Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Waiting for the tweet to go out, but apparently The Undisputed Era won the tag titles tonight against the Street Profits.

Yup:

https://twitter.com/JJWilliamsWON/status/1162187666340884482

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Corporate approved scoops
https://twitter.com/WWENXT/status/1162191316085891073

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Why didn't they just do the title change at Takeover?

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

how did nobody link the greatest heel tactic in the history of nxt https://twitter.com/MrJacobCohen/status/1162174640766300161?s=20

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

So all these feuds are just gonna continue, huh.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

rovert posted:

So they aren't Joshis and you are mad about it?

Don't make personal attacks on other posters, you don't like it when people do it to you, lead by example. Also please don't make me have to read the spoiler thread.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

CarlCX posted:

So all these feuds are just gonna continue, huh.

Seems like the only new feud we may be getting is whoever steps up to feud with Adam Cole next. And I guess Rhea vs Shayna is new as well. :shrug:

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Don't make personal attacks on other posters, you don't like it when people do it to you, lead by example. Also please don't make me have to read the spoiler thread.

I understand just it is just the same thing over and over and over again, it is just wearing and frames the discussion in the most negative way possible. I don't know how to reply to Darkstar's bias otherwise. Rhea is a breath of fresh air and kayfabe wise one of the few strong enough to knock Shayna off.

DarkstarIV posted:

Seems like the only new feud we may be getting is whoever steps up to feud with Adam Cole next. And I guess Rhea vs Shayna is new as well. :shrug:

Rhea vs Shayna has been well received elsewhere online. Rhea deserves the shot. Has served her time in NXT UK and was picked out to be a star by WWE since she was 15 years old.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

rovert posted:

I understand just it is just the same thing over and over and over again, it is just wearing and frames the discussion in the most negative way possible. I don't know how to reply to Darkstar's bias otherwise.

Put them on ignore or report them if you have a regular issue with their posts.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

rovert posted:

Rhea vs Shayna has been well received elsewhere online. Rhea deserves the shot. Has served her time in NXT UK and was picked out to be a star by WWE since she was 15 years old.
Yeah Rhea's cool and deserves a shot and served her time and also said to someone on a live twitch stream "yeah, you know you're a fuckin' oval office, you stupid motherfucking human being" so her work ethic is great.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

rovert posted:

I understand just it is just the same thing over and over and over again, it is just wearing and frames the discussion in the most negative way possible. I don't know how to reply to Darkstar's bias otherwise. Rhea is a breath of fresh air and kayfabe wise one of the few strong enough to knock Shayna off.

Then just don't reply to me. Simple as that. And I don't care how good Rhea is in the ring considering her apology for deciding to drop homophobic slurs on stream was half hearted at best. If they wanted to go with a tweener vs Shayna route, they had Io ready to go. The crowd is going to cheer her no matter what she does. May as well make her into a tweener.

Even if she does dethrone Shayna, what then? Does Tegan come back and feud with her, pushing other talented women like Io and Candice out of the title picture again? Because my bias towards joshi is strong in NXT because its literally the only place they even have the smallest chance of being handled well in WWE.

Kairi's main roster credibility is already shot to pieces, and I don't see either of them (Asuka or Kairi) getting a title any time soon, if ever. The longer they keep Shirai out of the title picture, the less likely it is she'll ever be a champion or find real success in WWE. Because Vince is a racist piece of poo poo and will bury her on the main roster the moment he realizes she can't cut the same 15 minute promo every week.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 16, 2019

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Psychepath posted:

Yeah Rhea's cool and deserves a shot and served her time and also said to someone on a live twitch stream "yeah, you know you're a fuckin' oval office, you stupid motherfucking human being" so her work ethic is great.

I called it out here and elsewhere at the time as completely idiotic and career suicide. And she did apologise. If she does something so stupid again for a bet or not I'll completely wash my hands of her trust me. I had 4chan and Manny and Brennan's Discord come after me over that situation.

