Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Albert
Jun 19, 2004
Man, thank you all so much for your advice. It's been invaluable in fleshing out our ideas about this trip.

I think many of you may be right about the allocation of time to smaller cities like Dresden and Nuremberg, so we're looking to cut both down to 2 nights instead.

It sounds like I also had too much time set aside for Munich and Krakow, so we might reduce that a little, but still leave some time since we had wanted to see sights outside of those cities (e.g. Auschwitz and Wieliczka, Neuschwanstein).

I've also been to Budapest, and yeah I also prefer it in most ways to Prague. We're toying with inserting it into the itinerary now - does anybody have any experience with the Polish railways? We would probably go from Krakow, and it seems like an impressively long journey (close to 10 hours).

I had also been thinking of including Wroclaw as a halfway stop between Dresden and Krakow, but unsure how much time would be worth spending there?

Also, any thoughts on Bratislava? I had never thought to go there, but it's en route between many of the places we're already planning to visit. Worth it?

Current revised itinerary:

Berlin (5 nights)
Dresden (2 nights)
Krakow (4 nights)
Budapest (4 nights)
Vienna (4 nights)
Prague (3 nights)
Nuremberg (2 nights)
Munich (3 nights)

Nuremberg is the location I am most wavering on. I had especially wanted to see the rally grounds, and I'd heard the Christmas markets are especially awesome there (though, I expect the Christmas markets in many of the places we're visiting will be fairly spectacular..), but i'm not sure.

Also, huge appreciation for people's thoughts on places to visit in and around these cities. You guys have already added a few things to our list that I probably wouldn't have thought of!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Fat Albert posted:

Also, any thoughts on Bratislava? I had never thought to go there, but it's en route between many of the places we're already planning to visit. Worth it?

Skip it. Bratislava is OK but when you've got so many great cities nearby it's really not worth a stop. The old town is very small (like a couple of blocks small), and the castle is fairly modern (albeit impressive).

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Wtf is this thing?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
You mean you don't know?? :laugh:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It's a bidet. They're common in southern Europe but are not seen anywhere in northern Europe.

Bidets are used for cleaning your pooper with water. Fans claim it's more hygienic than using toilet paper.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
The inferior alternative to a proper bumgun.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Carbon dioxide posted:

It's a bidet. They're common in southern Europe but are not seen anywhere in northern Europe.

Bidets are used for cleaning your pooper with water. Fans claim it's more hygienic than using toilet paper.

I know what a bidet is, but I'm seriously stuck trying to figure out how you make the water from that faucet reach your anus in a way that's not going to make a giant loving mess.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Jesus Christ that's not a bidet, it's a mop sink.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Anything is a bidet if you're flexible enough.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Julio Cruz posted:

Jesus Christ that's not a bidet, it's a mop sink.

Thanks! I knew it couldn't be a bidet because it was in the middle of a hallway between the toilets and the showers. And I've used bidets before, in Rome and Napoli.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

All the best vacations are about checking off the most boxes in a list of historical sites in the least amount of time possible.

I'm used to building in enough downtime for my wife to function, but some of my best days this past trip were just parking myself at an outdoor table at a bierhall in the altstadt and just practicing my hs German to whoever came by. I expected to be bored out of my mind in Dusseldorf, because there's not really anything to do, but the stuff you find for yourself to do is quite often the best stuff. To do.

Sorry, just slept for 14 hours after finally getting home. Anyway, downtime is really underrated.

My father spent his entire week in Malta just sitting on a terrace in front of our hotel, ordering milkshakes and reading the paper, that was probably his best holiday ever.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Shibawanko posted:

My father spent his entire week in Malta just sitting on a terrace in front of our hotel, ordering milkshakes and reading the paper, that was probably his best holiday ever.

I love doing this, too. I may spend more time in a city than I "need", but if it's a decently habitable city, I'll find a place and just chill. Visit a museum, gallery, or other tourist area, then have a few drinks over the course of a night and stumble into bed with a kebab in hand.

I think this is why my next vacation is just going to be 3 cities over a two week period, even if there's "little to do" there. If there's a public square, I'm in.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

mojo1701a posted:

I think this is why my next vacation is just going to be 3 cities over a two week period, even if there's "little to do" there. If there's a public square, I'm in.

Go to Ljubljana, you will not regret it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

Bidets used to be fairly common in northern europe as well (at least in Sweden), but they fell out of fashion some time in the 80s. I remember my parents and several of my friends and relatives having a bidet in their bathroom in the mid-80s, but by the early 90s most of those bathrooms had been renovated and the bidets were gone.

That isn't a bidet though, it's a mop sink, like others already said. This is a bidet:

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 2, 2018

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

mojo1701a posted:

I love doing this, too. I may spend more time in a city than I "need", but if it's a decently habitable city, I'll find a place and just chill. Visit a museum, gallery, or other tourist area, then have a few drinks over the course of a night and stumble into bed with a kebab in hand.

