Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

instrument support next year apparently!

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1733506946962268563

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Is there singing involved or is it just gamepad and instruments in the future?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

vocals are one of the tracks you can play but unclear if instrument support means karaoke

anyway better outcome than expected when they got bought, I figured harmonix would just become an invisible contributor to fortnite concerts
if these games are/were ever gonna get popular enough for new instruments to be made id have to think tapping into the fortnite audience is the best bet

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Do any of the old USB instruments work with a wingman on Xbox to convert to regular controller inputs? Do wingmen still work on Xbox? That could be a way around it. I guess or just use them on PC.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Holy poo poo

I'll never say a bad thing about Fortnite again if they revive Rock Band

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

RodShaft posted:

Do any of the old USB instruments work with a wingman on Xbox to convert to regular controller inputs? Do wingmen still work on Xbox? That could be a way around it. I guess or just use them on PC.

The roll limitless guy is working on firmware as we speak to get it going on Playstation and Xbox

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

theres a jam mode that lets you gently caress around with loops like fuser

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

It is pretty fun. I can't find an ideal layout for the controller that makes it makes sense to my rock band brain though.

It will probably be pretty great when you can use instruments.

Although, I mostly did Karaoke in Rock Band and it doesn't seem like this will ever have that.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

King Burgundy posted:

It is pretty fun. I can't find an ideal layout for the controller that makes it makes sense to my rock band brain though.

It will probably be pretty great when you can use instruments.

Although, I mostly did Karaoke in Rock Band and it doesn't seem like this will ever have that.

There's hope.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I heard a rumor a while back that HMX was working on controller support for RB4 similar to how you could use a dualshock to play Guitar Hero 3 back in the day, except that you could do it for guitar, bass, AND drums. looks like this is what they've done with that idea instead of adding it to rock band. instrument support will be pretty cool if they get around to adding it

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I see we're back to no straps.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
guarantee whatever work that needs to be done to move the thousands of charts they already have over to this is trivial

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Just start producing the loving adapter again please

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

John Romero posted:

guarantee whatever work that needs to be done to move the thousands of charts they already have over to this is trivial

Yeah, the real work would be licensing everything all over again for a new platform. I assume that's a loving nightmare.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
https://x.com/pdpgaming/status/1734688618978181164?s=46&t=6w3l4wp4wE4DGNgfx8BZWw

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Maybe Epic is good, actually

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hard to believe this is working out as well as it seems to be. some of the like meta-systems on top of the rock banding could afford to improve so youre not matched up with three random 14 year olds who quit before the first song loads or insist on switching to whatever instrument youre playing every time but

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
If Fortnite Festival does not have any Avenged Sevenfold in it it will immediately be a major improvement over every Rock Band game

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Pirate Jet posted:

If Fortnite Festival does not have any Avenged Sevenfold in it it will immediately be a major improvement over every Rock Band game

But even if it does, I’m afraid I must ask:

WILL YOU BE THEEEEEEEEEEEERRR-uh?!?

(Seriously though, they’ve got some Rock Band bangers and I’m afraid I must disagree with your take) :)

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
New Rock Band game but it’s a mode in Fortnite is the single most monkey’s paw thing that’s ever happened to me.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Stan Taylor posted:

New Rock Band game but it’s a mode in Fortnite is the single most monkey’s paw thing that’s ever happened to me.

lol, same

I'll go back to playing Lego rock band on my ps3 now

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I installed Lego Rock Band for my kids who are too unco to be able to use a kick pedal and I forgot how backward it is compared to RB3.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Stan Taylor posted:

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I tested a couple of drums in fortnite festival I had laying around on various consoles I had laying around.

The Taiko no Tatsujin drums on switch work because the drum pads just give regular inputs. There is a few issues.

You have to go into settings and change the lane inputs to the shoulder buttons and thumbsticks buttons because those are the drum pad inputs. There is no good way to activate activate overdrive.

It doesn't have thumb sticks, and you can't use two controllers at once in fortnite on the switch, so in the choose a song hub, you need to hit the menu button, switch controllers, move to the accordion, then you can switch to the drum. It has all other relevant buttons. You can avoid this by playing with friends and just not choosing a song: having them choose all of them.

I just played it in tabletop mode because the connected joycons work as player one as well as the connected drum. Kinda wonky but works

USB Wii rockband drums work with Xbox Fortnite Festival using a Brooke Wingman XB.

The Wii drumpads are translated to ABXY so you just have to change the lane settings in fortnite. The kick pedal is LB But I just used it for overdrive.

Also you can use multiple controllers at once unlike the Switch. So you can just have the drums plugged in and use them for drumming and the controller for everything else.

Cross posted in the Fortnite thread.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

John Romero posted:

Apparently people have already shoved the charts from Fortnite into Clone Hero and they not only work perfectly, the drum charts have Pro support despite that not even being a thing in Festival.

