Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The Glumslinger posted:

Hey man, if Eve sucks now just go play Star Citizen :laugh:

:gary: Wonderful! Can I interest you in this month's $500 .JPG Starship???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

OldPueblo posted:

I am a bad person and am wanting to dabble in EVE again with my spawn. What are the useful external tools these days, like what we used to use Evemon and EFT for. Also I'm stuck in YA0 in space in a dreadnaught. :woop:

Good news: you now need a Recon or Blackops alt to cyno it around. On the other hand you can take gates.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

OldPueblo posted:

I am a bad person and am wanting to dabble in EVE again with my spawn. What are the useful external tools these days, like what we used to use Evemon and EFT for. Also I'm stuck in YA0 in space in a dreadnaught. :woop:

Don't do it, don't log in, it's not worth it.

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

OldPueblo posted:

Also I'm stuck in YA0 in space in a dreadnaught. :woop:
Oh gently caress. What year did you log off?

GeneticWeapon fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 12, 2019

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spam Musubi posted:

Why I have said the only company that can save MMOs is riot games. Until that day comes when they drop their mmo, I’ll fly space ships

Lmao

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

OldPueblo posted:

I am a bad person and am wanting to dabble in EVE again with my spawn. What are the useful external tools these days, like what we used to use Evemon and EFT for. Also I'm stuck in ### in space in a dreadnaught. :woop:

You've already heard the bad news that getting that dred out is going to be super difficult. It would have been hard last week, but with the new cyno changes you need a recon alt to light cynos for you and you're probably something stupid like 14 jumps away from Delve.

However, there is a dumb :ccp: trick that can minimize your losses. You can "deposit" items into the new structures even if you don't have docking rights. Then you can use "asset safety" to transfer those items to the nearest lowsec station. Later you go to that station and reclaim the items for 15% of their value. So if you have any pricy faction fittings you can get them out. You could even deposit everything but the hull, and then just self-destruct to freedom, because moving it is a pain in the rear end and you could easily burn several recon cynos in the attempt, which would be a bigger loss than the dred hull.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

OldPueblo posted:

EVEMon still exists and works exactly the same, except for the fancy new auth method of linking your characters to it.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Eve

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
Okay so I don't really know anything about Eve. I've logged in a total of maybe 30 hours over the last 10 years, and just resubbed a couple weeks ago. I see all the arguments for why these changes suck.

Can someone explain to me what CCP should actually be doing? As I understand it, and I may not understand it at all, the game has stagnated with the major alliances just settling down and churning out trillions of isk in their regions without much risk or excitement, and everyone and their mother has a super capital or titan now.

What kind of changes would actually make things better?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

retpocileh posted:

Okay so I don't really know anything about Eve. I've logged in a total of maybe 30 hours over the last 10 years, and just resubbed a couple weeks ago. I see all the arguments for why these changes suck.

Can someone explain to me what CCP should actually be doing? As I understand it, and I may not understand it at all, the game has stagnated with the major alliances just settling down and churning out trillions of isk in their regions without much risk or excitement, and everyone and their mother has a super capital or titan now.

What kind of changes would actually make things better?

It depends on who you're trying to make things better for. If you're trying to reverse the stagnation that's slowly consuming nullsec, it's a big topic with a lot of moving parts.

Blindly flailing about screeching CHAOS ERA is the bar to clear.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Butts

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

Carebear corps are afraid to mine in 0.0 now because of the blackout, and goons are too powerful according to Reddit and Eve-O. I'm still making GBS threads up highsec and haven't rejoined Goonwaffe yet, so my perspective is kinda small. I'm undecided as to whether the blackout was a smart move or not.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
it was necessary, lmao if you think it's reasonable to always know when anyone hostile was able to shoot you

'but muh i can't be expected to be at my keyboard while i play eve online11!1'

it should only be possible and be worth it to be at your keyboard and play the game, and blackout pushes us towards that goal

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

it was necessary, lmao if you think it's reasonable to always know when anyone hostile was able to shoot you

it should only be possible and be worth it to be at your keyboard and play the game, and blackout pushes us towards that goal

You'd literally say anything to try and get your 10 year long chicken little bullshit to actually come true.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

CainFortea posted:

You'd literally say anything to try and get your 10 year long chicken little bullshit to actually come true.

it did come true

and all it took was 70 'remove local' shitposts on reddit and whispering in the right peoples' ears

i don't think anyone could genuinely argue that local chat revealing EVERYONE in system without flaw or delay is good game design.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

So I haven’t played eve for 10 years. Actually started playing before I became a goon so I ended up in a random mining industrial corp which then got affiliated with one of the BOB aligned alliances In querious (and stopped playing pretty much right after the goon invasion started, but I did defuel a whole bunch of jump bridges and pos in the area we were nominally meant to maintain, Laffo) Anyway, is there a good reason to come back to eve right now, and more importantly, is it fun? Even logging on briefly as an alpha clone made me nostalgic but also screamed a little because everything is three times as expensive due to inflation Laffo.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

So, here is the thing right. Even if you used third party intel apps to warn you, you had to be at your keyboard to not die in null before the blackout; and sadly lots of people still died.

