Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

adamantium|wang posted:

Those are some loving amazing mans Sulecrist.

I chose Death Guard because I really wanted a change of pace from painting straight laced Ultramarines. I wanted to challenge myself with a color I'd not used much before (white) and also try out weathering which I'd never done before. Thematically I love them; they were lead by a dude that started a peasant revolution against tyrannical overlords and after briefly following his dream of freeing oppressed peoples everywhere they turned first into an arm of an oppressive tyrannical regime then into an indiscriminate terror against those they used to protect. The cult of personality they built around Mortarion and their drive to be able to endure anything stopped them from ever asking just why the hell they were doing what they did.

I really like the paint scheme of the pre-Mortarion guys (Dusk Raiders).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Hey Sulecrist - what sort of varnish do you use on your dudes.

It’s like the perfect amount of shiny.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
A couple of thin coats of Testors Glosscote before decals, a couple thin coats of Dullcote after. I’ve used it for about five years in foul weather and fair, and literally the only problem I’ve ever had is that the cans are basically identical once the lids are off, so they get mixed up easily.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Sulecrist posted:

A couple of thin coats of Testors Glosscote before decals, a couple thin coats of Dullcote after. I’ve used it for about five years in foul weather and fair, and literally the only problem I’ve ever had is that the cans are basically identical once the lids are off, so they get mixed up easily.

Awesome, thanks.

I usually just use Dullcote, but I’ll see if I can track down a can of Glosscote.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

Sulecrist posted:

I can vouch for testers, it’s amazing and gives a fantastic finish

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I chose Death Guard because their scheme was the easiest/least insane in that one FW pdf with painting instructions. You know what I'm talking about!

I'm running them as loyalists, since I don't feel like playing traitors, and I think that the whole "eh, who needs a good plan when you can tough it out" is silly and my loyalist force commander thought as such. This would be basically the reason why IWs - if I ever collected them - would be loyalist: some commander always thought Pert to be a moody emo git and wanted to break away from the whole "we'll bury the enemy under our own corpses" thing.

My thinking is so rigid that WBs are probably the only army that I'd collect as tretors.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

JcDent posted:

I chose Death Guard because their scheme was the easiest/least insane in that one FW pdf with painting instructions. You know what I'm talking about!

I'm running them as loyalists, since I don't feel like playing traitors, and I think that the whole "eh, who needs a good plan when you can tough it out" is silly and my loyalist force commander thought as such. This would be basically the reason why IWs - if I ever collected them - would be loyalist: some commander always thought Pert to be a moody emo git and wanted to break away from the whole "we'll bury the enemy under our own corpses" thing.

My thinking is so rigid that WBs are probably the only army that I'd collect as tretors.

I feel you. I can't even bring myself play the Caesar-side in FNV. I just don't do "bad guy" (relative to the universe, I mean).

Endman
May 18, 2010

But the Word Bearers are the good guys

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Endman posted:

But the Word Bearers are the good guys

:monocle:

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

panascope posted:

It’d be fun to see everyone’s reasoning for picking their Legions/ad mech slaves/human sacrifices.

I picked Sons of Horus because I always liked the Black Legion fluff of Abaddon having to scrape together a bunch of outcasts and point them at the Imperium, I wanted to play with Horus the second I saw you could use Primarchs, and I loved the idea of being the leader of the bad guys.

World Eaters are at the top of my list because I noticed that I'd coincidentally painted all my AdMech guys in a slight shift of their pre Heresy colour scheme - bone and light blue as opposed to white and dark blue.

Once that twigged for me I saw an awesome dialogue between my armies in my AdMech being a World Eaters support crew that slightly altered their colour scheme for plausible deniability when the war was lost, but they've still got robbits in the vaults in their Heresy era colour scheme. You can see the visual evolution of the Forge World's loyalties across the six main robbits.

The dudes in violet are the Apothecary branch of the force responsible for implanting Butchers Nails. They're barely concealled Khorne cultists.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Cessna posted:

White Scars - Pros: Mongols in space could be a fun theme. Cons: I hate the bike models.

But outrider bikes fukkin own though.