Her work ethic hasn't changed before or after the incident. That's why she has gotten the push and opportunities she has had.

To me, it is just it is weird and dishonest to cancel Rhea when you stan Asuka who has worn a Nazi uniform in the past and has never acknowledged/apologised for it.

DarkstarIV posted:

Kairi's main roster credibility is already shot to pieces, and I don't see either of them (Asuka or Kairi) getting a title any time soon, if ever. The longer they keep Shirai out of the title picture, the less likely it is she'll ever be a champion or find real success in WWE. Because Vince is a racist piece of poo poo and will bury her on the main roster the moment he realizes she can't cut the same 15 minute promo every week.

I don't think that makes Vince racist more so he has a set way of formatting TV. Bryan Alvarez posted the same on his forum this week.

rovert fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 16, 2019

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

DarkstarIV posted:

We also may be getting Johnny Gargano and Shane Thorne which is...something.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

mearn posted:

We also may be getting Johnny Gargano and Shane Thorne which is...something.

Thorne seems to be NXT's Bob Holly.

To me Gargano staying in NXT is sign the FS1 show is happening.

Wish there was a Mae Young Classic-esque announcement tonight. After this taping, the year is kinda over in terms of scheduling shows and putting tickets on sale.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

rovert posted:

Thorne seems to be NXT's Bob Holly.

Wish there was a Mae Young Classic-esque announcement tonight. After this taping, the year is kinda over in terms of scheduling shows and putting tickets on sale.

Triple H mentioned they were working on MYC stuff, but they can't say much until after the move to FOX supposedly. That's eating up most of their resources apparently.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

rovert posted:

I called it out here and elsewhere at the time as completely idiotic and career suicide. And she did apologise. If she does something so stupid again for a bet or not I'll completely wash my hands of her trust me. I had 4chan and Manny and Brennan's Discord come after me over that situation.

Her work ethic hasn't changed before or after the incident. That's why she has gotten the push and opportunities she has had.

To me, it is just it is weird and dishonest to cancel Rhea when you stan Asuka who has worn a Nazi uniform in the past and has never acknowledged/apologised for it.

This is actually a fair take IMO. One thing that drives me nuts about wrestling fandom in 2019 is that with a lot of people (not specifically calling out Darkstar nor am I saying this is universally the case), it seems kinda arbitrary or inconsistent who gets perma-canceled and who doesn't in the wake of something like that. Someone like Lars? gently caress him. EC3, who follows a shitload of conservative hacks on Twitter? Later dude. Manny, who's clearly all in on 4chan? No loving thanks. But in a lot of instances people just write people off completely and I dunno how I feel about that.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Rhea's apology kinda sucked, though.

I mean, she didn't double down, I guess, at least, but it wasn't much better than "sorry you were offended".

I don't really care one way or the other if she gets a shot as Baszler because she's probably not even winning. Way worse people than her who have said and done way worse poo poo than her have gotten, are getting and will continue to get much bigger pushes.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MJeff posted:

I mean, she didn't double down, I guess, at least, but it wasn't much better than "sorry you were offended".

I don't disagree, nor would I be mad if Rhea didn't get another chance necessarily. I'm more just speaking generally in the sense that I think SOME people get a bit arbitrary about when and where and who they choose to give second chances and I think it's a bit unfortunate. :shrug:

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

SamuraiFoochs posted:

This is actually a fair take IMO. One thing that drives me nuts about wrestling fandom in 2019 is that with a lot of people (not specifically calling out Darkstar nor am I saying this is universally the case), it seems kinda arbitrary or inconsistent who gets perma-canceled and who doesn't in the wake of something like that. Someone like Lars? gently caress him. EC3, who follows a shitload of conservative hacks on Twitter? Later dude. Manny, who's clearly all in on 4chan? No loving thanks. But in a lot of instances people just write people off completely and I dunno how I feel about that.

The issue with all the people you mentioned as well as Ripley is that they're already employed by a racist sexist creep, so it's too late to "cancel" them. They've been vetted and found to be worth more than any controversy would take away.

