Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

The improved torpedoes are the same ones that the Aoba has so if you research the Aoba, you no longer have to separately research the Mutsuki's better torpedoes.

I didn't know this, that's great. I recently started the IJN cruiser line and thought the Tenryu and Kuma are both awesome so this is definitely what I will do.

Are there any other examples of cross-tech tree upgrades like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

I didn't know this, that's great. I recently started the IJN cruiser line and thought the Tenryu and Kuma are both awesome so this is definitely what I will do.

As far as I can tell, torpedoes are the only research modules that carry across ships.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

Just be aware that the T5 Cruiser Furutaka, as many can confirm, is a piece of poo poo that you have to suffer through until you get to T6 and beyond.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

grrarg posted:

Don't waste your time and sanity grinding the stock Fuso now. The test server adds a new hull so you don't have to suffer through 18k xp of daily wins to get a decent ship. I have not bothered to look up the specifics since I powered through the Fuso a couple of weeks ago, but it is supposed to be something like 9k xp gets the new hull that gives the full hp, more armor, faster rudder shift, and 19km range. Then for 9k more xp the third hull fills out the AA. They announced another public test for this weekend, so the patch probably will not go live until the end of next week or the week after that.

Thank Shiva you told me that, saves wasting free xp on it.

Also, this fire poo poo is really annoying, especially when driving a battleship. There must be a better balance.

AngrySpork
Nov 9, 2003

The most powerful voice in gaming
So I finally reapplied to the clan since it looks like it's fixed. Applied under the name Sporks. Can someone please approve it? Thanks guys~

Hmm it seems to be having problems, Zaius tried to accept it, but it gave an error, and he also tried to invite me and I can click the accept button but it does nothing :(

I put in a support ticket.

AngrySpork fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 20, 2015

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Junkozeyne posted:

Just be aware that the T5 Cruiser Furutaka, as many can confirm, is a piece of poo poo that you have to suffer through until you get to T6 and beyond.

They are buffing it greatly the next patch, -15s from rotation time and 10km torps.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

El Scotch posted:

Also, this fire poo poo is really annoying, especially when driving a battleship. There must be a better balance.

Keep in mind damage from fires is 100% repairable using the BB repair active. Early on, I used to spam damage control and repair as soon as I got lit up, I wound up wasting a bunch of potential repair. Don't be afraid to let them burn a little, especially if you're not taking very many shell hits.

I do, however, also find the constant flaming halo around the edge of my screen to be incredibly annoying no matter what.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Yay going to get refunded 4.9 million credits for my North Carolina, Iowa gently caress up.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Reztes posted:

Keep in mind damage from fires is 100% repairable using the BB repair active.

The problem isn't getting lit up once, it's getting lit up with every second salvo by a single cruiser, essentially every 20 seconds or sooner if there's more of them, when the skill to put out fires takes 60 seconds to recharge using the expensive consumable. If my New York or Kongo run into a pair of Kumas, Phoenix, Omahas, or even Tenryus that are being driven by good players working together, my ship will burn to death and I will very likely not do any damage to them in return. They don't even need to entertain the certainty of receiving damage by entering torpedo range, they can do the whole thing with HE shells.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 20, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

AngrySpork posted:

So I finally reapplied to the clan since it looks like it's fixed. Applied under the name Sporks. Can someone please approve it? Thanks guys~

Hmm it seems to be having problems, Zaius tried to accept it, but it gave an error, and he also tried to invite me and I can click the accept button but it does nothing :(

I put in a support ticket.

Yeah it's you dude, I accepted three new members this morning without issues. Did you break the clan again? Goddammit sporks this is why we can't have nice things!

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

The problem isn't getting lit up once, it's getting lit up with every second salvo by a single cruiser, essentially every 20 seconds or sooner if there's more of them, when the skill to put out fires takes 60 seconds to recharge using the expensive consumable. If my New York or Kongo run into a pair of Kumas, Phoenix, Omahas, or even Tenryus that are being driven by good players working together, my ship will burn to death and I will very likely not do any damage to them in return. They don't even need to entertain the certainty of receiving damage by entering torpedo range, they can do the whole thing with HE shells.

Right my point was just that you can alleviate a little bit of the pain by timing the use of damage control & repair abilities, and letting yourself burn until you can get away or kill the cruisers- put out all the fires at once and also make sure you're getting 100% effectiveness out of the repair instead of mashing both as soon as the first fire is lit.

Granted against 2 or more cruisers you're probably still hosed unless you get some lucky citadels early in the fight, but almost all 1 v many engagements go poorly.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Furutaka's steering is apparently made out of balsa wood. I no longer fear being citadeled in it so much as the dreaded double rudder lock, which locks me into a cycle wherein my boat rotates too quickly to aim the painfully slow guns or fire the bullets.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just unlocked the New York. What am I in for?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Just unlocked the New York. What am I in for?

