Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Re: SNOW chat

I've been developing on the platform for almost 15 years now, and I love it. The downsides are dealing with code written by people who don't understand JavaScript and also how scoping works on the platform. I was a sysadmin for a financial company for most of that time, and have now moved on to a partner company that develops financial applications on the platform. Seeing all the customer environments we deploy on and how they are maintained is an eye opening experience.

When I was at my last company I was the sole administrator, support, and developer for about 300 users for the majority of that time, sometimes getting help when they would bring on a contractor on visa via Hexaware. They were great, but gently caress Hexaware, they are predators.

So I'll second everything said above about you get what you put into it. You will be better off with a smaller ticket specific product than buying a vast powerful platform if you are not going to devote the resources and time to build it out properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Having one of those months that makes me reach out to all my former managers/coworkers to see who's hiring.

Right now I've only got one solid lead and a bunch of eager reference volunteers.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Internet Explorer posted:

I was dealing with that yesterday. Took me over an hour to get Logitech support to send me a cheap and lovely key cap for a $160 keyboard. It broke with normal use, literally never seen that before. Chat, email, phone, their helpful AI was going to walk me through diagnosing the problem.

Well first I need you to unplug your keyboard, wait five seconds and then plug it back in. Did that solve your problem?

No? Ok, lets try something else. Please try turning your keyboard over and tapping it three times. Did that solve your problem?

No? Ok, lets try something else. Please unplug your keyboard, wait ten seconds and then plug it back in. Did that solve your problem?

No, Ok. I'm going to transfer you to our customer support team. The average wait time is 188 minutes. Thank you for your continued support!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

:argh:

That's way too close. I think reading that just raised my blood pressure. At one point it was walking me through removing the device in device manager, uninstalling the driver, then plugging it back into a USB port. The loving key broke! It was bad enough to have to run through phone prompts and humor the poor tech on the other side, but at least you knew you were both wasting your time. When the company doesn't even have that small level of skin in the game it's infinitely more frustrating.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Starting a new temp today, I don't plan to be here longer than needed but I hope I can make a good impression.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hey, congrats! Even if it's just for a change of pace.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Starting a new temp employee or a new temp job?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My pet hate of a tech support line is when you call in and the IVR asks if you have an existing ticket, captures you keying in the ticket number and transfers you to the correct department, and the first thing you're asked by the agent is whether it's a new or existing case, and what the case number is.

I know it's not the staff members fault but it starts the conversation off badly because the company is demonstrating incompetence from the outset.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I love that calling comcast business support now forces me to go through the reboot IVR bot and will happily try to reboot my modem no matter what (even if I've just rebooted it) and forced me to wait the 5-10 minutes for a callback.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

MF_James posted:

I love that calling comcast business support now forces me to go through the reboot IVR bot and will happily try to reboot my modem no matter what (even if I've just rebooted it) and forced me to wait the 5-10 minutes for a callback.

Oh man trying to get a person with Comcast/Xfinity is a loving joke and masterclass in how not to do things.

If our other ISP in the area wasn’t < 10% of the 1.2 gigabit we get from them, I’d switch in 0.0 seconds.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

GreenNight posted:

Starting a new temp employee or a new temp job?

New temp employee, so far the poor guy is being bogarted by my boss

I've already heard him suggest SSO and automation :xd:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh, my bad. I misunderstood. At least it sounds like you might have someone else to speak some sense around there!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Last place had two support numbers for the biggest third party service our customers used that we would refer to

1st number was one where you were directed to put in your 15 digit account number which was useless to us since usually even the customer didn’t know it and we always had to do warm transfers even if it killed us and would still get you passed around between 7 different robots

2nd number was one where you would be connected with reasonably competent humans fairly quickly

Second number was nowhere on the public internet and not in our internal KB either (contact list there listed the first one) either you had to find it in slack or have another tech tell you about it and just wrote it down. I have no idea why this company employed so many support people who were hidden behind this Wardrobe to Narnia bullshit

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

well made a bit of a booboo

We have had a bunch of stuff in azure that was setup prior to me joining and was a testing environment, the stuff has been sitting there on and just soaking up money (only a few hundred a month but still), I finally backed up the VMs with veeam and deleted everything.

Except someone didn't do what they said they did and I forgot to check, we were still hosting a subsidiaries website on our azure instance so that went poof too.

Trying to restore it now and we'll see if it works.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

MF_James posted:

well made a bit of a booboo

We have had a bunch of stuff in azure that was setup prior to me joining and was a testing environment, the stuff has been sitting there on and just soaking up money (only a few hundred a month but still), I finally backed up the VMs with veeam and deleted everything.

Except someone didn't do what they said they did and I forgot to check, we were still hosting a subsidiaries website on our azure instance so that went poof too.

Trying to restore it now and we'll see if it works.

This is why scream tests are so important. Turning off the power and/or network before completely dropping it would have made restoration a few minutes, including the "I told you so"s.

I don't think you did anything wrong, MF_James. But learning a lesson the hard way is never fun.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Wizard of the Deep posted:

This is why scream tests are so important. Turning off the power and/or network before completely dropping it would have made restoration a few minutes, including the "I told you so"s.

I don't think you did anything wrong, MF_James. But learning a lesson the hard way is never fun.

Meh yeah I'm not really worried, I have the data anyway, just annoying i'll have to recreate a few things.