Complacency builds contempt. It's worth keeping an eye on the Rhea's or the EC3's still coming up because wrestling can't afford another generation of them.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Going to drop a hot take in here: I wasn't expecting Myles to win against Cole (and I'm glad he didn't), but I don't think NXT has ran any sort of special "attraction" as underwhelming as the Breakout Tournament. The entire thing did no one any favors, and wasted a bunch of air time.

Full spoilers, btw:

quote:

Here are full results from NXT TV at Full Sail University on August 15, 2019

Dark match: Oney Lorcan and Danny Burch def. The Outliers (Riddick Miss and Dorian Mak) w/ Robert Stone

Week 1

- Undisputed Era comes out together. Adam Cole says be did what he promised and is now the greatest NXT champion of all time. Roderick Strong says the prophecy of the Era being draped in gold would have come true, but they were screwed at Takeover. Roderick mentions that he wasn't the one pinned in the match. Kyle O'Reilly shows video that a legal tag was made and that the illegal man was pinned. Fish demands a title rematch. Cole says the prophecy will come true and that is Undisputed.

As they leave, Jordan Myles comes out. Cole says Myles is making a mistake and should maybe challenge Shayna Baszler instead. Myles stands silent, but hands the contract to Cole. Cole goes to grab it, but Myles drops it at Cole's feet, smiles, and walks off.

-Damien Priest def Mansoor.

- Mia Yim def. Vanessa Borne (w/Aliyah.)

Post match: Shayna Baszler offers for Mia to join her, saying it's always warmer under the dragon's wing. Jessamyn Duke and Marina Shafir show up behind Mia. Mia goes to attack, but is laid out.

- Video package for Keith Lee and Dominik Dijakovic.

- Shane Thorne def. Bronson Reed.

- Velveteen Dream says beating Pete Dunne and retaining his title was priceless. He always comes out on top and he likes it on top. He tells Roderick Strong it's his turn to bring something the Dream hasn't seen.

- Killian Dain def. Matt Riddle.

Post match: Riddle and Dain brawl outside the arena.

Week 2

- Io Shirai def. Cami Fields.

Post match: Io Shirai goes to attack Fields with a kendo stick, but Candice LeRae makes the save.

- Dominik Dijakovic def. Keith Lee.

- Shane Thorne comes out to the commentary table, but the crowd couldn't hear what was being said.

- Shayna Baszler and the Horsewomen come out. Shayna is about to speak but is interrupted by Rhea Ripley. Ripley gets in Baszler's face and calls her a b**ch.

- (see end of report)

Week 3

- Breezango def. Chase Parker and Matt Martel.

- Bianca Belair def. Taynara Conti.

- NXT Championship: Adam Cole (c) def. Jordan Myles.

Week 4

- Damian Priest def. Boa.

- Johnny Gargano comes out and thanks everyone at Full Sail and NXT. He says there's a lot of speculation about his future. He is set to announce it, but is interrupted by Shane Thorne. Thorne says NXT would be better without Gargano. Gargano goes to leave but hits Thorne with a superkick and says he's not going anywhere

- Velveteen Dream def. Kona Reeves.

Post match: Roderick Strong appears on the Tron and says he's ready for the spotlight. He asks if Dream is ready and Strong shows that he has set Velveteen Dream's couch on fire.

- Pete Dunne def. Angel Garza.

- Cameron Grimes def. Raul Mendoza.

- Shayna Baszler def. Rhea Ripley by DQ.

- NXT Tag Team Championship: Undisputed Era def. Street Profits to win the NXT Tag Team Championship. (Note: this was the last match taped, but will air in the first two weeks, likely at the end of week 2)

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

TV Zombie posted:

It may be something or nothing but Shotzi Blackheart talked about missing on something today. I think that maybe she was part of this NXT class that was revealed.

Man that would be a shame. She is something special and WWE will never give her a chance.