This is why I don't really understand the people who want to visit 5 different countries in a two week period. I go on holiday to relax, not to force myself into following an exact-to-the-hour itinerary so I can check off as many things from a Buzzfeed listicle as possible.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Julio Cruz posted:

This is why I don't really understand the people who want to visit 5 different countries in a two week period. I go on holiday to relax, not to force myself into following an exact-to-the-hour itinerary so I can check off as many things from a Buzzfeed listicle as possible.

Ehh people are different. I personally like a mix of the two, whereas my mother loves the actual travelling part of it and thinks that any minute not spent looking at/learning something is a wasted minute, so she 100% enjoys going on trips that are planned out down to the minute. She'll send me her itinerary since they all have her hotel/flight info, etc, and it'll be like 6 single-spaced pages for a two week trip around say Northern Germany by train. It looks like pure hell to me, but she loves it and comes back raving about everything she saw.

I tend to travel like that for like a week, and then I spend a few days with a much more relaxed schedule, then repeat for as long as I'm holidaying for.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

HookShot posted:

Go to Ljubljana, you will not regret it.

Absolutely. My original plan for next year (assuming I could afford it) was to do Prague, Bratislava, and Vienna (originally Budapest, but Vienna's closer).

Now I'm leaning towards Ljubljana, Budapest, and possibly Zagreb (I have a friend who moved from Canada to become a doctor in Croatia, and also runs in some way a small B&B in Povile, I think). At least there the cost of living should be lower, if AirBnB prices are any indication.

Then again, theoretically next year, I get a third week's paid vacation, so that's something to consider.

Julio Cruz posted:

Yeah, I admit I kind of made this mistake just now with Ireland by going to five different cities and spending only 48 hours at most in any place that wasn't Dublin.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I think at least some of it comes from the criminally low amount of holiday time most Americans get. Europeans and Australians generally have way more time off, so there isn’t quite that same impulse to try and “see” 6 countries in 8 days.

That said, I think it’s a mistake a lot of people make, particularly on their first trip abroad before they really realise what a bad idea it is.

And yes, Ljubljana is cool but the rest of Slovenia is even better. There’s way more to see than just Lake Bled!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Julio Cruz posted:

How else can Luxembourg be a tourist stop over? Gotta inflate the number of countries visited!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Question about analog bidets,

I tried using it once but the water pressure isn’t that hard, so it was more of a water brush feathering my butt.

Guess it’s good enough for a good outer rinse? You guys don’t go Indian style and jam the left hand in there do you? I think doing that just makes a bigger mess out of the shallow bidet and no one wants to leave chunks in there :barf:

Just use an electronic washlet and keep things cleaner.

Oh and don’t poop and use the bidet at the same time. Backspray is gross and contaminates the nozzle

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

webmeister posted:

I think at least some of it comes from the criminally low amount of holiday time most Americans get. Europeans and Australians generally have way more time off, so there isn’t quite that same impulse to try and “see” 6 countries in 8 days.

That said, I think it’s a mistake a lot of people make, particularly on their first trip abroad before they really realise what a bad idea it is.

And yes, Ljubljana is cool but the rest of Slovenia is even better. There’s way more to see than just Lake Bled!

Absolutely. If I had 4 weeks (once I get my CPA, hopefully I can negotiate that as a minimum), you bet I'd take time and explore more. Hell, we just elected a government in Ontario that's planning on rolling back the mandatory third paid week after five years that was recently implemented.

As for Slovenia, part of the plan would be into looking into day tours so I don't have to do as much of my own planning. I'll let you know more in 9-10 months when I have money saved up to travel again.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

webmeister posted:

Yeah but you can base yourself in Ljubljana and basically do day trips everywhere if you've rented a car.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Okay, quick question but I guess it requires experience with this specifically.
Traveling through Switzerland for like, 4ish days with a friend. Wish i had more time, but alas.

I crunched the numbers and getting a rental car (even with gas prices factored in high) would be cheaper than the rail pass by $100 to $150 (curse my friend and still being 25. And curse the swiss for favoring the young! :bahgawd:).
However, this does not factor in the free boat rides and discounts on cable cars and such. Is that a big enough savings (not talking about peace of mind of being on our own schedule, just in pure money) that it's worth it, or will the travel pass make up for the extra dough in free boaty and cable/coggy stuff?

E: also, taking recommendations for things to do in Munich in the mornings while recovering from Oktoberfest. Will have a couple mornings.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Oct 4, 2018

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
If you have mornings, I don't think you're Oktoberfesting correctly.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

mojo1701a posted:

Now I'm leaning towards Ljubljana, Budapest, and possibly Zagreb (I have a friend who moved from Canada to become a doctor in Croatia, and also runs in some way a small B&B in Povile, I think). At least there the cost of living should be lower, if AirBnB prices are any indication.

I'm not sure how much Zagreb can offer you that Ljubljana and Budapest can't. If you're getting that close to Adriatic, consider a seaside town instead. Venice is under 3 hours drive from Ljubljana, Rijeka is under 2. Venice is of course Venice, but Rijeka is IMO underappreciated and you can go to several islands from it.

