Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jon Gries (who played the nerdy sidekick on The Pretender) is absolutely amazing on Dream Corp LLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I love The Expanse, but it's pretty lacking in the character development area.

I am literally the target audience, because getting to see a ship do a flip and burn on screen was a huge gently caress yeah moment for me.

Like if you read a lot of scifi, the type of things they show in the expanse are pretty common, but you almost never see any of them in scifi movies or television. The Expanse feeling like print scifi is what makes me like it so much.

In general, I love shows that remind me of print fiction, and there are several. Longmire does it, the Hulu original Chance does it.

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 6, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Profiler was great until Ali Walker left and Dollar-Store Tiffany took over as the lead.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Speaking of dollar store, Colin Trevorrow was fired from directing Star Wars 9.

http://www.avclub.com/colin-trevorrow-will-no-longer-direct-star-wars-episod-1800660381

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mu Zeta posted:

Speaking of dollar store, Colin Trevorrow was fired from directing Star Wars 9.

http://www.avclub.com/colin-trevorrow-will-no-longer-direct-star-wars-episod-1800660381

https://twitter.com/deggowaffles/status/905193960557076480

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Recently discovered a forensic procedural from the 1990s called The Profiler, which starred Ally Walker (who I'll always know as the female lead from the first Universal Soldier movie). I haven't seen any episodes of it but it sounds interesting because descriptions indicate that, like the first season of Millennium, of which it was a contemporary, it was a sort of precursor to the like of Criminal Minds, and it was set apart from other 90s police procedurals in that it had an ongoing plot that supplemented its episodic stories.

Any thoughts?

I remember that show, but I don't remember much about it. My family watched Pretender, which came on before it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Iron Crowned posted:

The Pretender was good, I remember after it was cancelled TNT was supposed to make like 3 movies to tie up the ends, and only made one.

And blew everybody up in it.

The twisting "multiple bad guys some of whom are kinda good guys or at least remorseful and everybody's keeping secrets from each other" plot was fun but they kept adding two new twists every time they got close to tying one off and it just became too bloated.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 6, 2017

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Teaser for the new American Crime story. https://streamable.com/sm7x3

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Couldn't be less interested in Versace. Honestly rather see Katrina even though they would probably gently caress it up.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

As an gay I am quite excited for Versace. Assuming Ryan Murphy got someone else to write it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
as an not gay, what does Versace bring out in an gays?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Well, he was an gay. And a fashion designer who hung out with Madonna and Princess Diana and poo poo.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

The best thing about The Pretender is some of the episode summaries of the earlier episodes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Pretender_episodes

Jarod pretends to be a test pilot to avenge another's "accidental" death. Jarod discovers Silly Putty.

Jarod is a member of a bomb squad trying to catch a serial bomber. Jarod discovers Mr. Potato-Head.

Jarod becomes a U.S. Marshal to help a witness in an illegal drug trade case. The Centre's other Pretender, Kyle, is introduced. Jarod discovers Spam.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

Well, he was an gay. And a fashion designer who hung out with Madonna and Princess Diana and poo poo.

I thought it was a woman who got her face swapped with an alien.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Recently discovered a forensic procedural from the 1990s called The Profiler, which starred Ally Walker (who I'll always know as the female lead from the first Universal Soldier movie). I haven't seen any episodes of it but it sounds interesting because descriptions indicate that, like the first season of Millennium, of which it was a contemporary, it was a sort of precursor to the like of Criminal Minds, and it was set apart from other 90s police procedurals in that it had an ongoing plot that supplemented its episodic stories.

Any thoughts?

It's pretty good. Probably most notable these days for the fact The Mentalist completely stole the recurring plot from them, like 100% point by point. Like Rhyno said, it took a dive after Walker left.

BTW, don't visit the IMDB page if you don't want to know who Jack Of All Trades is...

The Pretender is so strange in that they tried to do two completely different shows at the same time. In one of them you have Jarod travelling the country solving peoples problems like an 80's feel good show. In the other you had Ms. Parker, Broots and Sydney doing an at times pretty drat dark conspiracy thriller.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Norwegian Rudo posted:

BTW, don't visit the IMDB page if you don't want to know who Jack Of All Trades is...

Well, Bruce Campbell was on that show, and I actually preferred it over Cleopatra 2525.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Jack of All Trades is great. It's just the comedic episodes of Hercules the Legendary Journeys but as an entire show.

Snak posted:

I love The Expanse, but it's pretty lacking in the character development area.

That's an understatement. I'd say it's lacking in the character area, full stop. It's not just that they're underdeveloped, it's that they're just not interesting or compelling in any way at a base level. Which is a shame, since outside of the characters the show is cool as hell. But it's really tough to watch as-is, and if they'd nailed the characters it would be the new BSG.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

feedmyleg posted:

Jack of All Trades is great. It's just the comedic episodes of Hercules the Legendary Journeys but as an entire show.