Kris Statlander is another one who has real talent but will never go anywhere in that system. She isn’t WWE attractive and her gimmick is too weird for them.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Djarum posted:

Man that would be a shame. She is something special and WWE will never give her a chance.

Kris Statlander is another one who has real talent but will never go anywhere in that system. She isn’t WWE attractive and her gimmick is too weird for them.

Shotzi is the top Babyface in my local promotion (Journey Pro) and she loving rules. I don't want her going anywhere!

Envisioned
Dec 31, 2007

Hasta la Sunset Vista, baby

rovert posted:

That was my thought on his bit too, and it's probably his absolute best case. Even if Vince gets way more involved in FS1 NXT, you've got to think Johnny fares better there than main roster.

Hell Ciampa's injury ending their main roster time is looking like the best thing to happen to either of them, Ciampa will come back in hot and they'd otherwise be a nonexistent tag team on Raw.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

MJeff posted:

I don't really care one way or the other if she gets a shot as Baszler because she's probably not even winning. Way worse people than her who have said and done way worse poo poo than her have gotten, are getting and will continue to get much bigger pushes.

I'll never understand people not seeing her apology as something written in haste. And that "sorry if you were offended" is something people say/write reflexively without knowing what they are actually saying. I find it hard to believe she sat down rubbed her hands and decided let's pull the wool over people's eyes here. Especially when her WWE contract and her US visa is on the line.

We are talking about someone who was willing to jeopardise her career for a $20 online bet too not some mastermind.

Djarum posted:

WWE has given Shotzi chances though. She couldn't pass the medical a few years ago due to heart issues. I assume she failed medical this time around.

Erm, what this space on Kris.

rovert fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 16, 2019

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1162227565559341058

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

rovert posted:

I'll never understand people not seeing her apology as something written in haste. And that "sorry if you were offended" is something people say/write reflexively without knowing what they are actually saying. I find it hard to believe she sat down rubbed her hands and decided let's pull the wool over people's eyes here. Especially when her WWE contract and her US visa is on the line.
But that's kind of the problem there. You shouldn't hastily panic and apologise. You should really put a little thought into a public apology. Because of course people are going to drag a public figure whose apology is half-arsed, have you seen woke wrestling Twitter?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hastily throwing out a sucky apology that nobody likes because it was a hasty sucky apology is why a lot of people today think apologies don't do anything and are a bad idea.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

TNA taping results that I know happened (RVD fought Madman Fulton and Tenille Dashwood fought Kiera Hogan, idk who won either)

Xplosion:
Eddie Edwards defeated Cousin Jake Deaner

Jordynne Grace and Rosemary defeat Faby Apache and Vanilla
Moose defeats Fallah Bahh and attacks him postmatch
Su Yung defeats Havok
:siren: Nino Hamburguesa and Big Mami :siren: defeat Desi Hit Squad
Taya Valkyrie defeats Alisha
Michael Elgin defeats Rhino in a street fight
Rich Swann and Willie Mack defeat the Rascalz
Golden Magic wins a fourway against TJP, Taurus and Trey Miguel
Sami Callihan and Dave Crist defeat Tommy Dreamer and Tessa Blanchard
The North retain the tag titles over LAX in a match where LAX would leave the company if they lose

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

But that's kind of the problem there. You shouldn't hastily panic and apologise. You should really put a little thought into a public apology. Because of course people are going to drag a public figure whose apology is half-arsed, have you seen woke wrestling Twitter?

Plus the reason people say that instinctively is because they feel they're in the right and are only apologising because they want to not be yelled at anymore.
It's like a retail worker responding to a complaint 'I'm sorry you feel that way'. They think you're wrong, but they're saying sorry so you leave them alone.
The difference is, Rhea said something that she should know is wrong and thus should be apologising properly.

Qonas
Apr 21, 2010
gently caress cancelling people, and also gently caress Io not getting her title after Kairi was similarly shafted.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

DarkstarIV posted:

Even if she does dethrone Shayna, what then? Does Tegan come back and feud with her, pushing other talented women like Io and Candice out of the title picture again? Because my bias towards joshi is strong in NXT because its literally the only place they even have the smallest chance of being handled well in WWE.

