Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

My GF's dog and my best pal.

He looks like he's disappointed that you're not scolding him for shredding the paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I'm thoroughly a cat person. Those dog videos make me wish I understood dogs. They seem like great people, but I don't know as much about how they communicate, what they need, and how they behave as I do cats.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Hyperlynx posted:

I'm thoroughly a cat person. Those dog videos make me wish I understood dogs. They seem like great people, but I don't know as much about how they communicate, what they need, and how they behave as I do cats.
I'm a lifelong dog person and as of relatively recently I have a cat in my life now, and every day is a parade of :wtc: and :confused: and :3:

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Hyperlynx posted:

I have no idea at all if this correlates to you, but I know a few people who think about dogs the way they think about kids. Having them seems so consuming and stressful, I mean--the training! The walks and treats and food and they can destroy your house! You can't leave them alone too long, and they don't live as long as cats can. The effort it takes to care for a dog is so much different then cats. But when you get down to it, what many dogs want is just to make you happy. They want, essentially, to please. Cats aren't necessarily as concerned with this, and most don't require such attention. Which makes them great, because they're independent, they're subtler.

But I don't really hold with the whole "cat person/dog person" stuff, generally. Some people are fully in one camp or another-and that's fine-I just think it's more fluid then that. People who have owned dogs and end up owning a cat, or vice versa, tend to be cagey about it. I had someone try to justify owning a cat to me once by saying "but he's just like a dog!" No, he's just a more demonstrative cat. You don't have to choose. You can love an animal because it's your buddy, it's your companion, your savior or your little household demon. But you love them, by god, even when they pee on your new loving shoes.

I know this probably has little to do with you, Hyperlynx (a name that seems fitting) but it's just a ramble. I think it's fascinating, but I work all day with dogs and own two cats, and set myself firmly in the middle of loving all of 'em. Those shoes weren't that comfortable anyways.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Dogs tend to be "I want _____!" and cats tend to be more "You should know what I want, when I want it and how much of it I want."

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Das Boo posted:

cats tend to be more "You should know what I want, when I want it and how much of it I want."

Everything, all the time, all of it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Bobby Digital posted:

Everything, all the time, all of it.

Unless it's belly rubs. There's a threshold somewhere between good and murder.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
http://imgur.com/hyGyHdI.webm

Eggbeater Jesus
Sep 21, 2008

Add a dab of lavender to milk. Leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it.

When I was snorkeling off the coast of Florida I had a pufferfish swim up to me to investigate what was going on. Tiny little guy, maybe three inches long, and uber cute :kimchi:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Das Boo posted:

Dogs tend to be "I want _____!" and cats tend to be more "You should know what I want, when I want it and how much of it I want."

This morning, I walked out of my bathroom and my cat was sitting in front of it. I said, "Hello," and she screamed at me and then ran under a chair. I am not sure if that's what she wanted, but she got it.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Dogs and cats raised together can make awesome pals, in fact it's not even necessary to raise them together sometimes. My neighbour had a kitten called Elmo, and as he grew he roamed the neighbourhood and soon discovered our family dog Muffy. She was barely tolerated by our own humourless cat, but Elmo just wanted someone to wrassle with and decided a little hairy dog would do. So the kitten play wrestled with the dog, the dog play chased the cat, they both had fun times and no one got hurt. I've always had cats around and feel like a cat person but I really miss having a dog in the family. Even the sometimes tense relationship between my family's old cat and our little dog contained an amount of affection. A dog can be a good friend, even to an unwilling cat.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
My favorite part about being a shelter volunteer is in the morning I can go walk the dogs and everyone gets lots of exercise and fun times outside, and treats, and kisses. And then in the afternoon I can go sit on the floor in the cat rows and chill with some cat pals and bat around some mice or just sit and squint at each other.