Once again the “nullbear played the game afk!!2!2!1!” argument is complete bullshit.

And that’s not even getting at the pretty serious issues the blackout has caused, including player drops. And here is the thing, right...

MMO retention rate is very strongly associated with quality social interaction. When you overtly nerf social interaction by removing local, which people used to socially interact, and in the process also nerf activities people did in the game in social groups, or while socializing—mining, ratting, etc.—you reduce social interaction, which causes some people to stop playing.

This, in turn, weakens in-game social networks, and cause more people to stop playing, which further weakens in-game social networks, which causes more people to quit playing, which further weakens in-game social networks, which causes more people to stop playing, which further weakens in-game social networks... see where I am going with this?

Now, globby, I expect you to be completely ignorant about how MMOs work as a business and as a consumer product, so I am not blaming you for being dumb about it and parroting the “I like it so, it must be good for everyone” (though I would be worried if I were you that my behavior was getting pretty close to text book narcissistic personality disorder); however, CCP has no excuse other than:

1. CCP hosed itself a long time ago, and EVE is hosed; or
2. Hilmar is extremely incompetent or maliciously trying to burn down the eve IP on his way out the door.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 13, 2019

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

it did come true

and all it took was 70 'remove local' shitposts on reddit and whispering in the right peoples' ears

i don't think anyone could genuinely argue that local chat revealing EVERYONE in system without flaw or delay is good game design.

A decade later. A reasonable wrinkle brained person is not going to go "Well, he didn't say WHEN so it could be 10 years later"

And yea, it's better than not knowing at all because poo poo's boring as gently caress now. No one to hunt.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Drone_Fragger posted:

So I haven’t played eve for 10 years. Actually started playing before I became a goon so I ended up in a random mining industrial corp which then got affiliated with one of the BOB aligned alliances In querious (and stopped playing pretty much right after the goon invasion started, but I did defuel a whole bunch of jump bridges and pos in the area we were nominally meant to maintain, Laffo) Anyway, is there a good reason to come back to eve right now, and more importantly, is it fun? Even logging on briefly as an alpha clone made me nostalgic but also screamed a little because everything is three times as expensive due to inflation Laffo.

No there's no reason to come back and dont put Laffo in your posts it's annoying and dumb

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is someone seriously arguing that people are leaving because of the lack of social interaction in the Local channel haha

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Is someone seriously arguing that people are leaving because of the lack of social interaction in the Local channel haha

Yes, that is obviously what that means and not that no one is moving stuff around so there's nothing to hunt.

Only a total idiot would think that, it's obviously the chatting in local that is driving down subs. OBVIOUSLY.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

orange juche posted:

No there's no reason to come back and dont put Laffo in your posts it's annoying and dumb

wow and here was me thinking that evoke were the real nazis, turns out the real grammar nazis were in the thread all along

On a more serious note, thought you were being facetious but looking into it does the following assessment look about correct, as someone who has been not playing for ten years and :

1. Sovereignty is some kind of stupid minigame fuckery now rather than being a case of claiming and holding areas with Player owned stations. it looks fuckin retarded and looks like it makes taking territory in alliances frustrating.
2. "Jump fatigue" exists now making doing anything related to moving capitals a huge, huge pain, which for fleet work I guess is a huge issue. Moving more than a handful of ships at once was already bad enough, but now it looks like you gotta wait like 25 minutes between jumps even if it's well organised.
3. Local chat in lowsec space is now no longer auto-updated so it's impossible to tell if a system is safe or not, or if there is anything to hunt in the system or not, because you can't rely on chat anymore. Scanning I'm guessing is still a piece of poo poo.
4. Looks like the reduction in players and likely shift to PVP from Mining has made the ore market dumb. Looking at why a battleship now costs 180mil when it was 60mil when I last played, seems to be because tritanium is now more expensive than anything else in a ship (it's gone from nearly ~1.5/unit to nearly 7, and then every other mineral has crashed by a factor of 5-6, it seems). I'm guessing this means that buying things is frustrating because of it.

All in all looks like that might be driving people away, and I guess why you've said "game bad", correct?