I think that Tegan injured her knee ( at least one of these times) against Rhea at MYC and while that requires the WWE and the fans to play upon that history, a natural feud could be accomplished there instead of haphazardly trying to put Candace or Io in that title picture. But given that Tegan is a bit injury prone, maybe she never gets a shot because WWE may be afraid she gets injured again.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Qonas posted:

gently caress cancelling people, and also gently caress Io not getting her title after Kairi was similarly shafted.

there's a big difference between '~cancelling people~' and not immediately accepting whatever halfassed apology someone tossed out for being casually bigoted in public

just because some people find it easy to overlook and dismiss homophobia and racism doesn't mean everyone does

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I don't think its wrong to be skeptical of/cancel Rhea Ripley, especially considering she hangs out with known shitbirds Mansoor (who is anti-semitic and supposedly a moderator of the 4chan wrestling board), Brennan Williams (who is also a regular on 4chan), and Shane Thorne (regular on 4chan). I think with ONE exception, everyone who has appeared on their stream as a guest has ended up being a terrible person at the end of the day. The exception being Adam Cole, because he wouldn't give details on his or other workers personal/romantic lives, and he didn't spout edgelord alt-right bullshit.

As for the Io situation, the NXT Women's title scene has been a complete mess ever since Evolution last year. Shayna is not bringing anything to the table as champion anymore, but I feel like Rhea will be in the same boat in the sense that she's fairly green and is dumb as hell, among other things. Rhea suddenly being injected into the title scene for no reason is just piss poor booking. Rhea is a tweener at best, and Shayna acts as a hard ceiling for any other women heels in the division. Because Io got a whopping ONE in-ring segment during the tapings last night. While Shayna had 3 or 4.

I'm very curious to know exactly why NXT continues to push Shayna as the big bad of the division, because the majority of viewers seem to be sick of her reign and this MMA horsewomen bullshit. Generally whenever a new star gains a ton of traction, you reward them. Heel Io is probably one of the most interesting personalities in NXT right now. But instead of focusing on that and potentially adding the title into her feuds, they...push her back into a feud with Candice (with no stakes involved) and give us Rhea/Shayna as the title program. And if they do another Io/Candice match at Takeover War Games, it'll almost certainly eclipse the NXT Women's Title match. Again.

All because for god knows what reason, WWE sees Shayna as a bigger star than Io and anyone she is feuding with, when anyone with more than two braincells could tell you that is no longer the case.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nxt will be killed by AEW.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhea is the former NXT UK champion, it's not out of nowhere.

Pete Dunne has done the same poo poo like 4 times but nobody cares when he does. Granted he's not a homophobe idiot though.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But he is a anti union bootlicker who parades around another wwe whortless belt and he thinks he is a big shot

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Aphrodite posted:

Pete Dunne has done the same poo poo like 4 times but nobody cares when he does. Granted he's not a homophobe idiot though.

I would argue it makes less sense than Dunne, simply because he at least had an established history on NXT. You could also argue that he had unfinished business with Roddy at the time. Where Rhea's NXT US debut came out of nowhere, and she's being injected right into a title feud. All because they are desperate to find ways to keep Shayna at the top of the division despite people getting sick of her reign and because ~whoops~ she cleared out the entire division in NA, so now they have to bring over folks from NXT UK to give her more challengers to run over. And her reign is at the point where the non-title women's feud is significantly more interesting and likely drawing more eyes to the product than whatever the champion is doing. Which seems backwards.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Also I don't know where the idea that she's green has come from, she's been wrestling for 6 years.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DoctorGonzo posted:

But he is a anti union bootlicker who parades around another wwe whortless belt and he thinks he is a big shot

No he lost that belt to the guy whose gimmick is that he's a WW1 German proto-nazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Triple H?