Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Fall Part 2 coming to Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzPnKOuE3F0

Cave Story+ as well, but I can't really justify buying it again just for the Switch (Even though it is a very very very good game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I hope Nintendo bring out their game on E3 because at the moment there aren't that many releases that I care about to fully justify getting the Switch. Other than Splatoon 2, that is.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Zelda.

Zelda is a justifier.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Infinitum posted:

Zelda.

Zelda is a justifier.

I already have it on the Wii U.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Oh poo poo I forgot about ARMS. Man, they've been quiet on that front lately. Isn't it scheduled for release this spring? We're almost halfway through the season.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Rexroom posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot about ARMS. Man, they've been quiet on that front lately. Isn't it scheduled for release this spring? We're almost halfway through the season.

ARMS WHEN

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I normally argue with jivjov but I can't agree with the sentiment that people who bought Mario Kart 8 for the Wii U should receive a discount on Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for the Switch? If anything the Switch version could be cheaper for everyone but in general I hate the whole idea that Wii U owners got "burned" and need to be compensated because the system didn't sell well and is being replaced after "only" five years. The Wii U is a very good console with great games and I bought and paid for those games, I'm glad I did, I had fun playing them.

I mean I'd love to save money it'd be awesome for me but I don't think Nintendo owes it to me.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 4, 2017

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
The Last of Us remaster arguably had more improvements than Mario Kart will and came out only one year later instead of three and that was cheaper. I don't think Nintendo owes anyone anything, but their competitors do most things so much better than them it sucks to see them do dumb poo poo in comparison.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

You can amazon trade in your physical copy of the wii u version for 22 bucks off.

get MK8 Deluxe
get physical
get good scrub

jk I love you :buddy:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

MK8 has to be digital so it lives on your system forever.

Wish Nintendo did a trade-in where you send them your physical game copy and they send you a download code for the same game.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Tender Bender posted:

I normally argue with jivjov but I can't agree with the sentiment that people who bought Mario Kart 8 for the Wii U should receive a discount on Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for the Switch? If anything the Switch version could be cheaper for everyone but in general I hate the whole idea that Wii U owners got "burned" and need to be compensated because the system didn't sell well and is being replaced after "only" five years. The Wii U is a very good console with great games and I bought and paid for those games, I'm glad I did, I had fun playing them.

I mean I'd love to save money it'd be awesome for me but I don't think Nintendo owes it to me.

It really should be cheaper out of the gate. Just about every remastered game on other platforms is often much cheaper than $60. But Nintendo.

I guess being able to trade MK8 in for $25 is condolence enough. I'm not complaining, I just think it's rich and typical of Nintendo to charge full price for a remastered game, sans the good DLC content. At least Mario Kart 8 is worth it, the game's incredible.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
Someone else used my Switch and now the left joy con is all hosed up when trying to click it in while holding it in the forward position, is this a problem for anyone else or did they probably manhandle it so hard that they janked up my controller?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

lovely Wizard posted:

Someone else used my Switch and now the left joy con is all hosed up when trying to click it in while holding it in the forward position, is this a problem for anyone else or did they probably manhandle it so hard that they janked up my controller?

Sounds like they messed it up. Make them buy you a new joycon.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Check whether it fits correctly into the grip. If the joycon attaches jankily to both the system and grip, your friend messed up the controller and you should yell at them. If it only attaches jankily to the system and slides into the grip just fine, your friend messed up the rail on the system itself and you should yell at them extra hard.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

SeANMcBAY posted:

Sounds like they messed it up. Make them buy you a new joycon.

I'll see if Nintendo will do a warranty fix first. I should check to see if it has the interference issues that other left joycons have in case that'd help me secure the replacement.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Check whether it fits correctly into the grip. If the joycon attaches jankily to both the system and grip, your friend messed up the controller and you should yell at them. If it only attaches jankily to the system and slides into the grip just fine, your friend messed up the rail on the system itself and you should yell at them extra hard.

It's the left joycon's joystick, not the rail parts. If the above warranty plan doesn't work then yeah I will be mad since it doesn't seem to be a common issue online.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Rexroom posted:

We are 2 weeks into spring.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Ometeotl posted:

We are 2 weeks into spring.

I don't know what calendar you're following, but by spring I mean the calendar season of March, April and May.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
There have been a lot of remasters on the various platforms over time. If you were lucky enough to own them on PC you often got them for free (Bioshock, Skyrim). However, if you didn't and had them on a different console you still had to buy them again.

MK8 deluxe includes the base game, all the DLC and a new mode with new tracks. It's £42 on amazon which is cheaper by £3 than base MK8 was when I bought it for my WiiU.

Binding of Isaac Switch contains the base game, the two expansions and will have the booster packs. It's only £4 more expensive than buying each individually on Steam which is the only other place to get the second expansion. Plus it is now portable and runs near flawlessly.

