Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Is there even anything worth playing for non-ironic reasons on the CDi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Improbable Lobster posted:

Is there even anything worth playing for non-ironic reasons on the CDi?

Laser Lords
Zombie Dinos From Planet Zeltoid

Also a couple of those early 90s FMV games had their best looking versions on the CD-i iirc, and while they're never great they are much more enjoyable when you can actually see what's going in more than 50 colors at once like on the Sega CD. Plus there's copy protection of note, so you can just burn all the games for it, and there's some interesting modern homebrew here and there.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
There are zero CD-I games worth playing that didn't also get ported to PC and most of those are FMV games. Please don't make the mistake of buying a CD-I for Thunder in Paradise or Laser Lords (though the latter's artwork and especially its voice acting are impressively embarrassing even by lovely game voice acting standards).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

fishmech posted:

Today I was reminded that LG actually made a portable CD-i, the model 370, and now I want one.

It includes the digital video expansion you need for some games and thus plays all of the games out there. Even has a rechargeable battery pack to use it away from wall power for a few hours, though you'd surely need to replace the cells inside by now. Also uses all the normal controllers that were available.

Only problem is these things go for like $400 at least...

The... direction buttons are on the right side.

What was this world come to.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011
Friends don't let friends purchase a CD-I.

Friends don't let friends acknowledge the CD-I existed.

The CD-I was just a bad dream, let it fade away.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

al-azad posted:

The device was originally intended for businessmen who'd be presenting things on CD-i format (which was apparently a thing, presumably with very large companies that could afford that sort of thing), so the built in controls are designed around being used like a portable DVD player would be used in the 2000s. For actually playing games on it, you'd use the controllers.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I love my 3DO and CDi unironically but my bad taste is the stuff of legend and I acknowledge that.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I just discovered today by happenstance that some clever folks broke the copy protection on Space Lords, and it's been playable in MAME since .180. I don't have a good rig for it, but I miss that game and wished I could find a place in southern California with a cabinet that I could play.

Speaking of SoCal, SC3 is today at Arcade 2084 in Anaheim. Find a way, So Cal retrogoons. :)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

What the gently caress? I made that guess specifically so that I wouldn't win! The universe has a perverse sense of humor.

I actually have a bit of free time this weekend for the first time in a long while. I think I might try playing a Famicom Dragon Quest game. Now for some reason I don't have DQ1, but should I go for 2, 3, or 4?

Late on this, but whaaaaaaaat? I didn't realize anyone disliked Alien 3. That's such a solid game! I've only played it on the SNES, but still - it's better than it has any right to be.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

Late on this, but whaaaaaaaat? I didn't realize anyone disliked Alien 3. That's such a solid game! I've only played it on the SNES, but still - it's better than it has any right to be.

Sega Alien 3 is a totally different game where you have to go through maze-like levels and rescue hostages. Mind you, I think it's even better than the SNES game - as far as licensed games go, they're both really good.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

The Alien 3 action figure NECA did is the best thing to come out of the Alien 3 game.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

al-azad posted:

For your mortification, the very first Sony MSX joypads are these dudes. Good for southpaws I guess.

That CD-i portable looks slick as heck.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Kim Justice posted:

Sega Alien 3 is a totally different game where you have to go through maze-like levels and rescue hostages. Mind you, I think it's even better than the SNES game - as far as licensed games go, they're both really good.

The SNES version is wayyyyyy better than the Genesis version. That was my first rude awakening as a kid that games on different platforms can be very different.

To continue Alien3 chat, the lightgun arcade game is pretty neat and has some really impressive artwork and sprites. The Aliens: Infestation DS game even has some callbacks to it.

The Alien3 Game Boy game is an adventure game where you explore the prison and collect objects and talk with characters, and it's arguably the closest to the movie it's based on since it's not a run and gun shooter.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Laser Lords is easily the most interesting game on the CD-i. It probably deserves a remake with better controls and stuff. Also, it doesn't require the FMV addon, since I don't have one but my CD-i plays Laser Lords just fine.

