Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

if the sun coming up is dependent on James Dolan there's a 75% chance the earth stops rotating every other day. Crops fail, the oceans rise up and swallow Manhattan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I really wouldn't mind if there is a depressed market for CJ Miles and he comes back to the Pacers.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

PantsFreeZone posted:

since we all know GSW is winning it all, i think getting to the ECF and WCF should be elevated in impressiveness starting this year

who you got?

without doing research and having paid minimal attention to the goings on in the league imma say:

GSW v OKC

CLE vs MIA

because that would be fun and these past playoffs sucked dick

Miami in the ECF would be elevated in impressiveness for sure

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Premium aged root beer

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

I think there are a couple teams that have had a lot of success despite punting on rebounding, but I don't think it's been neutralized, there just happens to be successful teams that are not good rebounders. To say it's been neutralized you'd need to take a good DRB team like SAS or OKC and make them bad and see how it effects their win percentage. I'm fairly certain it would, and not in the positive.

I agree that rebounding itself hasn't been neutralized in that way. On a game to game basis if a team wins the rebounding percentages (ORB%, DRB% or TRB%) they've more likely than not won the game.

To put it another way, does anyone here think a bad or average 3P team can win a title going forward? I'm skeptical. OTOH, I could see a long line of mediocre rebounding teams winning the title.

Metapod posted:

What your data says about elite shooting teams going for a title is they either need to also be great at defense or have LeBron or both. Rebounding is still important to win because rebounding is apart of limiting your opponents chances. The team that challenged LeBron the most in the East while in Miami was a pacer team that was a great defensive rebounding team and the team that challenged the warriors the most in the West has been a okc team that was great at rebounding. Neither of those teams would I say were elite shooting teams and they both came close to going to the finals.

It also says that most of the best ORB% teams last year were not very good. This contrasts strongly with the realities of yesterdecade.

Here's another way to look at rebounding which is what you're referring to more:

code:
Stat	Net >= 1	Net <= -1	Net = 0
TRB	758		414		58
ORB	556		570		104
DRB	869		291		70

Stat	Net >= .0001	Net <= -.0001	Net = 0
ORB%	682		541		5
Teams that won the TRB battle went 758-414 last year. More DRBs also correlates directly with opponents missing more shots of course.

OKC had some good shooting teams courtesy of Durant. Even the #1 ORtg in 2013. Things have changed since those halcyon days of Pacers/Thunder domination. 2012 and 2013 are ancient history.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Could a NBA team of 6 gammas win a chip?

For example Starting 5: Wall, Beal, PG13, Whiteside, Millsap, Demar as 6 man

Does that beat the Warriors?

Possibly.

No, but if you combined a lot of gammas their synergies would coalesce and one would transform into a beta.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 8, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Disillusionist posted:

Can someone knowledgeable explain why Lonzo was the consensus #2 pick among draftniks for months given his massive flaws? Like, why is "passing" and "court vision" and "size" worth so much that people overlooked his inability to do anything in the half court and his terrible, probably broken shot?

Is it just that he was a better prospect than Jackson, Tatum, Fox, Smith et al? Would Philly, Boston, Phoenix, Sacramento have taken him #2 if the lottery went differently? I know it's Summer League and there's still time, but I have no idea why he was among the top 10 prospects let alone top 3 regardless of his dad and where he landed.

I never ever could understand it. The draft thread is an exercise of increased exasperation over this fact, would be a good example of a decent into my insanity if I wasn't already around there anyway.

If you watch his college highlights and don't dive into numbers and analysis, I mean he does look amazing in that context. He has a way of willing offenses to play fast, and he was a 40% three point shooter. If you just stop thinking about it there, yeah he's the #2 pick and maybe you even consider him #1 (because it took work to watch Fultz). But man there were so many good players in this draft taking a little deep dive into them doesn't seem like an awful idea.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/JoelEmbiid/status/883815840893763584

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/883818938827550721

A little surprised he couldn't get more than this, but I guess the market's pretty tapped

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Disillusionist posted:

Can someone knowledgeable explain why Lonzo was the consensus #2 pick among draftniks for months given his massive flaws? Like, why is "passing" and "court vision" and "size" worth so much that people overlooked his inability to do anything in the half court and his terrible, probably broken shot?

