Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gladstone
Dec 13, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCYOOoq6Rmc

New Ghostface.

quote:

During an interview Adrian Younge revealed that Twelve Reasons To Die will serve as the score to a vintage, Italian horror film, that takes place in 1968. He also cited RZA and Italian composer Ennio Morricone as two of the inspirations behind his production on the album

Pretty excited for this album now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustafa
Jun 3, 2007
Hay, screw you

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

1. From a few pages back but this was recommended to me and this whole mixtape completely changed my perception of French Montana. Really enjoying it.

Seconding this, downloaded it, it's an excellent mixtape.

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
hey everybody! maybe like three of you will give a gently caress but these are the towns that i am going to be performing rap music in over the next week, please come see me if you're in any of them:

3/14 - orlando, fl (will's pub)
3/15 - st. pete, fl (venture compound)
3/16 - sarasota, fl (pasttimes pub)
3/18 - gainesville, fl (boca fiesta)
3/20 - brooklyn, ny (la salla at cantina royale)

now feel free to continue talking about whether or not gunplay would be cool to hang out with or w/e goes on in here

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Gunplay you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iixeUVKQjKY

e. New Killah Priest video is amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SrHOc7bg9M

asap-salafi fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 13, 2013

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Tyler the Creator is a pretty chill dude.

On Monday he randomly announced he was throwing a free show at a small theater in my town. The rush for tickets got heated and caused a small riot. Riot police showed up, there were news copters everywhere, etc. But the crowd calmed when Tyler announced he would do a second show at 10:30 to accommodate the crowd.

He kept saying he was exhausted from the first show but did a surprisingly awesome set. He went for about an hour and a half and did everything I wanted to hear (which wasn't a lot, I don't really listen to him.)

Here's a video I took. It was like 80% highschool kids but you gotta admire their energy. Solid for a free show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xil5zmOaMLI

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW

Freddie Gibbis posted:

hey everybody! maybe like three of you will give a gently caress but these are the towns that i am going to be performing rap music in over the next week, please come see me if you're in any of them:

now feel free to continue talking about whether or not gunplay would be cool to hang out with or w/e goes on in here

Why aren't you performing at SXSW? I'd come see you goonbro.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

OwlBot 2000 posted:

I don't dislike him, or like him. I just find him a bit boring, is all. The good message part is a positive, if anything -- just an observation.

Dis remix makes me emotional cuz pimp c died yall might hate it tho which Id understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4TM_z-usfg

If you hate on macklamore your just hating to hate seriously you're that guy wearing all camouflage that listens to death grips in the corner at parties.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Freddie Gibbis posted:

Oh poo poo, I might see you there!

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Freddie Gibbis posted:

quote:

Join us for a night of goofs and gags from some of the thirstiest youngsters from the social networking web site Twitter dot com. ! Hosted by Virgil Texas, with musical performance by noted Bay Area rap star Satellite High.

How can I avoid the "goofs and gags" but still see you perform "Bitch We Trappin"?

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgxCVYMmSFo

Fat Tony is getting some buzz with this new tape and I like him because he sounds like Boots.

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 14, 2013

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
im bout to meet the black husserl irl

e: fat tony track slaps, never heard him but this poo poo goes hard

THNDRTHF fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 14, 2013

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Fat tony is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXl3YTyTprA

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylokVxdURxI

now we got ASAP :suicide:

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

hobbez posted:

If you hate on macklamore your just hating to hate seriously you're that guy wearing all camouflage that listens to death grips in the corner at parties.

gently caress Macklemore. That "Thrift Shop" song is trash, and he has the worst rap hands of all time.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
Yeah I wasn't really that against Macklemore, but then he came and performed at my school and it was just horrible and preachy and stupid. It was embarassing to be there.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Freddie Gibbis posted:

Thread not for joke rap. Mods???

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

phractured posted:

Yeah I wasn't really that against Macklemore, but then he came and performed at my school and it was just horrible and preachy and stupid. It was embarassing to be there.

Im gonna see him when he comes to my school um well see?..

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I like that Rap is dead and I like that former Rap superstars now have to beg people like Nicki Minaj and David Guetta to remain relevant and the only one dancing on its grave is Hopsin:

courtesy of gibbis

On to actual rap talk, does gorilla zoe have any tapes worth dl.ing? I really like lost and king kong but those are literally the only songs of his I've ever heard

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
this cop dry snitchin on hisself hahah

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.23197/title.irvington-new-jersey-cop-under-investigation-after-releasing-several-rap-videos

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

the black husserl posted:

How can I avoid the "goofs and gags" but still see you perform "Bitch We Trappin"?