BTW since I believe you mentioned hockey in one of earlier posts, Medvescak Zagreb have lively home games, Ljubljana (HK Olimpija) should too. Budapest also has a hockey team but I don't know how popular the sport is there.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Czech and Hungarian hockey games are wild and I seriously recommend one if you get the chance.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Are you folks talking about Ice Hockey or the in Europe popular Field Hockey?

The hockey ladies, and also the hockey gents tbf, are mostly known for getting loving drunk and doing stupid poo poo in the dressing room after practice.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 5, 2018

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Okay, quick question but I guess it requires experience with this specifically.
Traveling through Switzerland for like, 4ish days with a friend. Wish i had more time, but alas.

I crunched the numbers and getting a rental car (even with gas prices factored in high) would be cheaper than the rail pass by $100 to $150 (curse my friend and still being 25. And curse the swiss for favoring the young! :bahgawd:).
However, this does not factor in the free boat rides and discounts on cable cars and such. Is that a big enough savings (not talking about peace of mind of being on our own schedule, just in pure money) that it's worth it, or will the travel pass make up for the extra dough in free boaty and cable/coggy stuff?

E: also, taking recommendations for things to do in Munich in the mornings while recovering from Oktoberfest. Will have a couple mornings.

I've done the calculations before and the half-fare card plus buying tickets works out cheaper unless you're really going to spend all day every day on the train (prices are calculated by distance). The half-fare card will still get you the discounts on the cable cars in the Alps. But yeah, it's expensive.

ed: sorry, cheaper than the rail pass

greazeball fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 5, 2018

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Carbon dioxide posted:

Are you folks talking about Ice Hockey or the in Europe popular Field Hockey?

I don't think it's popular anywhere outside Netherlands. Even on this pic one team seems to be Dutch.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Ice hockey because what are the odds US/Canadians are going to be asking about the other sort?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Field hockey is also quite popular in Germany, but not as popular as ice hockey.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Dutch people don't accept anything on skates unless it's the nascar equivalent of ice skating and everyone goes 50 rounds around the same 400m track

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Doctor Malaver posted:

I don't think it's popular anywhere outside Netherlands. Even on this pic one team seems to be Dutch.

It was popular for a while in Australia when our nation teams were quite good, but they suck now and nobody cares about any sort of hockey

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

The hockey ladies, and also the hockey gents tbf, are mostly known for getting loving drunk and doing stupid poo poo in the dressing room after practice.
Isn't this generally true for most team sports?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

greazeball posted:

I've done the calculations before and the half-fare card plus buying tickets works out cheaper unless you're really going to spend all day every day on the train (prices are calculated by distance). The half-fare card will still get you the discounts on the cable cars in the Alps. But yeah, it's expensive.

ed: sorry, cheaper than the rail pass
I think they rolled it all into one (they call it the "Swiss Travel Pass" now).
E: Ty for the advice.

Beachcomber posted:

If you have mornings, I don't think you're Oktoberfesting correctly.
We literally hadn't eaten all day and drank our calories yesterday. I do not remember the walk home. We still had a morning!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I think they rolled it all into one (they call it the "Swiss Travel Pass" now).
E: Ty for the advice.

We literally hadn't eaten all day and drank our calories yesterday. I do not remember the walk home. We still had a morning!

https://www.sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays/travel-in-switzerland/international-guests/swiss-halffare-card.html

Still there for me?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Doctor Malaver posted:

I'm not sure how much Zagreb can offer you that Ljubljana and Budapest can't. If you're getting that close to Adriatic, consider a seaside town instead. Venice is under 3 hours drive from Ljubljana, Rijeka is under 2. Venice is of course Venice, but Rijeka is IMO underappreciated and you can go to several islands from it.

BTW since I believe you mentioned hockey in one of earlier posts, Medvescak Zagreb have lively home games, Ljubljana (HK Olimpija) should too. Budapest also has a hockey team but I don't know how popular the sport is there.

Like I said, this is just preliminary, but that's enough of an endorsement for me to skip Zagreb. Also, I don't remember if I mentioned that I have a high school friend who moved to Croatia from Canada to become a doctor, but his family's from Rijeka, and he either lives there or Povile.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
I was hoping for some more inspiration for a warmer (+10 degrees) European trip in January and was considering Lisbon.

Sorta kinda doubting between Lisbon, Athens, Sicily, the Canary Islands or other options with a <5hour flight time (Israel?)

Is Lisbon nice?
How are other options in comparison?

Good food (high-end innovative dining is our preference, we like to do unique stuff), culture and city-tripping-on-foot is a must!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
My parents are going over to Europe (Germany, Belgium, France) for just under a month next year, and are looking into cellular options. As far as I can understand, newish EU law has made many basic prepaid options very viable, if not ideal for someone travelling and needing occasional data and voice in several counties. While they aren’t going the UK, many of their carriers offer free sims that seem to have really decent prepaid options (Vodaphone, for example, offers 1£/day for unlimited calling+some data). Am I understanding roam like at home laws correctly? And if not, does anyone have some quick recommendations on cheap prepaid SIM card options?

Thank you!