I would prefer brand new games to remasters, but when it's worked out so well for other consoles and the WiiU sold so poorly, I can understand why Nintendo would do it.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

If you have a pair of underwear and gain 200 pounds, you don't get to take it to a tailor and get them refitted for free either

not that the analogy even really makes sense in the first place but the upshot is "porting a game to a new console is not generally cheap and easy", if you buy skyrim on steam you don't yell at bethesda about how them not giving you a free copy of it for ps4 is highway robbery so I'm not sure why it's suddenly worse when Nintendo does it, beyond "this is the nintendo thread and people come in looking for reasons to bitch about stuff"

This is exactly the sort of post that shows a complete lack of interest in discussing anything at all in a Nintendo thread that isn't glowing loving praise for everything they do. It's the sort of poo poo that has gone on in these forums in pretty much every single Nintendo thread that gets closed, and in some cases it doesn't help that mods have participated in this crap up until fairly recently.

We did have a separate discussion thread for the Wii U and Nintendo at one point because some goons were getting really upset at any criticism directed at their favorite company, and the thread behavior that usually ensued could be kindly described as 'disruptive'. What ended up happening with that thread was goons going out of their way to poo poo all over any discussion that was happening there, until eventually the thread was locked.

People regularly post criticism about Sony and Microsoft in their respective threads, and there is plenty to criticize about their consoles and business practices. It doesn't get shut down en masse with anywhere near the same level of zealotry. The biggest Sony fans still complain, rightfully so, about how utterly garbage PSN's connectivity is. The XB One has had actual discussion about its flaws outside of its dedicated mock thread. Why's it such a big deal here? Why was it a big deal with the Wii U? With the Wii? The 3DS?

It's not even limited to discussion about Nintendo consoles. It happens with individual games on the consoles. There's the usual goon shitposting that passes for humor, but then there's this. A plea to shut out any actual conversation that isn't just unmitigated, unconditional, poorly punctuated praise.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Is it not odd to anyone else that "the passage of time" somehow deteriorates the value of a video game that is still extremely good and hasn't changed since its release? Like, when did we decide that all video games, regardless of quality, must experience some sort of value rot?

I understand the idea of a sequel or a natural evolution to a game sometimes invalidates the original game, deteriorating its value, but a game like, for instance, Super Mario 3D World is a unique experience that hasn't been built on or improved yet; just because it's however many years old doesn't automatically mean we are owed some sort of discount on it.

I think the reason people get so up in arms about defending Nintendo sometimes is because there are way too many people that have, quite frankly, unreasonable personal expectations for them and what they do. Nintendo is somehow a bad company, because they don't reduce the price on their first party games/release their games outside of their own console ecosystem/give players who don't buy amiibo all the amiibo-only items/etc. They're not a perfect company, and they do make baffling decisions at times. This can't be argued. What can be argued is that, to some people, literally everything they ever do is wrong, because it doesn't cater to my specific use cases all the time and is therefore anti-consumer.

That's my two cents anyway.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

turnways posted:

Skyrim was probably one of the worst examples you could've picked because they gave the upgraded version for free to Steam owners of the original version almost entirely because that was the base for the PS4/Xbox One versions.

Point, although I have to wonder how much of that was because someone in the company said "you're releasing a version with better textures, people have been modding that in since day 2 for free"

That said, I somehow doubt they're doing to be as magnanimous for the Switch version.

(If they are I'll eat my words though)

fivegears4reverse posted:

This is exactly the sort of post that shows a complete lack of interest in discussing anything at all in a Nintendo thread that isn't glowing loving praise for everything they do. It's the sort of poo poo that has gone on in these forums in pretty much every single Nintendo thread that gets closed, and in some cases it doesn't help that mods have participated in this crap up until fairly recently.

We did have a separate discussion thread for the Wii U and Nintendo at one point because some goons were getting really upset at any criticism directed at their favorite company, and the thread behavior that usually ensued could be kindly described as 'disruptive'. What ended up happening with that thread was goons going out of their way to poo poo all over any discussion that was happening there, until eventually the thread was locked.

People regularly post criticism about Sony and Microsoft in their respective threads, and there is plenty to criticize about their consoles and business practices. It doesn't get shut down en masse with anywhere near the same level of zealotry. The biggest Sony fans still complain, rightfully so, about how utterly garbage PSN's connectivity is. The XB One has had actual discussion about its flaws outside of its dedicated mock thread. Why's it such a big deal here? Why was it a big deal with the Wii U? With the Wii? The 3DS?

It's not even limited to discussion about Nintendo consoles. It happens with individual games on the consoles. There's the usual goon shitposting that passes for humor, but then there's this. A plea to shut out any actual conversation that isn't just unmitigated, unconditional, poorly punctuated praise.

:allears:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Binding of Isaac Switch contains the base game, the two expansions and will have the booster packs. It's only £4 more expensive than buying each individually on Steam which is the only other place to get the second expansion. Plus it is now portable and runs near flawlessly.

Did you suck it up and make a US account to get BoI yet?

Cause it owns bones in portable mode.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Infinitum posted:

Did you suck it up and make a US account to get BoI yet?

Cause it owns bones in portable mode.

:( yes.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Also, my goodness it is amazing on the switch. It is the system seller for me that I knew it would be.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Takoluka posted:

Is it not odd to anyone else that "the passage of time" somehow deteriorates the value of a video game that is still extremely good and hasn't changed since its release? Like, when did we decide that all video games, regardless of quality, must experience some sort of value rot?