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgxCVYMmSFo

Fat Tony is getting some buzz with this new tape and I like him because he sounds like Boots.
LOL, someone called this inclusive rap. Thank god someone is finally speaking up for all the hood white people.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

Profondo Rosso posted:

I like that Rap is dead and I like that former Rap superstars now have to beg people like Nicki Minaj and David Guetta to remain relevant and the only one dancing on its grave is Hopsin:

courtesy of gibbis

On to actual rap talk, does gorilla zoe have any tapes worth dl.ing? I really like lost and king kong but those are literally the only songs of his I've ever heard

Hollyhood with DJ Teknikz is killer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjyX0NFt5sA

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Long awaited video for Work. Doesn't any like this? Her voice is terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zR6ROjoOX0

Big Sean is horrible. I don't see it. I don't even hate him but he's the most boring person to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVtuaAGX7iw

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I don't get the big sean love either, listened to detroit and it was just boring

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Profondo Rosso posted:

courtesy of gibbis

I know nothing about him except for this really good mashup of Gorilla Zoe and Depeche Mode which is made From A Rollerblader in A Rollerblading section.

Mustafa
Jun 3, 2007
Hay, screw you
Man Iggy Azalea sucks. Does she even have any appeal outside of her image?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
That Iggy Azalea is definitely a single, but it's nowhere near as bad as I expected it to be. And more so, it's not just a woman talking about how bad she sucks dick. When was the last big female rap single that wasn't COMPLETELY sexualized? Also, one that's not Kreayshawn. She doesn't count.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I agree big sean isn't a very good rapper, but he gets hit beats and can sometimes shine. Guap is a pretty great song by him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzudcm-ywJo

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

temple posted:

Long awaited video for Work. Doesn't any like this? Her voice is terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zR6ROjoOX0

Big Sean is horrible. I don't see it. I don't even hate him but he's the most boring person to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVtuaAGX7iw

Big Sean was created for 14 year olds. (I still like him though). That Iggy Azalea is loving poo poo. Listen to some Snow instead, she's not amazing but at least she's not sexualized and you can get hype to her music. She kinda reminds me of the UK grime scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXtgCKhl2_Y

Plus she's like 10 times hotter than Iggy Azalea.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Re: Hood Party

That's a interesting little song. I learned that Kool A.D. is the Das Racist that I like. There are a couple of quotables in there. "All you care about is money and the town that you're from. That's dumb. Isn't that like the Tea Party platform?". And El-P had a decent verse.

Guap: That's cool. I guess he does some good stuff. But I think he is usually the most boring person on his features or collaborations.

Boywhiz88 posted:

That Iggy Azalea is definitely a single, but it's nowhere near as bad as I expected it to be. And more so, it's not just a woman talking about how bad she sucks dick. When was the last big female rap single that wasn't COMPLETELY sexualized? Also, one that's not Kreayshawn. She doesn't count.
LOL, you talking about the rapper that made 2 videos for her single Pussy

temple fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 14, 2013

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

temple posted:

LOL, you talking about the rapper that made 2 videos for her single Pussy

Believe me, I know that (I've actually not paid attention to her because of Pu$$y). But I'm just saying for what's about to be her big single on her major label debut, it's nice to have a switch up from the Lil' Kim//Trina style. Honestly, Nikki's not much better either but what can ya do. It's just not to see her completely tits talking about sucking a guy's dick. I mean she's clearly sexualized but at least it isn't to the nth degree.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 14, 2013

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

asap-salafi posted:

she's not amazing but at least she's not sexualized

OOPS

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Boywhiz88 posted:

Believe me, I know that (I've actually not paid attention to her because of Pu$$y). But I'm just saying for what's about to be her big single on her major label debut, it's nice to have a switch up from the Lil' Kim//Trina style. Honestly, Nikki's not much better either but what can ya do. It's just not to see her completely tits talking about sucking a guy's dick. I mean she's clearly sexuality but at least it isn't to the nth degree.
I hear you. But this song is a drop compared to the flood of sexual imagery. She has something but I don't think her "talent" is being developed. Her and A$AP Rocky make/made a good pair though. They both have a air of being shallow but proud of it.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

That's not her appeal though. I respect her and people like Rapsody for being able to come into the rap industry and not talk about boobies/show their boobies. For an industry where women are treated like poo poo unless they show a bit of skin, they've both done a great job to avoid the bullshit and stick to the rapping part.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

asap-salafi posted:

That's not her appeal though. I respect her and people like Rapsody for being able to come into the rap industry and not talk about boobies/show their boobies. For an industry where women are treated like poo poo unless they show a bit of skin, they've both done a great job to avoid the bullshit and stick to the rapping part.

Female artists should not need to act or conduct themselves in a certain way to earn your "respect". You are missing the point. At the end of your post you deliberately objectified both of those artists. You are contributing to and perpetuating the very things you're applauding them for "avoiding". You are the problem.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
I don't understand how I objectified them. I was just trying to pay some dues to female rappers that are doing well for themselves and don't have anything to do with sex.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

asap-salafi posted:

I don't understand how I objectified them. I was just trying to pay some dues to female rappers that are doing well for themselves and don't have anything to do with sex.

