Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

However we can expect false flag attacks against American Jews by Israeli intelligence services to ensure a supportive base.

Uh, this isn't happening, my dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Miftan posted:

Uh, this isn't happening, my dude.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavon_Affair

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

So not the Israeli state targeting foreign jews with attacks? Cool. The state of Israel bombing and spying on allies isn't new but I don't know of any examples of them targeting jewish people.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Ah yes, and the Bay of Pigs was not a state-sanctioned operation either, because Congress didn't sign off on it.

Honestly, dude.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tweezer Reprise posted:

For Palestinians at the moment, the only viable choices are Hamas or annihilation. In the US, the only viable choices have never been Trump or annihilation.

In what way is it the “only viable choice”? It’s not even the only major Palestinian political party or even the only militant group!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

In what way is it the “only viable choice”? It’s not even the only major Palestinian political party or even the only militant group!

It appears to be the only one actively engaged in fighting when missiles are shot at Palestine.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'm curious, what other avenues would you recommend to the Palestinian people?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Name the other ones then.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

This sort of seems like a clear win for Hamas/loss for Israel, do we agree? Seems the ethnic conflict among Israeli citizens proper and the degree of global hostility caught them off guard. Israel may have picked all the low hanging fruit as it were in its occupation, proceeding further is going to have greatly increasing costs

Declaring these skirmishes to be clear zero-sum win/loss stuff is a bit much, I think. I would say that Netanyahu and Hamas both "won", in that they each achieved the small objectives they could reasonably hope to be able to accomplish, but only at significant cost. I would also say that pro-peace entities on both sides "lost", in that a major objective of those "winning" groups was to discredit those pro-peace groups. And of course the civilian populations lost, especially on the Palestinian side. The Palestinian civilian population is pretty much in a no-win situation.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Isn't Hamas being the only viable resistance not dissimilar to Iran.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ham posted:

Has hamas made Gaza a better or worse place to live for Palestinians?

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There would be 0 deviation in Israeli policy towards Palestinians if Hamas unilaterally and unconditionally disarmed and disbanded.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Ask the Palestinians celebrating in their thousands all across Palestine when the ceasefire was declared; ask the palestinians protesting all across Israeli-Arab towns in solidarity with Gaza, and ask the hundreds of thousands of people protesting the Israeli occupation and oppression.

Again, what are the better options you would recommend to the Palestinian people?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

funnily enough living under the existential threat of genocide at any moment as your borders slowly shrink over the decades tends to have a weird effect on the key policies and focuses of your political parties!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Franks Happy Place posted:

Ah yes, and the Bay of Pigs was not a state-sanctioned operation either, because Congress didn't sign off on it.

Honestly, dude.

If you think that the Israeli state is attacking/funding foreign Jews worldwide you're going to have to show me SOMETHING as opposed to going "I know it definitely happens and this lack of proof or historical precedence isn't going to change my mind".

This doesn't even happen inside Israel to the best of my knowledge so assuming it happens globally is a stretch, especially because usually people don't need convincing to attack Jews. Plenty of nazis out there.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, as much as i hate reactionary religious extremists, i'd say better? 80% of the notional negative impact of hamas is israeli aggression.

Quite a lot of hamas leadership are fuckers. But they're fuckers who successfully provide services when those services don't explode; keep other militant groups largely inline when there's a ceasefire, up until israel inevitably breaks it; and manage to keep up a less bootlicky public image than fatah. Fatah, who were not particularly more effective at controlling militants and were definitely less effective at providing services.

Gaza doesn't actually have any better options, and building a better option would first require Israel to not blockade and/or explode Gaza for shits and giggles.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

thats a good point about enforcing the ceasefires. cant really imagine fatah be able to in their place

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ham posted:

Again, what are the better options you would recommend to the Palestinian people?

Hamas has only been in power for a decade and isn't even ruling over the majority of the palestinian population! There is no reason to paint them as some sort of "the only way" or some inevitable necessity. They are not a synonym for palestine. Both Israel and Hamas are negative groups in palestine.

If the US got invaded and the KKK used that to seize the south, you don't have to suddenly stan the KKK. You don't have to hand it to em. They aren't now the good guys. Israel was a negative force for gaza in 2005 just as much as now, but having both israel and hamas both be negative forces doesn't make that better, all the palestinian citizens hamas execute aren't sticking it to israel in any way.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/halaljew/status/1396158903713423362?s=20

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I don't think Hamas controls the conditions in Gaza my man, I'm pretty sure the occupying military power dictates that

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Hamas has only been in power for a decade and isn't even ruling over the majority of the palestinian population! There is no reason to paint them as some sort of "the only way" or some inevitable necessity. They are not a synonym for palestine. Both Israel and Hamas are negative groups in palestine.

If the US got invaded and the KKK used that to seize the south, you don't have to suddenly stan the KKK. You don't have to hand it to em. They aren't now the good guys. Israel was a negative force for gaza in 2005 just as much as now, but having both israel and hamas both be negative forces doesn't make that better, all the palestinian citizens hamas execute aren't sticking it to israel in any way.

You keep dodging the question:

Ham posted:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
https://twitter.com/vv1lder/status/1396142932583874563?s=20

2 hours in and Wilder's statement has 75,000 likes, being retweeted by Julian Castro and Keith Olbermann of all people.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

What other option is there? It's impossible to tell how shite Hamas would be when they are not even given the option of a democratic mandate, and the population lives under threat of death every day.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Josef bugman posted:

What other option is there? It's impossible to tell how shite Hamas would be when they are not even given the option of a democratic mandate, and the population lives under threat of death every day.