You're probably better off just watching SuperGreatFriend's LP of it though.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

al-azad posted:

One of the best selling handhelds with a z80 processor had gaming controls like this.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Light Gun Man posted:

Laser Lords is easily the most interesting game on the CD-i. It probably deserves a remake with better controls and stuff. Also, it doesn't require the FMV addon, since I don't have one but my CD-i plays Laser Lords just fine.

You're probably better off just watching SuperGreatFriend's LP of it though.

I approve.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kim Justice posted:

If I had to play one version of Alien 3 (and I think there's more versions than that, IIRC; I think pretty much every gaming platform and computer system got their own unique Alien 3 game) I'd go with the Genesis one. Though I don't think any version is an especially great game. I just guessed it because why would anybody care about an Alien 3 cart?

Anyhoo, I had to go into the "city" today for a bit so I swung by my local overpriced retrogame store and it's so picked over that I feel like I shouldn't really call it a retrogame store at this point and more of a bare shelves and used recent game emporium. Still, going through their "we don't have cases and we're not spending the dime to put them in one" bin I found several things that filled holes in my collection for $3 each.

Vigilante 8 2 which I'm positive is going to be worse than I-82 even though I-82 isn't that great to begin with. Still last game in the I-76/Vigilante 8 series I needed to get.
Spider-Man 2, the PS1 one, not the good one. I'm on the record as not being a big fan of these games until the PS2/GameCube/Xbox games but again, last game in the series I needed to get.
Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness was the only Tomb Raider game I didn't have even though it's also terrible. (Are you starting to see a theme emerging?)
Blinx: The Timesweeper actually doesn't complete a set for me, shockingly, I just thought I'd grab it. Also Singstar which is now ten years old so I'm mentioning it even though I mainly got it on a lark.

And now I just realized the music game craze was ten years ago. drat you march of time, drat you to hell!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Charles Get-Out posted:

For your mortification, the very first Sony MSX joypads are these dudes. Good for southpaws I guess.

That CD-i portable looks slick as heck.

As a southpaw I never got these reversed control schemes, tried it with the gravis gamepad I remember. I wonder if any fighting game players play with buttons left stick right.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

As a southpaw I never got these reversed control schemes, tried it with the gravis gamepad I remember. I wonder if any fighting game players play with buttons left stick right.

With emulators I often play with the control pad handled by my right hand and my buttons with my left. I think the positions of the sticks/pads matter less than the ergonomics of the situation.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

univbee posted:

Fellow lefty checking in, I never understood it either. I just used normal controls.

On controllers I play inverted though and I use a lefty mouse on PC

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

al-azad posted:

http://segaretro.org/Control_Stick

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I played Doom the way god intended: left hand arrow keys, right hand mouse. Left mouse shoot, double right to open doors, middle button to strafe :smug:

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
God intended the numbpad.

Edit - God sometimes makes mistakes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

YESS I love making this post a lot because I love Alien 3 here it goes:

Alien 3 SNES: A very good game that effectively captures a lot of the aesthetic of the movie and has a some cool things going on in it regarding its level design. Great sound too with with a short but thorough soundtrack that takes ques from Alien, Aliens, and Alien 3 itself.. This version, Alien 3 on the GB, and Alien 3: THE GUN in the arcades were released in 1993. This is the only Alien 3 game that has Ripley falling into the leadworks at the end of it.

Alien 3 on the Genesis (first), then Amiga/C64/SMS/GG and finally very late ports to the SNES and Game Gear in 1994:

This is the same game across systems with very little variation, but the Genesis and Amiga versions are the only ones worth playing today. This is the one where you're on a timer and have to rescue prisoners. The NES version has less prisoners to save per level but also has a more successful look to me. Like Batman: Return of the Joker it does a great job of being colorful but looking dark and foreboding at the same time. It also ***HAS AN ALL NEW SOUNDTRACK BY JOROEN TEL THAT ISN'T ON ANY OTHER VERSION*** ...........BUT, something about that timer. In the NES version you can do a perfect run of a level and you'll only have like ten seconds left on the clock, it's crazy. You make ONE wrong turn you're restarting. I heard once that this was actually a glitch in the game and that the timer counts down faster than its supposed to by accident but haven't been abel to verify that.