Did you like the Wyoming, but think 'You know, this could be more Wyoming than it already is'?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Reztes posted:

Right my point was just that you can alleviate a little bit of the pain by timing the use of damage control & repair abilities, and letting yourself burn until you can get away or kill the cruisers- put out all the fires at once and also make sure you're getting 100% effectiveness out of the repair instead of mashing both as soon as the first fire is lit.

Granted against 2 or more cruisers you're probably still hosed unless you get some lucky citadels early in the fight, but almost all 1 v many engagements go poorly.

You can't get away from those cruisers, they have a 10 to 15 knot speed advantage over a New York and a huge turn speed advantage over both the New York and the Kongo, and if they're well driven you're also incredibly unlikely to even hit, let alone kill them at the 10-12km range they'll be pelting you from.

A single one of them will handily do it too, it just takes a lot longer and increases the chance of human error, or getting someone to help you.

Doesn't matter how you stagger the repairs - you will burn to death and there is nothing you can do to stop it short of a miracle ammo bunker hit in return.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Night10194 posted:

Did you like the Wyoming, but think 'You know, this could be more Wyoming than it already is'?

I think "this isn't too bad now that it's fully upgraded, but I wish I could pen things and also fire at range"

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Applied to SEAMN as Maxipad12.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

PerrineClostermann posted:

I think "this isn't too bad now that it's fully upgraded, but I wish I could pen things and also fire at range"

You still can't fire at range, but you give up two guns to get bigger guns overall that can pen things, and the top hull upgrade has enough AA to destroy a squadron per attack run with the AA upgrade.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 21, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Good news Sporks, WG support contacted me about you breaking the clan webpage. They must have replied to you already?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/in...video-evidence/

Nerf Iowa Buff every battleship to Iowa level

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

NTRabbit posted:

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/in...video-evidence/

Nerf Iowa Buff every battleship to Iowa level

Honestly all I can think while reading that is "Oh no, a battleship you cant just HE spam to death in 30 seconds."

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

DurosKlav posted:

Honestly all I can think while reading that is "Oh no, a battleship you cant just HE spam to death in 30 seconds."

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

HE is just in way too good a spot at the moment. They need to throw in some sort of mechanic that brings in some though it pains me to say, skill factor. Its just too much of a mash face on mouse button, collect lots of xp and credits from damage and fires. While AP has so many factors involved to get any sort of decent consistent damage out of it.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The actual damage HE does is not that bad. Possibly needs slight tweaking, but it's in the realm of where it should be. The problem is all the riders on it. Modules are being knocked out way too often, and fire is just plain too lethal and common. The damage from multiple fires ramps up way too fast, and I'm fairly certain the listed fire percentage chance for shells is either heavily modified by where it hits you, which is not listed anywhere, or is flat out lying. Too many times I've gotten hit by a single shell from a destroyer, gotten set on fire and repaired it, and immediately gotten hit by another single shell and ended up on fire again. The odds of that should be astronomical, after modules and skills are factored in, instead of a moderately common occurrence.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

DurosKlav posted:

HE is just in way too good a spot at the moment. They need to throw in some sort of mechanic that brings in some though it pains me to say, skill factor. Its just too much of a mash face on mouse button, collect lots of xp and credits from damage and fires. While AP has so many factors involved to get any sort of decent consistent damage out of it.

I think one thing would be to remove 2 and 3 stack fires. Make it so only one section of a ship can be on fire at a time and/or each section can only burn once. I've noticed from playing the cleveland that 1 fire isn't terribly crippling most of the time but 2 or more fires are devastating.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

DurosKlav posted:

HE being good is necessary to enable cruisers, and to a lesser extent DDs, to get anything done at all. All the data I've seen on average damage indicates that Battleships are second-place behind carriers at every tier except 4 (where the cruisers do slightly better than the Myogi but worse than the Wyoming) and 7 (where the Myoko's high fire rate lets it barely edge out the Colorado).

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
How do I apply to SEAMN?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

In non complaining about HE, is there a repeatable way get the single file torpedo spread? I've noticed it happening a whole hell of a lot more. Its where the torpedoes start to do hook like a bowling ball and instead of being in like a horizontal line they're in a verticle line with one after another riding in the wake of the one in front.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 21, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I always thought it would make sense for fires to increase visibility and for flooding to cause listing/effect steering, rather than just be DoTs. But I don't know poo poo about balance or meta game or any of that. It would be nice to light up a DD and make it harder for her to hide in smoke though, and BBs wouldn't give a poo poo about visibility anyways.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Astroniomix posted:

I think one thing would be to remove 2 and 3 stack fires. Make it so only one section of a ship can be on fire at a time and/or each section can only burn once. I've noticed from playing the cleveland that 1 fire isn't terribly crippling most of the time but 2 or more fires are devastating.