So…yeah, pretty trivial.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

https://twitter.com/fccinsights/status/1735330077188018310

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
What the hell is going on? Rock Band Is Back?!? In Fortnite? But how do I play it? Do I have to download Fortnite and then it is some mode hidden away? That trailer does a horrible job at telling me, the dumb guy that still spends money on songs for the plastic instruments I own, how to spend more money on songs to play with plastic instruments

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Yeah just download Fortnite, it's a mode on the big mode menu

Plastic instrument support is coming, but it's not in yet

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
The songs are also more expensive and it's nowhere near as fun as actual Rock band, but it actually succeeded and got me to download and try fortnite. I never felt older than when I tried to navigate that game the first time. Right now I'm checking in daily to see what free songs are in rotation and hoping that it allows harmonix to keep actual rb alive and get some good songs now and then... Like today! Baker Street, hell yeah

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Yeah the songs are like $4.25 a pop if you get the cheapest Vbucks bundle or like $3.30 if you do $90 VBUCKS BEST VALUE bundles, which is kinda nuts

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Internals.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Kaboobi posted:

Yeah the songs are like $4.25 a pop if you get the cheapest Vbucks bundle or like $3.30 if you do $90 VBUCKS BEST VALUE bundles, which is kinda nuts

Well Fortnite itself is free, is there a base playlist of songs? Or do you have to pay money to play any song at all?

Very tempted to check this out, I had no idea you could use actual instruments, and that it's a separate game mode and not just a one-off during some event. :allears:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

theres a selection of free songs you can play that changes every day. if you want to play a song thats not among them you have to buy it. i think its like the guitar hero world tour model

real instrument support hasnt been added yet but i think early next year?

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

It's similar to ghlive but not really. Iirc you could earn in game currency to "rent" dlc songs. ghlive also had a bunch of permanent songs with the fmv gimmick and fortnite rock band doesn't have the revolutionary game mode ghtv. I loved ghtv and it seems like it would perfectly fit in fortnite

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I mean honestly this is the better version of GHL where now you can pay to “own” the song but there’s a handful of rotating tracks each day to play for free, which I far prefer to the GHL model of an arcade machine you constantly need to feed tokens into to play any song that’s not in the rotation.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I've cobbled together a Wii Rock Band drum set using a $25 toy from Amazon, a $6 Arduino, a week of R&D, and probably 6000 lines of C++ that got thrown out.

I'm still putting the finishing touches on the software, but it's totes playable now. My fam's enjoying LEGO Rock Band again, and I'm almost positive all 7 pads are going to work on Clone Hero. The same software works as a guitar controller, but everybody knows how to make homebuilt guitars already.

If you goons are interested, I'll post a link to the source code and build instructions when it's ready for release (like, it doesn't kill your streaks because it registered two hits in 5 milliseconds).

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Holy poo poo, genius. :allears: Well done man!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

cruft posted:

The same software works as a guitar controller, but everybody knows how to make homebuilt guitars already.

haha, okay, yes, we sure do. and how did we do that again

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Deathlove posted:

haha, okay, yes, we sure do. and how did we do that again

Your best bet, IMO, if you have a 3D printer, is to start with https://www.printables.com/model/479046-minicaster-mini-clone-heromidi-controller. This will guide you through setting up the Santroller or Ardwiino or whatever it's called. I couldn't make sense of the source code, and was weirded out by the need for a precompiled desktop setup tool, so I went looking for a simpler solution and found it.

If you don't have a 3D printer, you can pay some person on Etsy to make all the parts for you and send you a kit that you put together. It's about $80 for a guitar. Mine is about $30, and if you happen to have some spare keyboard switches, it's more like $10.

My controller works on guitars and drums, which was one reason I wanted to understand the HID protocol involved. I just got 100% on "Summer of 69" in hard mode on bass, which is pretty much the only song I can play well. But it demonstrates that the controller's bugs are fixed. I can also get pretty high on "Walking on Sunshine" on drums, using that $25 toy.

It still needs some work: I haven't verified it actually does all the cymbals, second kick pedal, or high hat pedal, correctly on the Wii: I don't have a copy of Rock Band 3 yet. That's coming, and I'm tracking known issues on that git repository. But the winter break goal was to get LEGO Rock Band working (the best Rock Band: you can get an octopus drummer), and I've hit that goal, so I'll stop working on it for now.

I'd be happy to walk people through building their own stuff. You need some soldering skills, a 3D printer if you want the guitar, the toy if you want the drums, some familiarity with Arduino, and a whole lot of time and patience. But the result is pretty cool, I think. And it works on the Wii, presumably on other old systems like the PS/2 and XBox, and I've verified it works great on Clone Hero.

The best part it, it's small. That friggin' drum kit took up half the living room, which is why we got rid of it. Now I can roll the drum mat up, and tuck it in a shelf with the two guitars and USB hub. Easy peasy.

e: here, I took a photo

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hey, video game nerds, I need some help with this controller.

I need someone who has the Wii drums with cymbals to plug into a computer, load up https://greggman.github.io/html5-gamepad-test/, hit the cymbals (you might be able to squeeze them to keep the buttons indicating), and tell me what buttons are showing as being pressed.

Anybody have this kit? :ohdear:

e: I figured it out the old fashioned way: twiddling bits to see what happens. If you send USB PID x0005, RB3 doesn't recognize the cymbal button. If you send PID 0x3110, it does.

cruft fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 4, 2024