I really wish it was my full time job.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Eggbeater Jesus posted:

When I was snorkeling off the coast of Florida I had a pufferfish swim up to me to investigate what was going on. Tiny little guy, maybe three inches long, and uber cute :kimchi:
I once briefly dated a girl whose friend was a pretty huge aquarium hobbyist. In one of his tanks he had two pufferfish. One was a huge honking lummox, like double the one in that gif above, and the other was THE TINIEST THING, about the size of a fingertip. The tiny one just flitted about the tank sideways using its fins, with that funny :haw: face pufferfish have. Like a diminutive underwater helicopter* strafing around. It was adorable. :kimchi:

*just one with propellers on the sides, somehow

Nordick has a new favorite as of 05:11 on Mar 12, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy9dVKx5ei8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnCqME_4gXE

BattleMaster has a new favorite as of 05:14 on Mar 12, 2016

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
All those :cthulhu: are so smart. I used to love calamari and I can't eat it anymore.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

feed me

bonus: https://vine.co/v/eh1J1LnnWKH :kimchi:

cash crab has a new favorite as of 05:44 on Mar 12, 2016

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

cash crab posted:

This morning, I walked out of my bathroom and my cat was sitting in front of it. I said, "Hello," and she screamed at me and then ran under a chair. I am not sure if that's what she wanted, but she got it.

This is delightful! I have one that screams when I shower, and another that has to sleep on my face at least partially. Cats are like Greek gods-- temperamental and insane, but really entertaining.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 06:09 on Mar 12, 2016

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
If I had to choose between cat politics and television for entertainment, I'd go with cat politics for sure. Every day there's some kind of drama between Napoleon syndrome sufferer Sheego and Big Dumb Puffin, or territory disputes between Catalina and her sons Brutus and Batboy, or Old Man loudly protesting his lack of food. We discuss the cat news in the house like it's real news.

E: Here's our buddies who we lost recently, Shy Guy and Ludo. They had the same genetic condition. But they had good lives while they were here.

Baby Ludo.

Croisquessein has a new favorite as of 07:07 on Mar 12, 2016

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

porkswordonboard posted:

I have no idea at all if this correlates to you, but I know a few people who think about dogs the way they think about kids. Having them seems so consuming and stressful, I mean--the training! The walks and treats and food and they can destroy your house! You can't leave them alone too long, and they don't live as long as cats can. The effort it takes to care for a dog is so much different then cats. But when you get down to it, what many dogs want is just to make you happy. They want, essentially, to please. Cats aren't necessarily as concerned with this, and most don't require such attention. Which makes them great, because they're independent, they're subtler.

But I don't really hold with the whole "cat person/dog person" stuff, generally. Some people are fully in one camp or another-and that's fine-I just think it's more fluid then that. People who have owned dogs and end up owning a cat, or vice versa, tend to be cagey about it. I had someone try to justify owning a cat to me once by saying "but he's just like a dog!" No, he's just a more demonstrative cat. You don't have to choose. You can love an animal because it's your buddy, it's your companion, your savior or your little household demon. But you love them, by god, even when they pee on your new loving shoes.

I know this probably has little to do with you, Hyperlynx (a name that seems fitting) but it's just a ramble. I think it's fascinating, but I work all day with dogs and own two cats, and set myself firmly in the middle of loving all of 'em. Those shoes weren't that comfortable anyways.

I meant more that I understand cats pretty well, just from experience and reading up, so I know how to read their body language and so react to their mood. How to approach politely, when to back off, that sort of thing. I have almost no clue about dog body language. I find myself looking for cat cues and having to remind myself that it's a different animal altogether. It's like people who don't know how to talk to kids, and are like "ok, it's a kid. I have no idea what to do with you". I'd like to be able to "speak dog" better, I guess.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Yoink!

https://twitter.com/Hag0605/status/706969998867243008

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I have special dogs. They're good dogs, or at least good dogs live inside them somewhere. We've had a lot of problems with obedience classes and them being too keyed up to do well and reacting to other dogs. We were frustrated and they were frustrated by the end of the classes.

Last night we took them to their first nose work class and they did spectacularly and you could see that they were really happy and proud of themselves. The instructor told us privately he was really happy to have them in class because they were already so good. It's a little early but I'm so happy we found something they can be good at.

