Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Stravinsky posted:

I see complaining about small labels shipping speed to be like complaining the mom and pop diner didn't get your burger out as fast as mcdonalds did.

I see it like yelling at your mom because dinner is late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ras Het posted:

This doesn't make that record any less dumb or bad (I heard bits of it in a record shop a while ago), but I'd like to point out that in Finland Donald Duck comics have roughly the same omnipresent cultural significance that The Simpsons and all those loving talk shows have in the US, so it's not even an esoteric project, just an achingly lame one. Not to mention Nightwish's absurd popularity here.

Yeah, I'm a huge Donald/Scrooge comic fan, so I'm being drawn (no pun intended) to the Don Rosa artwork more than music itself.

While I try not to be a sucker for packaging alone, I think Tuomas Holopainen discovered my kryptonite on this one.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Stravinsky posted:

What you are missing is that a lot of the smaller labels are not necessarily there to be a business. Its a couple of friends who get together and release each other's or their other friends music in between their real jobs, touring, being in school or whatever. They are not there to compete with big labels or Amazon or anything so they go at their own pace. I see complaining about small labels shipping speed to be like complaining the mom and pop diner didn't get your burger out as fast as mcdonalds did.

I'm not complaining about anything, that other dude was. I'm just objecting to stay depressed saying you can't call it bad business when of course you can. But the world doesn't stop because a tiny record label takes a month to ship a record, obviously.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I bought Lloyd Cole and the Commotions - Rattlesnakes & Prefab Sprout - Steve Mcqueen for 2 euros :)

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
yeah you definitely can say that it'll just mean you have no perspective or understanding about the transaction you made which will also not cause the world to end

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

stay depressed posted:

yeah you definitely can say that it'll just mean you have no perspective or understanding about the transaction you made which will also not cause the world to end

I don't know what transaction youre talking about. I only buy records from the dump and from drunks on craigslist.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
It's always fun seeing teenagers posting on bands/labels facebooks with stuff like "Why haven't I received the thing I ordered last week!?"

I always give bands/labels/distros the benefit of the doubt when it comes to shipping. Haven't gotten screwed yet.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
I once received a 7" about four years after I ordered it.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I really wanted to order all of White Lung's past records (on Deranged Records), but my god Canadian->US shipping costs :smith:

I'm still tempted to pay it, but ugh. I like being able to support independent labels, but gently caress if I wouldn't prefer Amazon Prime in this case. At least the LPs themselves are only like $10; their new album on Domino is twice that :v:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Doctor Cave posted:

I once received a 7" about four years after I ordered it.

Was it worth the wait?

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

CPL593H posted:

Was it worth the wait?

Not really. It was supposed to be a split between Dan Boeckner (the reason I bought it) and Adam Franklin of Swervedriver, covering a song of each other. When I received it, Dan was gone.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Doctor Cave posted:

Not really. It was supposed to be a split between Dan Boeckner (the reason I bought it) and Adam Franklin of Swervedriver, covering a song of each other. When I received it, Dan was gone.

I think ordered that too. It certainly never arrived.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.

I'm in the opposite boat, to ship the new record to Canada is $15.50. gently caress you 'Murricans, White Lung is mine not yours!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

7lip posted:

I'm in the opposite boat, to ship the new record to Canada is $15.50. gently caress you 'Murricans, White Lung is mine not yours!

That one ships for $7.50 in the US too, not exactly a steal here, if it's any consolation :shobon:

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.
Finally got my copy of NLDW in the mail. I'll leave out pictures for obvious reasons.

I now own all 3 Death Grips albums on vinyl (that were pressed).

...Now what?

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.

abraham linksys posted:

That one ships for $7.50 in the US too, not exactly a steal here, if it's any consolation :shobon:

Not really! Shipping charges suck even harder when you only want one record.. Which apparently makes me spend more money to "justify" it and help I live in a tent.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

3dou posted:

...Now what?

make three bowls

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

7lip posted:

Not really! Shipping charges suck even harder when you only want one record.. Which apparently makes me spend more money to "justify" it and help I live in a tent.

Agreed! I've seriously been looking into other bands on Deranged to try to figure out if there's anything else I could throw in my cart. It seems to be about $19 shipping for one LP, and only like an extra $1 for each one, so I figure eventually the record cost:shipping cost ratio will be a bit better...

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.

Fors Yard posted:

make three bowls

You only really need one.

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

3dou posted:

Finally got my copy of NLDW in the mail. I'll leave out pictures for obvious reasons.

...Now what?

I can't imagine walking around the house with DG playing over my speakers, but kudos to you

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

3dou posted:

You only really need one.

Tacoyon (Death Yon)

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
gently caress the USPS. My Swans LP was supposedly delivered to my apartment but my girlfriend was home all day and we got zero mail. Either they dropped it off at the wrong address or stole it. Probably the same thing happened to my "Live at the Hideout" Screaming Females LP.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Tacoyon (Death Yon)

Hustle Bowls

:negative:

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

TubeStank posted:

gently caress the USPS. My Swans LP was supposedly delivered to my apartment but my girlfriend was home all day and we got zero mail. Either they dropped it off at the wrong address or stole it. Probably the same thing happened to my "Live at the Hideout" Screaming Females LP.

