Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Race Realists posted:

Did a little bit of googling.

regedit > EnableLinkedConnections? Cold or hot here?

Winner!

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee844140%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Did you have to use the hint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Oh hey a problem I ran into today!

My solution was to just map the network drives under the admin command prompt but that sounds like a better idea.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Did you have to use the hint?

is this a trick question?

how in the living gently caress did you find this out? this is the first ive ever heard of authentication tokens....

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 22, 2014

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Race Realists posted:

how in the living gently caress did you find this out? this is the first ive ever heard of authentication tokens....

For me, and I'm sure a lot of us here, Google is my second brain. In 99.999% of cases, the problem you're seeing has been run into by someone else and has a post about it somewhere on the Internet.

As it's been previously stated, there's no way you can ever hold every possible support scenario in your head, but the ability to research and weed out the signal from the noise is where much of IT talent lies these days.

Anyone can Google "Error X", but it takes skill and experience to recognize the solutions that make sense out of the results.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
And understand the nature of the error itself and not just the symptoms

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Race Realists posted:

Honestly, it was probably a problem he had to google. You can go from big issues like that to tiny ones, for example:

When you press f10 in a program, a PDF pops up in a window. However on some PC's, it pops up on the taskbar and doesn't open in a window.

E: Windows.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 22, 2014

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Race Realists posted:

This was an escalation for the product I help support. It went through all three tiers. The mapped drives simply wouldn't show up in the list.

I got on the system and ruled out everything else it could possibly be. Synology was set up right, everything had the right permissions, the registry keys we reference weren't missing or locked out, and so on.

Then I decided to try to copy some files with cmd just to see what was up, but cmd couldn't see the drive either!

Previous searches had been unsuccessful, but when I added cmd to the search terms, I started finding hints that it could be UAC.

You can't turn UAC off without a reboot, so I wanted to be sure. I refined my search even further by adding UAC, and that's how I found that technet article (and dozens of random forums-type posts on various sites).

Technet is a reputable source, so I asked the customer to either disable UAC or do the registry edits and reboot at his earliest convenience. It worked.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
We get similar issues due to a few Novell file servers still in use; easiest trigger is to try and copy something from the network to a location you need to elevate to write to, like Program Files or Public Desktop. Occasionally you get installs that fail as well looking for novell drives.

I knew there was an access difference between logged in and elevated, but didn't know about the registry setting, so thanks for that :shobon:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Ok then ConfusedUs, here is a recent ticket of mine:
- Win XP Embedded thin client
- Joined to the domain
- Unable to log in with ANY domain account. Only the local accounts work. Otherwise it produces the error "The system could not log you on...Make sure your username and password are correct.." yada yada
- I'm 10000% I'm typing in the correect usernames/passwords.
- When I log in with the local admin account, I can browse to a server share, I put in my domain credentials when it asks and it opens.

This stupid thin client just refuses to let me log in and it is very frustrating.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 22, 2014

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Race Realists posted:

I ran into the issue yesterday (well the inverse). I was working in an admin command prompt, mapped some network drives, and for some reason they wouldn't show up in explorer. Tried remapping them and it said the drive was in use. I can navigate to the drive in CMD but not in explorer for some reason.

Googled "net use mapped drive not showing up in explorer" and one of the first results explained the problem.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Race Realists posted:

Here's a more realistic question I could get:

"Help my printer is not working"

What do you do?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Manslaughter posted:

What do you do?

Shoot the hostage printer.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Manslaughter posted:

What do you do?

Refill the paper.

EDIT: I got called into work on my vacation because the printer was giving off errors. Turns out it was a 50% toner notification. Glad I made the trip down.

Ok just saw this:
http://www.itworld.com/software/402679/ex-network-engineer-faces-prison-after-admitting-he-sabotaged-employers-system

Which one of you is going to jail?

m.hache fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 22, 2014

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
A ticket came in... for an HP laptop whose CD tray keeps popping open. I thought the user might've been bumping it accidentally, but no, it's popping open seemingly whenever the laptop does a check to see if there's anything in it or that it's working. Google leads me to http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/CD-DVD-Drive-Keeps-Popping-Open/td-p/2173681 which tells me it's a problem with the model a lot of people have noticed, but there's about 8 different solutions in there people have said have/haven't worked.

Has anyone had this issue with this and where should I be starting here?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

President Ark posted:

A ticket came in... for an HP laptop whose CD tray keeps popping open. I thought the user might've been bumping it accidentally, but no, it's popping open seemingly whenever the laptop does a check to see if there's anything in it or that it's working. Google leads me to http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/CD-DVD-Drive-Keeps-Popping-Open/td-p/2173681 which tells me it's a problem with the model a lot of people have noticed, but there's about 8 different solutions in there people have said have/haven't worked.

RIP the slimline out into a USB enclosure and cover the laptop hole with some bondo.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Here is a ticket you can probably solve without Google. Users in a design lab are trying to launch a Java based web application on Windows from their browser (this particular one specifies IE10, lets say), but when they try to launch the app from within the website, IE prompts the user to save a .asp file to their hard drive and nothing else happens. The correct version of the Java runtime is installed on the system. Running the same web app from IE10 with the same Java runtime works fine on other Windows machines in the building.

Where do you look to fix this problem? Does anything need to be reinstalled?

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
Here's one I used for a while that I think I stole from a previous incarnation of this thread:

User 1 cannot log into his corporate Windows workstation while standing up. His username is blewis and his password is AnPl4WcP.

If you'd like to have another user try: User 2 cannot log into the workstation at all. Her username is lwright. Her password is grandma05.