I understand the idea of a sequel or a natural evolution to a game sometimes invalidates the original game, deteriorating its value, but a game like, for instance, Super Mario 3D World is a unique experience that hasn't been built on or improved yet; just because it's however many years old doesn't automatically mean we are owed some sort of discount on it.

I think the reason people get so up in arms about defending Nintendo sometimes is because there are way too many people that have, quite frankly, unreasonable personal expectations for them and what they do. Nintendo is somehow a bad company, because they don't reduce the price on their first party games/release their games outside of their own console ecosystem/give players who don't buy amiibo all the amiibo-only items/etc. They're not a perfect company, and they do make baffling decisions at times. This can't be argued. What can be argued is that, to some people, literally everything they ever do is wrong, because it doesn't cater to my specific use cases all the time and is therefore anti-consumer.

That's my two cents anyway.

Well the games go down in price over time because you get everyone who is willing to pay full price in the first few months, then you lower the price by say £10, and you get everyone who will buy it at that price point, then you lower it again by £10 and so on. Eventually it hits the bargain bin or a humble bundle or such and you sell to everyone who is remotely interested in the game at all.

As for why Nintendo games don't go down in price, there's all sorts of arguments you could make, like Nintendo trying to cultivate a "premium brand" feel to its products. You could argue Nintendo fans will pay full whack when the game comes out, and no-one else will buy it, so lowering the price doesn't make sense. There's probably other reasons you can come up with.

Your attempt to portray people who disagree with you about the Nintendo's pricing structure as rabid or as unreasonable is a bit irritating though. The reason consumers expect lower prices over time is because every other company does it, and there must be a reason why, so to see one company not doing is frustrating.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe isn't even out yet. They're going to release it at full price to get all the consumers that are willing to buy it at full price.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

jivjov posted:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe isn't even out yet. They're going to release it at full price to get all the consumers that are willing to buy it at full price.

Absolutely. And I have it pre-ordered for £40 on Amazon, and that seems like a very reasonable price.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Takoluka posted:

When people buy the game, and play it, and then sell it used for some smaller fraction of the price, developers don't see a cent of it. So it's in their best interest to reduce prices over time to combat the secondary market and continue getting value from their original investment. Everyone, Nintendo included, fairly regularly has (or at least had) Greatest/Platinum Hit reprintings of their 1st party games at half-off or lower the original game's price.

Additionally, as the hardware and game design in general matures, not all games age gracefully. I surely hope you're not arguing that someone should be paying original retail value for King's Quest or Pac Man.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
EVERYTHING from the Wii U is going to get a rerelease. A full price rerelease.

Amiibos will be a gold mine again, every non-breath of the wild LoZ amiibo is constantly out of stock on normal sites/stores and actually selling (not just listed) for $30 or more on ebay/amazon, and counterfeit NFC cards flashed with LoZ amiibo are selling for $13+ on ebay.

Amiibos struggling to be clearanced for $5 will be selling for $13 or more if they're tied to meaningful content.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

lovely Wizard posted:

EVERYTHING from the Wii U is going to get a rerelease.

I hope so

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Also, my goodness it is amazing on the switch. It is the system seller for me that I knew it would be.

Good. It's incredible.

I was trepidatious about dropping so much on it, but it's absolutely incredible in handheld mode. I play a good hour or so every night atm because I'm a masochist who is trying to do Delerium runs with Judas :suicide:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Good. It's incredible.

I was trepidatious about dropping so much on it, but it's absolutely incredible in handheld mode. I play a good hour or so every night atm because I'm a masochist who is trying to do Delerium runs with Judas :suicide:

Judas is the best character in the game though?? Knocking out completion marks with him is an absolute treat.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

parallelodad posted:

The bigger the console the more Bluetooth you can fit in.

Blueteeth.

(I'm a few days behind this thread but I thought my clever joke shouldn't be wasted as a result.)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Judas is the best character in the game though?? Knocking out completion marks with him is an absolute treat.

On hard mode at like 1am when I'm half asleep getting 1shot :suicide:

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

Gah I may have to also do this. Did you have to buy eshop cards? Or is there another way?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

lovely Wizard posted:

Amiibos will be a gold mine again, every non-breath of the wild LoZ amiibo is constantly out of stock on normal sites/stores and actually selling (not just listed) for $30 or more on ebay/amazon, and counterfeit NFC cards flashed with LoZ amiibo are selling for $13+ on ebay.

Amiibos struggling to be clearanced for $5 will be selling for $13 or more if they're tied to meaningful content.

AMIIBO SALES ARE SOARING BUY BUY BUY!!!

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

lovely Wizard posted:

Can't wait for Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 1+2 on Switch.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lobstertainment posted:

Gah I may have to also do this. Did you have to buy eshop cards? Or is there another way?

I bought a $50 eshop card through playasia. Even though it's $39.99 there is flipping sales tax that gets added on after the fact :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

VideoGames posted:

Isaac's so good, but I say this as someone who first played it on the Switch. I've already put in around 100 hours. Well worth it, even though it looks like (and began as) a lovely free flash web game.

• Locked thread