I just went to an event with Bruce Campbell and was reminded Jack of all Trades existed. Got home and promptly ordered it on Amazon.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

feedmyleg posted:

That's an understatement. I'd say it's lacking in the character area, full stop. It's not just that they're underdeveloped, it's that they're just not interesting or compelling in any way at a base level. Which is a shame, since outside of the characters the show is cool as hell. But it's really tough to watch as-is, and if they'd nailed the characters it would be the new BSG.

This is the exact reason why I couldn't get into The Expanse. I've tried twice, watching 4 episodes to give it a chance but I just cannot get on with any of the characters. It's a shame because I love sci-fi but I bounced off this completely.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. Its a well developed world and I get why hardcore sci-fi fans would be drawn in by that, but not being one I just couldn't get into Expanse because of the weak characters.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Diplomat Avasarala is easily the best character in the first season. The second season introduces another character that is great.

Definitely a plot-driven show. if they keep introducing one decent character per season, it may be a good show by season 5 or 6...

Amos is a great comedy relief character.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah I can't disagree with this, character motivations were just all over the place right out the gate and they're paper thin at best. The Expanse is, to me, way more about how interesting the world building is. That's not for everyone.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AV Club has it's fall preview up.

I say the Good Doctor is the first cancelled show of the new season.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

Yes, he mentioned Madonna?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

AV Club has it's fall preview up.

I say the Good Doctor is the first cancelled show of the new season.

Huh, there's more decent-looking shows coming out this fall than I thought (Young Sheldon and Inhumans notwithstanding). Orville appears to be the safest bet, but after Million Ways to Die in the West I'm just not sure I trust live action McFarlane.

Runaways nailed the casting, at least from a visual standpoint, but we'll see how it translates to a series.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Obviously people are skeptical about a McFarlane project but the man has a real and abiding love for Star Trek so I'm expecting a loving rather than a cynical parody. Like that review said, aside for a subplot involving Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, one episode wouldn't feel out of place in a middle season of TNG. The dude gets what he's parodying down to the ground, and those tend to be better.

Now, enjoy how entertainment news was shot in 1999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gkdeo42ydo

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is Rudolph not canon in the Star Trek universe?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

On the other hand:

quote:

There is an attempt to do something unusual with one species: An officer aboard the Orville named Bortus (Peter Macon) is from a planet populated exclusively by males, as is his mate, Klyden (Chad L. Coleman). The third installment, which is devoted entirely to their efforts to expand their family, is one of the most spectacular and unfortunate storytelling fails of the year.

An air of self-congratulation hangs over the entire hour, as if MacFarlane, who wrote it, couldn’t get over his awe at his own bravery in engaging with a difficult, complex topic. Without giving anything away, suffice it to say that the show takes a big creative swing tackling issues of gender and identity, but it does not connect, and the end result is disastrous. If it’s challenging for “The Orville” to wring laughs from the audience, it’s all but impossible for it to earn the dramatic (and tone-deaf) conclusion it attempts in the third episode.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rocksicles posted:

You're thinking of his sister. He was murdered in the '90s by a serial killer, who in turn committed suicide on... a house boat or something? I don't know why that detail sticks out in my mind.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Well to be fair it's not like Star Trek has a great history with this sort of thing.

Of course the description of the Orville episode is more or less what I'd expect from Seth, so

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, Orville is getting shredded in reviews.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I would much prefer a cynical parody of Star Trek than a loving one.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd watch a series about the degenerates of a utopian society. Just follow the lazy, greedy, and criminal element as protagonists and show how they're dealt with inside a Federation equivalent where everyone is expected to just fit into utopian ideals.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

EL BROMANCE posted:

I would much prefer a cynical parody of Star Trek than a loving one.

We already got Enterprise.

feedmyleg posted:

I'd watch a series about the degenerates of a utopian society. Just follow the lazy, greedy, and criminal element as protagonists and show how they're dealt with inside a Federation equivalent where everyone is expected to just fit into utopian ideals.

The Ferengi-centric episodes of DS9 do a pretty good job of this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

This week on Space Luxury Communism Welfare Queens: The Next Generation...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

lelandjs posted:

The Ferengi-centric episodes of DS9 do a pretty good job of this.

Some of the ones with Eddington; you know, the "You're so enlightened that you'll tolerate any values, except those which reject your enlightenment" stuff.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm pretty forgiving of MacFarlane projects; I still catch Family Guy occasionally, and actually enjoyed Ted 1 and 2. The main issue I'm probably going to have with The Orville is that when his smug-rear end voice comes out of his smug-rear end face I feel an immediate instinctive response to punch him.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Does anyone know if Patriot is coming out on Bluray? I find it difficult to find information about it, that Mel Gibson movie keeps popping up.

Also, I see that Nathan For You is only on DVD, North American region. Do Bluray players care about DVD regions or can I play it on a European one?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've never seen an Amazon original sold on Blu-ray. So I wouldn't expect Patriot to be available on anything other than prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Finished the first season of Better Call Saul last night. So good. In had no idea going in that Mike would be a main character in the show. I thought he was just gonna have a few cameos. He was one of my favorite side characters in BB, so I'm really loving his inclusion in BCS.

• Locked thread