Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
isnt being a spectral specifically less of a thing you do and more a thing you are? i.e. if you can interact w spirits and ghosts and use tools/be a medium

im p sure thats the case, like if max had decided to do his own thing and ignore the spirit stuff as best he can hed still be a spectral

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Like if someone asks you if you're a cyclist, and you don't ride a bicycle anymore but you used to and remember how.

Also iirc isn't it a thing where "spectral" sort of implies someone affiliated with the consortium? Like it's their word, and even though they use it to refer to all ghost-touchers, there are many such people who wouldn't label themselves that way because they don't see it as the most important thing about themselves, or specifically want to distance themselves from the consortium?

Maybe I imagined that, but it wouldn't surprise me if Zack was working that kind of nuanced identity stuff into their comic.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the racist whale-frog used the term "spectral" when talking about Max. Could be mistaken though.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Why the heck was the student council member scared of him too? If this comic ever ends the chart of how the characters know each other is just gonna be a dense psychotic squiggle

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Fecha posted:

Why the heck was the student council member scared of him too? If this comic ever ends the chart of how the characters know each other is just gonna be a dense psychotic squiggle

Because he's one of the schools top donors, and an esteemed member of the community.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
STRANGER DANGER

All that affability and pleasantness vanished fast. Good grief he looks freaky in those last few panels.

Alt-text: i'm not supposed to talk to strangers unless i'm presently yeerking one of their friends

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 8, 2018

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I like this guy he seems fun

also yeerking is a good verb, only 90s kids will understand

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
And once again, the title of Most Anime is stolen by a new contender!

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Oh poo poo...

Look at Lefty's spectral energy color.

A mean left hook...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

wokow6 posted:

Oh poo poo...

A mean left hook...

Quoth my roommate upon this revelation:
"Oh my good loving God Christ, dammit, I am going to poo poo."

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Mazerunner posted:

I quite enjoyed that.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

wokow6 posted:

Oh poo poo...

A mean left hook...

That is super plausible actually why is that so plausible.

I can't believe that Hijack is fuckin' dead

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Also odds on Mr. Student Council just being freaked out because he knows Dave has a hook for a hand and, like, that's weird.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Sooo, this guy called himself a local small business owner.

Max's family moved into a vacant local small business that's haunted by what may possibly be this guy's hand.

I reckon he's the previous owner of that shop, was a spectral, died in some kind of horrible dismemberment accident. Spectrals already have a foot in both worlds while they're alive, why wouldn't a dead spectral become a ghost that can interact with the living? That would explain what he meant by being a spectral "for all intents and purposes"

Student council guy is freaked out by him because he witnessed or at least knew about the guy's death

Edit: PJ has been wrong about the whole poltergeist thing the entire time, this is the real reason Lefty can pick things up

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

Been listening to a recap podcast about those books so it was extra relavent to me.

Hijack, please be ok.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Suaimhneas posted:

interesting stuff

Isn't one of the students at the spectral dojo a ghost? And he has the stereotypical weird ghost tail thing instead of legs

Although I guess he could be a regular ghost who wasn't a spectral in life but started training with spirit stuff after he died as a means of self-defence/continuing to exist (and was lucky enough to meet bathrobe sensei granddad whose name escapes me). Also not clear if all ghosts necessarily end up with tails, though it seems to be the case so far.

Nothing to do but wait and see. Bookmark this post to come back to in three years :v:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I feel like delinquent strutting around with your hook hand in your pockets is a good way to ruin some pants.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Hijack's power is a scary one in the hands of a bad guy.

Although, presumably this guy has no idea what his power is and is just yoinking spirits in general?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
His local small business is snatching children.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Someone remind me where we saw Dave before, it's been too long

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tetracube posted:

Someone remind me where we saw Dave before, it's been too long

After Max went to the school store he bumped into the student council guy. Dave there wandered by, SC kid was freaked out, but didn't explain anything other than that he's a local business owner.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Ok, wait.
Wait wait wait.

I can get a guy with a hook hand. And I can get a guy who casually says "Ahoy, there". And I can even get a guy named David who does by "Davy" instead of Dave.