Technically there are 4 sections of the ship that can catch fire. The stern, bow, midsection, and superstructure. However, only HE/dive bomb hits to those sections can cause a fire, so unless you're deliberately aiming for a fire, you'll generally only light the midsection and superstructure on fire.

The superstructure HP pool on BBs can be reduced, and the amount of damage a fire can deal to the superstructure should be reduced as well. Either that, or distguish between the intensity of fires a ship can suffer from, say a couple of stray HE shells can only start a small fire that does mild damage, while constant HE shells pounding a part of the ship, or dive bombs, can cause more severe fires, like the ones we have now. You could even remove the RNG factor of it, by giving each shell a value that adds to a section's fire level, and once the fire level of a section reaches a breakpoint, it catches ablaze, or the fire grows more intense. Less bullshit "oh hey, the Sims nicked me with one shell, now I'm on fire!".

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

wdarkk posted:

HE being good is necessary to enable cruisers, and to a lesser extent DDs, to get anything done at all. All the data I've seen on average damage indicates that Battleships are second-place behind carriers at every tier except 4 (where the cruisers do slightly better than the Myogi but worse than the Wyoming) and 7 (where the Myoko's high fire rate lets it barely edge out the Colorado).

Even with my rapidly growing collection of arsonist badges thanks to the Cleavland I still think most of the complaints about fire are a result of having to watch your health burn down "slowly" without being able to stop it as opposed to a battleship obliterating your boiler room with AP.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I always thought it would make sense for fires to increase visibility and for flooding to cause listing/effect steering, rather than just be DoTs. But I don't know poo poo about balance or meta game or any of that. It would be nice to light up a DD and make it harder for her to hide in smoke though, and BBs wouldn't give a poo poo about visibility anyways.

This actually happens. Visibility goes up 3km if you're on fire.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
#1 - Think of a clever pun for the form.
#2 - Go to http://na.wargaming.net/clans/1000021838/
#3 - There should be a join button or something, click that.

Fake edit: Tried to approve Maxipad but An Error Occurred.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

wdarkk posted:

I'd say thats mostly from BBs damaging other BB. I'm looking through my screenshots that show rounds where I do a ton of damage and most of my hits are on battleships. I'd say I average just 1 citadel on a cruiser a game. It would be nice if AAR damage screen showed more info. I can see how many strikes I land on various cruisers but I dont know when they're citadels or just 1300 damage shots.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 21, 2015

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
In other news, a Cleveland captain didn't know what the gently caress when I charged directly at him in my Aoba. He got within 4.5 km before I showed him my broadside, nailing his in return all the while. His reward? A nice torp spread in his poop deck.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Just note, nerfing CA HE fire chance indirectly buffs battleships and 203mm CAs. Nerfing 155mm CA gun traverse and ROF indirectly buffs BBs, 203mm CAs, and DDs.
Please nerf the ROF on the Cleveland/Mogami please I like DD buffs

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Astroniomix posted:

Even with my rapidly growing collection of arsonist badges thanks to the Cleavland I still think most of the complaints about fire are a result of having to watch your health burn down "slowly" without being able to stop it as opposed to a battleship obliterating your boiler room with AP.

Honestly I'd much rather burn down than get obliterated by a battleship I couldn't see getting 3 citadels at random while I'm fighting somebody else (North seems to be a magnet for this).

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

wdarkk posted:

Honestly I'd much rather burn down than get obliterated by a battleship I couldn't see getting 3 citadels at random while I'm fighting somebody else (North seems to be a magnet for this).

I wouldn't. If they can use some modicum of aiming to land those shots I'd prefer they get the kill then someone hitting me with 100 HE rounds a minute.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Hazdoc posted:

Just note, nerfing CA HE fire chance indirectly buffs battleships and 203mm CAs. Nerfing 155mm CA gun traverse and ROF indirectly buffs BBs, 203mm CAs, and DDs.
Please nerf the ROF on the Cleveland/Mogami please I like DD buffs

Yeah, why Wargaming decided the mid tier US cruisers, the ships which can put out the highest volume of HE shots, should also have the highest chance of causing a fire on hit is just silly. Fire chance per HE shell goes from 7% on the phoenix and earlier to almost double that at 12% on the Omaha and Cleaveland, and then up again to 14% for the rest of the tree. IJN cruisers are at 12-16% too but those are putting out way fewer shells and I'm sure generating way less bad feels. For comparison, destroyers are around 4-5%.

Definitely one or the other of rate of fire or chance to start a fire should come down on Omaha/Cleaveland IMO.

E: Woah, BB HE has from 20% chance to start fires (tier 3) sliding up to ~36% at tiers 8-10

Reztes fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm just eager to buy my Cleveland and begin making GBS threads all over people with HE.

It's me, I'm the problem.