Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Sorry to hear that grav :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Sounds like a really cool man, gravi. Sorry to hear he's dead. :(

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

pile of brown posted:

I wasn't aware there were different kinds; everything I found that wasn't "buy our products" said the source didn't matter. That could very well be the source of my problems though.

Is willpowder still the site of choice or should I try somewhere else?

I think modernistpantry.com is the go-to site these days.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

GrAviTy84 posted:

Welp. Just found out my grandpa passed away last night. :(

Thanks for putting up with my culinary experimentations when I was young and I would cook you scrambled eggs with waaaayy too much sriracha for breakfast and for buying me my first electric guitar. And for letting me win at chess sometimes. I will miss you Lolo.

:( the number if grandparents signing off is too high..

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

The call came... Offered team 1 in Basecamp Emergency Response Unit in Tacloban, depending on outcome of initial analysis (is it safe enough to go there now)

Will be spending Christmas there, as it looks right now...

This is awesome/terrible/hosed up...

Boss has asked me what will gently caress up at company...

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Sorry, Grav :( Condolences.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

pile of brown posted:

Who has experience with maltodextrin powders?

Been messing around with it at work, but its not acting the way I expect. Its taking substantially more malto to dry out oil than the recipes I've seen online, and its still not as dry as I was hoping for. It also has a really clumpy sticky mouthfeel that makes it weird to eat at best

I have the exact same problem. I have finally kind of given up on it, but I have a big tub from willpowder too. maybe it's the source?

I figured I needed a vitamix or something similar to help disburse the product evenly, and then I didn't have one - I do now, but haven't given it another try.

the first time I used malto I ended up with this crazily thick goo that was inedible and also wouldn't clean off of the bowl I was mixing it in. I like put it through a wash cycle, still on there. :(

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Welp. Just found out my grandpa passed away last night. :(

Thanks for putting up with my culinary experimentations when I was young and I would cook you scrambled eggs with waaaayy too much sriracha for breakfast and for buying me my first electric guitar. And for letting me win at chess sometimes. I will miss you Lolo.

This is unfortunate. All the best.

Happy Hat posted:

The call came... Offered team 1 in Basecamp Emergency Response Unit in Tacloban, depending on outcome of initial analysis (is it safe enough to go there now)

This is good. Do good work.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

mediaphage posted:

I think modernistpantry.com is the go-to site these days.

Modernistpantry charges $25 for 400g N-Zorbit-M, willpowder charges $9.25 for 1 lb. So on this one I'd go with willpowder.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Sorry to hear that, Grav. I would love to have mine around still.

Happy Hat posted:

Point him to how GWS deteriorated in your absence and explain that most likely things will be taken over by rampant HR 'professionals' arranging sing-alongs and teambuilding-making-nice-sessions in that infuriating, sex-less, passionless manner they have.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I wanna gently caress an HR consultant one day while the rest of the teambuilding participants stand around us and clap the beat.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Dane posted:

Modernistpantry charges $25 for 400g N-Zorbit-M, willpowder charges $9.25 for 1 lb. So on this one I'd go with willpowder.

I just said it was the go-to site, not necessarily the best. I'd def agree in this case.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Sjurygg posted:

I wanna gently caress an HR consultant one day while the rest of the teambuilding participants stand around us and clap the beat.

A wonderful sentiment, and a worthwhile goal.

I'm looking to buy some vanilla beans for some Christmas bakes....but the local store is trying to sodomize me on the price. Anyone have luck with online vendors; if so, suggestions?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sacrilage posted:

I'm looking to buy some vanilla beans for some Christmas bakes....but the local store is trying to sodomize me on the price. Anyone have luck with online vendors; if so, suggestions?

best local vendor for me has been homebrew shops surprisingly. Fresh pliable pods, affordable.

thanks for the condolences everyone :)

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 12, 2013

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

GrAviTy84 posted:

best local vendor for me has been homebrew shops surprisingly. Fresh pliable pods, affordable.

Cheers, will seek out.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Sorry to hear about you grampa, Gravity :(

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Sacrilage posted:

I use this guy:
http://www.vanillaproductsusa.com/servlet/StoreFront

http://www.ebay.com/usr/vanillaproducts

Great prices for massive grips of great vanilla beans. My only problem was I bought too much (1lbs) and I'm on the fence about whether to replace my stash or keep using these two year old beans that are apparently still decent

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 12, 2013

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Steve Yun posted:

My only problem was I bought too much (1lbs) and I'm on the fence about whether to replace my stash or keep using these two year old beans that are apparently still decent

Of all the cooking problems to have....yeah, sorry, hard to pity that one.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Any other suggestions for vendors of bulk spices, especially the weird bitter stuff I can only otherwise find at kaylustian's?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I use this guy:
http://www.vanillaproductsusa.com/servlet/StoreFront

Great prices for massive grips of great vanilla beans. My only problem was I bought too much (1lbs) and I'm on the fence about whether to replace my stash or keep using these two year old beans that are apparently still decent

Replace them for using the fresh bean, definitely. But keep the old ones and make extract with high-proof ethanol.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Drinking beer, eating souse and smoked tongue.