But a guy who does all three? In a comic about the supernatural? I'm callin' it now, we got a friggin' Ghost Pirate on our hands. God only knows how he ended up in this landlocked town. Must be like Ghost Pirate Hell or something.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 9, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Ok, wait.
Wait wait wait.

I can get a guy with a hook hand. And I can get a guy who casually says "Ahoy, there". And I can even get a guy named David who does by "Davy" instead of Dave.

But a guy who does all three? In a comic about the supernatural? I'm callin' it now, we got a friggin' Ghost Pirate on our hands. God only knows how he ended up in this landlocked town. Must be like Ghost Pirate Hell or something.

Ahahaha, gently caress, you might be right. That's great.

Though that still raises the question of why he's visible now. Also I still like the theory that Lefty is his hand. Hm. Maybe Lefty's the ghost of this guy, and this is a possessed corpse? (With a pirate ghost or spirit possessing it?) Lefty could use the spec shot, so he may well have been a spectral before, and the ghost now piloting his body could be referring to how "he", specifically his body, used to be a spectral (instead of or in addition to he himself having been one) and stuff.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 9, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Davy Jones seems like a massive power jump from Hijack and even Forge.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I've heard from a reliable source that sprinkling root beer on ghost pirates is a sure way to defeat them.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
no more talking is in papyrus-y pirate-y font cuz dead men tell no tales

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Well I think that there was a lake involved at the incident all those years back, the one with Spender, so a lake pirate maybe?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Been listening to a recap podcast about those books so it was extra relavent to me.

Hijack, please be ok.

Morph Club?

And the fear of being mind controlled was solidified when I read those books as a kid. Spender got off lucky with not remembering anything.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Whoops

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

Morph Club?

And the fear of being mind controlled was solidified when I read those books as a kid. Spender got off lucky with not remembering anything.

Same, and that's the one. Tho apparently they mentioned they got shout-outs from one or two other recap blogs that they really want to listen to but can't because it might influence their own podcast too much.

But speaking of fear, my heart really sank when I read Dave asking those probing questions. It was like a horror movie moment. Almost wanted to shout at the screen to Hijack to lie and say all his buddies were all over the school or just get out of there asap. In a comic about outlandish dangers, seeing Dave use realistic predatory creep techniques was actually a little scary.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
same

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Guess he was just visiting school to stop by his locker

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Almost wanted to shout at the screen to Hijack to lie and say all his buddies were all over the school or just get out of there asap.

you should have, imo

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't that.

The trend of characters who try to be cool actually being huge dweebs (though he still manages to be pretty menacing/creepy in that last panel) continues. Who wants to bet that Dave's hook hand is fake, versus him having deliberately cut that hand off and replace it with the hook, which may or may not be combined with the previous "his old hand is Lefty" theory? (Pretty sure it's his tool, at least; beside it being where his spectral energy rose from last page, given that his power involves him snagging, or hooking, the scenery to distort it, it actually seems appropriate.)

That's an awesome power though, wow. And whoever said that it looked like the world was distorting around him before was probably right.

Alt-text: i don't have alt text. i feel like this whole page is alt text. yeah.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 15, 2018

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Oh, so the whole background looks like it was warping around him wasn't just artistic. Neat power.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Man, that is a cool tool.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't that.

The trend of characters who try to be cool actually being huge dweebs (though he still manages to be pretty menacing/creepy in that last panel) continues. Who wants to bet that Dave's hook hand is fake, versus him having deliberately cut that hand off and replace it with the hook, which may or may not be combined with the previous "his old hand is Lefty" theory? (Pretty sure it's his tool, at least; beside it being where his spectral energy rose from last page, given that his power involves him snagging, or hooking, the scenery to distort it, it actually seems appropriate.)

That's an awesome power though, wow. And whoever said that it looked like the world was distorting around him before was probably right.

Alt-text: i don't have alt text. i feel like this whole page is alt text. yeah.

I'd say there's a difference here though, while everyone else the goofiness undermined their threat and humanised them, Davey just comes off unhinged and creepier.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Sideways, Hijack. Always run sideways. You came out of the lockers, run back into them.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What a goddamn cool looking page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
name his stand