*edit* restoring the app service worked, so all I have to do is deal with sec groups I believe

Ah, no just had to update DNS which is hosted at godaddy despite everything else we have being through cloudflare and the admin user is someone no longer with the company rofl

(easy to get around but laffo there's so much janky rear end poo poo)

MF_James fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 19, 2024

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I’m in a conundrum.

J2 has me working on a gigantic network migration as a solutions architect and this migration is expected to be a multiple year project.

My boss and skip boss recognize that we need to bring in folks to help out and we have consulting hours paid for so that’s all good. The problem is that I’m not sure how to best utilize these contractors.

What I need is to have a PM, a network engineer, and an application engineer dedicated to the project full time. What I’m getting is some contractor hours.

My boss and skip seem to think that the contractor will be able to login into servers and make application changes reflecting the new network schema, as well as making switch and firewall changes to accommodate the move.

I say that’s bollox because the consultant will have to be shown everything anyway so why not dedicate our SMEs to this project and have the consultants backfill their jobs on the day to day.

Has anyone been in this situation? How did you navigate it?

At this point I could do this poo poo myself and it would be faster than the pace we are going, but that’s not up to me and, frankly, I am grateful for it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thanks Ants posted:

My pet hate of a tech support line is when you call in and the IVR asks if you have an existing ticket, captures you keying in the ticket number and transfers you to the correct department, and the first thing you're asked by the agent is whether it's a new or existing case, and what the case number is.

I know it's not the staff members fault but it starts the conversation off badly because the company is demonstrating incompetence from the outset.

bad news: if the tech support agent trusts the number keyed in, they are likely to look up INC1234567 on a real regular basis

They need to just get rid of that prompt

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Would would own is if it could match the number I am calling from against open cases because my profile would have the same number on it. Crazy ideas.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Our IT team decommissioned a server they deemed unimportant. Turns out it was the time server for our entire region. This was before I got here and no one noticed until something refused to upload due to time syncing being too far off. Eventually they set up new ones, but they don’t work

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Hotel Kpro posted:

Our IT team decommissioned a server they deemed unimportant. Turns out it was the time server for our entire region. This was before I got here and no one noticed until something refused to upload due to time syncing being too far off. Eventually they set up new ones, but they don’t work

I can't wait until they figure out it's DNS.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
No one appreciates NTP until you need NTP

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's honestly awe inspiring how suddenly things go sideways if time is allowed to drift too far. Time offset relative to the monitoring system is something we check for because the consequences of going too far are completely unpredictable and chaotic.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Modern Macbooks don't have a CMOS battery lol.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Most modern laptops with a built in battery don't.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

We didn't realise what was happening at first, but people on long vacations/leaves were getting permanently locked out their laptops by MDM because they were losing track of time when left unpowered.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

People taking 6+ months off probably want to arrange to come into an office on their first day back since a device offline for that long will probably be marked as noncompliant in terms of pending updates anyway and have so many patches to apply that rebuilding the machine is likely to be quicker.

Or they can reset it themselves if users are comfortable doing self-service and you have the right sort of MDM in place.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Antigravitas posted:

It's honestly awe inspiring how suddenly things go sideways if time is allowed to drift too far. Time offset relative to the monitoring system is something we check for because the consequences of going too far are completely unpredictable and chaotic.

I work in finance. If time drift can be measured more than 3ms alarms go off.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Most modern laptops with a built in battery don't.

Yup, noticed this on Dells a couple years back doing forensics - no CMOS battery, the main battery maintains the clock as well as powers the laptop

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Thanks Ants posted:

People taking 6+ months off probably want to arrange to come into an office on their first day back since a device offline for that long will probably be marked as noncompliant in terms of pending updates anyway and have so many patches to apply that rebuilding the machine is likely to be quicker.

Or they can reset it themselves if users are comfortable doing self-service and you have the right sort of MDM in place.
Even a month does it when they just shut the lid. But yeah, we're only recently rolling out strict compliance reporting so that's another bridge to cross. For longer leaves we used to take the laptops back, but changed that policy so people don't feel isolated from their coworkers. For those that care about that.

A factory reset does restore it to a functioning state but usually these users aren't that confident, and often not compliant in storing their data online.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Today I argued that a process that I thought was utterly redundant and anachronistic should be dropped and everyone agreed and we dropped it.

This was… anticlimactic.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Antigravitas posted:

Today I argued that a process that I thought was utterly redundant and anachronistic should be dropped and everyone agreed and we dropped it.

This was… anticlimactic.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Can I bitch about using Microsoft teams?

Actually, scratch that, I'm going to bitch about being forced to use Microsoft Teams if you like it or not.

MS teams sucks, I hate the fact that it has to 'ding' every time someone messages me, and that I can't simply turn off dings for existing chats and have it on only for newly created chats. I hate

when
people
message me
like this
and every

loving millennials.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Cimber posted:

Actually, scratch that, I'm going to bitch about being forced to use Microsoft Teams if you like it or not.

MS teams sucks, I hate the fact that it has to 'ding' every time someone messages me, and that I can't simply turn off dings for existing chats and have it on only for newly created chats. I hate

when
people
message me
like this
and every

loving millennials.

K
Thx
U mad?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Millennials are 40+ now.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Cimber posted:

when
people
message me
like this
and every

loving millennials.

:laffo:

I've been guilty of doing this at times.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

At times?
It is my primary method of sending messages

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'll generally at least do a full sentence per message though.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

But if I'm sending anything that takes a bit to explain you better believe my target is getting 30 odd notifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ding ding ding motherfucker