Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

exploded mummy posted:

Sounds like Shadow of War would be good for those people

I dunno man, a pretty lady is a lot scarier in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Scudworth posted:

LLJKSiLk came back to e/n earlier this year to let us know he's turned a new leaf and had officially stopped loving 18 year olds as of a few months prior.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816178

I am somewhat entertained that the broken mistreated kid is turning into a success and the golden child is turning into a small poo poo like the father. But it's sad this guy still exists.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nuebot posted:

I am somewhat entertained that the broken mistreated kid is turning into a success and the golden child is turning into a small poo poo like the father. But it's sad this guy still exists.

This is seemingly what always happens. The golden child becomes a useless spoilt brat who refuses to work for anything while the neglected child strikes out on their own ASAP.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Aesop Poprock posted:

Does E/N exist as a forum solely for making fun of terrible people because it doesn't really seem to serve any other purpose.
Sometimes it's a lite beer version of helldump where they dump on themselves.

Or a nice feel good story where a goon gets out of a well.

The average age of posters now are likely in their 30s so far, far less post-teen / college angst than before.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Scudworth posted:

LLJKSiLk came back to e/n earlier this year to let us know he's turned a new leaf and had officially stopped loving 18 year olds as of a few months prior.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816178

I will always cherish the moment in the original thread where I called him out to go to therapy and got empty-quoted for a page and a half :allears:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

RagnarokAngel posted:

Far as I understand it Lowtax can't afford to actually pay people to write for the site, so once they gain enough name recognition they feel they can strike out on their own, they will.

The biggest loss in this umbrella imo is that we don't get anymore Monstergeddon posts. Right when the story was getting juicy too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Choco1980 posted:

The biggest loss in this umbrella imo is that we don't get anymore Monstergeddon posts. Right when the story was getting juicy too.

I wondered what happened to those I assume thats why Bear Cave memos went away too?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Hey if you have the urge to call someone "he/she/it" just swap it out for "they" or "them" and then punch yourself in the face repeatedly, thanks.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Did you just tell me what my own pronouns are, motherfucker

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Did you just tell me what my own pronouns are, motherfucker

thank you for using my proper pronoun

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

sneakyfrog posted:

thank you for using my proper pronoun

Glad to oblige, m'rfucker :tipshat:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Glad to oblige, m'rfucker :tipshat:

blessings upon your house friend

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Spanish Manlove posted:

I dunno man, a pretty lady is a lot scarier in my opinion.

she shows up as the spider all the time as well

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

WoodrowSkillson posted:

she shows up as the spider all the time as well

It's still dumb as hell

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's still dumb as hell

its dope and im the biggest tolkien idiot ever

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also she's Sauron's ex

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's still dumb as hell

She needs to put on a ring and look man I can't think of any other way to do that!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

WoodrowSkillson posted:

its dope and im the biggest tolkien idiot ever

Giant spider women are better than generic sexy goth women

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I thought it was more of an issue because the character is basically a feral animal and probably neither needs nor wants a human form to comfort anyone with?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I Said No posted:

I thought it was more of an issue because the character is basically a feral animal and probably neither needs nor wants a human form to comfort anyone with?

The game gives a decent reason for it. I literally just made a post on it in the game's thread.

The game posits Sauron, recognizing her power (which is mentioned in Tolkien, he derides her and calls her his "cat" cause he tosses her orcs that displease him), strikes up a formal alliance/relationship in the style of Morgoth and Ungoliante. He then betrays her when the Numenoreans come in the second age to save his own skin, same way Morgoth betrays Ungoliante and renegs on his deal.

She got out of her comfort zone and got burned hard for it, and is willing to gently caress him over again in revenge, along with the fact she likes things as they were. She would also use the human form around Talion to help him trust her.