This is why we need Amazon Prime Air so they can drop the records on our turntables :colbert:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

My postal lady is really nice and puts my records behind a bush so they don't melt in the NC sun :)

DHL, however, can get hosed, and any label that uses them can too

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

alg posted:

My postal lady is really nice and puts my records behind a bush so they don't melt in the NC sun :)

Hah! UPS, DHL and FedEx can all eat a bowl of dicks. They always seem to gently caress up my vinyl orders. Only my postal lady drives 100 yards from my road side mailbox, up my driveway to carefully place my vinyl orders in an unlocked utility closet near my back door. Thanks USPS!!!

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

alg posted:

Here in Germany, DHL are the only people I'd ever trust with anything worth more than the postage. In about 10 years of ordering online, they have yet to gently caress up a single delivery, whereas other companies (UPS and plenty of local ones) seem to be loving poo poo up out of sheer spite.

Also, RE: Swans, I dig the new album so far, though I'd say it's not quite as good as The Seer. I guess that's not saying much - I'll have to listen to it a few more times.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

kirkjames posted:

Nashville vacation pickups:

Where all did you go/find these? Grimey's? The Groove? Fond Object? Phonoluxe? (shudder) Just curious.

Badly Jester posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMnwcbh_Gjg
What am I watching - what's with the staring?

@ 1:11 - Careful with that sleeve, you dumb bitch!

Davincie posted:

... Prefab Sprout...

I got From Langley Park to Memphis for $1 on RSD because of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V96qaaQhDkY&t=703s

In all its glory for the new-jacks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T6e3GJCjow

DammitJanet fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 20, 2014

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

DammitJanet posted:

Where all did you go/find these? Grimey's? The Groove? Fond Object?

Grimeys was all new poo poo but I got the bone sickness there and x at grimeys too. The rest at fond object, dude that works there is awesome. I love record stores that are curated and not just a pile of poo poo to pick through.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

kirkjames posted:

I love record stores that are curated and not just a pile of poo poo to pick through.

The way I see it, that means someone has already been through it all. Best case scenario, they've cherry picked the best stuff out and goldmine priced the rest.

Give me a virgin pile of untouched poo poo any day, at least I might get a bargain.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I might be a slob, but generally I'd rather sort through a selection of fair to steep priced good stuff than spend hours "digging" through complete loving garbage for a few questionable bargains. Which I know goes against the basic aesthetics of record shopping, but still.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I like second-hand record stores where the records aren't packed so tightly you can't actually flip through them. Oh wait I've never been to one.

Jonny
Dec 31, 2005

DammitJanet posted:

I got From Langley Park to Memphis for $1 on RSD because of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V96qaaQhDkY&t=703s

For literally exactly the same reason, I have this.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Jonny posted:

For literally exactly the same reason, I have this.

Awesome!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ras Het posted:

I might be a slob, but generally I'd rather sort through a selection of fair to steep priced good stuff than spend hours "digging" through complete loving garbage for a few questionable bargains. Which I know goes against the basic aesthetics of record shopping, but still.

I agree with this completely because that's basically what a good record store is. I somehow doubt that anything I want to hear is going to be buried under 900 copies of Mitch Miller's Christmas album.

Citizen Zee
Aug 25, 2004
It was music first, jerk.
So, a while back I was asking you guys about a turntable and I ended up picking up the AT-LP60 that I was recommended, which I absolutely love. Even connected to a crap travel speaker for an iphone the sound is so interesting (this is my first vinyl experience, I should add) - much more like a live band than the usual. My problem now is that I've got this beautiful turntable, but I can't find any reasonable bookshelf speakers. Best Buy only has a selection of the ones with bare wire clamp-type connections, where the LP60 only has standard audio output cables. If you guys have any words of wisdom here as far as using that type of speaker or recommendations for the easier style speakers, I'd appreciate hearing them. It's worth mentioning that I also need volume control and I'd, ideally, spend less than seventy bucks at this point.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Citizen Zee posted:

So, a while back I was asking you guys about a turntable and I ended up picking up the AT-LP60 that I was recommended, which I absolutely love. Even connected to a crap travel speaker for an iphone the sound is so interesting (this is my first vinyl experience, I should add) - much more like a live band than the usual. My problem now is that I've got this beautiful turntable, but I can't find any reasonable bookshelf speakers. Best Buy only has a selection of the ones with bare wire clamp-type connections, where the LP60 only has standard audio output cables. If you guys have any words of wisdom here as far as using that type of speaker or recommendations for the easier style speakers, I'd appreciate hearing them. It's worth mentioning that I also need volume control and I'd, ideally, spend less than seventy bucks at this point.

Check craigslist every day, somebody will list an amp or receiver with speakers as a package for less than $70 eventually. It will probably suck (but might not) but it would be better than any kind of lovely powered speakers you could find for less than 70 bucks.

A turntable is a stereo component. It's not a stereo. Even if it has a pre-amp.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Citizen Zee posted:

I'm in the same boat as you as far as the AT-LP60 goes. I've been using these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0027VT6V4?pc_redir=1400763739&robot_redir=1. Small, fairly high quality, and the bass kicks like a mule for the price. I mean, they're just a starter kit and you'll want to upgrade eventually, but they're likely the best speakers you can get for a low price.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Citizen Zee posted:

For that price point, I'd recommend a used pair of Paradigm Atoms (one of the older versions, e.g., V.2; the newer ones are very expensive). They are legendarily awesome for their size. You might need to be patient to score them for less than $70, but they do sell for less than that on eBay some of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I finally moved off my piece of poo poo first turntable with vibrating tonearm :c00lbert: and got this the other day:

It was having some speed issues but it seems to be all good now after some thorough cleaning. Sounds so much better, but I'll probably upgrade the cartridge when I've got some more money in the bank too

e: also a high priority: new furniture