Are you referring to the palestine-wide elections which Fatah has (continued to) delayed? Because Hamas routinely wins Gaza elections and has a very plausible electoral mandate there, it's just the Palestine Legislative Council elections that have been delayed for eleven years and counting :v:

Also re your earlier "afaik Hamas is the only group fighting back against israel": no they're not, there are a bunch of smaller militant groups, because of course there are. Hamas is just the biggest, and as I mentioned earlier, the one that makes the others turn in their piss rockets to the principal's office if they get antsy before Israel breaks a ceasefire.

I am a bit curious about the current state of Palestinian labor organization. Obviously there was enough cobbled together for the construction strike but I'm completely unclear on anything beyond that.

edit: actually it looks like there have been fewer gaza elections than i thought, hamas' response in 2012 and especially 2016 was "lol go gently caress yourselves, PLA, you'll rig the stupid election"

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 22, 2021

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The issue here is this attempt to divorce things of their context, taking the face value of "No government should persecute minorities" or "No government should shoot rockets at civilian population centers" and looking at it as some independent point of debate to justify foreign policy goals - it's the same vacuous moralization American imperialists use to justify horrifically deadly foreign invasions and interventions such as Iraq.

Most Palestinians in their occupied homeland live under a collaborationist unelected semi-government, another relic of their occupation. They do not have the luxury of caring about your moralizations of "But is Hamas really good?"

Palestinian armed resistance is a necessity borne of 73 years of occupation, repression, expulsion, ethnic cleansing and apartheid - it is the only thing left to them when any semblance of peaceful protest, any semblance of international law, and any semblance of justice is denied them.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fister Roboto posted:

You keep dodging the question:

I'm not dodging it. The answer is "any of the many other political groups that does operate or has operated in palestine" Hamas is not some inseparable thing inherent to palestine. It's a recent, regional takeover. It's not some "the only way" for palestine.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Are you referring to the palestine-wide elections which Fatah has (continued to) delayed? Because Hamas routinely wins Gaza elections and has a very plausible electoral mandate there, it's just the Palestine Legislative Council elections that have been delayed for eleven years and counting :v:

Also re your earlier "afaik Hamas is the only group fighting back against israel": no they're not, there are a bunch of smaller militant groups, because of course there are. Hamas is just the biggest, and as I mentioned earlier, the one that makes the others turn in their piss rockets to the principal's office if they get antsy before Israel breaks a ceasefire.

I am a bit curious about the current state of Palestinian labor organization. Obviously there was enough cobbled together for the construction strike but I'm completely unclear on anything beyond that.

edit: actually it looks like there have been fewer gaza elections than i thought

I was yes, sorry about that. I understand there are smaller groups, but the larger "umbrella" organisation that Hamas is seems to be working on keeping them in line.

I do wish there was a proper left wing alternative mark you.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'm not dodging it. The answer is "any of the many other political groups that does operate or has operated in palestine" Hamas is not some inseparable thing inherent to palestine. It's a recent, regional takeover. It's not some "the only way" for palestine.

What groups are those?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

also hamas controls only gaza, the west bank is more or less Fatah And Friends (although Hamas claims, with some plausibility, that they'd make inroads in the west bank with fair elections)

i'm unironically hoping palestine-wide elections happen and are fair, even if it leads to hamas wins

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 22, 2021

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Release Sadat imo, maybe he can off Abbas and the Palestinian left won't just sit on their rear end as their people and country are wiped off the map.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

How is the other political group working out for the palestinians in Jerusalem and the West Bank? Or the refugees waiting on their right of return?

The issue is not Hamas or Fatah or any Palestinian political group, the issue is Israel.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That's not an answer. How, specifically, are those better options? What has, say, Fatah accomplished to improve the material conditions of the people of Gaza? How would they be better off if Hamas were dissolved and they took over?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ham posted:

How is the other political group working out for the palestinians in Jerusalem and the West Bank? Or the refugees waiting on their right of return?

The issue is not Hamas or Fatah or any Palestinian political group, the issue is Israel.

Only Jews can vote in Israel. Yet there are about 4 million Palestinians living in the eest bank colony and Israel proper.

Those people cannot vote. And if there was a true census in Israel Palestinians would be outpacing Israelis in terms of population size as both population are about 6.8 million people each

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
Arabs can vote in Israel if they're citizens. (not nationals, that's a status reserved for Jewish people) I don't think it matters in the same sense it doesn't matter to the underlying structures in the US, but isn't there even an Arab person on the Israel Supreme Court?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Would exodus to more 'prosperous' muslim countries like Malaysia be an option? It's that or a slow death at this point. :shrug:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Grouchio posted:

Would exodus to more 'prosperous' muslim countries like Malaysia be an option? It's that or a slow death at this point. :shrug:

that would just be Israel succeeding at ethnically cleansing the holy land

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Grouchio posted:

imo people doing an exodus to a place and displacing the locals is the source of the whole problem, so no

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Tweezer Reprise posted:

I don't think it matters in the same sense it doesn't matter to the underlying structures in the US, but isn't there even an Arab person on the Israel Supreme Court?

George Karra.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Israel's been trying to get nearby muslim countries to take the Palestinians since their founding and much of their propaganda over the decades has been focused on how mean they are for not taking in these poor, suffering people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

Miftan posted:

So not the Israeli state targeting foreign jews with attacks? Cool. The state of Israel bombing and spying on allies isn't new but I don't know of any examples of them targeting jewish people.
It's certainly a more 'open' question than the Bad Business, but the Baghdad bombings of '50-51 are worth taking a look at, if you're not already familiar.