Drone_Fragger fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 13, 2019

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Drone_Fragger posted:

4. Looks like the reduction in players and likely shift to PVP from Mining has made the ore market dumb. Looking at why a battleship now costs 180mil when it was 60mil when I last played, seems to be because tritanium is now more expensive than anything else in a ship (it's gone from nearly ~1.5/unit to nearly 7, and then every other mineral has crashed by a factor of 5-6, it seems). I'm guessing this means that buying things is frustrating because of it.

This is likely because back in the day you could buy and reprocess NPC shuttles for tritanium, giving it a price ceiling. You can't do that any more, you have to mine it all.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Rutibex posted:

This is likely because back in the day you could buy and reprocess NPC shuttles for tritanium, giving it a price ceiling. You can't do that any more, you have to mine it all.

thats actually hilarious but also, what are the price levelfor things like missions and NPC ship bounties fixed by? If they're set at some kind of standard that's disconnected from market prices that's going to mean people are taking 3 times as long to get a new ship. In a game that's already really grindy I can see people getting disheartened and leaving not long after they start, to be honest. It's bad enough moving up ship classes to do harder missions as it is without then needing to do 3 times as many of them.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

retpocileh posted:

As I understand it, and I may not understand it at all, the game has stagnated with the major alliances just settling down and churning out trillions of isk in their regions without much risk or excitement, and everyone and their mother has a super capital or titan now.

Literally every time someone says this poo poo someone loses a super fleet and a few regions of space. War in eve is always cyclical.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

Literally every time someone says this poo poo someone loses a super fleet and a few regions of space. War in eve is always cyclical.

To be fair, Goons are now on a gigantic space-pedestal that is literally impossible to topple externally at this point. The only thing that could take them down would be rot from within, as if every other player in EVE declared war against Goons at this point they would be boson'd into slag heaps before they got through the gates to Fortress Delve.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Isn't that more of an issue with the devs being super friendly with BoB when they controlled delve and basically made their space de-facto the best.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also that there's probably more citadels in Delve than everywhere else in 0.0 combined.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Drone_Fragger posted:

Isn't that more of an issue with the devs being super friendly with BoB when they controlled delve and basically made their space de-facto the best.

Not really. It has more to do with the fact that, for a period of about three years, we were able to suck a lot of crok. Way more than anyone else had ever sucked in the game. Then, CCP very recently shut off the ability to do what we did, making it impossible to build one's way into a fleet able to rival ours.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Unless all the goon super and Titan pilots unsub out of boredom and having their wealth generation cut out from under them.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

L0cke17 posted:

Unless all the goon super and Titan pilots unsub out of boredom and having their wealth generation cut out from under them.

That applies equally to folks Other Than Us, though.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Yeah back in the day Goons were like "holy poo poo we're rich off of Technetium", but the good times in the new Fortress Delve make living in the north look like they were paupers by comparison. For a straight 36 months, Goons produced more than double the minerals of EVERY other region in the game combined, and almost none of it was exported. The vast majority of it was funneled directly from the massive Rorqual fleets directly into supercap production.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 13, 2019

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

NEED MORE MINERALS

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

we good on gas though

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

none of this is disproving the "Delve is the best region because of CCP favouritism" theory.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Drone_Fragger posted:

none of this is disproving the "Delve is the best region because of CCP favouritism" theory.

You really think that CCP someone foresaw the game mechanics of 2016-2019 back in 2006 and crafted Delve perfectly to be good in both rulesets? If so, that's impressive, given the near-complete turnover in employees at CCP in that span of time.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Drone_Fragger posted:

Delve is good partially because if it’s geography

It would have been noticeable and harped on for Delve to have been rearranged by the devs who were friendly to BoB

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
No one ever bitched and moaned about Delve back when BoB owned it because every pubbie had that "oh boy, when *I* join BoB I'm gonna..." fantasy.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

No one ever bitched and moaned about Delve back when BoB owned it because every pubbie had that "oh boy, when *I* join BoB I'm gonna..." fantasy.

It's super loving easy to join Goons though you just slide in under one of the hundreds of pubbie corps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

orange juche posted:

Yeah back in the day Goons were like "holy poo poo we're rich off of Technetium", but the good times in the new Fortress Delve make living in the north look like they were paupers by comparison. For a straight 36 months, Goons produced more than double the minerals of EVERY other region in the game combined, and almost none of it was exported. The vast majority of it was funneled directly from the massive Rorqual fleets directly into supercap production.

So why didn't other alliances get Roarqs and do the same?
It seems to me that watching your enemy build up their military capacity while not matching them, and then complaining later is dumb...