Soon my breath will be a killing word.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.
I used these guys for Saffron; quality was surprisingly good for the price, but that was last year.

E: holy poo poo they have vanilla too...so much for my vanilla problem

:facepalm:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Vegetable Melange posted:

Any other suggestions for vendors of bulk spices, especially the weird bitter stuff I can only otherwise find at kaylustian's?

Patel Bros and subzi mandi in Jackson heights has masses of cheap spices. Kalustyan is way way overpriced.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

mediaphage posted:

I just said it was the go-to site, not necessarily the best. I'd def agree in this case.

Willpowder also uses fulfillment by Amazon so you can get it shipped free with Prime.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Sorry grav :( he sounds like he was awesome.

Went to Costco this weekend and there was a Unibroue taster set, with Fin du Monde and Trois Pistoles and Maudite. I've had the first and my husband has had the second, but neither of us have had the third, so we are excited.

Also I made savory pumpkin bread and it is amazing.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Chemmy posted:

Willpowder also uses fulfillment by Amazon so you can get it shipped free with Prime.

Amazon fulfilment treats their workers like poo poo so that would be a negative reason in my book. Sorry...

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

therattle posted:

Amazon fulfilment treats their workers like poo poo so that would be a negative reason in my book. Sorry...

Also the post office is making the newer workers take on the extra Sunday shifts and none of the more experienced workers. Also, they're not paying OT for it. It basically sucks hard on both sides.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Company has accepted, wife and kids have accepted, Red Cross has been informed...

Anybody got any good restaurants in Tacloban region? (Bit of humor there).

I will know Thursday if I leave Monday..

Should probably figure out about getting vaccinations...

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

What type of work?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

Company has accepted, wife and kids have accepted, Red Cross has been informed...

Congrats on being awesome and being qualified to do such good work, HH. Good luck and godspeed.

In other news, I found a spice shop which turns out to be part of a small chain. I like it better than Penzy's just for the fact that their selection runs closer to my tastes. Less BBQ rubs, more salts. https://secure.spicemerchants.biz/sm/ Or if you're in Fairfax, VA they have a store there.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Happy Hat posted:

Good luck! It's going to be hard work out there judging by what we're seeing here.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Wroughtirony posted:

Congrats on being awesome and being qualified to do such good work, HH. Good luck and godspeed.

In other news, I found a spice shop which turns out to be part of a small chain. I like it better than Penzy's just for the fact that their selection runs closer to my tastes. Less BBQ rubs, more salts. https://secure.spicemerchants.biz/sm/ Or if you're in Fairfax, VA they have a store there.

There's a Lotte in Chantilly, VA that has ALL the spices. They're reasonably priced, and huge.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Sjurygg posted:

What type of work?

Basically managing a tech staff, a hotel staff and a kitchen... So hotel director I guess.

First I need to put up camp together with the tech guys, then organize the running of it, and liasing with the locals, and the other aid organizations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Happy Hat posted:

Basically managing a tech staff, a hotel staff and a kitchen... So hotel director I guess.

First I need to put up camp together with the tech guys, then organize the running of it, and liasing with the locals, and the other aid organizations.

Huh, I never knew my only marketable skill, "yelling into a cellphone" would be useful for disaster relief.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Speaking of the typhoon disaster if anyone wants to donate the Philippine Red Cross donation page is here:

Pick Supertyhoon Yolanda from the campaign pulldown menu
http://ushare.redcross.org.ph/

(1000 philippine pesos = roughly US$23)

Soundtrack To Mary
Nov 12, 2007

ZOMBY WOOF

Happy Hat posted:

Just found out what Tacloban is.

You're a better man than I, Mr. Hat. :denmark: Stay safe.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

bunnielab posted:

Huh, I never knew my only marketable skill, "yelling into a cellphone" would be useful for disaster relief.

Um, it's one of the most crucial skills in a disaster zone let me assure you.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Dino's whole "vegan" act is a giant sham

Sellout.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 13, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Steve Yun posted:

Those dino nuggets look way too "healthy" compared to what we used to eat in college.

They left out the globs of ranch + frank's red hot sauce that have to accompany them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Steve Yun posted:

Sellout.

Like there's any meat in those.