Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
FIPS is the worst omg. What do you mean I have to use Java 11 :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

The Fool posted:

ding ding ding motherfucker

This is the way

And to the dude who was mad at pings, just turn on DND or turn down your volume or idk turn down the volume in the Windows mixer

And whoever was having issues shutting down teams, that sounds like a bad GPO or script, idk.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I like to harrass colleagues by going through old parts of chats and giving the thumbs up reaction to 10-20 ancient messages

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

tehinternet posted:

And to the dude who was mad at pings, just turn on DND or turn down your volume or idk turn down the volume in the Windows mixer

You think I'd let a messaging program make a sound at me? Lol no.

But I do see your notifications bothering the hell out of me. I'm not going to put DND on, because I need my notifications from other people, but I am probably going to mute you and then forget that you exist and then one day it's going to be important and your poo poo is going to go to the ether

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I’ve worked with people who’d never chat but always straight up call you on teams.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

LochNessMonster posted:

I’ve worked with people who’d never chat but always straight up call you on teams.

I'm sitting next to a guy who called someone on the phone and asked them to send him a link.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Phoning somebody within your company when you use Teams without a quick message to ask if they can take a call has always been jarring to me. If it happens to me I expect it to be urgent and it’s always something that could have been an IM.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Got my first actual IT job offer yesterday :yotj:

After a total of five years in customer support (calls, then email for the last year, having taken 9 months away before it).

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Thanks Ants posted:

Phoning somebody within your company when you use Teams without a quick message to ask if they can take a call has always been jarring to me. If it happens to me I expect it to be urgent and it’s always something that could have been an IM.

Same, I always check if it’s ok to call because I know how annoying it is to context switch when you’re 2 hours into a complex issue and you’ve almost found the root cause.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't like teams, because we had slack but are moving to teams, and a company we acquired has teams that we are heavily involved with. So I get messages on slack, teams, and teams (guest). loving end me

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Thanks Ants posted:

The pro move is to send a Teams message, then wait 10 seconds, then call to ask whether the recipient has read the message.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Currently working at a contact center, customer support

Internally, we use teams, to chat with managers etc. We also are guests in the client's slack, with access to specific channels, to post questions to them.

The "we'll be out for the holidays until January 8" message is still up in the slack, which means our ordinary form doesn't work, so everyone posts freehand

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Christ, yes, it's horrible. There were two people I used to interact with who had that habit and they were always the two people I wanted to hear from least to begin with. Random calls didn't improve anyone's opinion of them.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Someone at Business Insider wrote a piece on shotgunning applications with AI and it went as well as you’d expect: https://www.businessinsider.com/job-applications-hiring-ai-bots-spam-resume-cover-letter-2024-3

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

quote:

The first bot I tried was called Sonara. For $79.99 a month, I signed up for the most expensive "amplitude" plan, which would allow me to apply for 420 openings.

I'm going to assume the worst here and guess that the product manager picked this number on purpose :jerkbag:

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I really just
wish that
people would
not send
me messages
that look like this.

Especially if they pause for 10 seconds between each message, causing my teams to ping/flash dragging me away from what I am trying to do. Use complete sentences for Christ sakes, this is a professional setting not some discord jerkoff session.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Serperoth posted:

After a total of five years in customer support (calls, then email for the last year, having taken 9 months away before it).

:hfive: whatcha gonna be doing?
(Also just noticed that smilie doesn’t work well in the iOS awful app.)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

rafikki posted:

:hfive: whatcha gonna be doing?
(Also just noticed that smilie doesn’t work well in the iOS awful app.)

1st level support on incidents/change requests, I think MS365 stuff. I'll be employed by a company, which does IT services for others, and attached to a specific client to start with.

They offer certs and study, as well as potential to upgrade, for example joining implementation teams and so on, and I think the line is to eventually become their own guy, rather than attached to that client. Indefinite-term contract, potential for raises, it's a field I've wanted to go into for years, plus addressing just about all my complaints with the CS company (fixed-term contracts, no raises, no development, etc)

Doesn't work great on dark mode either, the hands are pretty thin so they're not very visible, it's the sentiment that counts :D

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Cimber posted:

I really just
wish that
people would
not send
me messages
that look like this.