One thing that's really disappointing about these games is that the aliens themselves all look really murky and indistinct. Weirdly they look best on the Amiga and the Master System.

Alien 3 for Game Boy:

This one is from Bits Studio, it's awesome and doesn't outlive its welcome. It's an overhead game that takes place over two hours, after which the company arrives and starts executing people. So a bunch of events happen at certain times, but in the mean time you get to talk to folks and locate weapons and stuff. I find the writing to the game very impressive. There's very little of it and its simple but they somehow, without including any profanity, managed to capture the "voice" of how Dillon, etc. talk in the movie. Anyway UNlike in the movie there actually is a security office and an armory and way to repair the EEV in this game, so you get to walk around trying to get all the gear you need to kill every alien in the facility and then escape before the company arrives. :black101: When you beat the game it tallies up how many prisoners are still alive - There's quite a few eggs in the game and a finite number of prisoners so if you waste too much time the game can get be way more of a pain later.

Alien 3: THE GUN:

This game looks and sounds awesome. Its HUD is also I think the first really successful execution of "we did extra work to make this look like a lovely transmission." I'm also very sure its creators had access to a lot of early Alien 3 stuff - the combat synthetics, ox-burster, an unnamed but definitively human Bishop, sentry guns, the queen facehugger, there's a bunch of odds and ends in it from unmade/unused Alien 3 incarnations! You don't actually play as Ripley in this one, instead you're two nameless marines sent on a rescue mission to recover the Sulaco and that escape pod, but instead everything's infested with aliens so a lot of blasting happens. Also unlike other licensed games this is accurate to its source material in that your character actually exclaims "gently caress!" when the set everything on fire to flush the alien out goes awry and a great "AW poo poo!" when the Alien pops up out of the molten lead at the end. The game owns.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 23, 2017

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

cosmicjim posted:

God intended the numbpad.

Edit - God sometimes makes mistakes.

I basically found the solution though: http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2016/07/retrocomputing-why-bother-shadowcaster.html USB numpad on the left side, small keyboard on the center, mouse on the right.

Whenever I actually get off my rear end and buy a Bluetooth dongle anyhow.

Also on Alien chat I think the only home released title I don't own is the MSX Aliens game which is kind of poo poo. And expensive. I mean I only paid like 5 bucks for Colonial Marines but 100+ for an MSX side scrolling game? Yeah not gonna happen. I'd be hard pressed to pay that for one of the 5 Alien arcade game cabs. (100 bucks for a good working arcade game cabinet isn't likely. Maybe Space Invaders in 1986 which I legit saw but that was a totally different era.)

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 23, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I remember the original PC port for Final Fantasy VII mapped all of the default controls to the numpad. I'm not sure what people without one did because controls had to be changed by navigating the game's menu.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mak0rz posted:

I remember the original PC port for Final Fantasy VII mapped all of the default controls to the numpad. I'm not sure what people without one did because controls had to be changed by navigating the game's menu.

It was pretty rare to not have a numpad back then, unless you were on a laptop which probably wouldn't handle the game anyway (on them though, you almost always had a way to hit a thing to either switch some letters into a numpad, or to use them as a numpad with the FN key held down)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Captain Rufus posted:

Also on Alien chat I think the only home released title I don't own is the MSX Aliens game which is kind of poo poo. And expensive. I mean I only paid like 5 bucks for Colonial Marines but 100+ for an MSX side scrolling game? Yeah not gonna happen. I'd be hard pressed to pay that for one of the 5 Alien arcade game cabs. (100 bucks for a good working arcade game cabinet isn't likely. Maybe Space Invaders in 1986 which I legit saw but that was a totally different era.)