Marius Pontmercy has a new favorite as of 17:24 on Mar 12, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

All those :cthulhu: are so smart. I used to love calamari and I can't eat it anymore.

I love all cephalopods but cuttlefish and their close relatives the reef squids are my favourite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmraRAPAguo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udWMMWM54p8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an3nv0dk9K0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJMmWsnNDUU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpeX3lmULC4

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Eponine posted:

I have special dogs. They're good dogs, or at least good dogs live inside them somewhere. We've had a lot of problems with obedience classes and them being too keyed up to do well and reacting to other dogs. We were frustrated and they were frustrated by the end of the classes.

Last night we took them to their first nose work class and they did spectacularly and you could see that they were really happy and proud of themselves. The instructor told us privately he was really happy to have them in class because they were already so good. It's a little early but I'm so happy we found something they can be good at.

These dogs have no regards for tables. :(

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You appear to have acquired herding dogs. Good luck.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

These dogs have no regards for tables. :(

Oh no! I was mobile posting and it auto formats. Lemme change it.

goatface posted:

You appear to have acquired herding dogs. Good luck.

We've had them both for 18 months now and they behave well inside with us and we kind of tried doing trick classes and agility and it just was not a good fit. They're smart dogs, but the herders in them get the best of them in a class setting and we could tell that the instructors would get annoyed with them.

Marius Pontmercy has a new favorite as of 17:28 on Mar 12, 2016

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Eponine posted:

Oh god, considering their breeds, they are going to be a pain unless you have a lot of space for them to run. I used to train beagles for field work/hunting and sometimes we would have shepards in the group and they would flip out over every little thing.

Good to hear that they are learning. I wish you the best of luck.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

BattleMaster posted:

I love all cephalopods but cuttlefish and their close relatives the reef squids are my favourite.
This reminds me, it's been a while since we had some zefrank in this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDwOi7HpHtQ

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Didn't see this posted - I think I found the spirit animal of Scatman John

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi_hejNwPxI

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ozz81 posted:

Didn't see this posted - I think I found the spirit animal of Scatman John

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi_hejNwPxI

There is a strong connection between glossolalia (speaking in tongues) and Satanic worship.
Things go awry when a drunk demon accidentally possesses a goat.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

must. touch. thing.
https://twitter.com/paperbeatstweet/status/708187886152077313

It's good to keep a few around for parts.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
http://i.imgur.com/bxu1DN9.gifv

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Das Boo posted:

Also "gently caress this thing on your nightstand/table/dresser."

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Going back to our theme of food-like animals

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Nordick posted:

This reminds me, it's been a while since we had some zefrank in this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDwOi7HpHtQ

Lol, I've always loved that video but it bothers me that he lumps bobtail squids in (the ones that bury themselves to hide) in with cuttlefish! They're not cuttlefish!!! They're not squids either; they're their own thing in the ten-limbed cephalopod category

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Eponine posted:

We've had them both for 18 months now and they behave well inside with us and we kind of tried doing trick classes and agility and it just was not a good fit. They're smart dogs, but the herders in them get the best of them in a class setting and we could tell that the instructors would get annoyed with them.

Heeler dogs are best dogs. I wouldn't give up on other stuff, any decent instructor would work with the dog and its tendencies. Most classes just have one dog out at a time anyway so there's nothing for it to herd.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Obligatory Toast posted:

Also "gently caress this thing on your nightstand/table/dresser."

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Garrand posted:

Going back to our theme of food-like animals

Well-bread dogs.

Whereas these

are well-breaded dogs.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

IMJack posted:

Well-bread dogs.

Whereas these

are well-breaded dogs.

This stuff is the best meme the internet has produced to date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Rexxed posted:

Cattail Sapporo takes red panda videos at the Maruyama Zoo in Japan almost every day. But sometimes he takes video of squirrels! These squirrels have much bigger ear tufts than the ones I see in the US.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pK3psOVuhA

OH MY GOSH! That was just too adorable!

• Locked thread