are going to at least double the number of "pillow friends". It's what the public wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Data Graham posted:

Literally just got to this part and uhhhhh. Robert, my man. We need to talk.

At this point it’s basically all new to me (my memories must only have covered through book 4 or 5?) so no spoilers please, but: am I blind or did they raise her without anybody actually explaining why it had to be her? Lots of talk about the legality, whether she would be capable of it, etc, but Egwene never seemed to actually ask (nor anyone else offer) “why me and not literally anyone else in Salidar?”

Hoping it gets explained shortly but even so it seems like an enormous omission.