Or maybe your onsite tech? Tech 1 can log into the computer just fine, sitting or standing. His username is gvenus and his password is FUCKTH!SJ0B.

Solution: User 1 spilled Dr Pepper on his keyboard. Drinking soft drinks at your desk is forbidden and he knew he'd get in trouble if he asked for a new keyboard. Instead, he removed all the keys to clean the keyboard, then when he replaced them, he swapped the N and M keys by mistake. He had to look at the keys when typing while standing. User 2 didn't touch-type at all and always had to look at the keys.

I thought this was a contrived example, until I did a bunch of computer moves at a high school a couple years ago. We found about two instances of this problem for every 25 computers we moved.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Variable 5 posted:

Solution: User 1 spilled Dr Pepper on his keyboard. Drinking soft drinks at your desk is forbidden and he knew he'd get in trouble if he asked for a new keyboard. Instead, he removed all the keys to clean the keyboard, then when he replaced them, he swapped the N and M keys by mistake. He had to look at the keys when typing while standing. User 2 didn't touch-type at all and always had to look at the keys.

I would have gotten this wrong. I'd have guessed pepsi.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I was doing some work in a high vandalism lab yesterday, and noticed something looked off with the keyboards. The keys on three of them were all randomized, but they all said SLAYER right in the middle of homerow.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I was doing some work in a high vandalism lab yesterday, and noticed something looked off with the keyboards. The keys on three of them were all randomized, but they all said SLAYER right in the middle of homerow.

kids are dicks.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So an email came in:

Service manager was just laid off. All managerial requests have to go through the owner now.

Should be an interesting next few days.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

blackswordca posted:

So an email came in:

Service manager was just laid off. All managerial requests have to go through the owner now.

Should be an interesting next few days.

Sometimes I wonder if you're just making this up as you go and writing a book to go along with it. No one's that unlucky.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nerdrock posted:

kids are dicks.

Slayer kid is awesome.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

orange sky posted:

No one's that unlucky.

Hahaha. :negative:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
...about why a SQL query was returning weird data!

quote:

SELECT * FROM user.Devices WHERE ( (Devices.IPAddress >N'10.202.0.1') AND (Devices.IPAddress <N'10.202.0.20') ) ORDER BY Devices.DeviceName ASC

The problem stems that SQL isn’t returning the expected results, probably because the IP Address part is being treated as text.
:downs:

(Emphasis mine)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Inspector_666 posted:

Slayer kid is awesome.

I had a phase in college where I did this to every PC I came across. I'm surprised none of the techs tried to kill me.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Oh man, you might have just come across the work of this millenium's Zero Cool!

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

A client calls in, the internet is down, the phones are still working. You know that they have a t1 line for voip and Comcast for the main line. What do you do?

Call Comcast, 99% its an area outage and the ETA is 4-8 hours from now. Call the client back and start a ping-t for their ip. Keep them in the loop and call them back when the internet is up. If you are really first line helpdesk this is all you would need to do. Depending on their response use this as an opportunity to discuss failover capability by getting bonded t1 or another isp. If its a small client just setup failover on the firewall/router, larger clients should already have it setup, and potentially need additional ip addresses.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Thanks for this, I'd been remapping my network drives with an elevated command prompt at every login since we went to Windows 7. I don't get why this isn't the default behavior. Are there any drawbacks to just pushing this regkey out to all our PCs that I'm not thinking of?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

President Ark posted:

I haven't had that issue, however, I do notice that optical drives often have firmware updates posted. I see them all the time on Dell's support pages, so I'd assume HP is similar.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Knormal posted:

Thanks for this, I'd been remapping my network drives with an elevated command prompt at every login since we went to Windows 7. I don't get why this isn't the default behavior. Are there any drawbacks to just pushing this regkey out to all our PCs that I'm not thinking of?

You're welcome!

I'm not sure if there are any drawbacks. I didn't see any talk of issues when I was looking into the problem, outside of comments like yours where people wondered if there were drawbacks.

skooky
Oct 2, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

You're welcome!

I'm not sure if there are any drawbacks. I didn't see any talk of issues when I was looking into the problem, outside of comments like yours where people wondered if there were drawbacks.

I'd have never had UAC enabled in the first place :smuggo:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Eh, the benefits are worth a little weirdness here and there.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

skooky posted:

I'd have never had UAC enabled in the first place :smuggo:

Is that really something to be :smug: about?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sickening posted:

Is that really something to be :smug: about?

I think that was meant to be parody of the people who actually say things like that.

(I hope. :ohdear:)

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I was having trouble with the latest Chrome (version 35) and went to the official Google Group. Didn't solve my problem but I did see that classic Netscape style browser plugins are no longer supported.

Lots of people pissed off that Java doesn't work in Chrome anymore. I would hate to work in a business that used Chrome as the default browser.

Edit: I double checked and it's only on Linux builds.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 23, 2014

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Kyrosiris posted:

I think that was meant to be parody of the people who actually say things like that.

I've definitely run into those people.

skooky
Oct 2, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Apologies, I was hoping the sarcasm would be more obvious but you never know in this industry.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I'm pretty sure that's what :smuggo: is supposed to depict, notice that it's different than :smug:

On the other hand, no one has been updating SAclopedia with the latest smilie definitions, dammit why can we never get updated documentation around here?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

NZAmoeba posted:

I'm pretty sure that's what :smuggo: is supposed to depict, notice that it's different than :smug:

On the other hand, no one has been updating SAclopedia with the latest smilie definitions, dammit why can we never get updated documentation around here?!

Sounds like you're volunteering. Also can you update the org chart while you're at it?

• Locked thread