Also I've played that Aliens game and it makes NES Rambo look like Super Metroid. Same super convoluted thing with one way doors/etc. times 100. Entire walls of doors. I mean there's shittier games but it's really in that Total Recall/Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5 level of "how was this even released" and it's all just padding because if you were to follow a map you'd beat the game in like 20 minutes flat.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 23, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Random Stranger posted:

Vigilante 8 2 which I'm positive is going to be worse than I-82 even though I-82 isn't that great to begin with. Still last game in the I-76/Vigilante 8 series I needed to get.

Which version? There's a way to play the maps from the original game that differs by version - if it's the PSX version you need to pause the game and swap to the original CD but on Dreamcast you can just enter a cheat code.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Which version? There's a way to play the maps from the original game that differs by version - if it's the PSX version you need to pause the game and swap to the original CD but on Dreamcast you can just enter a cheat code.

PSX for 2, but my copy of Vigilante 8 1 is for the N64. That's an interesting trick; they must have used identical file structures when building the game.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
If you're enamored with Laser Lords for some reason, don't forget there's also an Alice in Wonderland game on cd-i that plays just like it.

I do wish more games made use of that keyword-based conversation system. The only other ones I can think of off the top of my head are SNES Shadowrun and, uh, Final Fantasy 2.

The PSP release of Final Fantasy 2 had a huge bonus dungeon based on the keyword system and I kind of loved it.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 23, 2017

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

So I'm a little confused. I had some discs resurfaced that were throwing "L-EC Unreadable Error"s when I tried to dump them with ImgBurn, but... they're all still throwing them. All of them. They don't even look particularly scratched, and I didn't see any pinholes when holding the disc between my room's lighting and my eye... Heck, ImgBurn insists this copy of Croc I got off of eBay has an unreadable file associated with the intro sequence, but my PS3 plays it back just fine.

I'm just wondering if I should bother to finish getting the other half of what I had to be resurfaced done (since I had to leave before they could finish everything I brought in)... Maybe I should see if my Final Fantasy IX Disc 1 is actually any better; the cutscene showing the crash site in the Evil Forest would hang before, so if that plays, it's clearly improved.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Speaking of SoCal, SC3 is today at Arcade 2084 in Anaheim. Find a way, So Cal retrogoons. :)

poo poo, I haven't been since the first event at 2084 a couple years ago. Looking forward to the report!

I've actually got some trade fodder, I need to get out there again.

univbee posted:

Seth Killian plays crosshanded, referenced in Divekick.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 23, 2017

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Shadow Hog posted:

Maybe I should see if my Final Fantasy IX Disc 1 is actually any better; the cutscene showing the crash site in the Evil Forest would hang before, so if that plays, it's clearly improved.
Update on that:

Yeah, not really.

Swear it used to freeze before this frame, though, so maybe it's getting better? Probably easier to just replace the disc outright at this point though.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I don't have much of a trip report from SC3 other than I bought 3 game gears (1 fully working, 2 salvage for practice) and a bunch of miscellaneous poo poo. Also: I set a new Arcade 2084 record for Gyruss - 2,133,650 and level 177.

Regarding Aliens chat - I worked on the Obsidian Aliens RPG and was its QA Lead until the project got shitcanned and it makes me saaaaaadddddd.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Alien 3 THE GUN has force feedback in their pulse rifles in the arcade, and the pulse rifle is at exactly the right height to repeatedly punch me in the tit. I want to love that game, but holy poo poo.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
solution: go amazon. hunt aliens unencumbered

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Does anyone else like to raid thrift stores and pawn shops when they travel? All the stores around here are picked totally clean at all times so it's like the only chance we get to hunt for stuff. I've been really into late 90s / early 00s PC games lately to play on my Tualatin P3 build, and my wife has been looking for stuff for her vita. Some times we come up empty but some times we luck out and find places with flat prices per console, like $3 for any Xbox game. PC games are usually way cheaper than the console versions of the same thing. Some times places try to look up prices on ebay or gamestop right in front of you and then I usually just leave :v:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
So you just burned your clothes or also bought another suitcase at said thrift store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Discount Viscount posted:

Seth Killian plays crosshanded, referenced in Divekick.

That seems incredibly awkward to me, but then again I guess if he's used to it...

• Locked thread