Especially if they pause for 10 seconds between each message, causing my teams to ping/flash dragging me away from what I am trying to do. Use complete sentences for Christ sakes, this is a professional setting not some discord jerkoff session.

don't make me do it again

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

if you're not careful I'll send a message that is just "Hello"

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Serperoth posted:

Congrats!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

The Fool posted:

Hello.

<ten minutes pass>

How are you?

LOL, someone made a website about this. https://nohello.net/en/

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

:sickos:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hello

.jpg

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Serperoth posted:

Hell yeah! Congrats!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Cimber posted:

Hello.

<ten minutes pass>

How are you?

LOL, someone made a website about this. https://nohello.net/en/

Yeah, this poo poo can be infuriating especially if there's a time zone difference. Please kindly give me something actionable when you contact me, so that 6 hours later when I get to work I can simply reply with the answer you need.

Otherwise I'm simply going to reply with "Hello", which you'll see 12 hours from now. We get to spend another day in limbo together. Hooray :confuoot:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Antigravitas posted:

Yeah, this poo poo can be infuriating especially if there's a time zone difference. Please kindly give me something actionable when you contact me, so that 6 hours later when I get to work I can simply reply with the answer you need.

Otherwise I'm simply going to reply with "Hello", which you'll see 12 hours from now. We get to spend another day in limbo together. Hooray :confuoot:

This feels like a specific situation tho. You should be aware of when the people you are pinging work, and tailor your interactions appropriately.

If its someone in or near your TZ its more socially acceptable to be more conversational, while yeah, if someone is on the other side of the planet the message should effectively be an email.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Or a meeting

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Serperoth posted:

1st level support on incidents/change requests, I think MS365 stuff. I'll be employed by a company, which does IT services for others, and attached to a specific client to start with.

They offer certs and study, as well as potential to upgrade, for example joining implementation teams and so on, and I think the line is to eventually become their own guy, rather than attached to that client. Indefinite-term contract, potential for raises, it's a field I've wanted to go into for years, plus addressing just about all my complaints with the CS company (fixed-term contracts, no raises, no development, etc)

Doesn't work great on dark mode either, the hands are pretty thin so they're not very visible, it's the sentiment that counts :D

Hell yeah goon congrats!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

RFC2324 posted:

This feels like a specific situation tho. You should be aware of when the people you are pinging work, and tailor your interactions appropriately.

If its someone in or near your TZ its more socially acceptable to be more conversational, while yeah, if someone is on the other side of the planet the message should effectively be an email.

The point is, don't waste my time and make me to stop thinking of what I was working on while I wait for you to say something useful.

Hi
<time passes>
How are you?
<time passes>
Do you know how to list contents of a file system?

or

Hey, how are you doing? Hey listen, I am trying to list contents of a file system, can you help?

(to which I'm going to say to both with some irritation "Did you bother to google first, fuckstick?")

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep

klosterdev posted:

Teams owns, it's a fantastic collaboration and productivity app that manages to do 90% of what a bunch of other apps combined can do, bundled with M365. When it launched it needed more time in the oven but nowadays it's pretty great.

Thank you for your service, billg.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Goons are so hilariously misanthropic

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Cimber posted:

I really just
wish that
people would
not send
me messages
that look like this.

Really depends on the relationship with the person pinging imo

Internal to your department? Discord it up. Business users? Professional.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

The Fool posted:

hi

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

The Fool posted:

*message has been deleted*

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

RFC2324 posted:

The root problem is applying something that is polite in synchronous communication (waiting for a reply after the greeting when you meet face to face) to asynchronous communication, where it frustrates everyone involved.

Spend a few months coming back from meetings to several "Hi"s in your chats, and silence when you reply (the other side is now in a meeting/at home/eating/etc.), and I guarantee you will go absolutely barmy.

Please, I beg you people, tell me what you want, what you really really want, when you contact me.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

CLAM DOWN posted:

xp_cmdshell

e: oh my god it prompted me, lmao

I had to test it too. Wouldn't you know it lmao

Ancient quote, I know. I was out last week.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
New Thread title: Working in IT 3.0: Don't say hi.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I only respond to properly formed tcp/ip packets with my public key in them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I love it when people run monitoring scripts manually that are setup to run automically on a scehdueld basis thus increasing teh work our department is doing and eliminating the reason why we automated the loving thing in the first pla;se;lsdflk;jkjsdafdfdfscc v rthhghhdfsavf godmanrt it

gently caress IT