You don't understand how this:

asap-salafi posted:

connects to this:

asap-salafi posted:

being able to come into the rap industry and not talk about boobies/show their boobies.

Really?

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
No.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

stay depressed posted:

Female artists should not need to act or conduct themselves in a certain way to earn your "respect". You are missing the point. At the end of your post you deliberately objectified both of those artists. You are contributing to and perpetuating the very things you're applauding them for "avoiding". You are the problem.

Why should women get a pass just because they're women? If they suck they suck. The same way folks poo poo on OF for not conforming their lyrics to whatever "certain elements" thought was proper, dudes have the right to not wanna like some female artist because of their image/music or whatever. Women have the absolute right to present themselves however they want, but just because they fit someone's idea of what is "progressive" doesn't mean poo poo. If an artist wants his, mine, yours, or anyone's respect, they most certainly need to act a certain way.

Also how come the only thing in rap that seemingly "certain elements" have no issues with is black people killing each other? Call someone a bitch or human being or ho, talk about rape or whatever and "certain elements" wanna jump in with pitchforks and #socialjustice hash tags. But those same elements always stay silent when someone talks about how many people he killed/is killing/will kill.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 14, 2013

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

She's not ready to debut. She could use a couple more mix tapes with some big name producers , and a couple big street singles. I don't think Pussy and Murda Bizness were enough.

Also, if TI really believes she's ready then why not feature her on his album?

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
Pointing out how a possible reason to like one female artist over another is that one of them is hotter than the other contributes to the idea and the social expectation that a female artist NEEDS to be sexualized or objectified in order to be noticed, regardless of whether or not it's something they want to do. The entire reason the second quote exists is because of the first one. If you feel like all female artists are sexualizing themselves to get noticed/famous/succeed, you are missing the forest for the trees. You don't think it's possible that they are under a greater social pressure to perform and create art in that way to succeed?

They are free to make art that is as sexual or to sexualize themselves in their art as much as they want. The issue is when they are expected to do so. Suggesting that one artist is more worthy of attention because she is hotter contributes to that overall expectation.

alansmithee posted:

Why should women get a pass just because they're women? If they suck they suck. The same way folks poo poo on OF for not conforming their lyrics to whatever "certain elements" thought was proper, dudes have the right to not wanna like some female artist because of their image/music or whatever. Women have the absolute right to present themselves however they want, but just because they fit someone's idea of what is "progressive" doesn't mean poo poo.

Also how come the only thing in rap that seemingly "certain elements" have no issues with is black people killing each other? Call someone a bitch or human being or ho, talk about rape or whatever and "certain elements" wanna jump in with pitchforks and #socialjustice hash tags. But those same elements always stay silent when someone talks about how many people he killed/is killing/will kill.

To address the second point here, I cannot pretend that I can take a meaningful position w/r/t racial violence without being intellectually dishonest and not treating those with a greater body of knowledge and perspective on the issue with the respect they are due. I'm sorry that I cannot properly approach that kind of racial violence with a useful perspective and that is my failing and nobody else's. That does not mean I shouldn't be allowed to speak up for things I believe in. I would like to do more to combat those things you're describing but I'm not at a point where I can do so yet. I can get better, and so can many of us. It will be a community effort and putting forth that someone only wants to complain about their "pet issues" isn't taking into account that maybe they aren't comfortable addressing other issues without having the same intellectual footing.

stay depressed fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

stay depressed posted:

Pointing out how a possible reason to like one female artist over another is that one of them is hotter than the other contributes to the idea and the social expectation that a female artist NEEDS to be sexualized or objectified in order to be noticed, regardless of whether or not it's something they want to do. The entire reason the second quote exists is because of the first one. If you feel like all female artists are sexualizing themselves to get noticed/famous/succeed, you are missing the forest for the trees. You don't think it's possible that they are under a greater social pressure to perform and create art in that way to succeed?

They are free to make art that is as sexual or to sexualize themselves in their art as much as they want. The issue is when they are expected to do so. Suggesting that one artist is more worthy of attention because she is hotter contributes to that overall expectation.

Um, but I never implied that she needs to be sexualized to be noticed. It was just an additional point stating that she is cute. My second post even reiterated this by saying that even though she could potentially take her clothes off and sell 100x more records, she hasn't. And that's awesome. I understand that a social pressure exists, which is why I respect female artists that don't give a gently caress about society and defy it by doing well anyways. Nicki Minaj didn't do this and that's one of the reasons I don't like her anymore. She's free to do whatever she wants but shaking your butt in every single video gets a little boring.

• Locked thread