He was a 5* recruit who in his only season of college ball led the NCAA in assists, had a TS% of .673% and even added 6 rebounds a game.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

He's actively bad now, but he should still get money for being cool like Dirk

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
There goes GM Thibodeau, handing out player options like candy at Halloween.

Good contract for James Harden, my only regret is that we couldn't give him more money.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

morestuff posted:

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/883818938827550721

A little surprised he couldn't get more than this, but I guess the market's pretty tapped

I'm assuming the money he got from the buyout makes it easier for him to take a dip.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Cameron Payne makes me physically ill when I watch him play basketball.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Dexo posted:

I was majorly hyped for him coming out of college and he has just been extremely awful in the NBA. I don't think there's any hope left.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/MichaelVPina/status/883816647076610048

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Who is the Bulls starting point guard, because both Dunn and Payne were given too many assets to back off

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

It means you are the starting point guard on the team.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Dexo posted:

A year and a half ago- or maybe 2 1/2, idk, K. Durant, R. Westbrook, and the entire Thunder team came to his high school to retire Cam Payne's jersey. Life was good for Cameron Payne. He was actually playing ok, acquitting himself just fine for a rookie. Then Durant left and the Thunder traded Payne to the Bulls. I honestly think it broke his fragile brain.

edit- oh and he had a fine choreography routine with R. Westbrook as a 2nd career

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

my god

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Intruder posted:

Anticipating LeBron's "He's worth even more than that" tweet

https://twitter.com/KingJames/status/883829778322571264

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I'm hearing a lot of Melo to Houston stuff and hoping to god it's just because we've run out of actual deals to talk about

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Is Crawford any good?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Is Crawford any good?

He was!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

chunkles posted:

I'm hearing a lot of Melo to Houston stuff and hoping to god it's just because we've run out of actual deals to talk about

didn't they already give up like half their roster & a pick or two for Chris Paul? What else could they dump to get him?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

GobiasIndustries posted:

didn't they already give up like half their roster & a pick or two for Chris Paul? What else could they dump to get him?

Ryan Anderson

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Is Crawford any good?

Jamal Crawford has not been good for many years.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Melo is perfect for Houston because he won't even need to pretend to play defense anymore.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

oh, poo poo I didn't realize he was getting $20m/year.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Melo is perfect for Houston because he won't even need to pretend to play defense anymore.

I feel like an underrated aspect of this is watching D'Antoni have to deal with Melo again, who was such a bad fit, it nearly killed Mike's career

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

They really need Melo to play the 4 and stay there. Not worried about the fit otherwise because CP3 is probably the one PG that Melo won't argue with.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

dokmo posted:

Jamal Crawford has not been good for many years.

I swear his 1-on-1 bail out shots were the only reason the clippers would score anything at times

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Lakers fans going insane for this summer league game lmbo

Edit: 7 minutes in an jaylen brown has not looked good at all

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

The Glumslinger posted:

I feel like an underrated aspect of this is watching D'Antoni have to deal with Melo again, who was such a bad fit, it nearly killed Mike's career

wasn't that Dwight?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Tae posted:

They really need Melo to play the 4 and stay there. Not worried about the fit otherwise because CP3 is probably the one PG that Melo won't argue with.

Melo refused to play the 4 and got Dantoni fired about it before ahah

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

GobiasIndustries posted:

wasn't that Dwight?

Yep.

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/kobe-bryant-dwight-howard-fight-e1357651428794.jpg

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The loving hype for Ball is insane. Today was sold out and tickets on StubHub were going for $250. Over 8x markup. For loving Summer League basketball.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It was a strange journey of how the Nash/Dwight pickNroll evolved into Nash setting screens for Kobe the passer as Wesley Johnson played the 4 with Pau coming off the bench.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

The loving hype for Ball is insane. Today was sold out and tickets on StubHub were going for $250. Over 8x markup. For loving Summer League basketball.

https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/883848329787920384

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
Big3 is pretty entertaining.

https://youtu.be/Vg8qYQddhXw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lakers have got such an incredible fanbase