This even fits with LOTR, since she would 100% go for the One Ring if it came into her lair, and would not expect a hobbit to have an elven sword. So she goes "oh gently caress this poo poo" and leaves to lick her wounds, again.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

There's no indication that she's anything other than a giant cave spider that happens to also be demi-god in the books.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Who gives a poo poo about the books?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ghostlight posted:

There's no indication that she's anything other than a giant cave spider that happens to also be demi-god in the books.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

right, and the game thus creates that. its a completely new story that ties into the others. its cool and good and fleshes out a character and does not harm the overall narrative in the process.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

WoodrowSkillson posted:

right, and the game thus creates that. its a completely new story that ties into the others. its cool and good and fleshes out a character and does not harm the overall narrative in the process.

Tbd the entire narrative was shot from the original game, what with the Black Gate being captured 1000 years after it was in the books.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I think it's dumb that in the game, she's also an elf (?) and that she's mad because Sauron broke up with her, but it doesn't ruin the game for me. I would just prefer if she was just a giant spider-god loving poo poo up because she's a spider.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

exploded mummy posted:

Tbd the entire narrative was shot from the original game, what with the Black Gate being captured 1000 years after it was in the books.

Yeah but they also could have just not set it on the black gate and everything else could have been the same, that was kinda dumb but eh, it gets the point across that "Gondor was straight up in Mordor till recently" for people who only know the movies.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

A Spider Covets posted:

I think it's dumb that in the game, she's also an elf (?) and that she's mad because Sauron broke up with her, but it doesn't ruin the game for me. I would just prefer if she was just a giant spider-god loving poo poo up because she's a spider.
Good username/post combo

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

SubponticatePoster posted:

Good username/post combo

:yeah:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

A Spider Covets posted:

Well, she is a spider and is not, the game is playing with the fact the giant spiders in Tolkien are sentient cause they are descended from Ungoliante, who was a godlike being who was not a literal spider. Normally they show her in spider form initially and then she switches to talk with Talion, so its not like they are ignoring it, i think it helps get across she is just not a mindless beast.

Also the way they show her after Sauron betrays her looking half spider half human is cool as gently caress

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

A Spider Covets posted:

She's as much an elf as Sauron is, in that those are the forms they chose to look like.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah but they also could have just not set it on the black gate and everything else could have been the same, that was kinda dumb but eh, it gets the point across that "Gondor was straight up in Mordor till recently" for people who only know the movies.

Recently? In the books Gondor hasn't been in Mordor for a thousand years!

The closest they got in the thousand years was recapturing part of Osgilath, but that was always in Gondor and used to be the capital.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

SubponticatePoster posted:

Good username/post combo

gah!!

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Please stop besmirching my waifu.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

exploded mummy posted:

Recently? In the books Gondor hasn't been in Mordor for a thousand years!

The closest they got in the thousand years was recapturing part of Osgilath, but that was always in Gondor and used to be the capital.

yeah i had kinda forgotten about that poo poo, so really if we were trying to make a perfect addition to the stories you would have to fix poo poo like that, but lets not forget the best part of the game is playing orc pokeymons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRwoVFuiWT0

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yeah i had kinda forgotten about that poo poo, so really if we were trying to make a perfect addition to the stories you would have to fix poo poo like that, but lets not forget the best part of the game is playing orc pokeymons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRwoVFuiWT0

Yeah. The Porcemon is the best part.

Tbh it never gets in the way, unless you're enough of a sperg to realize that at one point you find Earnur's crown in Minas Ithil, which is technically where he would have died a thousand years before the start of the game....if the city had fallen like it was supposed to.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Thanks for reminding me wtf d&d existed, reading that on their site now :cheers:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

exploded mummy posted:

Yeah. The Porcemon is the best part.

Tbh it never gets in the way, unless you're enough of a sperg to realize that at one point you find Earnur's crown in Minas Ithil, which is technically where he would have died a thousand years before the start of the game....if the city had fallen like it was supposed to.

The collection quests are cool though, since its a neat way to just add life to the setting, and like, are we actually going to wonder why they are voiced by Idril?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
The Rings trilogy; truly the greatest of SA sagas.