Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
"Yes! I've managed to get communists to rebel, now I'll disband the army and let the rebels take the capital!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Crazy question. I think I heard jokes about how people would love to see politicians play paradox games before making a decision to vote. I've got a friend who is running for Congress and she's thinking about doing some twitch streams to try and build some media buzz/do things differently.

I'm trying to talk her into doing a stream of Vicki II. Is that something people would be interested in?

There's no way on earth this would help her political career, I don't play Vicki 2, but with the new DLC for CK2 the winning strategy seems to be "become a satanist and eat your own children."

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Crazy question. I think I heard jokes about how people would love to see politicians play paradox games before making a decision to vote. I've got a friend who is running for Congress and she's thinking about doing some twitch streams to try and build some media buzz/do things differently.

I'm trying to talk her into doing a stream of Vicki II. Is that something people would be interested in?

just have her stream that CoD game where you press x to honor our troops and she'll win 100%

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

corn in the bible posted:

just have her stream that CoD game where you press x to honor our troops and she'll win 100%

F

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Gonna have her play as vikings, capture the pope and sacrifice him to Odin.

Edit:

But seriously, I was thinking Brazil in Vicki2 is nice because right off the bat you can abolish slavery and become a bastion for immigrants.

And also you have to focus early on improving literacy.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 11, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Gonna have her play as vikings, capture the pope and sacrifice him to Odin.

Edit:

But seriously, I was thinking Brazil in Vicki2 is nice because right off the bat you can abolish slavery and become a bastion for immigrants.

And also you have to focus early on improving literacy.

Has she even played the game before? Vicki2 isn't super user friendly so your politician friend is either going to lose immediately or everyone on the twitch chat is going to hear a dude explaining how to run a country to the woman they're supposed to vote for. How does any of this seem like a good idea? Also watching a real time Victoria game seems like the most boring thing possible, the only interesting part would be her deciding to not ban slavery for game reasons or something similar.

If she wants to do a twitch livestream thing it should be an action game that she's good enough at that she can beat it while answering questions from the chat

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Quit being pragmatic at my dumb goofball idea.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I just assumed you wanted your friend to win her election.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Skwirl posted:

I just assumed you wanted your friend to win her election.

I'm just being a twit. I appreciate the feedback. It's a good idea to throw ideas past a few people before heading off to the races.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Take her to ubik's basement to play Magna Mundi and stream that.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
:stare:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Just have her stream in skimpy clothing with a facecam, I hear that sells quite well.

I can't stop laughing at the idea of someone publicly bumbling through V2 for the first time as part of a political campaign. Don't forget to annex all the African native states!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Enjoy posted:

Her opponents would have a field day.

"How can you trust someone with the reigns of government when they don't even set all their national focuses to recruit bureaucrats?"

I'm reminded of that US (Maine?) politician that had her opponent run ads against her accusing her of being a bloodthirsty WOW player.

I wonder if she ended up winning, I think I would have voted for her out of nerd principle.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Kuiperdolin posted:

Take her to ubik's basement to play Magna Mundi and stream that.

cruel and unusual punishment.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
If she plays anything CK2 is the most interesting to watch, but yeah, even CK2 isn't that accessible.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Just so we're clear, does this fit into a campaign strategy or just as a way to have fun and relax? Because I can see why playing a paradox game is fun, not so much how it can help one get elected*.

*directly. Obviously learning when to backstab your erstwhile ally is a very useful political skillset that paradox excels at teaching.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If she decides to go with HOI4, be sure to point out that while willingness to play as Germany is a personal choice, it probably wouldn't be appropriate for the stream.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Not without an accurate flags mod anyway.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Phlegmish posted:

I'm reminded of that US (Maine?) politician that had her opponent run ads against her accusing her of being a bloodthirsty WOW player.

I wonder if she ended up winning, I think I would have voted for her out of nerd principle.

She did but then lost re-election two years later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colleen_Madigan

quote:

Colleen Madigan (born January 22, 1964) is an American politician and social worker from Maine. Under the name Colleen Lachowicz, the Democrat from Waterville was elected to the Maine Senate from the 25th District. Her race attracted international attention when the Republican Party of Maine issued press releases condemning her for playing the online video game World of Warcraft, claiming her "disturbing alter-ego" and "time-consuming double life" made her unfit to hold public office.[1][2] She was defeated for re-election two years later by Republican Scott Cyrway.

She returned to her maiden name, Colleen Madigan, in 2014 and was elected to the Maine House of Representatives's District 110 in 2016, winning with 2305 votes to 1661 for Republican Mark Andre.[3][4] (Democratic incumbent Henry Beck was not a candidate for re-election, and Madigan was unopposed in the primary.)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

double nine posted:

Just so we're clear, does this fit into a campaign strategy or just as a way to have fun and relax? Because I can see why playing a paradox game is fun, not so much how it can help one get elected*.

*directly. Obviously learning when to backstab your erstwhile ally is a very useful political skillset that paradox excels at teaching.

There's a lot of brainstorming going on right now, but the idea is to take a non-traditional approach early on to generate buzz in more traditional media.
Probably a safer idea, if we're going to do a video game, to do something old-school and familiar like Duke Nukem Forever.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

There's a lot of brainstorming going on right now, but the idea is to take a non-traditional approach early on to generate buzz in more traditional media.
Probably a safer idea, if we're going to do a video game, to do something old-school and familiar like Duke Nukem Forever.

What

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I like it, leaning into the idea that a good seasoned politician is way into strippers.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Vote for me, I love Olsen Twins jokes that were already dated when this game came out

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Let me be the first to offer condolences on your friends electoral loss.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
you peeps are getting trolled

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Just copy this ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzjRwNUQDRU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
She should play the Vicky2 modern mod and try to puppet the USA as Russia. :getin:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

She should play the Vicky2 modern mod and try to puppet the USA as Russia. :getin:

No puppet! No puppet! You're the puppet!

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

skipThings posted:

you peeps are getting trolled

Hey, this dude's friend could be Brianna Wu.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
Edit: nevermind, derail

Yar The Pirate fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 11, 2017

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yar The Pirate posted:

Edit: nevermind, derail

just post it, its not you'd be interrupting any stirring discussion

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809077&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post470062302

If anyone wants to play hoi4 on sundays, sign up please!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/TheWesterFront/status/841239274259390465

I keep thinking of Vicky II and cracking up.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Hey, for me V2 checks a lot of those boxes! It just really fails at the "accessibility" one.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
It would be a lot more accessible if the in-game economy actually made sense instead of being a mish-mash of ideology, hacks and black magic.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Victoria II is certainly an example of function over form.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

AG3 posted:

It would be a lot more accessible if the in-game economy actually made sense instead of being a mish-mash of ideology, hacks and black magic.

What kind of things are bad about the economy

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Enjoy posted:

What kind of things are bad about the economy
Capitalists are idiots and don't consider supply/demand/resource availability before building factories-
Prestige shifts cause huge spikes in resource availability
Taxation/pop status is a giant black hole of poor information and unclear consequences.
Learning how the economy actually works in V2 takes a lot of time and is basically impossible using the in-game information without a shitload of trial/error. And based on what Wiz's response was when he looked at the code, that's pretty much the case with the underlying code too.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
If people stopped playing Vicky 2 because they didn't know how it worked, literally no one would be playing it, ergo it passes the accessibility criteria as written. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Prestige shifts cause huge spikes in resource availability

No it doesn't make more resources available magically. It just makes you have first dibs/or whatever country) on more resources. The only agent in the economy that can make resources appear out of nothing is Artisans.