I picked Thousand Sons because I always loved their "good intentions lead to a tragic end" and psykers. And man Thousand Sons got plenty of both.

But now I've somewhat pivoted to White Scars because Chris Wraight told me to. And jetbikes own, outrider bikes own, javelins own, lightnings own.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I'm thinking of buying 40K Marine bikes and giving them DG helmets and shoulderpads to make them look more 30k. Sure, the Outriders are updated Epic Marine bikes, but I feel like the brutal shapes of the 40K ones serve DG better.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm kinda the odd duck because I was starting a legion right before 30k became a thing.

I basically picked IW because they were the least chaos influenced back in 4th edition. They felt like they were the most organized, like an old legion, which was the most interesting fluff for me. I was about to get back into 40k and decided to go with a pre-heresy theme, so I used FW models with a few chaos bits and painted them to look way more uniform.

Boom. Same year HH drops and I just ran with it and never looked back. Now my guys are more chaosy looking than most legion dudes, but that should become the new hotness in a few black books.
Gotta stay ahead of those 30k fashion trends.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BULBASAUR posted:

Gotta stay ahead of those 30k fashion trends.

If that was true you'd sell your models or just burn them. Everyone knows 30k is getting cancelled within the year.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Jokes on you. I'm gonna grind them up and snort them instead

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

BULBASAUR posted:

Jokes on you. I'm gonna grind them up and snort them instead

A cocaine habit would be cheaper/healthier.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

JcDent posted:

I'm thinking of buying 40K Marine bikes and giving them DG helmets and shoulderpads to make them look more 30k. Sure, the Outriders are updated Epic Marine bikes, but I feel like the brutal shapes of the 40K ones serve DG better.

Well, at the very least that would be massively cheaper.

:rip: wallet when it comes to outriders and jetbikes

Endman
May 18, 2010

I forgot to contribute to the ‘why I chose my legion’ conversation on the previous page.

I hadn’t really made a deal out of it, because I didn’t want to jinx myself out of it :v:, but I’ve chosen the Word Bearers to be my legion after vacillating for so long/procrastinating over my piles of bare plastic.

Partly the decision came from painting one marine from each legion until I found a scheme I really liked - the red was super easy and looked good - and partly due to reading ‘The First Heretic’ and finding the characters really compelling. Thanks, ADB.

Word Bearers also have the advantage of not being played by anyone else I know. We’ve got Imperial Fists, Iron Warriors, Raven Guard, Death Guard, Alpha Legion, Night Lords, Talons of the Emperor and World Eaters being played at the moment, so it’s nice not to double up.

Anyway, put me down for this year’s :toxx: for 1 HQ, 1 Troop Choice and 1 Other Thing.

I’ll post the Forgeworld order when I get around to buying what I need to make sure it’s clear I’m starting from scratch on this one.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Endman posted:

Anyway, put me down for this year’s :toxx: for 1 HQ, 1 Troop Choice and 1 Other Thing.

I’ll post the Forgeworld order when I get around to buying what I need to make sure it’s clear I’m starting from scratch on this one.

Welcome to the infinite moneypit resin-induced lung cancer support group 30k club, don't hesitate to hop into the slack channel where jewels of wonder are made.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

JcDent posted:

The Sons of Horus version takes something like 20 pots of paint and it’s not even how FW paints them.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

JcDent posted:

Sure, the Outriders are updated Epic Marine bikes

:wth:

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
I chose Emperor's Children because I was itching to paint some purple and the sculpts on unique legion units are awesome. Elite guys (who aren't full on banana boos) that become Too Perfect and fall to chaos? Sign me up.

Also Eidolon is just the coolest.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Emperor's Children are very cool. The purple could look good, and it's a chance to use all of that 40K eagle-bling.

Salamanders are another possibility; I could do some airbrushed flame effects and make everything look like a custom van from the 70's.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I chose Ultramarines because they'd been my boys since I was a kid. I wanted to do a scheme with a richer, darker blue after doing all my old school Ultras, and I loved the models for Guilliman and the Suzerians. I was thinking them, Night Lords, or Iron Warriors, but First Heretic/Know No Fear/Betrayer sold me on them.

My future plans are to wait for the game to get changed over to 8th since I'm kinda done with 7th ed rules. Once it does I'll get back into the Ultras, I've still got some characters I never painted for them.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

SRM posted:

the game to get changed over to 8th

Sweet Jesus, please no

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hixson posted:

Sweet Jesus, please no

I opened a rulebook and saw like twelve special rules I'd have to cross reference across two books just to use my dumb dude with a sword, started sweating and immediately sold my rulebooks on ebay

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Hixson posted:

Sweet Jesus, please no

:same:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

SRM posted:

I opened a rulebook and saw like twelve special rules I'd have to cross reference across two books just to use my dumb dude with a sword, started sweating and immediately sold my rulebooks on ebay

8th made you dumb(er)

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SRM posted:

I chose Ultramarines because they'd been my boys since I was a kid. I wanted to do a scheme with a richer, darker blue after doing all my old school Ultras, and I loved the models for Guilliman and the Suzerians. I was thinking them, Night Lords, or Iron Warriors, but First Heretic/Know No Fear/Betrayer sold me on them.

My future plans are to wait for the game to get changed over to 8th since I'm kinda done with 7th ed rules. Once it does I'll get back into the Ultras, I've still got some characters I never painted for them.

Mods? The big mean man is ruining our safe space.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hixson posted:

8th made you dumb(er)
so sorry that the Horus Heresy is all you have left

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I play dark angels because I'm gay, thank you for reading my post.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I went with Dark Angels for 30k because they've been my army since I started 40k back in 3rd at 12 years old. Back then, I chose them becuase they were dark green and that's my favorite color. :downs: I stuck with them after that because I liked the darker angle compared to the other named chapters. I also grew up to be a stubborn, semi-reclusive, technically adept weirdo so I guess it all fits. However, I feel like I should note that I do NOT have a sword collection.

When 30k rolled around, I knew I was going to do Dark Angels no matter what, but that I'd have to wait a while until they got rules or any coverage at all. Once Book VI came out I got started with a couple of Calth boxes and went from there. I'm not enamored with the 30k DA scheme of black armor and silver trim (I'd rather be painting green), but I've gone hard for all sorts of checkers and basic heraldry. Highlighting black armor is a loving hassle, but I love the overall look of the army and I'm looking forward to finally getting real rules and models in Angelus in 2020 TBD never. At least Ironwing and Ravenwing are both cool Rites of War and I have the time to knock out all of my generic units before the legion-specific stuff hits. And we have cool hats.
:gbsmith:

This is the good stuff. Your Sons of Horus have always been one of the best looking armies in this thread.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I play dark angels because I'm gay, thank you for reading my post.
:quig:

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

SRM posted:

My 8th Ed Sons of Horus counts-as-Black-Legion army requires me to bring more rulebooks around (main rulebook, Codex Chaos Space Marines, Chaos Index, FW Chaos Index, plus Chapter Approved for points costs) than my 30k army (main rulebook and two redbooks). My Imperial 8th Ed armies are much heavier than that, even at lower points. Also, with 30k, the standardized special rules mean I can go off memory more easily.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hixson posted:

8th made you dumb(er)

ETTIN

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I chose Death Guard because I played them in 40k since I was a kid, long before HH came out. I liked them back then because they were green and tough and thought their symbols were cool. Still are.

Now doing loyalist War Hounds because I think a backstory for them is cool and I like the Ultramarines But Cool colors.

Also, you don't need to carry around any rulebooks if you just make everything up as you go!

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

SRM posted:

so sorry that the Horus Heresy is all you have left

Can you teach me how to line highlight?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I spent so much time hating 7e that I though 8e was going to be good. And while it has good stuff (AP, no more random rolling for WTs or Powers, Vehicles and MCs aren't that unbalanced, everything can technically hurt everything) it found some new bullshit (Mortal Wounds, vehicles becoming MCs, aura stacking). I can probably say that I hate 8e less than I do/did 7e, but HH is in 7e++, so I can't do poo poo.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Breathtaking.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hixson posted:

Can you teach me how to line highlight?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwzZ-yMm6E0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope